THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Page 6 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#607913 - 06/27/10 02:11 PM Re: State to test gillnet alternatives on Columbia Riv [Re: SBD]
Fast and Furious Offline
River Nutrients

Wow, two comedians.

Re:the face off article. Proposed initiative wont happen this year. 2011 is an off year. Therefore 2012.

What should bother you is the idea of fighting about the two proposals for the next two fking years.

At this point the safe areas appear to have the edge. They are adding surplus fish with two hatcheries and the only disadvantage is the waiting period for the fish to return and providing enough so the commercials will get an even trade for the harvest they would lose in the main stem.

If you go back and read the article on page two, it refers to Hudson who is playing the victim card about tribal fisheries. More likely, some of the tribe just dont want to give up gillnetting and they never wanted mark selective fish. (a battle they lost).

Selective gear must continue to move forward because the tribes in Washington are co-managers and they are required to reduce their ESA impacts. Tribes that will adopt it, not only for wild fish separation but species separation. (the muckleshoots did not net the Green last year, to protect wild steelhead) Yet, in order to get the sport harvest open on the green for humpys, sporties had to reduce the size of the hook to a half inch gap, to reduce snagging of the chinook, that the tribe was concerned about in NOF. This year the tribe is waiting for in season population updates before they fish, according to Steve T from the dept, who spoke to the Renton PSA club.

IF we could benefit from bay area selective harvest in Grays harbor County and Pacific County (where they dont use the CR allocation method) it benefits the fish if the tribes fish selectively. It keeps the season open longer for sports.

How can we pressure BC and Ak to stop fishing over lower 48 fish, if we will not adopt selective gear? By fishing near fresh water, they are catching mature fish and not our lower 48 fish. They could set slot limits and scan fish for clipped fish and tagged fish. Whatever is possible, they have more options than using gillnets. The Troll fishery is SE AK is a different animal.

Admittedly, the AK BC is just an idea with no knowledge of the agreement, but so far, we get back less than half the fish. Letting the perfect stand in the way of the good, over a few fish in the columbia is rather short sighted. It also affects Puget Sound. There isnt much point in spending a lot of money on habitat, if you wont let the fish get back to it.

Edited by Lead Bouncer (06/27/10 02:16 PM)

#607942 - 06/27/10 05:05 PM Re: State to test gillnet alternatives on Columbia Riv [Re: Fast and Furious]
Illahee Offline
River Nutrients

Would you please post any data that shows AK and BC is catching half our CR springers.
You seem to like that fact, so let's see some facts that back it up.

#607953 - 06/27/10 06:15 PM Re: State to test gillnet alternatives on Columbia Riv [Re: ]
Illahee Offline
River Nutrients

As far as I'm concerned they can use dynamite or Q Tips, as long as they are out of the mainstem, it really doesn't matter what they use as a harvest tool.

#608033 - 06/27/10 11:55 PM Re: State to test gillnet alternatives on Columbia Riv [Re: Illahee]
billjr64 Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: SW WA.
Originally Posted By: freespool
As far as I'm concerned they can use dynamite or Q Tips, as long as they are out of the mainstem, it really doesn't matter what they use as a harvest tool.

I agree, seems this year was a fluke with all the high water. Yet those "bycatch" numbers will be heard for years to put down the safe areas. I`d like to see some numbers from past years, I don`t think you`ll see near as many upriver salmon during a normal year. Another thing, I believe the commercials in the safe areas would have more leeway with preditor control, get rid of some terms and cormorants, maybe pop a few mammals. I`d like to see them get a 10% SAR return ,or maybe better on their/our investment.Bill

#608035 - 06/28/10 12:05 AM Re: State to test gillnet alternatives on Columbia Riv [Re: billjr64]
SBD Offline
clown flocker

Loc: Water
I think when all the numbers are in you will see it averaged over the 99% range or less than 200 wild mortality's for 20000 fish harvested. I'm more concerned about the selective fishery in the ocean where in 2 posts I count at least 4 fish dead and nothing kept.

There's a sucker born every minute

#608042 - 06/28/10 12:36 AM Re: State to test gillnet alternatives on Columbia Riv [Re: SBD]
billjr64 Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: SW WA.
Originally Posted By: SBD
I think when all the numbers are in you will see it averaged over the 99% range or less than 200 wild mortality's for 20000 fish harvested. I'm more concerned about the selective fishery in the ocean where in 2 posts I count at least 4 fish dead and nothing kept.

99% seems selective enough to me, bring on the dynamite and q-tips. Bill

#608050 - 06/28/10 01:07 AM Re: State to test gillnet alternatives on Columbia Riv [Re: billjr64]
Fast and Furious Offline
River Nutrients

Originally Posted By: billjr64

The perfect quote for the future. So, in 2012, when [if] the commercials are fishing the safe areas and out of the main stem, you wont bother coming out against selective gear in the safe areas. You wont be dealing with 20k fish in the safe areas. You can probably add whatever they use to catch in the main stem to that number and a corresponding number of wild fish and up river brights.

No issues with game fish status for sturgeon either, right?

#608055 - 06/28/10 01:47 AM Re: State to test gillnet alternatives on Columbia Riv [Re: Fast and Furious]
stlhdr1 Offline
BUCK NASTY!!

Loc: Vancouver, WA
Originally Posted By: Lead Bouncer
Originally Posted By: billjr64

The perfect quote for the future. So, in 2012, when [if] the commercials are fishing the safe areas and out of the main stem, you wont bother coming out against selective gear in the safe areas. You wont be dealing with 20k fish in the safe areas. You can probably add whatever they use to catch in the main stem to that number and a corresponding number of wild fish and up river brights.

No issues with game fish status for sturgeon either, right?

Good luck............. But, you're dreaming.......

I wish I had a $1 for every BS statement and number you put up on these boards.... I could buy a new boat already....

It's almost like you go to CCA meeting and pluck mythical #'s from Gary's bullshot Cedar Creek hatchbox theories.... Time to wake up and peer out of the little world you are in...

Keith thumbs

#608066 - 06/28/10 04:31 AM Re: State to test gillnet alternatives on Columbia Riv [Re: stlhdr1]
Fast and Furious Offline
River Nutrients

Gee, its almost like, you care what I think. So far, that would add up to $1725.00
Maybe you should wish for a raise.

#608088 - 06/28/10 11:32 AM Re: State to test gillnet alternatives on Columbia Riv [Re: Fast and Furious]
stlhdr1 Offline
BUCK NASTY!!

Originally Posted By: Lead Bouncer

Maybe you should wish for a raise.

Yeah, or just more hatchery plants in systems that won't effect these wild fish.....

Keith thumbs

#608252 - 06/29/10 01:27 AM Re: State to test gillnet alternatives on Columbia Riv [Re: ]
boater Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: common sense ave.
Originally Posted By: AuntyM

I've yet to see you at a legislative hearing in front of Jacobsen or Blake's committees. rofl

why would i stand in front of blake and tell him i want the commercials to go selective and harvest more fish ??

#608288 - 06/29/10 02:16 PM Re: State to test gillnet alternatives on Columbia Riv [Re: ]
Illahee Offline
River Nutrients

Aunty, Boater might not win any popularity contests, but he seems to have grasped the concept that when commercials switch to a more selective harvest method in the mainstem CR, the up river sport anglers slice of the harvest pie will shrink.

#608290 - 06/29/10 02:25 PM Re: State to test gillnet alternatives on Columbia Riv [Re: Illahee]
SBD Offline
clown flocker

Loc: Water
It's really not that tough a concept, but it amazes me how many people are having a hard time grasping it. Tribes know what it means for them since there behind 2 other user groups, if the ocean goes selective then more unused impacts will need to be transferred to them so they can harvest there 50%..Wild fish saved..Zilch and as far as I'm concerned its already having a negative impact on the wild populations. Hatchery tags need to be used in terminal area's only.

There's a sucker born every minute

#608296 - 06/29/10 02:46 PM Re: State to test gillnet alternatives on Columbia Riv [Re: ]
stlhdr1 Offline
BUCK NASTY!!

I'm almost to the point that I would give it all to them, just to piss off those who spend all their time bitching on the internet about CCA.

moose

That pretty much summerizes the CCA bandwagoners.... Get out of the way or get run over.... Sad really... Science and Math apparently aren't of recognition of those headed down the path of no return.....

No pun intended Aunty....

Keith thumbs

#608305 - 06/29/10 03:26 PM Re: State to test gillnet alternatives on Columbia Riv [Re: ]
Illahee Offline
River Nutrients

I'm almost to the point that I would give it all to them, just to piss off those who spend all their time bitching on the internet about CCA.

moose

And that's why your known as the internet's biggest gas bag.

#608312 - 06/29/10 03:52 PM Re: State to test gillnet alternatives on Columbia Riv [Re: ]
boater Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: common sense ave.

Why don't you stand in front of Blake and tell him you don't want the commercials to go selective?

Because you only like to be a troll on the internet, not take a stand in public or actually DO something. Tell us again what you have accomplished for sport fishers????

rofl

be honest, do you think the CCA is doing anything for sportfishers in pushing for the gillnetters to go selective and catch more fish ?

#608315 - 06/29/10 03:59 PM Re: State to test gillnet alternatives on Columbia Riv [Re: boater]
stlhdr1 Offline
BUCK NASTY!!

Originally Posted By: boater

Why don't you stand in front of Blake and tell him you don't want the commercials to go selective?

Because you only like to be a troll on the internet, not take a stand in public or actually DO something. Tell us again what you have accomplished for sport fishers????

rofl

be honest, do you think the CCA is doing anything for sportfishers in pushing for the gillnetters to go selective and catch more fish ?

They don't have an answer that you want Boater... They'll never admit that it will give away opportunity....

Keith

#608362 - 06/29/10 07:39 PM Re: State to test gillnet alternatives on Columbia Riv [Re: ]
Illahee Offline
River Nutrients

Originally Posted By: stlhdr1
Originally Posted By: boater

rofl

They don't have an answer that you want Boater... They'll never admit that it will give away opportunity....

Keith

Because there is nothing to admit. If commercials have to fish selectively only in SAFE areas, then it will increase sport mainstem opportunity.

Oh, so now the plan is to put the commercials into the SAFE Areas and make them fish selectively?
Great idea, glad CCA is in the game, where would we be without them?
So does that mean CCA is going to take credit for the SAFE For Salmon idea?
Texas called, they said to send more money.

#608365 - 06/29/10 08:27 PM Re: State to test gillnet alternatives on Columbia Riv [Re: Illahee]
Todd Offline
Dick Nipples

Loc: Seattle, Washington USA
I haven't heard any suggestion whatsoever from anyone except for a couple of people here that the plan is that the commercial guys will only fish the SAFE areas, and will only use selective gear when they do...no way in hell they or the States will agree to that.

Fish on...

Todd

Team Flying Super Ditch Pickle

#608367 - 06/29/10 08:35 PM Re: State to test gillnet alternatives on Columbia Riv [Re: Todd]
Illahee Offline
River Nutrients

Originally Posted By: Todd
I haven't heard any suggestion whatsoever from anyone except for a couple of people here that the plan is that the commercial guys will only fish the SAFE areas, and will only use selective gear when they do...no way in hell they or the States will agree to that.

Fish on...

Todd

It's the first I've heard of it, this seems more like Aunty just thinking out loud, or is this a major switch in CCA's direction, with regard to CR fish management issues?
If it is in fact a position shift, I'm not opposed, it really doesn't matter how fish are harvested in the SAFE Areas, they are by location a selective fishery.

Page 6 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Carcassman, Clipfin, Danny Clyde, Dannyboy, dk1948, Twitch
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1026 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63778 Topics
645362 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |