Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#63240 - 07/02/01 03:48 PM Pilgrimage to cooler water
Zen Leecher aka Bill W Offline
Spawner

Loc: Moses Lake
Taking a trip tomorrow with Mrs Zen down to the Metolius for some camping, stream fishing and sightseeing in the local towns.

Please don't expect much in the line of a successful report as "zen" doesn't cut it down there for me. Two trips so far.. and only one "hooking". Me, I ran the point of a stimulator in my thumb while showing some other fishermen my fly. They left chuckling. Me.. I was trying to get that fly out of my thumb. What made it hard was it was still on my leader and the leader was tight. Probably how it snapped in my finger.

Anyways... new trip starting tomorrow afternoon.

#63241 - 07/02/01 04:53 PM Re: Pilgrimage to cooler water
T.M. Offline
Alevin

Loc: Edmonds
Have a good trip Zen Leecher laugh

#63242 - 07/02/01 06:09 PM Re: Pilgrimage to cooler water
FishnfellaS Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Grand Coulee,Wa. 99133
The Zen is a natural lake fisherman and would have a much better time on Crane Prairie Rez.
I tried to tell him,but Ohmmmmmmmmmm,Ohmmmmmm,Ohmmmmmm. rolleyes

#63243 - 07/03/01 12:06 PM Re: Pilgrimage to cooler water
Spawner

Yeah... streams, if there's any size to them, seem to have my number.

Back in the old days, when I lived in PA, I didn't have this problem. Maybe because I baitfished back then and also learned how to minnow fish for trout. My grandfather taught me that. He could catch a limit of goodsized trout with "minnies" fairly quick. He also used frogs for pike.

#63244 - 07/09/01 12:01 PM Re: Pilgrimage to cooler water
Spawner

My trip to the Metolius was, in a word, interesting.

The Clouser Minnows I imagined would work for bull trout, didn't get a single bite. Well... unless the submerged pine tree doesn't count. It bit and kept my Clouser.

The other fishing was "interesting". I finally caught some fish. Caught two small trout and one afternoon fishing the Allingham Bridge hole.. had lots of strikes, mostly on brown soft hackles. I fished them under a BWO and a golden stone Stimulator and while I only had about 3 strikes on the dry flies.. had lots on the trailing wet flies. Must have missed 12 or so strikes.

This was the first time I fished a trailer under a dry fly, and when the dry fly went under, not due to a strike, it was hard to get used to lifting the rod. I missed all strikes.

Had strikes on two types of Golden Stone dries, BWO dries, zug bugs, brown soft hackles and some other wet flies that I can't remember.

This time I did NOT fall in the water and amuse my fellow fishermen, nor did I hook myself while revealing my "secret fly" to other fishermen.

Did get to tour the E. F. Payne bamboo rod company in Sisters, Oregon and see their museum with the old H. L. Leonard rod making equipment.

Payne has been in continuous business since 1876 and incorporated as a business in 1898. The bamboo rods are cheap... (my humor). Lowest price one was $1850 with the regular rod going $2700. Kinda out of my range.

Bill

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Budman, fishmonkey
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
3 registered (stonefish, 20 Gage, Salmo g.), 761 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13525
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63780 Topics
645398 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |