Three Rivers Marine

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#63769 - 10/23/01 03:39 PM Hood Canal Chums
Easy Limits Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Nisqually
It is almost time for Chums on Hood Canal. I have not fished this fishery before but I do plan on making a trip or two this year. Does any one have any suggestions on where to launch a boat? Any fishing tips, tricks, or tactics would also be appreciated!

Thanks

#63770 - 10/23/01 07:40 PM Re: Hood Canal Chums
Mike C Offline

Loc: Redmond
Hi Carl,
I fished Hoodsport last year. It is a blast with a ton of fish to catch and last year the fish were huge. I expect the same this year based on the season we've had thus far. Here are some details:
Best rig to fish with was by far the simplest. Take a 1,2, or 1/0 hook and tie on some green yarn. That's it, nothing more. Leader is about 3 feet to a weight that is mainly used to just cast with. Cast this rig out and retrieve at a moderate pace, not too slow. You do not want it to drag the bottom. THIS IS NOT A SNAGGING RIG! The fish will hit this rig and hit it hard. You may add a small green corky too, it helps keep the rig suspended. By the day's end your arm will be ready to fall off. smile
Launching a boat: Here is the link that will show you available boat ramps: http://boat.iac.wa.gov/launches.asp?county=Mason#5
The ramp 1 1/2 mile south of Hoodsport is closest. I think it's kind of steep and slipery. Also, no boat pier. A better launch but farther away (I think about 6-7 miles by boat to Hoodsport) is Twanoh. It has a pier and the launch is less steep. I may use this one this year with my new boat.
Regarding the crowds - yes, very crowded. Be sure to have an anchor that will hold the rather smooth and rocky bottom. Last year everyone was constantly moving due to the tide pushing people's boats even when anchored. Seems like half the boaters had too small of an anchor.
Carl, if you can go on a Wednesday I would be happy to share a trip with you. My boat or yours. Just shoot me an e-mail. I live in Redmond.

#63771 - 10/24/01 01:45 PM Re: Hood Canal Chums
bobbersdown Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Bellevue Washington
Hey Mike, I do not have a boat but would be able to share expense and a Wednesday if you are open. laugh laugh Thanks for the tips.

#63772 - 10/24/01 03:58 PM Re: Hood Canal Chums
Easy Limits Offline
River Nutrients

Mike, THANKS! for the invite. I will have to look at my schedule to see if I have a Wednesday free. What is the best time in November to go? I know a couple buddies and myself are planning on hitting the canal in the middle of November. From what I understand it should be RED HOT then.

#63773 - 10/24/01 09:24 PM Re: Hood Canal Chums
8 FOOT LEADER Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Seattle, WA, USA
Let me know how the trip goes fellas

#63774 - 10/24/01 10:43 PM Re: Hood Canal Chums
JimSa Offline
Fry

Loc: Bellevue, WA, USA
I too have been thinking about heading out to Hoodsport for the first time. So is the preferred way to fish these chum by anchoring and casting? I've always been more of troller myself. Is anchoring up more productive on this fishery?

A question for MikeC: On the setup you describe above, what sort of weight are you talking about? A small banana weight in-lined, or more of drift setup with something like pencil lead, a slinky, or bouncing betty?

Thanks!
-Jim

#63775 - 10/25/01 04:31 AM Re: Hood Canal Chums
8 FOOT LEADER Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Seattle, WA, USA
My wife and I made a trip there last year, you know, one of those sunny, sunday olympic penninsula day drives...with fishing rods tactically placed unknowling in the trunk. Of course we get there and "oh honey look at all the fish schooling way out there on the surface, I think I happen to have left my rod in the trunk". Oh yeah, and my waders and yours, and my vest, and yours. You get the picture.

It was high noon, none of the folks on the shore were catching anything. Of course the fish were schooling way out from the shore and they were casting 10 ft infront of themselves. Tide was out bigtime too. So I made myself the worlds largest slinky or two, or three and placed them all on my line and launched a peice of chartreuse yarn about a mile out into the sound there at hoodsport. I was just messing around to try and get all the line twist off my reel. I let my reel free spool for a bit and then I noticed the slack in the line went tight. Usually when your stuff hits the bottom, you get more slack in the line and it lays down limp on the water. Well, I started to retrieve and next thing I know I got a chum on. Wooohooo! So after a 10 min battle I had my first hoodsport chum. A nice chromer about 15 pounds. So I proceeded to make my wife a few slinkys the same size and showed her how to get some more distance on her casts.

Funny think was, there were several bank fishermen by us and they were amazed I had actaully caught one at low tide, and in the middle of the day no doubt. One local guy said, no one catches them in the middle of the day unless your out there in a boat.

Well after about the 3rd fish we hooked...by my wife, people started wondering over to where we were at asking what we were using. I showed them and they couldn't believe it. One guy hollered "They are just snagging them, don't listen to them!!!" So meanwhile my wife is reeling in her legally hooked chum and these guys are watching. So we get it in and one guy hollered back " Nope, she's got this one legal". And next thing ya know people are making slinkys, and tacking on 3-4 oz bananna sinkers and chartruese yarn, then launching them a mile out.

Well as the tide came in and the sun headed down, the chums came in close to shore. After that it was a arm buster! I can't even remember how many fish we caught and released. It was a blast!

Anyway, have fun, let me know if they are there yet.

#63776 - 10/25/01 07:45 AM Re: Hood Canal Chums
Mike C Offline

Answers:
I believe it was mid-Nov. Unfortunately the report I sent to NWFishing never got posted (another reason why I added saltwater to our site. mad ) Anyway, that should be right and it should be good through the end of the month.
The weight is a small piece of drift pencil lead, just enough to allow a good cast. We used a sliding setup but I doubt it matters.The fish we caught took on the upper half of the water collum (sp).
This fishery is an anchor and cast fishery. I know that some troll but have never tried and really don't know what works. It's a blast to sit back and watch the boats and shore fishermen catching these chums! BTW, these are not bright fish and I've only caught one that I would consider taking home to eat. This is combat fishing, but I know there are spots along Hood Canal that are less crowded than Hoodspot. Hey, I don't mind it because I have no illusions about what to expect.
As far as which Wednesday in Nov, looks like I spoke too soon. I have two free Wednesdays - the 21st and 28th, and with the 21st I'll have to take my kids out of their half day of school. So I can only take one other angler. Man it's a drag working two jobs. Maybe I can squeeze out another day as I would be happy to take some of you guys along.

[ 10-25-2001: Message edited by: MikeC ]

#63777 - 10/25/01 10:46 PM Re: Hood Canal Chums
Jonduke Offline
Alevin

Hoodsport can be a darn good place, but I just heard that Minter Creek was opened for Chums this fall, and might be a place to try. There's a small estuary stretch below the hatchery thats open, but man there are a lot of fish there. While visisting that hatchery, I've seen the place completely full of chums, just writhing with them. I think the paper said that 18,000 were returning this year. The creek is right by Purdy, and would probably be well worth a shot, if you were in the mood for more solitude (at least not until the word gets out).

#63778 - 10/27/01 12:57 AM Re: Hood Canal Chums
JimSa Offline
Fry

Loc: Bellevue, WA, USA
Does anyone know of other good places to fish the chum further up the canal? My grandmother lives in Brinnon and I've been meaning to get over to see her anyway... I thought I should check if there's somewhere closer that I could be fishing. Perhaps off the mouth of the DuckaBush or Dosewallips? Anyone know?

Thanks!
-Jim

#63779 - 10/29/01 11:42 PM Re: Hood Canal Chums
Chromeo Offline
Spawner

Loc: Kenmore, WA
I read on a site about hoodsport chums to use green or chartruse yarn with a medium/large pinned green or chartruse corkies the corkie needs to be big enough to float the hook and yarn. use 30" leaders with varying slinky weights.
Tyler Hood Canal Chum Salmon eek
haven't been there yet but am planning to do some fly fishing at a very good lake for big bows but will be there the week after.

#63780 - 10/30/01 07:44 PM Re: Hood Canal Chums
Old Man Offline
Spawner

Loc: Silver Star,Mt
Minter creek does not open until Nov.1. wink

#63781 - 10/31/01 11:45 AM Re: Hood Canal Chums
Zen Leecher aka Bill W Offline
Spawner

Loc: Moses Lake
One tip for you new gear slingers. When you go out for chums for the first time, don't belly up right next to the fly fishermen. They need a little extra room and the gear guy's lead weights hitting the water do spook the fish.

I've been over at Hoodsport and purposely fished about 100 yards away from the crowds. One time we hit fish on the first cast and the "crowd" bellied right up next to us, close enough to where I could hit them with my rod.. about 3 feet away.

It ain't good etiquette...

Now that I said that... chum fishing is a blast... strong fish. Don't go undergunned as they will break rods. I've caught them up to 23 pounds on a fly rod.

#63782 - 11/05/01 12:59 PM Re: Hood Canal Chums
Little Fish Offline
Spawner

Loc: Seattle, Washington
Stopped by Hoodsport Saturday morning and found combat conditions....lots of people, lots of fish. I only had hip waders so opted to hit one of the rivers farther up the Canal. Spent the next 3 hours hooking and releasng until my forearms ached. Kept a few bright ones for the smoker. The article Tyler referenced on chum fishing was right on the money with lots of good advice. Thanks Tyler.

JMS

#63783 - 11/05/01 03:39 PM Re: Hood Canal Chums
Easy Limits Offline
River Nutrients

Thanks for the update Little Fish! Did you happen to notice how many boats were on the water? I might have to head that way this weekend coming up.

#63784 - 11/05/01 07:17 PM Re: Hood Canal Chums
Mike C Offline

HI Carl,
Just posted a Hoodsport report today. Looks like things are in high gear. I haven't forgotten my earlier offer, I wanted to get in a couple Blackmouth trips first. I have the last two Wednesdays available. Let me know if either of those days work for you. Ditto to Thomas or anyone else wanting to share a trip. I can take two along.

#63785 - 11/05/01 07:35 PM Re: Hood Canal Chums
Little Fish Offline
Spawner

Loc: Seattle, Washington
Carl,
Early in the morning there were fewer than 5 boats around the actual creek mouth. Later when I passed by (noon) I'd say probably 10 to 15. Should be fun with a boat as you'll have a better chance to play the fish without crossing too many lines.
JMS

#63786 - 11/08/01 08:15 AM Re: Hood Canal Chums
bobbersdown Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Bellevue Washington
Does anybody have some information on whether these fish are in the rivers yet?

#63787 - 11/08/01 12:09 PM Re: Hood Canal Chums
Easy Limits Offline
River Nutrients

I have heard of some Chums being taken in the Green already. I have not had a visual on any though.
I will keep an eye out for them.

#63788 - 11/09/01 09:09 PM Re: Hood Canal Chums
Easy Limits Offline
River Nutrients

I fished the Green this afternoon down at Hwy 18. I hooked into a nice Chum, what a battle. It jumped three times before throwing the hook. frown
Oh well, maybe next time.
THE CHUMS ARE HERE!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
280ackimp, DAVEANNICK, nicksdad, redgussydog, reitersteelhead123, wallacewhaler123, zswoods
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 976 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63778 Topics
645354 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |