Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#63060 - 06/01/01 01:50 PM Mason Lake -- Help
umrules Offline
Spawner

Loc: wa., usa
Thw wife wants to camp at Mason Lake this summer, so I will have to take the Ol' fishing boat. Problem is, I have never fished Mason Lake. Can anybody help me out here as to what to expect? What kindds of fish is in the Lake? How do you fish 'em? Is there any perch/bluegill to turn the kids onto? Any information would be appreciated..

Thanks,
Tight Lines.

#63061 - 06/01/01 03:52 PM Re: Mason Lake -- Help
Micro Brew Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Normandy Park
umrules:

We have a family place on the lake that was purchased back in the '40's, so I guess I could tell you a little... I was just up there over the Memorial Day Weekend.
It's a rather big lake for Western Washington and there is a public access via the county park reached off of Highway 3, BUT NO CAMPING ON THE LAKE. There is also a Simpson park for their employees only. The closet camping would be over at Belfair or Twanoh State Park on Hood Canal. Also, there is no fuel or store on the lake - there was in the past. Be advised that the lake is heavily used by skiers, jet skis, etc. It is a very busy lake on nice weekends. Your best fishing is very early in the morning, but as it warms up be prepared for a bouncy ride.
As far as fish, what do you want? The lake has kokanee - not real big, bass, perch, catfish, crappie, some rainbow and cutthroat. Use standard kokanee rig- pop gear/ wedding ring / maggot. Bass - choose your weapon. Perch - anything - they also tend to be smaller, but some 12 - 14". There are also trash fish - what I call squaw fish and suckers - some of these get big.
If you have questions, let me know, I'll do what I can. There are other lakes outside of Belfair towards Dewatto with camping that you might want to consider.

#63062 - 06/03/01 07:04 PM Re: Mason Lake -- Help
umrules Offline
Spawner

Micro Brew,
Thanks for the info. We are going to be camping at the Simpson place. How deep will I need to go for the Kokes? I see the lake has a section that is about 90 feet deep, is that the target for 'em? Any particular areas to hit the 'bows or panfish? (North, South, or any land marks to look for??)

Thanks again fro the reply.

Tight lines!

#63063 - 06/04/01 10:29 AM Re: Mason Lake -- Help
Micro Brew Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Normandy Park
Simpson has a nice spot down at the outlet end of the lake. Make sure that you take the short walk through those massive Douglas firs, very impressive.

I have not used a depth finder, so I can't tell you the actual deptfh of the fish. I have had good luck with the pop gear and a 1 ounce sinker. I tend to fish for the kokes up the lake from Simpson in the deeper water out from Little Hoquiam. That is the large bay on the right as you head up the lake. Since you will be at Simpson, they do hit bass along the pads at that end of the lake. Be prepared for how busy the lake can be, especially down by Simpson, if the weather is nice.

There are also some rather large cutts in the lake. They don't tend to hit the koke rigs, perhaps a trolled rapala or other spoon.

Good luck and have a great time.

#63064 - 06/05/01 09:30 AM Re: Mason Lake -- Help
umrules Offline
Spawner

Thanks again for all the info Micro, I really appreciate it.

Tight Lines!!

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Iwant2fish
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 541 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14489
Salmo g. 13526
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63783 Topics
645418 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |