Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#637621 - 11/24/10 12:38 PM Re: Do you like your job? [Re: Todd]
Driftfishnw Offline
Steelhead Hitman

I have a pretty kickass gig...

#637622 - 11/24/10 12:39 PM Re: Do you like your job? [Re: summerrun]
Dan S. Offline
It all boils down to this - I'm right, everyone else is wrong, and anyone who disputes this is clearly a dumbfuck.

Loc: SE Olympia, WA
RJ,

Best of luck to you and your wife.

Bon Scott - Shot Down in Flames

#637623 - 11/24/10 12:42 PM Re: Do you like your job? [Re: summerrun]
chasbo Offline
Spawner

Loc: oly
Dogfish, that sounds awfully fishy to me. You are in the banking business, foreclose properties and then get the peoples stuff and the remodel work to boot?

It sounds like you could be working for the fed gov't.

"Wow, how do you get all those nice insurance jobs?" I once asked a contractor competitor.
His reply, "My brother sells insurance."

#637626 - 11/24/10 12:53 PM Re: Do you like your job? [Re: chasbo]
Dan S. Offline
It all boils down to this - I'm right, everyone else is wrong, and anyone who disputes this is clearly a dumbfuck.

Loc: SE Olympia, WA
I believe Dogfish's ethics are beyond reproach.

Bon Scott - Shot Down in Flames

#637636 - 11/24/10 01:19 PM Re: Do you like your job? [Re: ]
STRIKE ZONE Offline
GOOD LUCK

Loc: Hobart,Wa U.S.A
The asphalt business suck's ass right now,however I'm happy I have a job and have had it for 24 years.Sure I'd like to make a little more coin with a little less drama,but it is what it is for now.It pay's the bill's and makes a guy humble @ times.@ the age of 43 I don't see a change coming any time soon.Good luck,
SZ

"Do you like your job" I'll go with "YES".

#637637 - 11/24/10 01:23 PM Re: Do you like your job? [Re: JDarr]
goharley Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: U.S. Army
Originally Posted By: JDarr
Are there any important skills or classes I need to take to sign up as the fishing bum husband of a wealthy wife?
Ya gotta be able to lick your eyebrows and breathe through your ears.

#637640 - 11/24/10 01:27 PM Re: Do you like your job? [Re: ]
FleaFlickr02 Offline
River Nutrients

Do I like my job? Not really, but it pays the bills and seems pretty stable, so I'm content for now. Could be (and has been) a lot worse.

I don't put a lot of stock in zodiacs and such, but the Chinese have me pegged by labeling me an Ox. The ox, it is said, thrives on orderliness and hates uncertainty. Pretty much describes me to a T, which I think explains why I don't have the mind (or the stomach) for running my own business. The only way I could take the plunge into entrepreneurship would be if I could find a fool-proof way to incorporate the things I love to do into something reliably marketable. Sounds like I may be slogging it at the office for a few more years....

#637641 - 11/24/10 01:31 PM Re: Do you like your job? [Re: goharley]
Coho Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Muk
Love the job, love the enviroment, and work with great people. There is life after getting hit in a RIF. Grass is greener.

Its the ones that live off L&I that some how are able to fish...I hope get what they got comin----but thats another subject..

Ok back to work

#637644 - 11/24/10 01:38 PM Re: Do you like your job? [Re: STRIKE ZONE]
bacota Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Seattle
Still trying to figure out what I want to be when I grow up. Until then, I'm stuck in an office making just enough to have fun on the weekends and save a little bit. Could be a lot worse, I suppose.

#637647 - 11/24/10 01:46 PM Re: Do you like your job? [Re: Coho]
docspud Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Silverdale Wa
Pretty much everyone I know has a passion in life. Seldom is it work but for the lucky few. Work pays for fishing/hunting/outdoors, that is about it. Love it, hate it, whatever. Even if you hate it, it allows for things you love.

Just look at that next hour as payment for that boat/reel/rod/gas/bait/ect. Seems to get me through the tough days.

Now back to work with the standard chant......Seasport, seasport, seasport.

Edited by docspud (11/24/10 01:47 PM)

#637652 - 11/24/10 02:29 PM Re: Do you like your job? [Re: docspud]
Rocket Red Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Elma
My job is pretty directly tied to the economy, and so the last couple years, and the next couple of years may be a little lean and scary.

I am a minor principal/manager of a small Civil engineering firm.

Some days (we landed a huge project!) are great, some days (you need to go lay someone off) suck. Most days are just fine, and I don't hate my job at all.

Yesterday, I had eight hours of frantic phone calls, e-mails, and meetings due to too much snow on the roof of an old manufacturing facility. My boss said I looked like: "A cat covering sh!t and getting the sand from the next county", but I can't complain. I was earning money for my firm, and ultimately helped keep the facility up and running, thus keeping about 50 people working in the times before holidays.

When I shut down my computer yesterday, it felt pretty good.

This morning I had a meeting with some people who we are doing a design/permit/build project for. The project is about 50% completed they were so happy with the results, we added a bunch of add-ons this morning. So, two great days in a row.

I'm going to cut out right now to make sure if something goes wrong now, it happens when I am on holiday.

#637654 - 11/24/10 02:33 PM Re: Do you like your job? [Re: Twitch]
big moby Offline
Carcass

Loc: varies
Good post twitch! I feel your pain.

I have had jobs where I literally wanted to puke before going because I hated the job/people I worked with. After a moment of clarity I decided to go back to school. That was the best decision I could have made. Better pay and better gig, now I just have to pay off my $50,000 in student loans. sh't happens.

One of the best decisions I have made recently was to ditch the spinner gig. actually get to see my kids and fish once in awhile!

#637655 - 11/24/10 03:00 PM Re: Do you like your job? [Re: big moby]
Starfish Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Richland, WA
I feel really lucky to have a great paying job that can support putting the kids through school and paying for my fishing habit and still have enough for a comfortable life for my wife and me.

Is it my favorite way to spend my days? No way. I'd love to be able to retire and spend my time with the fishing and the volunteer stuff I do that I don't get paid for. But it's not a bad deal at all. So all around, yeah- I'm a happy camper and I like my job.

#637656 - 11/24/10 03:09 PM Re: Do you like your job? [Re: Starfish]
bota2 Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Allyn
I love being a chiropractor and a small business owner, even though it comes with a ton of debt.

The only hard part about it is the insurance companies. They make it as hard as possible to get paid and then pay you less and less. There has not been a year that insurance companies did not lower the amount I get paid for services. Also, every year patients deductibles raise and co-pays raise. That is what pisses me off the most, deductibles and co-pays get higher and my receivables from insurance gets lower, only one winner here.

#637661 - 11/24/10 03:23 PM Re: Do you like your job? [Re: bota2]
Jerry Garcia Offline

Loc: everett
Most days I like my job, some days take a toll. I'm basically responsible for between $6 to $10 million of production a year, some days I get tired. I'll be 60 next week and figure I have another 6 to 7 years to go. I get paid well enough that my wife rarely works. I just get tired of other peoples emergencies.

Growing old ain't for wimps
Lonnie Gane

#637663 - 11/24/10 03:44 PM Re: Do you like your job? [Re: Jerry Garcia]
docspud Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Silverdale Wa
How does that go Jerry? Now I remember......."Piss poor planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine."

My father told me that when I was young and though I was not impressed at the time, I learned to like it.

#637668 - 11/24/10 04:15 PM Re: Do you like your job? [Re: docspud]
Piper
Unregistered

this Piper loves his job... that's were I get the screen name. I have yet to find someone I would trade jobs with...

Just this weekend I was sitting in front of the tv working on the laptop and my 7 yo comes over and wants to know what i'm doing... I give him a 3d walkthru of my current project and then he asks "can I do that dad?" In 2 minutes he was walking thru the facility better than most people in my office can... "Dad this is just like video games... where's the guns?"

#637680 - 11/24/10 05:18 PM Re: Do you like your job? [Re: ]
big moby Offline
Carcass

I like laying pipe.

#637682 - 11/24/10 05:36 PM Re: Do you like your job? [Re: big moby]
gweed'O'#1 Offline
Fry

Loc: Hillsburrito
4 weeks for huntin 3 for fishin....Ya i like my job...

Chris,, laying pipe to rosie and palmala has gotta get old....

#637690 - 11/24/10 06:21 PM Re: Do you like your job? [Re: gweed'O'#1]
big moby Offline
Carcass

She never has a headache smile

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
CHUBS
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 939 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13521
eyeFISH 12766
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63773 Topics
645302 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |