THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Page 16 of 29 < 1 2 ... 14 15 16 17 18 ... 28 29 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#617910 - 08/24/10 10:43 PM Re: Alternative commercial fishing gears to be tested [Re: boater]
boater Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: common sense ave.
Originally Posted By: boater

“Our shared goal is to identify and develop commercial fishing gear capable of catching large numbers of hatchery salmon, while also allowing for the safe release of wild fish,” said Pat Frazier, regional WDFW fish manager. “These tests are a critical step toward achieving that goal.”

i think this clearly goes against the mandate of the commission especially the part that says,

The department shall promote orderly fisheries and shall enhance and improve recreational and commercial fishing in this state.

http://apps.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=77.04.012

they are clearly showing favortism to the commercial fisherman and it pisses me off.

#617918 - 08/24/10 11:48 PM Re: Alternative commercial fishing gears to be tested [Re: boater]
stlhdr1 Offline
BUCK NASTY!!

Loc: Vancouver, WA

“Our shared goal is to identify and develop commercial fishing gear capable of catching large numbers of hatchery salmon, while also allowing for the safe release of wild fish,” said Pat Frazier, regional WDFW fish manager. “These tests are a critical step toward achieving that goal.”

i think this clearly goes against the mandate of the commission especially the part that says,

The department shall promote orderly fisheries and shall enhance and improve recreational and commercial fishing in this state.

http://apps.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=77.04.012

they are clearly showing favortism to the commercial fisherman and it pisses me off.

Commercials aren't a minority although we'd like to think they are... They're considered with sportsman on the same playing field.......

Keth

#617957 - 08/25/10 12:03 PM Re: Alternative commercial fishing gears to be tested [Re: Illahee]
Hair Offline
Parr

Loc: Extremley Rightwing
Originally Posted By: freespool

There is no such animal, hatchery fish are unfit for breeding with wild stocks, no matter if their F1 broodstock of F1000 mutes.
Also there no such thing as a zero mortality harvest method.

Jeeze, I thought you were smarter than that freespool. You ever hear of the Cowlitz? NMFS uses (recommends or approves) hatchery solutions for recovery every day. Didn't you get the brochure in the mail? Maybe it got overlooked among your copies of "Fish Hugger", and "Hitlers Hatcheries".

What behavior or genetic factors are you talking about? They're junk fish no matter what generation wild spawner? Really? Sure glad you don't let your bias affect your judgment bro..

PS Near zero is not zero. Not to mention I used it to represent the loss hatchery fish can and do have on wild populations.

#617960 - 08/25/10 12:18 PM Re: Alternative commercial fishing gears to be tested [Re: UpRiver Springer]
Illahee Offline
River Nutrients

Originally Posted By: UpRiver Springer
i dont think you understand whats going on.

I sure don't understand what's going on with CCA --

A co-worker in Vanc got this email invite:

######CCA Washington, in conjunction with the Clark County Parade of Homes, presents CCA Day from 10 AM to 9 PM. CCA members, friends and families will save $2 each on tickets into the event. Be sure to stop by the CCA booth outside of the entrance, to get CCA flyers and sign up your friends as members. Tickets are only $10 with the CCA discount. Come tour these beautiful homes, check out landscape and remodel ideas and make sure you check out the outdoor living space to see what is possible. There will be activities for the entire family, live music, fly casting seminar and much more. For directions go to www.ClarkCountyParadeofHomes.com.
Sponsored by - Building Industry Association http://www.biaofclarkcounty.org/
#################################

Even upriver hicks know the Washington Building Industry Assocaitions long history of anti-salmon,
anti-environment, anti-conservation lobbying.

Hard to believe CCA would partner with them.... just so they get $2 per ticket.

Not really that surprising, take a close look at their lobbyists, they either still work for, or formerly worked for big energy, big oil, dam operators, PUD's, electric companies, or aluminum producers.
Not who I'd expect to be working for the best interests of the fish, quite the contrary.
The deeper you look the more revealing it becomes.

#617970 - 08/25/10 01:01 PM Re: Alternative commercial fishing gears to be tested [Re: ]
Illahee Offline
River Nutrients

So are you saying CCA's lobbyists never worked for big oil and energy, or are you saying they do, but now their working for the best interests if the fish?

#617977 - 08/25/10 01:28 PM Re: Alternative commercial fishing gears to be tested [Re: Illahee]
Fast and Furious Offline
River Nutrients

Originally Posted By: freespool
Originally Posted By: UpRiver Springer
i dont think you understand whats going on.

I sure don't understand what's going on with CCA --

A co-worker in Vanc got this email invite:

######CCA Washington, in conjunction with the Clark County Parade of Homes, presents CCA Day from 10 AM to 9 PM. CCA members, friends and families will save $2 each on tickets into the event. Be sure to stop by the CCA booth outside of the entrance, to get CCA flyers and sign up your friends as members. Tickets are only $10 with the CCA discount. Come tour these beautiful homes, check out landscape and remodel ideas and make sure you check out the outdoor living space to see what is possible. There will be activities for the entire family, live music, fly casting seminar and much more. For directions go to www.ClarkCountyParadeofHomes.com.
Sponsored by - Building Industry Association http://www.biaofclarkcounty.org/
#################################

Even upriver hicks know the Washington Building Industry Assocaitions long history of anti-salmon,
anti-environment, anti-conservation lobbying.

Hard to believe CCA would partner with them.... just so they get $2 per ticket.

Not really that surprising, take a close look at their lobbyists, they either still work for, or formerly worked for big energy, big oil, dam operators, PUD's, electric companies, or aluminum producers.
Not who I'd expect to be working for the best interests of the fish, quite the contrary.
The deeper you look the more revealing it becomes.

Well we cant support BIAW. When will you burn your house down to show your contempt?

Anyone here make, sell, deliver building supplies, do home loans or appraisals, inspections, sell real estate, supply building permits or survey land or work in a trade union as a carpenter, electirician, plumber, land scaper, heavy equipment operator, asphalt and concrete contractors, sand and gravel or even teach people to do these jobs, or tried to bring jobs to the state which require buildings...Well, thats bad for salmon, so anything you do for salmon is not to be trusted or appreciated.

Thankyou Barney McCarthy

#617981 - 08/25/10 01:45 PM Re: Alternative commercial fishing gears to be tested [Re: Fast and Furious]
goharley Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: U.S. Army
Really, sometimes you should just step away from the keyboard.

#617989 - 08/25/10 02:23 PM Re: Alternative commercial fishing gears to be tested [Re: ]
Dan S. Offline
It all boils down to this - I'm right, everyone else is wrong, and anyone who disputes this is clearly a dumbfuck.

Loc: SE Olympia, WA
That's a TheKing argument.

You can live in a f'n house and STILL want houses built responsibly in regards to their environmental impacts.

Living in a house doesn't mean you have to support BIAW's agenda.

Bon Scott - Shot Down in Flames

#617993 - 08/25/10 02:50 PM Re: Alternative commercial fishing gears to be tested [Re: Dan S.]
IrishRogue Offline
Poon it! Poon it! Poon it!

Loc: Yarrow Point
LB,

I'm a CCA member/supporter.

Dude, you are doing more harm than good. I think the #1 way you could help the CCA is to simply stop posting.

Brian

p.s. I still think the winner argument, both for preserving wild fish AND expanding sporty opportunities (the two things I care about) is the economic argument.

#617995 - 08/25/10 02:55 PM Re: Alternative commercial fishing gears to be tested [Re: Dan S.]
SBD Offline
clown flocker

Loc: Water
Only fishery with a high enough mark rate and low enough mortality to make it work is spring salmon and steelhead. Ocean coho is a joke, fall chinook mark rate is to low, same with summers..

There's a sucker born every minute

#617996 - 08/25/10 03:03 PM Re: Alternative commercial fishing gears to be tested [Re: Dan S.]
Fast and Furious Offline
River Nutrients

Originally Posted By: Dan S.

Living in a house doesn't mean you have to support BIAW's agenda.

Well, whatever that agenda is, they have done a pretty good job of buying votes in Washington, on both sides of the isle, like the commercial fisherman, the power company, BIG ALUMINUM, BIG OUTBOARD, BIG REEL, BIG BOATS.
None of us would stoop so low as to live on a river or a lake. Rossi made us do it!

rofl
shameless act of laughing at my own lame joke.

#618003 - 08/25/10 03:23 PM Re: Alternative commercial fishing gears to be tested [Re: SBD]
Fast and Furious Offline
River Nutrients

Alaska marks fish and they dont clip. They adjust the water temperature in the ponds for a period of time and it changes the appearance of the fish on the head. If I remember correctly its sort of like a growth ring or some other bone formation or color change that ID's hatchery fish. I didnt get a visual on the phone.

#618007 - 08/25/10 03:50 PM Re: Alternative commercial fishing gears to be tested [Re: ]
Illahee Offline
River Nutrients

You dance around the issue but in the end your more concerned with dealing with the number one problem facing CR listed and threatened species, and that is habitat derogation.
Your not willing to sacrifice, or change any aspect of your life style for the good of the fish.
So it isn't a shock that you'd support a group with no scientific anchor point, support lobbyists that work for the very industries directly responsible for the demise of the fish.
Ten years ago those very same industries were saying it's not the dams, it's harvest,
Sound familiar?

#618009 - 08/25/10 04:08 PM Re: Alternative commercial fishing gears to be tested [Re: Illahee]
Dogfish Offline
Poodle Smolt

Loc: McCleary, WA
I would hope that all of teh folks here would take a few minutes off of this discussion and send an email to the WDFW about the proposed Neah Bay rules changes.

Take a break folks, send an email.

They call me POODLE SMOLT!

The Discover Pass is brought to you by your friends at the CCA.

#618013 - 08/25/10 04:29 PM Re: Alternative commercial fishing gears to be tested [Re: Dogfish]
AP a.k.a. Kaiser D Offline
Hippie

Loc: B'ham
LB, take a break. I feel like I'm watching a train wreck and, although it is probably just my liberal guilt, I feel bad for you.

#618014 - 08/25/10 04:35 PM Re: Alternative commercial fishing gears to be tested [Re: AP a.k.a. Kaiser D]
boater Offline
Three Time Spawner

Originally Posted By: AP a.k.a. Kaiser D

LB, take a break. I feel like I'm watching a train wreck and, although it is probably just my liberal guilt, I feel bad for you.

i think he means good but i cant figure out what he means rofl

#618015 - 08/25/10 04:35 PM Re: Alternative commercial fishing gears to be tested [Re: AP a.k.a. Kaiser D]
Dogfish Offline
Poodle Smolt

Loc: McCleary, WA
You're a liberal?

They call me POODLE SMOLT!

The Discover Pass is brought to you by your friends at the CCA.

#618016 - 08/25/10 04:41 PM Re: Alternative commercial fishing gears to be tested [Re: ]
Illahee Offline
River Nutrients

All the salmon advocacy groups I support were litigants in the law suit to force BPA to spill water, and that is arguably the single most effective recovery policy implemented thus far on the CR.
You mentioned higher power costs and habitat improvements being implemented in the name of recovery.
Sadly after $12 billion in recovery dollars being spent over two decades, none of the 13 listed stocks has recovered, two have decreased in population.
Yet you favor the failed status quo policies that have shown no recovery what so ever.
I'm advocating what independent fisheries scientists have been saying for years, remove the four lower Snake River dams, lower the John Day pool by 50ft, and maintain annual spring spill.
But unlike you, I don't give a rat's a$$ how much it costs, the government screwed the CR fishery up, now they need to pay for it.

#618020 - 08/25/10 05:14 PM Re: Alternative commercial fishing gears to be tested [Re: ]
Illahee Offline
River Nutrients

Has being the internets biggest gas bag affected your reading skills?
I've said numerous times that it doesn't make any difference how commercials harvest in the SAFE Areas, set nets, fish traps, seines, pitch forks,dynamite or Q tips.
As long as they stay in those designated areas sport angling will be better off.
Please explain how sport anglers and ESA listed species will fare better with expanded mainstem commercial harvest.
And please show some scientific bases for this expanded commercial harvest theory, and how it will recover dwindling stocks.

#618027 - 08/25/10 05:54 PM Re: Alternative commercial fishing gears to be tested [Re: ]
boater Offline
Three Time Spawner

Originally Posted By: AuntyM

I believe it's YOU who favor the status quo of commercial fishing impacts that could be reduced.

can you please post any info you have on commercial impacts being reduced after they go to a new selective method ??, didnt think so.

Page 16 of 29 < 1 2 ... 14 15 16 17 18 ... 28 29 >

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
BigRedHead, Gene, Milton Fisher, Selther, SpinyRayLover
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
2 registered (No More Ice Fishin, steely slammer), 1141 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63779 Topics
645373 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |