THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#630149 - 10/24/10 09:54 PM Re: Sporties economic impact ? [Re: Fast and Furious]
Oregonian Offline
Three Time Spawner

FF couldn't possibly have any knowledge from any other source, or under any other screen name ? Hmmm, I thought he was making some sense.

#630173 - 10/24/10 11:12 PM Re: Sporties economic impact ? [Re: Oregonian]
KoneZone Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Forest Grove, Oregon
Fringe element?

WTFYTA

Fringe element my ass!

You asked a question and I answered it.

I know for a fact that it effects the local economy.
Ask anybody in Astoria Oregon if there is a change when they close the fishery early.

The whole town looks deserted compared to when they leave it the fishery open and on schedule.

This is true in many areas with seasonal fisheries.

Local Guides make a living with far less impact on the resource than commercial.

Regards,

Mike Hyneman
KoneZone.com
503-348-9442

HeatZone Hand Warmerz, TakeDownz UV Beadz, KoneZone Flasher's, BC Daisy Chains, Fatal Flash Spinners, SquidderDun, SKB Long Range Tackle Box, Bait Button's , Nate's Bait and much more.

#630178 - 10/24/10 11:30 PM Re: Sporties economic impact ? [Re: KoneZone]
Oregonian Offline
Three Time Spawner

I never doubted the money showing up in Astoria when the fishing is good. Do you understand that I get that ?

My point is that when the money doesn't show up in Astoria, it shows up someplace else. You must know someone who has went to a game or a race, or fishing in a lake when fishing was either closed or sucked so bad that it was a joke. The State sees just as much of that money even if it shows up in another "economy". The State is making the rules, and they seem to think the sporties economic power is a joke.

Rather than digest that pill, perhaps you could find a grammer error in my post........

#630179 - 10/24/10 11:33 PM Re: Sporties economic impact ? [Re: Oregonian]
FleaFlickr02 Offline
River Nutrients

Nope. No alter egos, outside sources of information, etc. For better or for worse, what I wrote was my personal opinion.

#630190 - 10/24/10 11:53 PM Re: Sporties economic impact ? [Re: Oregonian]
KoneZone Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Forest Grove, Oregon
That kind of thinking is what puts Oregon at the bottom of the heap.

Except of course in the case of homelessness and hungryness we are tops there.

OK!

I guess they will just spend the money elsewhere.
The jobs will be formed someplace regardless if I have one.

I think what we are really discussing is Freedom.

Given the right to fish and recreate in a meaningful manner will help local and regional economies. Restrictions to the sport fishery will only continue to hurt us.

Mike Hyneman
KoneZone.com
503-348-9442

HeatZone Hand Warmerz, TakeDownz UV Beadz, KoneZone Flasher's, BC Daisy Chains, Fatal Flash Spinners, SquidderDun, SKB Long Range Tackle Box, Bait Button's , Nate's Bait and much more.

#630194 - 10/25/10 12:12 AM Re: Sporties economic impact ? [Re: KoneZone]
Oregonian Offline
Three Time Spawner

Deep breath KZ, count to ten, reread my posts on this thread without trying to find some hidden agenda (paranoia).

Is it "that kind of thinking" that upsets you, or is it the fact that it's true ?

The larger question is : what are some policy changes that you can think of that might enhance the sportfishing experience ?

I only mentioned the economic power of the sporties being a joke because it seems that many sporties are unimpressed with the status quo. IF the sporties have some economic weight, then let's throw it around and get something done, and if we don't have the weight, then let's stop talking about it like a broken record.

#630204 - 10/25/10 01:31 AM Re: Sporties economic impact ? [Re: Oregonian]
Larry B Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: University Place and Whidbey I...
Oregonian, the problem is that it has taken this long and FF's insight to maybe determine what you have been trying to discuss - if this can even be described as a discussion.

I can't speak for Oregon but I do know there has been an ongoing battle over MPAs in Oregon and that various sportfishing groups and individuals have been very active in that issue.

As for Washington, we (sport interests) established the current Commission via referendum with the goal of removing critical resource management issues from the (direct) political process.

We also have responded to legislative efforts during at least the last two legislative sessions to eliminate the Commission. Those efforts were initiated and pushed by commercial fishing interests among other commercial activities unhappy with decisions made by the Commission.

Within the last month the Commission has agreed to change its policy and prioritize recreational Dungeness crabbing in Puget Sound over non-tribal commercial harvesters. At the same time the Commission agreed to changes in seasonal rules that for the 2011 season will increase recreational seasons. INCREASE SEASONS!! This was accomplished through the combined efforts of several groups and many individuals who testified before the Commission. That testimony by the way, included facts as to the relative value of crab in the recreational fishery versus the commercial fishery. Had this not occurred the recreational fishery in Puget Sound would have been held to a rigid quota and due to increased participation there would have been further reductions in seasons and daily catch limits to ensure that the recreational catch stayed within that quota.

The crab issue is only one of those dealt with successfully in the last year or two and is probably the most important as it resulted in a change in policy regarding the relationship between sport and commercial harvesters.

So, in closing, your spoutings imply that there has been nothing tried and nothing accomplished. Obviously I disagree. I do acknowledge that more needs to be done and I fully anticipate that further changes will occur as sports groups become better organized and (for your benefit) politically savvy.

It's the person who has done nothing who is sure nothing can be done. (Ewing)

#630209 - 10/25/10 02:07 AM Re: Sporties economic impact ? [Re: Larry B]
Oregonian Offline
Three Time Spawner

Wow. You must be under a lot of stress or something...

I asked a couple of questions...if I implied anything it was right there on the page, nothing that required your great perceptive skills.

I think it's great that you got the crabbing regs changed, congrats. I think there is still a few fish missing from the river though...

Originally Posted By: Larry B
I do acknowledge that more needs to be done and I fully anticipate that further changes will occur as sports groups become better organized and (for your benefit) politically savvy.

This is one of the questions I asked, what exactly would you change if you had your way, and how would the changes be implemented. What do you think can be done to improve the situation ? I didn't say or imply that no one has ever tried anything.

#630210 - 10/25/10 02:11 AM Re: Sporties economic impact ? [Re: KoneZone]
Oregonian Offline
Three Time Spawner

Originally Posted By: KoneZone
Fringe element?

WTFYTA

Fringe element my ass!

I used the term fringe element to describe the people who would simply stay home and bury their money in coffee cans when sport fishing isn't available. I should go back and check, but I think I spelled it out almost word for word the first time...

#630214 - 10/25/10 03:07 AM Re: Sporties economic impact ? [Re: Oregonian]
Larry B Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: University Place and Whidbey I...
Oregonian:

I will play this game a bit longer with you.

You said "IF the sporties have some economic weight, then let's throw it around and get something done, and if we don't have the weight, then let's stop talking about it like a broken record."

That clearly implies to me that you believe "sporties" haven't accomplished anything and need to get something done or simply shut up. No where do you acknowledge any of the efforts/accomplishments that have recently been on this BB.

And you have not answered the question I posed as to what YOU have done in support of recreational fisheries or the resource.

And, no, I don't think I want to share with you any of my ideas for future changes that are needed in Washington State. I hope you can figure out why not.

It's the person who has done nothing who is sure nothing can be done. (Ewing)

#630292 - 10/25/10 12:34 PM Re: Sporties economic impact ? [Re: ]
fishchick Offline
Parr

Loc: Western Washington
Originally Posted By: AuntyM
Commercials are not contributing very much to the local economies Oregonian. I can prove that. Listen to ANY testimony they've given to the WDFW Commission in the last 10 years, and you will hear how they can't even feed their children, let alone spend a few dollars on consumer goods!

A lot of businesses in the NW are dependant on sport fishing, including a whole lot of "high end" gear made right here. Let's not forget the boats made in WA, OR and ID too... Gee, we even have guides who earn their living at taking other fishermen out. What a concept!

Why don't you ask Bob Ball (board owner) which is worse for his business, a slow economy, or a lack of fish!
thumbs thumbs

#630307 - 10/25/10 01:18 PM Re: Sporties economic impact ? [Re: fishchick]
IrishRogue Offline
Poon it! Poon it! Poon it!

Loc: Yarrow Point
Oregonian --

To answer one of your questions, I'd be absolutely fine with reducing non-tribal commercial fishing in our state to ZERO. As already stated we have a treaty tribal fishery which can supply most/all of our local needs. Furthermore, we have interesting aqua-culture (including closed containment) technology locally that can and ought to be supported as a long term strategy for feeding people.

How would I transition this? I would be fine developing a model that takes the 10 year discounted profits from the existing commercial fleet and simply "acquiring" it for the sportfishermen. It'd be quite interesting to see that model, and figure out how to raise that money in fact.

And I do believe this action, buying out the non-tribal commercials, is a net positive for jobs and the economy in the region. And likely it is a SIGNIFICANT positive.

#630320 - 10/25/10 01:56 PM Re: Sporties economic impact ? [Re: IrishRogue]
Salmo g. Offline
River Nutrients

Orgonian,

You claimed that if fishermen don't spend their discretionary money on fishing opportunity in WA or OR, then they will spend it on something else, still in the local WA or OR economies. While that is likely true for some, the hard core fishermen who spend perhaps a disproportionately large amount of their money on fishing don't do that. They take that money and spend it on fishing in BC, AK, or other states.

If sport fishing opportunity deteriorates enough, then I will still spend money on fishing, but I will spend all of it in other states or countries, where it won't do anything for the local economy in WA.

Although it would be more economical for me to buy a commercially caught Columbia River spring chinook for $25 a pound at my local market, I've instead made the irrational decision to buy a boat suited to this fishery, a trolling motor that I otherwise didn't need, and a ton of salmon fishing tackle that I never needed since I'm primarily a fly fisherman. And then there are the hotels, campgrounds, restaurants, and gas stations in the LCR region that I wouldn't patronize with my business, but for salmon fishing.

As for why haven't sport fishing interests exerted greater influence in government and WDFW to give greater consideration to sport fishing, that's not so hard to figure out. Sport fishing, although declining, and with fewer participants, is still a significant economic activity. And the fishing is not so bad for so many as to motivate enough people to become political active through volunteering their time and donating their money. But that has been changing. More time and money is being channeled into sport fishing advocacy. However, the desired changes won't happen quickly. State law explicitly protects commercial fishing, and reallocating that non-treaty share to sport fishing will take more time, money, and work in order to be realized. Given enough of those resources, it will be; otherwise not.

Any other questions?

Sg

#630339 - 10/25/10 03:14 PM Re: Sporties economic impact ? [Re: Salmo g.]
JohnQ Offline
Spawner

Loc: COF in the Upper Left Hand Cor...
Originally Posted By: Salmo g.
Orgonian,

As for why haven't sport fishing interests exerted greater influence in government and WDFW to give greater consideration to sport fishing, that's not so hard to figure out. Sport fishing, although declining, and with fewer participants, is still a significant economic activity. And the fishing is not so bad for so many as to motivate enough people to become political active through volunteering their time and donating their money. But that has been changing. More time and money is being channeled into sport fishing advocacy. However, the desired changes won't happen quickly. State law explicitly protects commercial fishing, and reallocating that non-treaty share to sport fishing will take more time, money, and work in order to be realized. Given enough of those resources, it will be; otherwise not.
Sg

And to put a "Finer Point" on the above. The current demographic that actually has the "moxey" to understand, analyze, plan, and DO, is now retiring with a lot of time on our hands. I know, I did (retire) and put that time and experience to good Sports Crabbing Interests. And that retirement "Bulge" is growing larger by the day. We tend to be "Do'ers" with strong work ethics, and the experience to accomplish things, i.e., that is why we could afford to retire comfortably. That is what happened down in Olympia last year when some Old Style Politician (Jacobsen) unsuccessfully tried to turn the tide back to commercials by threatening OUR F & W Commission. There are more things than a large economic clout, and that is a Large Committment Clout by a lot of Individuals, scares the beejesus out of Old Style Politicians, i.e., now gone Jacobsen. Oh, did I point out that Jacobsen's Replacement signed the letter urging the F & W Commission to Change the Dungeness Crab Policies to our Sport Crabbing Interests???? It is not just ecomonics that are swinging, but folks that are committed to change. As a possible future example, please watch current State Senator Hargrove's Un-election next cycle (hint -- he is/was Very Ex-Senator (State) Jacobsen's Political Buddy).

AuntyM -- What Crab Audit???? Not That POS Senior AssHat Published!!!!

Hey Mr Childers, have you corrected that Scofflaw Spreadsheet Yet?????

#630429 - 10/25/10 07:12 PM Re: Sporties economic impact ? [Re: Oregonian]
boater Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: common sense ave.
Originally Posted By: Oregonian

The larger question is : what are some policy changes that you can think of that might enhance the sportfishing experience ?

i would change willipa bay back to a sept 16th opener for the commercial fisherman so sportfisherman could experience some decent fishing.

#630564 - 10/26/10 12:51 PM Re: Sporties economic impact ? [Re: boater]
Lucky Louie Offline
Carcass

Originally Posted By: boater

i would change willipa bay back to a sept 16th opener for the commercial fisherman so sportfisherman could experience some decent fishing.

If you are talking about the gillnet test fishery that has days in Aug. that started this year and is going to run for many more years,---I agree.

Just thinking and typing out loud with what I read on previous threads and without researching further.

It appears that:

1) it would be the perfect place for selective gear to get their tests and research done and release the fish unharmed.
Now the problem with that might be funding.

2)by using gillnets it appears that they are being paid to help with research by keeping the fish instead of or in addition to some funding?

If that is the case they are being paid with sporties fish that was intended for us in Aug, and that should be totally unacceptable and could/should be dealt with by using the same tool the commercials use.

Going to court if negotiations failed to stop that nonsense.

No you can’t have my rights---I’m still using them

#630578 - 10/26/10 01:31 PM Re: Sporties economic impact ? [Re: fishchick]
fishchick Offline
Parr

Oregonian:

A word of advice, coming from a "chick" : You can catch more flies with honey than with vinegar!

Just so there aren't suspicions of any "hidden agendas" related to this post, let me clarify. It is easier to persuade people if you use polite arguments than if you are confrontational.

If you want people to really take you seriously, STOP SLINGING SH!T.

For example:
"Deep breath KZ, count to ten, reread my posts on this thread without trying to find some hidden agenda (paranoia)."
and
"Wow. You must be under a lot of stress or something..."

What are you really trying to accomplish with attacking statements like that. If it is showing your true colors, then congrats! Success!

Sink or swim-
BEST OF LUCK TO YA!

#630665 - 10/26/10 08:12 PM Re: Sporties economic impact ? [Re: Lucky Louie]
boater Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: common sense ave.
Originally Posted By: Lucky Louie

1) it would be the perfect place for selective gear to get their tests and research done and release the fish unharmed.

if the fish are going to be released unharmed like you say why do they have to do any research ?

#630677 - 10/26/10 09:01 PM Re: Sporties economic impact ? [Re: fishchick]
Oregonian Offline
Three Time Spawner

Originally Posted By: fishchick

A word of advice, coming from a "chick" : You can catch more flies with honey than with vinegar!

Is that you Jenny ?
;-)

#630757 - 10/27/10 12:59 AM Re: Sporties economic impact ? [Re: Oregonian]
fishchick Offline
Parr

Originally Posted By: fishchick

Is that you Jenny ?
;-)

NOPE!

Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Cameron D., FlyingFish, NEfishLdo, shinnecock1
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 944 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14489
Salmo g. 13526
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63783 Topics
645421 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |