#630046 - 10/24/10 05:25 PM Re: Sporties economic impact ? [Re: Oregonian]
Fast and Furious Offline
River Nutrients

Phishing for info...

#630047 - 10/24/10 05:27 PM Re: Sporties economic impact ? [Re: Oregonian]
Happy Birthday Carcassman Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Olema,California,Planet Earth
In many situations, and I think this is one of them, the two sides (non-Indian commercial and sport) are cumulatively too large to share the resource. There are not enough fish to go around. Maybe, if we put in about 50 years of restrictions on harvest, development, pollution, water diverions, and so on then we could recover the runs to a size large enough to support the two groups. If not, one needs to go away.

#630049 - 10/24/10 05:39 PM Re: Sporties economic impact ? [Re: Carcassman]
Oregonian Offline
Three Time Spawner

Originally Posted By: Carcassman
There are not enough fish to go around.

Well, there's a start, we're on common ground now.

I think conditions could be better for us sporties and still have a seafood industry. I don't think sporties would ever begin to tap the tuna resource, or the deep water bottom fish, for a couple examples. I think a lot of sport fishermen would be willing to make some tradeoffs to get some improvements too.

#630051 - 10/24/10 05:43 PM Re: Sporties economic impact ? [Re: Oregonian]
Oregonian Offline
Three Time Spawner

Whomever "takes" from the resource, it should not be exploited beyond it's capacity to renew, or even rebuild if there is a viable potential.

Can we consider this common ground too ?

#630052 - 10/24/10 05:45 PM Re: Sporties economic impact ? [Re: Oregonian]
stlhdr1 Offline
BUCK NASTY!!

Loc: Vancouver, WA
Originally Posted By: Oregonian

I think conditions could be better for us sporties and still have a seafood industry. I don't think sporties would ever begin to tap the tuna resource, or the deep water bottom fish, for a couple examples. I think a lot of sport fishermen would be willing to make some tradeoffs to get some improvements too.

You're dreaming..... It won't happen....

Keith

#630053 - 10/24/10 05:49 PM Re: Sporties economic impact ? [Re: stlhdr1]
Oregonian Offline
Three Time Spawner

Originally Posted By: stlhdr1

You're dreaming..... It won't happen....
Keith

Is the internet not the perfect place for dreaming ?

Remember, I started out asking why this multi bazzillion dollar economic hammer never seems to swing...and I came to that question by reading about it on the internet.

#630059 - 10/24/10 06:14 PM Re: Sporties economic impact ? [Re: Oregonian]
Fast and Furious Offline
River Nutrients

Yah sure, what the hell. They dragged Puget Sound to death. Lets make some trade offs. Keep dreamin Dragger.

#630060 - 10/24/10 06:20 PM Re: Sporties economic impact ? [Re: Fast and Furious]
Oregonian Offline
Three Time Spawner

Originally Posted By: Lead Bouncer

Yah sure, what the hell. They dragged Puget Sound to death. Lets make some trade offs. Keep dreamin Dragger.

What are some of your ideas for improvements to the situation ? Do you propose shut down every commercial fishery and seafood market, and restaurant ? Do you only want to shut down commercial fishing on species that migrate into fresh water ? You must have an opinion on what would be better since you seem to be very unhappy with the current situation...I promise not to laugh as long as you put forth a little effort, that last remark was pretty weak.

#630061 - 10/24/10 06:23 PM Re: Sporties economic impact ? [Re: Fast and Furious]
Oregonian Offline
Three Time Spawner

They dragged Puget Sound to death.

And built a fricken metropolis right down to the edge of the water, built dams on the rivers, and in general reproduced like rabbits, etc, etc...

This topic pertains to where we are at right this second, and what might be a good path for tomorrow.

#630067 - 10/24/10 06:38 PM Re: Sporties economic impact ? [Re: ]
Oregonian Offline
Three Time Spawner

Ah yes, Aunty wants it to stop when she is on the spot...if you don't have any ideas you could just say so.

#630069 - 10/24/10 06:55 PM Re: Sporties economic impact ? [Re: Oregonian]
Illahee Offline
River Nutrients

Sports catch 1% of the West coast albacore harvest.
So what were you considering trading?
End all LCR mainstem commercial harvest, shift the 2% mortality allocation to the sport fleet, commercial harvest from the SAFE Areas, sports maximize the economic potential.
No more allocation wars, abbreviated bag limit or seasons.

#630072 - 10/24/10 07:13 PM Re: Sporties economic impact ? [Re: Illahee]
Oregonian Offline
Three Time Spawner

I don't have the answers, I was hoping to start an interesting conversation with some ideas hitting the table.

What would happen if there was no commercial market for King and Coho salmon ? Could there then be a practically endless sport season with very liberal limits ? Would the sporties then allow other renewable resources such as Pink and Chum salmon to become commercially managed ?

What about end all commercial fishing/crabbing in inside waters ?
Can the Native net fishermen be influenced to avoid endangered stocks/species in exchange for more fish in total ?

Who/What will fund the hatcheries ?

I know the tuna are largely managed by commercial fishing, same thing for black cod, and several other species... I think there are a lot of fish that can be harvested commercially and keep the seafood industry afloat. What about halibut ? With an endless salmon fishery could the sporties get used to getting their halibut at the restaurant/market ?

Bottom fish ?

Just putting some stuff on the table for discussion.

#630076 - 10/24/10 07:18 PM Re: Sporties economic impact ? [Re: Oregonian]
Fast and Furious Offline
River Nutrients

What are some of your ideas for improvements to the situation ? Do you propose shut down every commercial fishery and seafood market, and restaurant ? Do you only want to shut down commercial fishing on species that migrate into fresh water ? You must have an opinion on what would be better since you seem to be very unhappy with the current situation...I promise not to laugh as long as you put forth a little effort, that last remark was pretty weak.

Im already laughing. Join in. We are suppose to give you ideas to benefit you? Who elected you negotiator? Restaurants and grocers are not guaranteed a supply of seafood at the expense of the diminished resource. You miss the dead end sign?

#630077 - 10/24/10 07:22 PM Re: Sporties economic impact ? [Re: Fast and Furious]
Happy Birthday Carcassman Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Olema,California,Planet Earth
The restaurants and grocers can get them from the Tribes. Or, we can stop selling wild-caught fish as we have done with wild-caught ducks, geese, deer, etc.

#630088 - 10/24/10 07:41 PM Re: Sporties economic impact ? [Re: ]
Oregonian Offline
Three Time Spawner

With this massive economic hammer looming over the heads of policy makers, it would seem anything could be done...

I always hear complaining about mismanagement, I was just wondering if the complaining could somehow be converted into constructive criticism...

#630089 - 10/24/10 07:43 PM Re: Sporties economic impact ? [Re: ]
Oregonian Offline
Three Time Spawner

Originally Posted By: AuntyM
The minute you became argumentitive, it was apparent that this wasn't a serious discussion.

By your definition, a serious discussion is where you talk, and others nod ?

#630101 - 10/24/10 08:06 PM Re: Sporties economic impact ? [Re: Oregonian]
Larry B Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: University Place and Whidbey I...
Oregonian:

You initiated this thread with a rather absurd statement and have added absolutely NOTHING of value to the discussion. Rather, you have merely kept sticking a hot poker into valuable and informed input from others.

And when this was gently and politely pointed out by AuntyM you responded with another post that provided no information but, rather, simply attacked the poster.

I just wanted to point out my perception of your inability to add anything meaningful to this discussion.

So what have you personally done to represent your interests and/or the interests of the resource with your politicians or ODFW? Hint: This thread does not qualify!!!

It's the person who has done nothing who is sure nothing can be done. (Ewing)

#630128 - 10/24/10 09:10 PM Re: Sporties economic impact ? [Re: Larry B]
FleaFlickr02 Offline
River Nutrients

Oregonian's question is an important one, and I think the answer is that we sportfishers are too hung up on our personal agendas to find our common ground, pool our financial resources, and beat the commercials at their own game (lobbying, for those of you who missed the intent). The reason commercial interests have dominated regulations for so long is that they are organized and putting their money where their mouths are. Sporties are clearly pumping more money into the economy, but that money is not being spent in political circles, which is where the balance of power lies.

Is that the answer you were looking for, Oregonian?

#630134 - 10/24/10 09:29 PM Re: Sporties economic impact ? [Re: FleaFlickr02]
GBL Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Yakutat
I agree with FleaFlickr-
This whole thread (other than a few comment) has been a good one and full of thoughts and ideas. Oregonian has made some interesting statements, I never read into his statements anything other than trying to get people to open up. I don't care if he is a commercial or sports-fisherman or both, it really does not matter as long as ideas keep coming out and people get involved. Attacking each other is exactly what the "other" side wants! They stay focused and with one voice, as soon as we do the same, we will win.
There is no easy answer, but if we don't keep talking about it, nothing will happen that is good, that has been proven for the last 30 years!

#630137 - 10/24/10 09:31 PM Re: Sporties economic impact ? [Re: FleaFlickr02]
Fast and Furious Offline
River Nutrients

FF since you registered only one year ago, you have missed quite a lot of the effort. Olympia gave us no chance of saving the commission. Advocy is stronger than you think.

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Carcassman, Clipfin, Danny Clyde, Dannyboy, dk1948, Twitch
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 950 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63778 Topics
645361 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |