Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#62618 - 05/11/01 04:36 AM Leech Lake/White Pass
Mr. Twister Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: wa
I would love to visit this lake, as I have fished it in the distant past.

I am curious about what the current pass conditions are and if the lake is fly fishable yet.

Rob

#62619 - 05/11/01 02:23 PM Re: Leech Lake/White Pass
Anonymous
Unregistered

Friend of mine, Roger, says that lake should be breaking up on the ice by now and quite cold. Long drive though to find out. What about contacting WDFW?

#62620 - 05/11/01 04:10 PM Re: Leech Lake/White Pass
Mr. Twister Offline
Returning Adult

I found the White Pass WSDOT camera, (http://traffic.wsdot.wa.gov/sno-info/white.htm) and see a little dirty snow along the road side, but everything else seems clear.

So who's gonna be the first to run out, possibly wet a line, and report back?

#62621 - 05/14/01 03:21 PM Re: Leech Lake/White Pass
Zen Leecher aka Bill W Offline
Spawner

Loc: Moses Lake
Ron,

Do you fish Leech much? I've had some fun trips up there and also one "learning experience" on last year's 4th of July trip.

#62622 - 05/14/01 07:09 PM Re: Leech Lake/White Pass
Mr. Twister Offline
Returning Adult

I haven't fished that lake since about 78 or 79. I remember quite a foggy, rainy day when the fish were hitting a damsel nymph pattern on a sinking line quite well for my brother, but my sink tip could not reach them.

I would love to go try them out soon.

#62623 - 05/15/01 11:29 AM Re: Leech Lake/White Pass
Micro Brew Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Normandy Park
Oaky ZF, I'll bite. What was your "learning experience"? Or is it a secret too....?

#62624 - 05/15/01 11:59 AM Re: Leech Lake/White Pass
Spawner

My "learning experience" was a case of being a little hard headed.

I fished it one Labor Day and dry flies were working great. Also other normal flies worked too. It seemed any dry would work for me if I threw it along the reeds.

Next year I fished it 4th of July and started out with the "usual suspects".. leeches, damsels, drys, etc... and only landed two fish in two days of fishing it.

I put that down to brookies being moody and the bite being off.

Met this one guy up ther I'd talked to the year before and he said.. nope.. they're biting like crazy.

Turned out they wanted a tiny little #22 parachute to match the tiny chronies hatching. I thought the tiny chronies were just "noise" and the fish would want bigger flies.

That's my learning experience.

#62625 - 05/15/01 01:15 PM Re: Leech Lake/White Pass
Micro Brew Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Normandy Park
Thanks. I've had very similar experiences. Sometimes I'm just too stubborn to search around for what really may work. My only luck at Leech was a couple of smaller brookies late in the afternoon.

#62626 - 05/15/01 01:35 PM Re: Leech Lake/White Pass
Spawner

There's this one guy out of Packwood (I think) that fishes Leech real regular. He's got a canoe with "outriggers" on it made from 5 gallon propane bottles. Very easy to recognize.

He gave me one of his little flies and I wondered how he could see it to wrap the parachute hackle.

Said that was the fly that worked for him thru the summer and he'd catch 30-40 fish an evening.

I'll be back up there again this year.

Last year we went up there for 4th of July and got snowed on one morning. The whole weekend was cold and windy.. but when it snowed we left for home.

I want to go back this year and try out the little flies on my 3 wt. I think that would be fun.

#62627 - 05/16/01 11:33 AM Re: Leech Lake/White Pass
Anonymous
Unregistered

My friend and flyfishing mentor says that as of couple of weeks ago lake still had some ice on it. Not a lot though. He says that lake is best fished at end of June and July. Suppose you could do ice fishing there with chronies if you are desperate though. laugh

#62628 - 05/16/01 11:49 AM Re: Leech Lake/White Pass
Spawner

My preference would be to fish it somewhere during the middle of August to the middle of September.

I will try it again during the summer this year... but I have a big deck rebuild and house siding project awaiting me for the "dry season".

#62629 - 05/16/01 04:35 PM Re: Leech Lake/White Pass
Chuckn'Duck Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: West of Eden
Call Gary Brault at the Toutle River Fly Shop in Toutle. He keeps close tabs on the lakes in the area. Also, try dragging a yellow bugger or a yellow with grizzly hackle. Worked great the two times I've been there. Wow, never seen skeeters like they have up there except in AK!!

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Schmidtm, schmidty, Spinhead
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
1 registered (Sidedrifter), 1124 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13526
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63781 Topics
645410 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |