WDFW NEWS RELEASE
Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife
600 Capitol Way North, Olympia, WA 98501-1091
http://wdfw.wa.gov/
July 15, 2010
Steve Burton, (425) 775-1311
Public meetings scheduled to discuss
Puget Sound crab management
OLYMPIA - The Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife (WDFW) has scheduled four public meetings this month to discuss potential changes to Dungeness crab fisheries in Puget Sound.
The meetings, which will run from 6-8 p.m., are scheduled for:
• July 21 - Edmonds Senior Center (in the Ballroom), 220 Railroad Ave., in Edmonds.
• July 22 - Mason County PUD No. 3 (in the auditorium), 307 West Cota St., in Shelton.
• July 26 - Skagit County PUD (in the Aqua Room), 1415 Freeway Dr., in Mount Vernon.
• July 27 - Point Hudson Marina (in the Marina Room), 375 Hudson St., in Port Townsend.
The public meetings are part of the Washington Fish and Wildlife Commission’s review of its existing management policy for Puget Sound Dungeness crab.
During the meetings, WDFW staff will explain current management objectives of recreational and commercial crab fisheries in Puget Sound along with three potential alternatives for recreational fishing seasons beginning in 2011.
The three potential alternatives are available on the department’s website at http://wdfw.wa.gov/commission/meetings/2010/06/ps_dungeness_alternatives.pdf .
In June, the commission selected the three alternatives for further review after receiving input from recreational crabbers and WDFW’s commercial and recreational crab fishery advisory groups.
"These four upcoming meetings are a great opportunity for people to provide input on the potential changes to the Puget Sound crabbing seasons currently being considered by the commission," said Rich Childers, shellfish policy lead for the department.
In addition to the public meetings, the commission - a nine-member citizen panel that sets policy for WDFW - is scheduled to hold a public hearing on the three alternatives during its August 6-7 meeting in Olympia.

If you must burn our flag, Please! wrap yourself in it.
Puget Sound Anglers, So. King Co.
CCA SeaTac Chapter

I love my country but fear my government

#611132 - 07/15/10 11:12 PM Re: Puget Sound crab management [Re: Phoenix77]
Lucky Louie Offline
Carcass

Option A for 2011, and hopefully back to the good old days of traditional crabbing in the spring in future years.

This was off the WDFW website:

Perhaps the most popular site for this type of crabbing is Port Gardner off the Everett jetty where >200 crabbers have been counted in boats during a single low tide late in May.

http://wdfw.wa.gov/fish/shelfish/crabreg/crabbio.htm#methods

No you can’t have my rights---I’m still using them

#611259 - 07/16/10 01:38 PM Re: Puget Sound crab management [Re: ]
JohnQ Offline
Spawner

Loc: COF in the Upper Left Hand Cor...
Yo AuntyM, is Junior asshat going to be present at any of these meetings???? What happened to all of the initial verbage/wording regarding "Who's First In Line For The Poundage"??? It seems to have quietly disappeared. How come No Further Verbage/Wording using the $3 CRC for buying out those worthless and not used commercial crabbing licenses???? I am starting to SMELL A COMMERCIAL RAT AGAIN. Or just maybe it is STILL all about ALLOCATION. And again, I'll offer up the unedited MGT America Performance Audit I have in my hot little hands that seems to have "Some Inconsistencies" with the final Senior asshat Sonntag POS Performance Audit.

Edited by JohnQ (07/16/10 01:39 PM)

AuntyM -- What Crab Audit???? Not That POS Senior AssHat Published!!!!

Hey Mr Childers, have you corrected that Scofflaw Spreadsheet Yet?????

#611308 - 07/16/10 07:30 PM Re: Puget Sound crab management [Re: ]
Lucky Louie Offline
Carcass

Edited by Lucky Louie (07/16/10 07:31 PM)

#611310 - 07/16/10 07:32 PM Re: Puget Sound crab management [Re: ]
slabhunter Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Sheltona Beach
What are the times of these public meetings? Is there a press release to follow?

Is there an online option for shift workers?

#611317 - 07/16/10 08:03 PM Re: Puget Sound crab management [Re: slabhunter]
Larry B Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: University Place and Whidbey I...
The "best" of the three current options provides for growth in recreational crabbing without having to come back and fight over percentage of the State's share. That is the good news.

The bad news is that the "best" option falls short of providing sport crabbers with enough of the resource - especially as it represents days per week to crab. The WDFW's modeling puts Option A at 45% of the State's share of P.S. crab. That means non-tribal commercial harvesters will still take 55% in the short run. How did this occur?

First, the original six options did not provide enough permutations of daily catch limits and days per week during the summer season. Next, LE apparently pushed for a "one size fits all" mentality for seasons/daily catch limits in all marine areas. Due to the unequal distribution of crab within P.S. this approach effectively limits seasons and daily catch limits to those which would not cause the State's harvest to exceed its 50% (the other 50 % going to the tribes) in any one marine area. While not exceeding the State's share is critical there are other potential combinations that would achieve that goal. As is, this is essentially managing via the weakest link.

Now that there is a computerized harvest model it should be relatively easy for WDFW to run other permutations. I suggest those marine areas of concern (MA 10-13) have a four crab a day limit while others have a six crab daily limit and then see how many days per week those catch limits will support. Then compare that to results of another run using 5 crab a day for those higher abundance areas (North Sound).

My guess is that we could have a 7 day a week season and be somewhere between 50% and 57% of the total State share. I don't think that is an unreasonable place to start discussions given that the non-tribal commercials have had 67% since, what, 1985?

It's the person who has done nothing who is sure nothing can be done. (Ewing)

#611322 - 07/16/10 08:35 PM Re: Puget Sound crab management [Re: Larry B]
JohnQ Offline
Spawner

Way to go LarryB!!!!!! Keep pushing Please!!!!

#611326 - 07/16/10 08:59 PM Re: Puget Sound crab management [Re: JohnQ]
slabhunter Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Sheltona Beach
Sport fishers want to much?

#611339 - 07/16/10 11:15 PM Re: Puget Sound crab management [Re: ]
Larry B Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: University Place and Whidbey I...
Uh Oh, am I in trouble?

It's the person who has done nothing who is sure nothing can be done. (Ewing)

#611380 - 07/17/10 12:22 PM Re: Puget Sound crab management [Re: Larry B]
JohnQ Offline
Spawner

Originally Posted By: Larry B
Uh Oh, am I in trouble?

moose That would be me kneel

#611858 - 07/20/10 03:37 PM Re: Puget Sound crab management [Re: ]
N W Panhandler Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Bremerton, Wa.
It seems like it is easy to forget all the people on the Kitsap Penn when it comes to these meetings. Our choice is 40 miles or more to Shelton or cross the sound to Lynwood. I'm sure a lot of our crabbers over here would like to particapate in these meetings.

#611899 - 07/20/10 06:37 PM Re: Puget Sound crab management [Re: ]
JohnQ Offline
Spawner

Originally Posted By: AuntyM
Guys,

I think we might have a problem here. In reviewing the commission's proposed crab policy, the wording in the sections for "region 1, 2 and 3" uses instead of the alternatives of A, B and C, (link above) they say alternatives 1, 2 and 3.

Call me paranoid, but when they cite alternatives that are not readily provided, and the wording is "Provide the commercial fishery harvest
opportunities beginning in the early fall time-frame and manage it in a manner that maximizes the ex-vessel value,"

It appears to leave the door open for a decrease in the recreational daily limit to protect commercial harvests.

I hope crabbers will be able to get out to these meetings. The short notice of this and other WDFW meetings in the last few weeks does NOT inspire confidence.

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhem, should I start practising the "I Told Yah So's" & "It's STILL all about ALLOCATION POUNDAGE"???????

#611907 - 07/20/10 07:12 PM Re: Puget Sound crab management [Re: N W Panhandler]
Lucky Louie Offline
Carcass

It appears that Region 1,2,3, is going to be managed as a commercial bias and 4,5,6 is managed for rec use. If true, it is unacceptable.

The San Juans already don't have crab seasons available for sports for July 4th holiday and I wouldn't want to see that happen to Region 2 which would be area 8-1 and 8-2.

I just got word that their is 440,000 sport crab $3.00 endorsements for 2010, quite a jump from last year.

Guess where some of that money is going?

#612034 - 07/21/10 07:50 AM Re: Puget Sound crab management [Re: slabhunter]
GBL Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Yakutat
And all the meetings in the world will not help the sport crabbing when the Indians (Tulalip's and I think others) have chosen to not honor the commercial free areas. They are fishing anywhere they want after agreeing to not hitting some spots and allow the sport people to fish without commercial pots there.

#612271 - 07/22/10 09:58 AM Re: Puget Sound crab management [Re: ]
Lucky Louie Offline
Carcass

John, I don't know which staff members will be in attendance. I kind of think of them all as "staff" and don't bother to single one or another out.

I think you may be missing some info regarding the $3 PS endorsement fee/fund. Right now, what isn't spent on counting and managing the recreational fishery will, BY LAW, be going to derelict pot removal for the next 2 years.

That's going to have to be sorted out legislatively, and right now, it's not part of the public discussion regarding the crab policy, nor should it be.

If the commercials want a buyback, it's already part of the current policy and if they request it, they need to find the funding, since there isn't any. Getting us to pay for it won't be as easy as one would think.

WDFW staff is inquiring about commercial crab license buy back. Over the phone he was talking about the possibility to use some endorsement and penalty fees for this.

At the meeting last night WDFW staff wanted our take on buy back. Majority was for it as long as a percentage of take was assigned to each license and then taken away from commercial allotment.

#612306 - 07/22/10 12:27 PM Re: Puget Sound crab management [Re: ]
Lucky Louie Offline
Carcass

My understanding is that they couldn't tie an allocation amount to a commercial license in option A and B since sport crabbers could conceivably take a share any where up to all of state allocation of sport and commercial leaving a variable.

Option C on the other hand would have a set harvest target for sports that would leave the commercials a set harvest target sort of.
I see your point though that if like Region 2 goes over allocation that would be deducted from commercial allocation in that region leaving a variable there also.

That would be interesting how they would answer your question.

#612317 - 07/22/10 12:58 PM Re: Puget Sound crab management [Re: Lucky Louie]
N W Panhandler Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Bremerton, Wa.
This Shelton meeting tonight promise's to be fun and very interesting and I would sure like to be there but have Kitsap CCA meeting tonight. Sure hope someone gives a blow by blow report on this one.

#612410 - 07/22/10 08:14 PM Re: Puget Sound crab management [Re: ]
JohnQ Offline
Spawner

Allocation Allocation Allocation Allocation Allocation Allocation Allocation Allocation Allocation Allocation Allocation Allocation Allocation Allocation Allocation Allocation Allocation Allocation Allocation Allocation Allocation Allocation Allocation Allocation Allocation

Neener neener neener

Edited by JohnQ (07/22/10 08:19 PM)

#612412 - 07/22/10 08:18 PM Re: Puget Sound crab management [Re: JohnQ]
JohnQ Offline
Spawner

Did/will anyone ask those WDFW asshat's about the AFTER THE FACT FINANCIAL AUDIT Hanky Panky and will the dumbass that passes for the State Auditor here in Washingtoons going to audit the financials for 2004 - 2005. That way WDFW will not be able to HIDE their shannigans. What WDFW did with all the money should send some MANAGERS to jail.

#612592 - 07/23/10 09:34 PM Re: Puget Sound crab management [Re: ]
Lucky Louie Offline
Carcass

Louie, A couple of thoughts.

For starters, the difference between the projections in option A and option B are not realistic. I am willing to bet option A is too high because the 5 day option will not likely encourage more recreational crabbing and harvest than option B. All it will manage to do is give people more choices of when to schedule a trip. This was pointed out by Larry B, and I agree.

I also don't think including October will lead to us achieving the projected numbers. We know crabbing drops off significantly after Labor Day and when the season reopens in Nov. most folks don't participate. Adding Oct. won't change it that much.

The last word the advisors got was that CRC sales were down. How that translates into harvest remains to be seen, but it should be lower.

With all that said, why would staff want to bring up buybacks at this time, before we know if there is a need? If the commission wants to know, then why wasn't a buyback included in the policy proposal, since it's in the "old" policy?

Without giving all the facts and buyback options to attendees, it looks like "fishing" to me. Staff would then attempt to sell the commission a bill of goods, as they did with a proposal they themselves presented to the commission for a 4 crab daily limit which the commission wisely rejected.

Lastly, Sporties pay for a shellfish license, fund the CRC data collection AND fund derelict pot removal now.

We should all be opposed to paying for anything else until we get treated fairly by WDFW.

AM,
Thanks for your thoughts on these matters.

I agree that as far as Option A and Option B goes, that both are equal to me on the way I crab fish. Depending on what I catch the first day I go out determines, if I need to go out a second time in the same week, and also determines how many weeks I'm going to skip dropping the crab gear. I don't get a winter crab card and October probably wouldn't entice me unless there is some real summer like days that could and do occur some years.

My impression was that they were definitely looking for something to use at a later date when asking about buy back possibility.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
free time, greenlayoid, Kokanee Kids, Lisa Tyree, SpinyRay
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 986 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14489
Salmo g. 13526
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63783 Topics
645426 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |