THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#63361 - 07/21/01 12:38 PM Re: What Is Pop Gear?
FishnfellaS Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Grand Coulee,Wa. 99133
Hey Zen: Some people fish to cast. Some people CAST TO FISH. I'm one of the latter.
Besides, good flies make up for poor technique.That's why I've redefined the meaning of "good presentation." smile

#63362 - 07/21/01 03:03 PM Re: What Is Pop Gear?
RipDatLip Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Battle Ground, WA
I have another question. If I just connect weight to my line and do so many pulls and troll at a certain speed then the line will be at a certain angle from the boat. This sounds kinda like a math problem and it is. What is the average angle that the line makes with the boat when trolling using different weights? I don't know if my questions are coming across clear to you. Say if I use 3 oz and want to fish at 40ft then how many pulls should I use. Or what about if I use a deep six or other type of weight? How do I know how deep I am fishing?
Matt

#63363 - 07/22/01 12:42 AM Re: What Is Pop Gear?
Mike C Offline

Loc: Redmond
Hey Rip,
If we have any math teachers out there I'm sure they will use this for a test question! The problem is there are too many variables to answer your question. First, you're trolling speed would have to be constant. Second, the amount of line pulled out would have to be the exact same each time. If you know those two factors and keep them the same, then you take the angle that the line makes when it breaks the plan of the water. If you know the angle, and you know the amount of line out, you can then determine the depth. Because if you know one angle, and make the second angle 90 degrees, you then will know the third angle. Once you know two angles and one side you can figure out the other sides (ie the depth). But that's as far as I can take you since I haven't figured this out since high school. You'll need a high school trig book.
But the problem is to know how to vary the depth every time you go out you will have to measure the angle of the line as it enters the water. Pretty hard to do on a moving boat. Even with a downrigger we are using rough estimates of depth since the downrigger line will slant back. So the real answer is: keep your trolling speed constant, adjust the amount of line out until you hit fish, then keep track of the number of pulls you used to get to the fish and use the same pulls the next time. (Which is basically how you use a pink lady or deep six driving plane anyway). Man - this fishing stuff is way too complicated! eek
I use a rough rule of thumb - you're depth is about 2/3s of the line out if the line angle is around 45 degrees. So 60 feet out equals about 40 feet deep.

#63364 - 07/22/01 02:21 PM Re: What Is Pop Gear?
RipDatLip Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Battle Ground, WA
I know there are many variables, but you gave me a tip that I was looking for. I will remeber 2/3 of the line out at a 45 degree angle. Trig is not a problem for me. I plan on taking calculus next year in HS. Just need to find a time to get off work and go fishing for ANYTHING. I haven't been fishing in several weeks. eek good luck to you all, unless I have more questions. Oh, and my previously tied lures have the snap on/off clips for easy blade changing. So if the black blade doesn't work, I'll change blade colors. Last question is if you prefer only one blade per lure or two.

Matt

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
CHUBS
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 939 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13521
eyeFISH 12766
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63773 Topics
645302 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |