Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#631238 - 10/29/10 12:35 AM MUST SEE video.... "End of The Line"
eyeFISH Offline
Ornamental Rice Bowl

A sobering look at the world crisis of fish depletion due to overharvest.

http://endoftheline.com/

For those of you who have NetFlix (or other pre-paid video rental plan), it is available as a "watch it now" option on your computer.

I just finished watching the program and all I have to say is WOW!

"If you don't kill them, they will spawn." (Carcassman)

The Keen Eye MD
Long Live the Kings!

#631247 - 10/29/10 01:06 AM Re: MUST SEE video.... "End of The Line" [Re: eyeFISH]
SBD Offline
clown flocker

Loc: Water
Watch it later but I'm guessing were being preped for the upcoming Massive MPA's network Jane was pushing when I saw her speak in Newport.. Should be an easy sell to the nonfishing voting public..

There's a sucker born every minute

#631253 - 10/29/10 01:19 AM Re: MUST SEE video.... "End of The Line" [Re: SBD]
SkykomishSunrise Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Interesting! Thanks!

Bill McMillan

#631254 - 10/29/10 01:24 AM Re: MUST SEE video.... "End of The Line" [Re: SBD]
bait dunker Offline
Village Idiot

While I'm all for having sustainable fish populations, I absolutely refuse to support groups like this and their partner organizations. Believing the propaganga in this film is like believing "whale wars" is a factual documentry. Let's stop over harvest, but not through marine reserves. That's just barking up the wrong tree

#631273 - 10/29/10 08:27 AM Re: MUST SEE video.... "End of The Line" [Re: bait dunker]
Oregonian Offline
Three Time Spawner

First it was peak oil, now peak fish, maybe this will increase the value/price of fish...

#631278 - 10/29/10 09:29 AM Re: MUST SEE video.... "End of The Line" [Re: Oregonian]
fshwithnoeyes Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Lewis Co via Bham
Since you "absolutely refuse to support groups like this and their partner organizations" then you imply that you have information on these groups. Please share your SUBSTANCIATED info with us. I have not seen it yet, but I will. Is the conclusion marine reserves?

#631283 - 10/29/10 10:31 AM Re: MUST SEE video.... "End of The Line" [Re: fshwithnoeyes]
bait dunker Offline
Village Idiot

Here's a link to their partner organizations like Greenpeace and WWF http://endoftheline.com/campaign/organisations/

"If the biological diversity of the oceans is to be maintained or restored, large areas must be protected altogether from the commercial fishing industry and responsible fishing must prevail outside those areas."

Sure sounds like large marine reserves to me, but form your own opinion.

#631315 - 10/29/10 12:39 PM Re: MUST SEE video.... "End of The Line" [Re: bait dunker]
FleaFlickr02 Online   content
River Nutrients

Originally Posted By: bait dunker
Here's a link to their partner organizations like Greenpeace and WWF http://endoftheline.com/campaign/organisations/

"If the biological diversity of the oceans is to be maintained or restored, large areas must be protected altogether from the commercial fishing industry and responsible fishing must prevail outside those areas."

Sure sounds like large marine reserves to me, but form your own opinion.

BD:

You may well be right, but it seems as though the above statement speaks directly to commercial fishing and makes no mention of sportfishing (which would also be prohibited in marine reserves, as I understand it). I haven't seen the film, but the trailer seems to suggest that it is largely focused on commercial fishing (I didn't see one fish coming in on a rod and reel). Granted, none of this means that sportfishing wouldn't be affected by decisions to halt commercial fishing in large areas, but recreational fishing does not seem to be targeted by anything we have seen in the context of this thread.

At first glance (yes, I need to watch the film before solidifying my opinion), this looks like the sort of propoganda we sportfishers, who are constantly bemoaning how commercial fishing squelches our opportunities, should be happy to see.

#631321 - 10/29/10 01:10 PM Re: MUST SEE video.... "End of The Line" [Re: FleaFlickr02]
Spade Offline
Smolt

Loc: Bellevue, Wa
I like the fact that in the movie they do credit Alaska as one of the better managed commercial fisheries.

Their data might be "rushed" but I'd start screaming "holy sheet" as soon as I could if my studies showed the same patterns.

Their predictions are no fish by 2050 at current harvest rates. 1.8 billion pounds of Pollock a year is NOT sustainable but who am I to argue with Fish and Game.

The largest trawler net can fit 13 (thirteen!) 747s in it's mouth! Damn! Talk about bycatch.

#631322 - 10/29/10 01:10 PM Re: MUST SEE video.... "End of The Line" [Re: FleaFlickr02]
SBD Offline
clown flocker

Might look at California where this movement was started and I'm guessing where this film was produced to get a glimpse of our future. Somethings going to happen in the MPA department before Obama leaves office either by vote or Presidential Order. I'm sure of it, and have been ever since Jane and her Pew Foundation got the top job.

Edited by SBD (10/29/10 01:11 PM)

#631333 - 10/29/10 02:01 PM Re: MUST SEE video.... "End of The Line" [Re: SBD]
Illahee Offline
River Nutrients

Originally Posted By: SBD
Might look at California where this movement was started and I'm guessing where this film was produced to get a glimpse of our future. Somethings going to happen in the MPA department before Obama leaves office either by vote or Presidential Order. I'm sure of it, and have been ever since Jane and her Pew Foundation got the top job.

So your saying Obama will create a larger MPA than Bush did in the South Pacific?

#631338 - 10/29/10 02:12 PM Re: MUST SEE video.... "End of The Line" [Re: Illahee]
SBD Offline
clown flocker

No. Hundreds of small ones like California, the Bush one was out in the middle of nowhere. The ones they were pushing at the Newport Meeting were all Nearshore (Beach to 25 fathoms) S/C..

#631341 - 10/29/10 02:17 PM Re: MUST SEE video.... "End of The Line" [Re: SBD]
Illahee Offline
River Nutrients

So MPA's are only good if they are out of the way?

#631343 - 10/29/10 02:30 PM Re: MUST SEE video.... "End of The Line" [Re: Illahee]
SBD Offline
clown flocker

Didn't say that, I'm actually for the concept as I've seen them work in other area's of the globe. But the mentality seems to be since we can't regulate 3rd world countrys we will just compensate by shutting down well managed area's of our own. Notice most of the shots in the trailer are of oversea's fisherys. The commercial industry off the westcoast already has huge area's closed to trawling (RCA).

Edited by SBD (10/29/10 02:31 PM)

#631355 - 10/29/10 03:21 PM Re: MUST SEE video.... "End of The Line" [Re: Spade]
Illahee Offline
River Nutrients

So the prediction is a total collapse of our ocean fisheries by 2050?
Yet many are arguing for no MPA's, so we don't need them until all the fish are gone?
If you look at history some of the same arguments now being used against the idea of marine reserves, was also used by those opposed to taking millions of acers of federal land and designating it wilderness areas.
At the time those lands were set aside there wasn't any biological reason to do so.

#631362 - 10/29/10 03:43 PM Re: MUST SEE video.... "End of The Line" [Re: Illahee]
Spade Offline
Smolt

Loc: Bellevue, Wa
Originally Posted By: freespool
So the prediction is a total collapse of our ocean fisheries by 2050?

Yup

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/11/03/science/03fish.html

Dr. Worm said he analyzed the data for the first time on his laptop while he was overseeing a roomful of students taking an exam. What he saw, he said, was “just a smooth line going down.” And when he extrapolated the data into the future “to see where it ends at 100 percent collapse, you arrive at 2048.”

Jane Lubchenco, a fisheries expert at Oregon State University who had no connection with the work, called the report “compelling.”

“It’s a meta analysis and there are challenges in interpreting those,” she said in an interview, referring to the technique of collective analysis of disparate studies. “But when you get the same patterns over and over and over, that tells you something.”

But predicting a global fisheries collapse by 2048 “assumes we do nothing to fix this,” he said, “and shame on us if that were to be the case.”

Edited by Spade (10/29/10 03:46 PM)

#631399 - 10/29/10 06:23 PM Re: MUST SEE video.... "End of The Line" [Re: Spade]
Lucky Louie Offline
Carcass

Talking about MPA’s, during the public comment period last winter I brought up on here about the leatherneck turtle MPA for critical habitat, it should be going into effect and announced any time soon. It effects all of WA coast to the Umpqua River in Oregon and also including quite a bit of CA also.

http://www.nmfs.noaa.gov/pr/pdfs/criticalhabitat/leatherback_proposed.pdf

http://www.nmfs.noaa.gov/pr/pdfs/species/leatherback_criticalhabitat_petitioned_map.pdf

No you can’t have my rights---I’m still using them

#631407 - 10/29/10 07:09 PM Re: MUST SEE video.... "End of The Line" [Re: Spade]
gabe0308 Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Bellingham WA
The movie is inspired by the book "The end of the line" written by Charles Clover that came out in 2006. If anyone would like to read the book I am willing to send them my copy as long as they pass it on to another fisherman to read.

#633973 - 11/09/10 12:47 AM Re: MUST SEE video.... "End of The Line" [Re: gabe0308]
eyeFISH Offline
Ornamental Rice Bowl

TTT.... only because I know someone interested who has yet to see it.

Maybe you do, too.

The Keen Eye MD
Long Live the Kings!

#893210 - 04/26/14 03:18 PM Re: MUST SEE video.... "End of The Line" [Re: eyeFISH]
eyeFISH Offline
Ornamental Rice Bowl

Sustainable? You be the judge.

Look I'm not doggin' the folks hard at work trying to eek out a living within what's allowed by law. The resource managers are totally behind the ball on reigning in the wholesale overexploitation of virtually ALL the world's large marine fish…. ever fewer and ever smaller.

The take only decreases by virtue of fewer fish to catch rather than any human restraint.

The Keen Eye MD
Long Live the Kings!

#893211 - 04/26/14 04:31 PM Re: MUST SEE video.... "End of The Line" [Re: eyeFISH]
SBD Offline
clown flocker

" Over 50% of the worlds population relies on fish for their primary diet"

So what's your idea Doc ban all medical care?

#893217 - 04/26/14 07:04 PM Re: MUST SEE video.... "End of The Line" [Re: eyeFISH]
Kinetic Kwik Offline
Spawner

Loc: sum x wet,sum x dry WA 4 Life
Here is an idea, right up your alley, Join now and go, sail away, go save the worlds fish!

#893232 - 04/27/14 12:52 AM Re: MUST SEE video.... "End of The Line" [Re: Kinetic Kwik]
NickD90 Offline
Shooting Instructor for hire

Loc: Snohomish, WA
There are 10x more fish in the worlds oceans than previously thought (total biomass). We are depleting the top zone / 0 - 200 Meters. Everything past 200 Meters is perfectly fine and way more abundant than ever imagined.

I'll just leave this here...BOOM SCIENCE!

Edited by NickD90 (04/27/14 12:56 AM)

#893312 - 04/28/14 12:43 AM Re: MUST SEE video.... "End of The Line" [Re: NickD90]
gregsalmon Offline
Spawner

Loc: alaska and washington
"They managed the fish till they were gone" My dad

Everybody agrees there is a shortage of fish. How about we just stop killing them and eat some rice and beans for a few years?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
3Gonads, herm
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1098 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13520
eyeFISH 12766
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63773 Topics
645291 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |