Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#635245 - 11/14/10 12:23 PM New Elwha hatchery nears completion
Phoenix77 Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Kent, WA
New Elwha hatchery nears completion
Removing the two dams has been a decades-long process, and officials are hopeful the new hatchery facility will boost a river that once hosted all five salmon species and steelhead.

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/othersports/2013421259_outn14.html

If you must burn our flag, Please! wrap yourself in it.
Puget Sound Anglers, So. King Co.
CCA SeaTac Chapter

I love my country but fear my government

#635255 - 11/14/10 01:41 PM Re: New Elwha hatchery nears completion [Re: Phoenix77]
Satan Offline
I love me

Loc: Around the way
Why the hell are they putting a hatchery on this river??? Have we learned nothing? Remove the dams and LEAVE THE RIVER ALONE for 5 years and see what happens. My 2 year old niece could figure that out. I had to speak up on this,this kind of misguided fisheries management really irks me.

The Elwha was once home to a giant race of salmon am I not mistaken? Where are the genetics for this now defunct race of fish coming from? If these fish have 70 miles of spawning habitiat will the hatchery fish utilize this habitat? Chances are won't it be like any other terminal hatchery banana fishery? Is this just to jumpstart the river or be a permanant travesty,either way i think it's a really bad idea. Anyone else have any thoughts on this or am I just overreacting?

#635256 - 11/14/10 01:43 PM Re: New Elwha hatchery nears completion [Re: Satan]
Satan Offline
I love me

IMO the native fish(what may be left of them) should be allowed to propagate naturally,isn't that the whole point of removing the damns in the first place?

#635262 - 11/14/10 02:02 PM Re: New Elwha hatchery nears completion [Re: Satan]
cobble cruiser Offline
~B-F-D~

Regarding the river's steelhead population, wouldn't there be some genetic purity left over in the rainbow population uptstream of the dams? I was under the impression that this population came from original steelhead smolt that were forced to residualize when the dams were constructed. If this was the case, we should just give them the chance to find the salt again.............or not? what

Edited by cobble cruiser (11/14/10 02:02 PM)

#635266 - 11/14/10 02:08 PM Re: New Elwha hatchery nears completion [Re: Phoenix77]
Eric Offline
River Nutrients

Quote:
"After the four month period is over we will give the parks service the notice, and hopefully get their OK and initiate the hatchery," Ward said.

Shouldn't the OK be obtained BEFORE constructing the hatchery? What if NPS says "No!" ?

Quote:
The new hatchery is a critical component of the Elwha River Ecosystem Restoration project, and is just one of the paths in the rebuilding process of fish returns.

Says who? ....Mark Yuasa? NPS?

I too am bothered by the thought of a hatchery. Everything I've read up to now has indicated the river would be left alone, a natural laboratory if you will, to see nature at work reseeding a river NATURALLY. Many bios have been quoted at how excited they are to see first hand how salmon and the river respond if left alone and given a chance. Then this article comes along.

huh

#635268 - 11/14/10 02:11 PM Re: New Elwha hatchery nears completion [Re: Eric]
Satan Offline
I love me

I missed the steelhead part. That pisses me off even more.

#635274 - 11/14/10 02:47 PM Re: New Elwha hatchery nears completion [Re: Satan]
bushbear Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Sequim
Some background information in the link below.

http://www.ospreysteelhead.org/archives/TheOspreyIssue65.pdf

#635275 - 11/14/10 03:02 PM Re: New Elwha hatchery nears completion [Re: bushbear]
Bigjim Offline
will always be a Juvenile at Sea

This kind of stuff makes me realize that giving a damn may not be worth it. Perfect opportunity, yet squandered.

#635341 - 11/14/10 09:08 PM Re: New Elwha hatchery nears completion [Re: Bigjim]
Todd Offline
Dick Nipples

Loc: Seattle, Washington USA
Same as the Toutle when Mt. St. Helens erupted, and likely the same result...

Fish on...

Todd

Team Flying Super Ditch Pickle

#635343 - 11/14/10 09:16 PM Re: New Elwha hatchery nears completion [Re: Todd]
SBD Offline
clown flocker

Loc: Water

There's a sucker born every minute

#635344 - 11/14/10 09:23 PM Re: New Elwha hatchery nears completion [Re: SBD]
eyeFISH Offline
Ornamental Rice Bowl

The Elwha needs a new hatchery about as much as it needs a new dam.

F'n retards!

"If you don't kill them, they will spawn." (Carcassman)

The Keen Eye MD
Long Live the Kings!

#635347 - 11/14/10 09:45 PM Re: New Elwha hatchery nears completion [Re: eyeFISH]
Rivrguy Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Somewhere on the planet,I hope
At the risk of breaking the infamous holy grail on hatcheries on this BB, I would put this thought forward. Has it occurred to anyone ranting on this subject that those trying to get non viable dams removed had to compromise to get the financial and political support needed? That they concluded that the benefits of this out weighed the risk? That if a dam removed with it's habitat mostly protected failed that the ability to get other non viable dams removed would be greatly reduced and this was insurance?

Get off the self righteous kick. 10 years ago the bet was they were not coming out. However and whatever compromises were needed they are getting them out.

#635352 - 11/14/10 10:00 PM Re: New Elwha hatchery nears completion [Re: Rivrguy]
ParaLeaks Offline
WINNER

Loc: Olypen
It's also unrealistic to expect that the Tribe that lives on the Elwha would be willing to wait until the wild component (if any remain) repopulates. The hatchery on the reservation has been supplying fish for a lot of years, as well as the hatchery further upriver.

I think there are going to be a lot of unplanned for consequences that will need to be addressed as they occur, and that it will be many, many years before the river settles down into any sort of natural drainage.

Could get real interesting when the river rages unrestrained.

#635362 - 11/14/10 10:20 PM Re: New Elwha hatchery nears completion [Re: ParaLeaks]
thaxor Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Olympia, WA
So what kind of program does the tribe currently run on the Elwha?

From the article it looks like a steelhead broodstock program at least, and potentially a salmon broodstock program.

Quote:
The tribe's current facility has a broodstock program that raises yearling steelhead. Elwha steelhead are part of the Puget Sound steelhead population listed as "threatened" under the federal Endangered Species Act.

Other fish the tribes raise annually are chinook, chum and coho, and they also plan to begin a pink salmon program in the new facility.

Edited by thaxor (11/14/10 10:20 PM)

#635379 - 11/14/10 11:11 PM Re: New Elwha hatchery nears completion [Re: thaxor]
FleaFlickr02 Offline
River Nutrients

Frankly, I don't see any net gain for the system by removing the dams and building a new hatchery. All that will do is expand the range of the hatchery fish, which research seems to indicate will be detrimental to the recovery of whatever is left of the wild stocks. I suppose this could result in a better (or at least broader) sport fishery, but I don't think that justifies it.

At least with the dams in place, there was no polluting of the upper watershed with hatchery genes (or with the mountains of trash and excrement that seem to follow salmon and steelhead anglers wherever they go). Leave it to politicians to turn something that should have been a win for native fish into an opportunity to expand the range in which the ecosystem can be legally raped.

Yes, this whole thing is likely the result of a tradeoff that had to be negotiated in order to bring down the dams, but it seems to me this concession will negate all the unique circumstances that were supposed to make this such an important study. We're basically turning the Elwha into every other river in the PNW. "Dam" frustrating.

#635384 - 11/14/10 11:25 PM Re: New Elwha hatchery nears completion [Re: FleaFlickr02]
eyeFISH Offline
Ornamental Rice Bowl

There is no need for a hatchery on a free-flowing Elwha.

The existing one should be dismantled as soon as the dams come down.

The wild fish WILL recover if simply left alone. JFC! they've managed to do it for millennia without our "help".

Recovery of abundant salmon runs requires three ingredients... good habitat, ready access, and just leave them alone.

The question is do fish managers have the discipline to do so.

Apparently not.

"If you don't kill them, they will spawn." (Carcassman)

The Keen Eye MD
Long Live the Kings!

#635391 - 11/15/10 12:02 AM Re: New Elwha hatchery nears completion [Re: eyeFISH]
Carcassman Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Olema,California,Planet Earth
No, they don't have that discipline.

Actually, then managers only do what they are told. Society is without discipline.

#635392 - 11/15/10 12:05 AM Re: New Elwha hatchery nears completion [Re: Rivrguy]
Satan Offline
I love me

Originally Posted By: Rivrguy

Get off the self righteous kick. 10 years ago the bet was they were not coming out. However and whatever compromises were needed they are getting them out.

So why undermine that by building another damn hatchery? Call me a self righteous idealist if you will. I'm tired of seeing our natural resources abused by special interests.

#635402 - 11/15/10 12:41 AM Re: New Elwha hatchery nears completion [Re: Satan]
Todd Offline
Dick Nipples

Loc: Seattle, Washington USA
With all the great "management" we do for our fish stocks, I'm glad we came along when we did...I mean, after 400,000 years of doing it without our management, they must have just barely been hanging on by a thread before we got here to save them!

Lucky salmon!

Not.

Fish on...

Todd

Team Flying Super Ditch Pickle

#635403 - 11/15/10 12:41 AM Re: New Elwha hatchery nears completion [Re: Satan]
bushbear Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Sequim
The Lower Elwha tribe raises coho and steelhead. I think their current hatchery is less than 200 yards from high tide and I'm not sure where the new one is located, but it will be close to saltwater.

WDFW has been capturing, spawning, hatching, and releasing Chinook on the Elwha for years. Hard to say what population numbers would be like for re-populating the river without the "mainenance" program. There is not a lot of good spawning habitat in the 4+ miles below the lower dam.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Jose, sky
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 158 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63778 Topics
645368 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |