Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#611874 - 07/20/10 04:55 PM Kayak Point Fishing
Bigjim Offline
will always be a Juvenile at Sea

I have been fishing this area 3 times this year and all I have got to report out of it is a SRC follow on a spoon, several hand sized flounder and bullheads galore. Anyone got any tips on this fishery, I am not necessarily in search of salmonoids here I just want to hook something bigger than my hand.

I find myself fishing it often as it is pretty kid friendly, and when I got the 3 year old in tow my fishing spots get limited quickly.

I am thinking of just taking a stiff pole, my waders, and some shrimp and bottom fish out there. Tips appreciated.

#611919 - 07/20/10 07:47 PM Re: Kayak Point Fishing [Re: Bigjim]
steeleywhopper Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: snohomish county
bring some sandies and fish for perch off the pier.

#611966 - 07/20/10 11:03 PM Re: Kayak Point Fishing [Re: steeleywhopper]
Bigjim Offline

Originally Posted By: steeleywhopper
bring some sandies and fish for perch off the pier.

Sounds good, but what should I run for depth and setup? Or I can just experiment I am not saltwater fisherman for sure but trying to give it a try.

#611990 - 07/21/10 12:26 AM Re: Kayak Point Fishing [Re: Bigjim]
Sebastes Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Monroe,WA.
Kayak Point is pretty much a late summer, early fall fishery for silvers, and Pinks on the odd years.

Not much around this time of year, but you could have a lot of fun with your three year old fishing for striped (Rainbow) perch from the dock or beach.

Mussels, clam necks ,bits of sand shrimp or sand worms on a tandem hook rig with a sinker on the bottom with spinning gear works well.

Small flounders and sole and bullhead sculpins add to the action.

I'd suggest this with light tackle, fish from the beach where your son can play and have him wear a life jacket in case he falls in when you aren't looking.

#611992 - 07/21/10 12:32 AM Re: Kayak Point Fishing [Re: Sebastes]
Bigjim Offline

Thanks Sebastes, that was very helpful. I sort of was running the same idea last week, but everything landed was bullhead in the 4 to 6 inch range. Will give it another try, he loves the beach. I am really looking forward to hitting a fish bigger than my hand for my son. Thanks, again.

#612012 - 07/21/10 01:26 AM Re: Kayak Point Fishing [Re: Bigjim]
cheapskate Offline
Spawner

just don't use sand worms for bait, in case Mr. Warden comes by

#612122 - 07/21/10 03:08 PM Re: Kayak Point Fishing [Re: cheapskate]
Sebastes Offline
Repeat Spawner

Cheapskate,

Thanks for the note, I did not know they were no longer legal as bait. Where is it in the regs?

Things have changed so much in the 46 years I've lived in Washington, the regs have become so complicated it has taken some of the joy out of fishing.

#612171 - 07/21/10 07:27 PM Re: Kayak Point Fishing [Re: Sebastes]
cheapskate Offline
Spawner

Originally Posted By: Sebastes
Cheapskate,

Thanks for the note, I did not know they were no longer legal as bait. Where is it in the regs?

Things have changed so much in the 46 years I've lived in Washington, the regs have become so complicated it has taken some of the joy out of fishing.

yeah, its a bummer not being legal to harvest those worms for bait anymore. Plus, we need to wait 2 years until the next rule change cycle, if we want to try to remove/modify the prohibition

Here's the snippets from the 2010 regs:

"New for 2010: ... No Harvest of unclassifi ed Marine Invertebrates - We are
committed to conserving all marine life including species such as
sea stars, shore crab, and Pacifi c graceful crab. To protect these
resources, harvest is no longer permitted. You can still continue to
collect and remove relic shells, but you cannot remove oyster shells
from the beach."

See also page 132 of the regs that identifies some of the unclassified marine invertebrates that are illegal for harvest, including marine worms

#612192 - 07/21/10 08:52 PM Re: Kayak Point Fishing [Re: cheapskate]
Sebastes Offline
Repeat Spawner

Thanks, that's pretty clear.

I read pages of the proposed regs and did see that, I guess it didn't register.

The one I missed in the proposals was the one that closed all of my favorite lowland cutthroat streams.

When I read the 2010-2011 regs, that really ruined my day, week, month!

#612608 - 07/23/10 11:44 PM Re: Kayak Point Fishing [Re: Sebastes]
Saundu Offline
Spawner

Move up the stilly on Norman Rd..find a pull out in Sept or Oct to find jumbo silvers..if he hooks he will be hookd for real. Fire tiger #4 and Gold Vibrax #4 in medium to low vis...wee dick nites half and half in clear water w . a long leader and 10 inches of drop from a 3 way..stay w.it and it will produce ..gl

#612631 - 07/24/10 12:02 PM Re: Kayak Point Fishing [Re: Saundu]
ned Offline
Spawner

Loc: MA 5, 9, 10
Hi Jim,
Having kids myself: Go with bigger hooks, like a 1/O or 2/0, and make sure they're barbless. Easy to unhook the fish with a bigger hook, and you'll catch fewer 4" fish. Also, for excitement with the kids, go with a bobber set up with the leader below the same length as the rod. I've put a small tag of aluminum foil (about as big as a match stick) under the bait as an attractor when I'm a ways off the bottom. Fold it in half and hook it through the folded end.

#612637 - 07/24/10 01:29 PM Re: Kayak Point Fishing [Re: ned]
Bigjim Offline

Thanks, I went out again and no luck with anything big. Did hook a bigger sculpin, different species than what we were normally catching but still not that big. It guthooked itself, didn't make it.

I was using a good amount of weight and size 1/0 and 2/0 hooks and shrimp. Did see a large flounder about 3' long, maybe something else it was semi wide and had some length but was a bit deep to make a positive id. Got scared up and swam away off the pier. Lots of crabbers though, not alot of crab kept.

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
3Gonads, herm
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
1 registered (steely slammer), 1085 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13520
eyeFISH 12766
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63773 Topics
645291 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |