THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Page 3 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#606920 - 06/22/10 02:19 PM Re: State to test gillnet alternatives on Columbia Riv [Re: ]
stlhdr1 Offline
BUCK NASTY!!

Loc: Vancouver, WA
Originally Posted By: AuntyM
Originally Posted By: Todd
Bill, disregard virtually all that LB has to say...he's expressed an utter inability to grasp anything involving fish management beyond "send $25 to Texas"...start talking actual management activities and he gets lost before the first sentence is over.

Fish on...

Todd

Funny, because except for the one thing you two don't agree on, CCA, you both agree on a whole lot more than you realize. You don't see him claiming all we need are MORE hatchery fish. He also won't hug the Snake River dams or waste our time whining about the Boldt decision.

His passion is apparent to anyone who meets him, NOT about CCA, but about protecting what's left of the resources.

You sure about that Aunty? I figured LB's passion was running around with a red rubber nose on....

Keith thumbs

#606932 - 06/22/10 02:54 PM Re: State to test gillnet alternatives on Columbia Riv [Re: stlhdr1]
Fast and Furious Offline
River Nutrients

Thanks M.

Keith, Im very sorry I missed your birthday party. I hope you like the bike. thumbs

#606937 - 06/22/10 03:18 PM Re: State to test gillnet alternatives on Columbia Riv [Re: ]
Illahee Offline
River Nutrients

Originally Posted By: freespool
Originally Posted By: SBD
The HSRG has used these products to review and provide recommendations for state, tribal and federal hatchery programs; first in Puget Sound and coastal Washington (2001&#150;05) and now in the Columbia River Basin (2006&#150;08). The HSRG&#146;s specific recommendations are not presented as the only possible solution, but rather as a clear demonstration that current hatchery programs can be redirected to better meet both conservation and harvest goals.

Just reading the report Aunty, I didn't write it! beer

I had a chance to talk to Oregon's leading Gubernatorial candidate, and he's a firm supporter of SAFE For Salmon Plan.

I don't know how many of us "up here in Washington" are impressed with Oregon's politics. I think we rank it lower than our own, which is pretty low!

Quite frankly Aunty I really don't care what you think about Oregon politics, what I do care about is fisheries management of the CR.
Having a sport fishing advocate in the Governor's office is a real plus, and one that opposes giving commercials more opportunity, and sports less, is even better.
Removing all commercial presents from the mainstem CR and shifting the 2% ESA allocation equals more sport opportunity.

#606949 - 06/22/10 03:44 PM Re: State to test gillnet alternatives on Columbia Riv [Re: Illahee]
boater Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: common sense ave.

Removing all commercial presents from the mainstem CR and shifting the 2% ESA allocation equals more sport opportunity.

looks like we have 3 choices,

1) ban the non-tribal gillnetters totally from the columbia

2) put the gillnetters in the safe area`s and leave them there

3) change the gillnetters to a selective method so they can catch more fish in the main stem and still have them gillnet in the safe area`s.

#606951 - 06/22/10 03:46 PM Re: State to test gillnet alternatives on Columbia Riv [Re: boater]
Illahee Offline
River Nutrients

Originally Posted By: boater

looks like we have 3 choices,

1) ban the non-tribal gillnetters totally from the columbia

2) put the gillnetters in the safe area`s and leave them there

3) change the gillnetters to a selective method so they can catch more fish in the main stem and still have them gillnet in the safe area`s.

1 and 2 give sports more opportunity, 3 takes it away.

#606960 - 06/22/10 04:11 PM Re: State to test gillnet alternatives on Columbia Riv [Re: ]
Illahee Offline
River Nutrients

Quote:
Removing all commercial presents from the mainstem CR and shifting the 2% ESA allocation equals more sport opportunity

That's one of them thar Freudian slips. rofl

Freespool, if you believe what a politician claims his position is in order to get elected, you're naive to say the least. Without a track record to prove he is what he says he is, I wouldn't put an ounce of faith in him.

Rossi said he was "for" sportfishing too. rofl

Oh but he does have a clear track record for supporting our fisheries and sport fishing
in particular.
What's even better is his opponent doesn't have any record at all, for anything, well except for the NBA, but just like Washington politics, I really don't give a rip.

#606964 - 06/22/10 04:24 PM Re: State to test gillnet alternatives on Columbia Riv [Re: ]
stlhdr1 Offline
BUCK NASTY!!

Keith, I hate to break the news to you... and the rest of cyberspace, but LB does NOT agree with CCA on everything and neither do I. It's not much different than having a spouse that you occasionally disagree with. You don't fight in public, you do it in the privacy of your own home so as not to create a scene.

In fact, I bet some on CCA's state board and paid staff think I am a PAIN IN THE A$$ because I am just as outspoken with them as I am here. I know most of WDFW that has had to deal with me think so.

I don't get involved to be liked or be popular like so many here. I am driven to stand by and defend my principals and that's EXACTLY what I do.

Understood Aunty.....

But the fact LB wants to give the commercial fleet more opportunity with alternative gear rather than force them off the river as CCA preached in the beginning bugs the [censored] out of me....

Keith

#606994 - 06/22/10 07:57 PM Re: State to test gillnet alternatives on Columbia Riv [Re: stlhdr1]
Todd Offline
Dick Nipples

Loc: Seattle, Washington USA
I'm not talking about the possibility that LB might want the same things I do, I'm talking about his utter inability to contemplate how to get those things, or how some of his ideas about how to get them run directly counter to getting them, in practice.

I'm for good ideas, and the folks who have them...I'm against both bad ideas, and those who have them, even if they are nominally "on my side"...just like a good idea doesn't care who has it, neither does a bad idea, and folks who have good intentions and not a whit of knowledge or understanding about how their "ideas" will effect them, sometimes very badly, need to either be educated or shut up.

LB has already proven he won't be educated, so I guess the second possibility is the best one to use.

Fish on...

Todd

Team Flying Super Ditch Pickle

#606996 - 06/22/10 08:10 PM Re: State to test gillnet alternatives on Columbia Riv [Re: ]
OntheColumbia Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Columbia Co. Oregon

I don't know how many of us "up here in Washington" are impressed with Oregon's politics. I think we rank it lower than our own, which is pretty low!

We wish our governor would overhaul the ODFW Commission like Gregoire has tried to do up there!

#606997 - 06/22/10 08:14 PM Re: State to test gillnet alternatives on Columbia Riv [Re: stlhdr1]
Fast and Furious Offline
River Nutrients

write a fat check and maybe you can ban commercial fishing on the Columbia. They will sit out beyond the mouth of the river and it wont change a dam thing. Alaska catches 60 percent of the kings coming to CR and PS. Commercial have already been told, selective or you dont fish. Safe areas plants are being increased with surplus fish. Selective gear in those areas will help sports keep the season open longer.

Right now, this minute, if the sports were not fishing selective for clipped KINGs in the ocean, the season would be closed.

Im not happy about losing some of the hatchery fisheries, but the govt itself and scientist have already determined what they are going to do. With recovery, there will eventually be some wild fish seasons, but the escapement numbers are different for each river.

Bottom line. you are pissing on the wrong people.

#607000 - 06/22/10 08:35 PM Re: State to test gillnet alternatives on Columbia Riv [Re: Fast and Furious]
stlhdr1 Offline
BUCK NASTY!!

Originally Posted By: Lead Bouncer
Safe areas plants are being increased with surplus fish.

Show me that documentation.... You making that # up too?

Keith

#607001 - 06/22/10 08:41 PM Re: State to test gillnet alternatives on Columbia Riv [Re: stlhdr1]
Fast and Furious Offline
River Nutrients

Ask the state.

#607006 - 06/22/10 08:49 PM Re: State to test gillnet alternatives on Columbia Riv [Re: Fast and Furious]
stlhdr1 Offline
BUCK NASTY!!

How are SAFE areas even called selective fishing..... Why push it to that?

Examples 2009:
The combined Youngs Bay winter/spring/summer fishery stock composition is based on VSI and CWT analysis with a total of 1,098 Chinook (35% of the combined catch of 3,123 Chinook) examined for fin marks and CWTs and 86 CWTs collected. The 2009 combined winter/spring/summer catch was comprised of 63.5% spring Chinook and 23.0% SAB fall Chinook destined for Select Area sites, 2.8% upriver spring Chinook, 0.7% upper Columbia summer Chinook (after June 15), 4.9% Willamette River spring Chinook, and 5.2% spring Chinook destined for the Cowlitz, Kalama, Lewis, or Sandy rivers. Based on scale readings, which were verified with CWTs, the age composition of the catch was <1% Age-2 (all SAB jacks), 13% Age-3, 70% Age-4, 16% Age-5, and <1% Age-6 fish.

Example Deep River 2009:
The Deep River winter/spring fishery stock composition was based on VSI and CWT analysis with a total of 122 Chinook (100% of the catch) examined for fin marks and CWTs, and 12 CWTs being collected. The 2009 Deep River catch was comprised of 59.0% spring Chinook destined for Select Area sites, 13.1% upriver spring Chinook, 17.2% Willamette River spring Chinook, and 10.7% spring Chinook destined for the Cowlitz, Kalama, or Lewis rivers. Based on scale readings, verified with CWTs, the age composition of the catch was <1% Age-3, 37% Age-4, and 62% Age-5.

I still don't understand going in that direction??

Keith

#607008 - 06/22/10 09:12 PM Re: State to test gillnet alternatives on Columbia Riv [Re: Fast and Furious]
stlhdr1 Offline
BUCK NASTY!!

Ask the state.

No documentation? So it's just hear say?

Keith

#607012 - 06/22/10 09:32 PM Re: State to test gillnet alternatives on Columbia Riv [Re: Fast and Furious]
boater Offline
Three Time Spawner

With recovery, there will eventually be some wild fish seasons, but the escapement numbers are different for each river.

where is this recovery plan located so i can read it ?, do you have a link ?

#607021 - 06/22/10 10:31 PM Re: State to test gillnet alternatives on Columbia Riv [Re: stlhdr1]
Fast and Furious Offline
River Nutrients

Originally Posted By: stlhdr1
Ask the state.

Keith

Oh, you want me to go out of my way, to prove it?

I'll get right on that.

#607029 - 06/22/10 10:58 PM Re: State to test gillnet alternatives on Columbia Riv [Re: Fast and Furious]
boater Offline
Three Time Spawner

Ask the state.

Keith

I'll get right on that.

even if they are moving some it wont be that many.

#607037 - 06/22/10 11:51 PM Re: State to test gillnet alternatives on Columbia Riv [Re: Fast and Furious]
stlhdr1 Offline
BUCK NASTY!!

Ask the state.

Keith

I'll get right on that.

No, I'm not asking to go out of your way. I was just curious... I couldn't find any facts that supported it. Sounds like at this point it's not documented and just hear say though...

Keith

#607055 - 06/23/10 12:45 AM Re: State to test gillnet alternatives on Columbia Riv [Re: billjr64]
billjr64 Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: SW WA.
Originally Posted By: billjr64
Unfortunately it`s not just the new {outlawed} selective commercial fisheries. Hatcheries are being assaulted on all sides. From reform that basically means minimal plants to out right closures. My favorite stream had a weir put in at the mouth this past winter. Wondered where all the fish went, even the coho weren`t there, then I fished down to the mouth after 4-5 trips without success. Weir was stopping ALL fish migration. I guess they were passing the natives as I caught a few upriver. Real shock though to see NO christmas coho where before there were many. ALOT fewer native steelhead too, wonder if the weir at the mouth made them change there minds. Heard of a few more of these weirs in local streams near the mouths. Has our fish and wildlife people gone crazy? They`re about to bite the hand that feeds them and they have no clue as to the consequences. Bill

Long day at work today, like to expand on this a bit. This is a perfect example of what could happen on the Columbia with weirs and seines. Proponents of the change to these methods have been saying all kinds of things such as we`re chicken littles or we`re watching for the black helicopters. Or that the fishing will somehow be more productive if the hatchery fish are removed.Yet in this example some think it`s funny that I wasted my time fishing above a weir. Wonder how funny they`ll think it is when thousands of sports waste their time fishing above weirs and seines? The gillnetters were the ones who pushed to outlaw those methods because they couldn`t catch fish above them with a GILLNET. Sports aren`t gonna have a prayer. And the upriver tribes will be pissed. Bill

#607061 - 06/23/10 01:31 AM Re: State to test gillnet alternatives on Columbia Riv [Re: billjr64]
boater Offline
Three Time Spawner

Originally Posted By: billjr64

Wonder how funny they`ll think it is when thousands of sports waste their time fishing above weirs and seines?

bill, these people dont think that changing the gillnetters to a selective method will effect sportfishing, they are just that stupid.

Page 3 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Cameron D., FlyingFish, NEfishLdo, shinnecock1
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 912 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14489
Salmo g. 13526
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63783 Topics
645421 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |