Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#620634 - 09/09/10 04:20 PM Presentations for Silvers
FleaFlickr02 Offline
River Nutrients

As has been discussed at length around here, coho can be a tough nut to crack. Just when you think you have them dialed in, they teach you otherwise. That said, I think coho are a lot like most fish in that the presentation likely plays a larger part in getting them to bite than the lure.

I have personally had a few different presentations work, but none seems to be more productive over time than the others. I've had them hit a stripped fly, a swung fly, and even a dead drift presentation at times. On one occasion, I took several fish from the same drift with a greased-line presentation, steelhead style. Lately, however, I have been having trouble getting them to succumb to any of my old tricks, and as tends to happen after extended periods of skunking, I am beginning to question my methods.

Do any of you have favorite presentations for silvers you would like to share? Fly selection is not the intent of this topic, but if it seems vital to the method in question, then please feel free to suggest "magic" bugs.

#620681 - 09/09/10 11:17 PM Re: Presentations for Silvers [Re: ]
Dave Vedder Offline
Reverend Tarpones

Loc: West Duvall
I have had the privilege to fish over huge numbers of coho when chums and humpies were also present. The conventional wisdom is strip for coho and pinks, dead drift for chums. I think that’s generally correct, but have hooked lots of coho on a dead drift and chums when striping. I think it’s a good idea to begin with the "proper" presentation than start changing up if that doesn’t work.

Try a wog if you see lots of rollers and have no takes on conventional methods. On occasion they love them.

#620718 - 09/10/10 11:40 AM Re: Presentations for Silvers [Re: Dave Vedder]
Rocket Red Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Elma
I am interested in this.

I fish primarily for silvers in frog water, and brushy flats on the Chehalis. I have hooked a lot of fish on twitched jigs. I have had them aggressively chase swum jigs right to the side of the boat, and when I noticed that aggression switched over to a flyrod and a fly that looked the exact same as the jig, but have not had a single bump yet.

I have spent a lot of time on fly design, coming up with flies that utilize round powder coated brass heads, and marabou bodies. These look just like my jigs, but I just cant figure out how to make them fish the same.

I'm going to try a different approach this year, and use a lightly weighted pattern on the sink tip I use for ling cod and see if that with a faster strip give me different results.

#620725 - 09/10/10 12:24 PM Re: Presentations for Silvers [Re: ]
AP a.k.a. Kaiser D Offline
Hippie

Loc: B'ham
Only had one chance to fish the wog but, damn, it was memorable. We found a pod waiting to go up a trib. They were just milling around and seemingly pissed off. Nothing like seeing a gonzo nose come up and eat a bunch of pink deer hair!

#620728 - 09/10/10 12:43 PM Re: Presentations for Silvers [Re: AP a.k.a. Kaiser D]
Salmo g. Offline
River Nutrients

I don't fly fish for salmon much. I've been skunked often enough steelhead fishing to know better than to fly fish for salmon on purpose. With the aforementioned qualifier, I have caught salmon of every species (even masu) on flies. Other than pinks and chums, which of course don't count, I think the best way of targeting salmon with flies (in freshwater) is to do it in Alaska where the damn things strike, as opposed to WA, where they normally don't.

What I think I've learned about coho fishing is that for every day the fish is removed from saltwater, they are exponentially far less willing to strike. So fishing for fresh fish is most productive. And in AK they will hit wogs almost as willingly as they will hit a stripped streamer. I intend to experiment more with wogs in WA, but haven't gotten around to it yet.

I don't know if fly pattern matters much, as I've caught most of my fly caught salmon on steelhead flies while I was steelhead fishing. If I'm targeting coho, I use a marabou streamer. If there's a better pattern or style, I don't know what it is. Most of my coho success has been random, and I attribute that to fishing too far upstream of tidewater for fish that were several or more days from the salt. When I fish for coho now, I look for fish that I think are no more than 24 hours from saltwater, and hookups seem to be more regular than random. I'm thinking that is the key factor.

Sg

#620736 - 09/10/10 01:28 PM Re: Presentations for Silvers [Re: Salmo g.]
FleaFlickr02 Offline
River Nutrients

OK. So far, I'm convinced that a wog is worthy of the old college try. If it proves futile, to KK's point, at least it will have been fun trying.

RR: Check your PMs. I think I have a potential solution to your jig emulation dilemma, but I'm afraid to post something so blasphemous in the company of elitists such as may be watching this thread. wink (If anyone else wants to know my suggestion, send a PM, but be advised, it's not for the pure at heart.)

Sg: It's interesting (at least to me) that you have caught incidental salmon while fishing for steelhead. My experience has been exactly the opposite. Either way, I am sure we are both equally delighted when such accidents happen.

I generally agree with your observation that fresh salmon are better biters. Come to think of it, even when darker fish are around, most of the salmon I have caught on flies have been relatively bright (one good justification for wasting time trying to catch them on flies, IMO). I must cite one exception to that rule, however, for the sake of argument. I have had decent success on colored-up fish on the Satsop. Of course, those were Satsop silvers, which are (were?) renowned for being snappy. Actually, as I expressed to RR, I think the fact that the numbers of silvers have been down on the Satsop in recent years may explain why I'm not catching many silvers on flies these days.

AP: That picture is awesome and exemplifies a classic definition of a wild, hook-nosed coho, IMO.

Thanks for the thoughts, guys.

#620739 - 09/10/10 01:42 PM Re: Presentations for Silvers [Re: FleaFlickr02]
seastrike Offline
Hey Man....It's cool...

Loc: seattle
Very cool picture Kaiser Dog!

#620743 - 09/10/10 02:13 PM Re: Presentations for Silvers [Re: seastrike]
Rocket Red Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Elma
Damn. Awesome picture.

Along the lines of this thread. The most aggressive silvers I have ever found were staged in about a 1/2 mile area below a small creek on a medium river. I had some of the most violent grabs I have ever experienced from 10+ lb buck fire engines. I have never had cohos act that way before or since. We fished over these fish for about an hour (moved on because they were boots) and they were grabbing so hard that you started to brace yourself for impact when the spinner got in the zone.

I think I could have wogged these.

#621018 - 09/12/10 12:09 AM Re: Presentations for Silvers [Re: ]
Sky-Guy Offline
The Tide changed

Loc: Everett
I said way cool picture before I read that everyone else said way cool damn picture.

Hey AKP to the D.

Nice pic cool

Gonzo indeed.

#621332 - 09/13/10 05:41 PM Re: Presentations for Silvers [Re: ]
Salmo g. Offline
River Nutrients

FF02,

Negative regarding being delighted when a salmon grabs my fly while I'm steelhead fishing. I matriculated from the old school where you earn demerits for hooking non-target species. And if you hook a pink or chum and play it to hand, you get two demerits for not breaking it off once you determine it's not a steelhead. And that's no matter how long it took to tie that particular fly.

In those days, incidental salmon were a distraction to steelheading and reduced the number of minutes in the day spent steelhead fishing. Now that I'm older and possibly wiser I tolerate distractions pretty well in the spirit of adding diversity to my life.

Regarding the Wog, I think it's worth a try because it fits what I've learned about change ups being important to productive coho fishing. Just have it in the gear rotation.

Sg

#621355 - 09/13/10 07:30 PM Re: Presentations for Silvers [Re: Salmo g.]
FleaFlickr02 Offline
River Nutrients

I'm thinking I need to find a body material for a wog that will keep it afloat with a dual dropper of a barbell-eyed marabou spider (jig) and a plastic bead suspended beneath it. Strip that rig back through some frog water and look out!

Well... I'll at least try the wog. Should be fun.

#621362 - 09/13/10 08:10 PM Re: Presentations for Silvers [Re: FleaFlickr02]
Salmo g. Offline
River Nutrients

Oh crap! Where'd you get that avatar? Funniest thing all day.

Sg

#621400 - 09/13/10 09:53 PM Re: Presentations for Silvers [Re: Salmo g.]
FleaFlickr02 Offline
River Nutrients

Google images. Wasn't as easy as I expected to find it. Searching for "Ascot" turned up a bunch of pictures of British royalty, some of whom were wearing ascots, but it wasn't what I was looking for. Doing a search for "Ascot tie," however, yielded better results. I was hoping to find something with some paisleys or some such on it, but as the song says, you can't always get....

#621796 - 09/15/10 11:24 PM Re: Presentations for Silvers [Re: FleaFlickr02]
ColeyG Offline
Ranger Danger

Loc: AK
Even with a multitude of fresh and biting silvers around (AK) i have a hard time getting them to respond to a fly. I usually try for an hour or two and then catch 15 to 20 on bait to make myself feel better, and then give a few more casts with the bug rod smile

Of the patterns I have tried that seem to do fairly well, a pink and white marabou and rabbit streamer, such as the Dolly Llama, has done as well as anything else. Twitching and stripping through frog water and slow seams over...obviously...holding fish. Big gaudy flash flies (pink and silver, pink and gold) can work very well also.

I would be curious to know if anyone has wogged one up in Washington.

PS - F the skagit and its silvers.

EZ Thread Yarn Balls

"I don't care how you catch them, as long as you treat them well and with respect." Lani Waller in "A Steelheader's Way."

#621902 - 09/16/10 01:11 PM Re: Presentations for Silvers [Re: ColeyG]
Salmo g. Offline
River Nutrients

Coley,

I've only fished 3 places in AK for silvers. I'm glad I had confidence in flies because I don't take any other gear up there. Had zero problem getting silvers to hit, which is what caused me to try the Wog. My experience caused me to believe that 175% of AK silvers hit. (A sort of joke, floated into a pool and spotted 4 silvers, got out and fished, caught 7.) In all three places, I was in or just a short distance upstream of tidewater, and the fish were likely less than 48 hours, maybe less than 24 hours, out of the ocean.

I haven't used the wog in WA but still intend to when I can get out under the right conditions.

Sg

#622048 - 09/16/10 09:19 PM Re: Presentations for Silvers [Re: Salmo g.]
wntrrn Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Edmonds
Washington coho aren't worth fishing for in my opinion. I've wasted way too much of my life trying to get them to take a fly with VERY little success.

As with Salmo, I've taken them incidental to steelheading a few times so don't even take credit for them. Most have been caught while fishing steelhead on the Sky during December-Feb. Chromers too. Suprised the hell out of me everytime that there were coho arriving that late.

#622108 - 09/17/10 12:03 AM Re: Presentations for Silvers [Re: ]
Smalma Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Marysville
Washington coho; especially Puget Sound coho, are indeed a tough nut to crack but to fair they are tough on all gear types. As has been touch on the major reason our coho are so tough if the high fishing pressure they have recieved which seems to have left us with mostly non-aggressive fish with the few aggressive fish quickly removed from the population by anglers very year.

Coho seem much easier in the salt again as mentioned enough are caught incidentially in our steelhead and other river fishing to indicate that they should be a possible fish to target in our rivers. Over the rivers I have caught lots of them while fishing for sea-runs cutthroat. When I began to target coho I used my cutthroat success as a foundation upon which to built a strategy to chase them.

That strategy includes smallish flies, strip retrieves, etc with constant changing of fly color and variation with the speed of the strip during retrieves. As with the cutthroat the coho seem to be easier on the fly in specific locations. I like slow froggy water, sloughs and side channels and as with the cutthroat having wood in the water seems to be an asset an in this case having rolling fish seems to be a good thing. If I were limited to one fly it would be a Knudson spider in a size #4. I would have a variety tied with different color bodies; including chartreuse, black, orange, yellow and pearl. I would also include in my fly box some flash flies, muddlers, and bait fish patterns. While most would be in that 1 inch length I would include some smaller and larger flies in the mix. Nearly all the flies I use are unweighted though if one wants to cover all situation the use of weighted "jig" type flies can be an asset.

For presentation I fish mostly sinking lines; including both sink tips and full sinking lines and once in a while I have success with dry lines and a fly fished just under the surface. If I had to limit myself to single line it would be full sinking line with a moderate sink rate. In almost all cases a stripped retrieve will outfish a swung fly though our coho can be pretty fussy about the retrieve rate and length of strip. Consistent success requires constant experimentation. One thing I have learned is that after one takes a fish or two out of a pod changing flies (at least color) and/or retrieve rate can add a fish or two to the day's catch.

As noted once the fish get close to spawning (getting colored) they tend to get much more aggressive and better biters. However those fish are generally not very good fighters and in my opinion not really worth targeting; they have more important things to do. Fresh run/bright fish be another matter. Traveling fish have typically been a tough nut for me to crack with my best success being with tide water fish. For those fish I like to target locations where those traveling fish are likely to pause. I have best luck on fish that have have stopped migrating and are schooled up though those fish that have been holding for any length of time are not as like to respond to the fly as the ones that have been there for a day or two.

A major factor in freshwater coho fishing for these non-aggressive fish is that they seem to lose interest in the fly before taking it. For that reason fishing in situations with reduced visibility can be the key. The most obvious example is our rivers after a significant rise while still fairly turbid - like that 12 to 18 inch visibility situation. Glacial water may be the best. When the river is clear I like fishing around snags. logs, and root wads where I can surprise the fish with the retrieved fly so that I get a reaction bite - in short try to present the fly so that fsih doesn't see the bug until it is within a foot or two of the fish. The idea is get the fish to take before losing interest.

Even with all the above the reality is the fly angler will have blank days but I have had enough multiple fish days (even some double digit ones) to make the coho game worthwhile.

BTW -
I too have caught coho well into the year include a number in March. Have taken fish as late as the last day of March in both the Snoqualmie and Skagit system. At one time Washington had coho with a wide variety of run timing. Some of that variety still exists - I have caught coho in our local rivers every month of the year except April and May.

Tight lines
Curt

#622197 - 09/17/10 02:53 PM Re: Presentations for Silvers [Re: Smalma]
FleaFlickr02 Offline
River Nutrients

Thanks for all the thoughts, Smalma. Some good stuff in there. I have found many of the same things.

The biggest difference between what you and I do seems to be that you prefer a full sink line. Given the type of water you are focusing on, I think that makes a lot of sense, and it probably keeps you in the zone a lot better than a floater. For the most part, I have developed an opinion that a floating line is always the best tool (mostly because it allows the angler to mend for optimal presentations). In this case, I can definitely see where carrying an extra spool with a sinking line might be prudent.

#622216 - 09/17/10 06:09 PM Re: Presentations for Silvers [Re: FleaFlickr02]
Smalma Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Marysville
FleaFlicker -
I have caught coho with a floating line with skated muddlers or a spider just under the surface. However I really dislike fishing weighted flies (don't fish them for sea-runs, steelhead, salmon or Dollies) so when I want to get deeper (the norm for coho) the sinking line beomes my best option.

That said I know that the "jiggy" action a weighted fly fished on a dry line appeals to coho. However if I'm competing with gear guys for the biters the spider on a sinking line allows me to provide a presentation the coho don't normally see.

Tight lines
Curt

#622226 - 09/17/10 06:59 PM Re: Presentations for Silvers [Re: Smalma]
SciGuy Offline
Superstar in diapers

Loc: B.I.
The trick I used in AK was to thread a simple marabou fly on the tippet (i.e. sliding) and then tie a small brass bead to the end of the tippet. With this rig the fly was nearly weightless between strips. It seems to work best with very short and fast strips. Very twitchy.

Edited by SciGuy (09/17/10 07:01 PM)

Put 'em back.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
CHUBS
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 939 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13521
eyeFISH 12766
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63773 Topics
645302 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |