THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Page 21 of 29 < 1 2 ... 19 20 21 22 23 ... 28 29 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#620678 - 09/09/10 10:23 PM Re: Alternative commercial fishing gears to be tested [Re: Salmo g.]
boater Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: common sense ave.
Originally Posted By: Salmo g.

If it came down to that kind of sport fishing on the LCR, I think I would just do my salmon fishing in AK instead, and drag an ice chest up and back.

i agree.

#620719 - 09/10/10 11:46 AM Re: Alternative commercial fishing gears to be tested [Re: boater]
Todd Offline
Dick Nipples

Loc: Seattle, Washington USA
As I mentioned elsewhere, after the LCR sporties get assreamed with a baseball bat, the upriver fishermen, especially those in Idaho, will get the followup reaming...they already get screwed virtually every year due to the amount of fish all the lower river fishers catch, if the seine experiment works as intended they may as well all take up bass fishing, since they sure as hell won't be doing any salmon fishing.

Fish on...

Todd

Team Flying Super Ditch Pickle

#620773 - 09/10/10 03:54 PM Re: Alternative commercial fishing gears to be tested [Re: Todd]
SBD Offline
clown flocker

Loc: Water
Actually I hear its working very well, the seines anyway. Traps aren't doing much but the river has changed alot in the last 75 years so the historic records of the top producing sites arent of much use anymore.

There's a sucker born every minute

#620839 - 09/10/10 08:33 PM Re: Alternative commercial fishing gears to be tested [Re: SBD]
boater Offline
Three Time Spawner

Originally Posted By: SBD

Actually I hear its working very well, the seines anyway.

thats to bad it will have a devastating effect on sportfishing when they get this trash up and running.

#620841 - 09/10/10 08:59 PM Re: Alternative commercial fishing gears to be tested [Re: boater]
Lucky Louie Offline
Carcass

Re: Alternative commercial fishing gears to be tested

Page 22 (this page)

Da Boogie Man Chronicles (what you can't see will hurt you) rofl

No you can’t have my rights---I’m still using them

#620852 - 09/10/10 10:09 PM Re: Alternative commercial fishing gears to be tested [Re: Lucky Louie]
boater Offline
Three Time Spawner

Originally Posted By: Lucky Louie

Page 22 (this page)

i`m actually stating info that any person with common sense will understand, why cant you understand it ?

#620855 - 09/10/10 10:26 PM Re: Alternative commercial fishing gears to be tested [Re: boater]
Lucky Louie Offline
Carcass

Originally Posted By: boater

Page 22 (this page)

i`m actually stating info that any person with common sense will understand, why cant you understand it ?

You and common sense have nothing in common.

DA BOGEYMAN THEORIES eek2

Coming to a blog next to you. rofl

#620857 - 09/10/10 10:39 PM Re: Alternative commercial fishing gears to be tested [Re: Lucky Louie]
boater Offline
Three Time Spawner

Page 22 (this page)

You and common sense have nothing in common.

DA BOGEYMAN THEORIES eek2

Coming to a blog next to you. rofl

i know alot of sportfisherman and none of them want to fish over less fish that we do now.

#620867 - 09/10/10 11:21 PM Re: Alternative commercial fishing gears to be tested [Re: boater]
Lucky Louie Offline
Carcass

i know alot of sportfisherman and none of them want to fish over less fish that we do now.

The hatchery DEIS will probably reduce fish to fish over. If they wanted to keep status quo Alt 1. they wouldn't have put out the DEIS.

#620889 - 09/11/10 12:45 AM Re: Alternative commercial fishing gears to be tested [Re: SBD]
Lucky Louie Offline
Carcass

Actually I hear its working very well, the seines anyway.

You are so right!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ir8QiLqPhjY

#620909 - 09/11/10 02:40 AM Re: Alternative commercial fishing gears to be tested [Re: Lucky Louie]
SBD Offline
clown flocker

1:45 into the video someone says this won't work everywhere on the Columbia, its easy being the last in line.

#620925 - 09/11/10 10:19 AM Re: Alternative commercial fishing gears to be tested [Re: SBD]
Lucky Louie Offline
Carcass

1:45 into the video someone says this won't work everywhere on the Columbia, its easy being the last in line.

That's why they are testing different types of commercial selective fishing gear. What will work where and when also establishing a mortality rate which the video said in this case was less than 1%---- compared to gill nets 40% mortality rate. Wild release from a swimming pool instead of release from being stuck in a net.

A game changer:

1)in survival of ESA listed wild and
2)also for banning non selective gill nets

#620931 - 09/11/10 12:26 PM Re: Alternative commercial fishing gears to be tested [Re: SBD]
Fast and Furious Offline
River Nutrients

Since he hasnt fished "everywhere" on the river, how would he know? More than likely, he repeated what a non tribal commercial told him. One thing is for sure, it won't work where there are no fish. It won't work when the boat is on the trailer.

Some approach every problem from the view, why "something" cannot be done. They will not or cannot look for ways to overcome the obstacles, they just assume the obstacles are permanent. Throughout history, they have been proven wrong.

Edited by Lead Bouncer (09/11/10 12:36 PM)

#620942 - 09/11/10 02:19 PM Re: Alternative commercial fishing gears to be tested [Re: Fast and Furious]
Salmo g. Offline
River Nutrients

Notice where they are fishing (large hydro reservoir) and the condition of the fish - hundreds of miles from tidewater. Heck, I could fish gillnets and come up with far less than 40% mortality on those fish. They have water hardened scales and a thick slime layer, a condition that is very hardy and tolerates far more abuse than the bright fresh ocean fish found in the LCR. One % mortality from seining in that locale makes complete sense, but no way will it be that low with the fish in the LCR tidewater. Funny thing is, WDFW already knows that unless everyone with practical field experience has recently retired. Been there, done that applies in regards to the gear testing on the LCR.

Sg

#620949 - 09/11/10 02:59 PM Re: Alternative commercial fishing gears to be tested [Re: Salmo g.]
Lucky Louie Offline
Carcass

Originally Posted By: Salmo g.
Notice where they are fishing (large hydro reservoir) and the condition of the fish - hundreds of miles from tidewater. Heck, I could fish gillnets and come up with far less than 40% mortality on those fish. They have water hardened scales and a thick slime layer, a condition that is very hardy and tolerates far more abuse than the bright fresh ocean fish found in the LCR. One % mortality from seining in that locale makes complete sense, but no way will it be that low with the fish in the LCR tidewater. Funny thing is, WDFW already knows that unless everyone with practical field experience has recently retired. Been there, done that applies in regards to the gear testing on the LCR.

Sg

Report will be out after this years testing is complete no need for
DA BOGEY MAN THEORY eek2

#620969 - 09/11/10 05:33 PM Re: Alternative commercial fishing gears to be tested [Re: Lucky Louie]
boater Offline
Three Time Spawner

A game changer:

1)in survival of ESA listed wild and
2)also for banning non selective gill nets

the release mortality rate doesnt matter, it could be 3 percent it could be 45 percent, what matters is the actual number of dead esa listed fish, does that even begin to make sense to you ?

#620972 - 09/11/10 06:46 PM Re: Alternative commercial fishing gears to be tested [Re: boater]
SBD Offline
clown flocker

Its becomes too complicated when the mortality rate excedes the numbers of toes.

#620995 - 09/11/10 09:41 PM Re: Alternative commercial fishing gears to be tested [Re: SBD]
Fast and Furious Offline
River Nutrients

Its becomes too complicated when the mortality rate excedes the numbers of toes.

Then you should have finished the sixth grade.

Boater, we would not be addressing the issue if gillnets had 3% mortality. The lower the returns, the lower the tolerable mortality. You can bet, they will be picking away at our 10% before this is over. Marine Reserves, are fought by anglers and commercial fishermen. Just because an organization wants to tear down the dams, does not mean they will support sportfishing or commercial fishing.

Wild fish Conservancy [washington trout] testified seals were not a problem in puget sound. They took photos of the seine testing in the LCR. They are pushing reforms on fish farms. They also supported MPA in Puget Sound.

Why do you suppose the Pew Trust is so active in marine issues? Perhaps because conservation has not been a high enough priority with Anglers and Commercial fisherman, who want more and more.

http://www.pewtrusts.org/our_work_detail.aspx?id=580

http://www.pewtrusts.org/our_work_category.aspx?id=134

Edited by Lead Bouncer (09/11/10 09:49 PM)

#621006 - 09/11/10 11:34 PM Re: Alternative commercial fishing gears to be tested [Re: Fast and Furious]
SBD Offline
clown flocker

Sorry LB just got back from a party, had a nice chat with an ODFW commissioner. Again its not the mortality rate but number of target fish harvested per mortality. Cheers!

#621013 - 09/11/10 11:59 PM Re: Alternative commercial fishing gears to be tested [Re: SBD]
Doctor Rick Offline
Free Prostate Exams

Loc: Sequim
Sorry LB just got back from a party, had a nice chat with an ODFW commissioner. Again its not the mortality rate but number of target fish harvested per mortality. Cheers!

Geez Louise, SBD, I believe you, but this is nuts!!!
We are forced into a non choice of maintaining status quo or maintaining status quo?

I vote for selective fisheries, then we take on the next battle.
What we are doing now is not working and we must attack downhill.

Page 21 of 29 < 1 2 ... 19 20 21 22 23 ... 28 29 >

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
CHUBS
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 939 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13521
eyeFISH 12766
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63773 Topics
645302 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |