Three Rivers Marine

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#63809 - 11/21/01 02:08 PM Re: Hood Canal Chums
Timber Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Stumpy Acres
rocket red and green jig under a float takes the hens..They just cant seen to resist it..Now if ya just want to catch bucks green does the trick..

#63810 - 11/21/01 05:52 PM Re: Hood Canal Chums
centerpin Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: The Terrace
T.J. I use a W.F.floating 8weight line on a 4inch reel on a 10foot rod.Small flys tied in bright green,bright pink and pink and ornge combos.
I think the in comming tide is the best
good luck smile

#63811 - 11/21/01 06:56 PM Re: Hood Canal Chums
rainycity Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Seattle
Carl,
What day are you heading over?

#63812 - 11/22/01 10:44 AM Re: Hood Canal Chums
bobbersdown Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Bellevue Washington
On the flyrod information: I have WF floating and sink tip line on two reels. Which would be better or try both? I believe that I have some wooly buggers in green and chartreuse but nothing else. Would they work O.K. or should I get something else? Last and most important, I have a 5wt rod 8.5 ft, will this be sufficient? Keep in mind that I am new to flyfishing.

Also.....sounds like a blast fishing from a tube or pontoon boat for these monsters. Where would I let in? How far from shore to fish etc.....

Sounds like a great year. I am headed to the Satsop this weekend to try for, well, anything! laugh Have never been out there though any recommendations? How about recovery of the river from rain?

#63813 - 11/22/01 01:41 PM Re: Hood Canal Chums
Chromeo Offline
Spawner

Loc: Kenmore, WA
DONT TAKE THE 5WT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Tyler

ZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzSNAP!

#63814 - 11/22/01 04:04 PM Re: Hood Canal Chums
bobbersdown Offline
Juvenille at Sea

HAHAHHAHAHAHAH! That was really good. I laughed so hard my coworkers were commenting! I kind of figured that unless you had 10 miles of line a 5wt rod probably would be a bit of a disappointment. Still no answers about using a float tube or pontoon boat and distance from shore???

#63815 - 11/22/01 09:29 PM Re: Hood Canal Chums
Chromeo Offline
Spawner

Loc: Kenmore, WA
I'm goin either tomorrow or saturday. mabye in my buddies 12' alum or from shore but if anyone has any info on using a float tube and what kind of anchor to use it would be much appreciated!
Tyler
I'm pretty sure you dont have to get out that far from shore but then again i've never been.

[ 11-22-2001: Message edited by: Tyler Celli ]

#63816 - 11/23/01 03:28 AM Re: Hood Canal Chums
bigb8bigfish Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: seattle,wa
You're right about not getting too far and the current isn't all that bad close, but, you have too be far enough away from the casting idiots or kinda fish in line with everyone else. Don't know too many guys using anchors but it will help a lot if you don't want to use too much energy on staying put and spend it on fish. You can launch tubes and small rafts on the north side of the hatchery. Keep in mind DO NOT LAUNCH OR COME BACK TO SHORE on private property. County mounties really enforce it hard. Seen many a guys get stranded out past where the creek comes out and can't cross it back to the hatchery shore, so, they have no choice to either get water over their waders or go south a few hundred yards and come up to shore to awaiting shore patrols. Just got to go and fish it. And if not there, just as many places to fish in the canal or south sound for the same fish. wink

----------------

"DO THE WILD THANG"

#63817 - 11/23/01 09:53 PM Re: Hood Canal Chums
Easy Limits Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Nisqually
I fished the Hatchery Zone this morning (Friday). What a mess! I could not believe my eyes. The Indians were raping/netting the place with no regard for the fisherman on shore and on boats. A couple of guys in waders almost got run over by this clown/Indian that was netting the stream that flows from the hathcery.

Note to Mike and TJ.....we might want to plan our trip for a Saturday or Sunday instead of a Wednesday. During the week it seems as though the white man does not exist. They will run you over like you are not even there, literally. mad The fishing sucked too!

On another note, I ran into Bassin at the Zone. Helloooooo Bassin!

[ 11-23-2001: Message edited by: Carl Costenbader ]

#63818 - 11/23/01 11:24 PM Re: Hood Canal Chums
Easy Limits Offline
River Nutrients

Rainycity, I will be over at the Canal Saturday and Sunday morning. It should be a lot better than Friday was! Look for me, I have a 14ft tan w/red striped aluminum (see pix of boat on washingtonlakes.com home page).

#63819 - 11/24/01 09:47 AM Re: Hood Canal Chums
bobbersdown Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Hey Carl, I am heading out ther on Sunday with a budy of mine. We will be fishing from the bank. Any ideas on best location? This is a new fishery for me and I am not sure of my way around. Unfortunately I only have Wednesday as an option unless I get out there on a Sunday again and miss church (wife would NOT like that) rolleyes What's a guy to do? confused frown Maybe selective fishing should be applied to other things as well. Too late for me. Really though, I like church just hate missing those fishing opportunities. Any fishing opportunity. Got to set the example for my little one, right? Do you know what method of fishing works best from shore? Maybe I'll see you out there.

#63820 - 11/24/01 11:38 AM Re: Hood Canal Chums
Anonymous
Unregistered

I want to second Carls comments, The Netters were out in full force. I cannot believe that they kill and waste fish just for the eggs. So much for living in harmony with mother earth.
It was my 1st time up there and I did catch 7 fish in the mouth,one in the back and one in the belly. Most of the fish were real dark. I did get two that still had silver sides and they are in the smoker.
Carl, it was nice to meet ya. If the wind is not blown next time maybe we could talk a bit more. I may be up Sunday. But I also hear that the crappie bite is on at Silver Lake. We'll see.

#63821 - 11/24/01 04:55 PM Re: Hood Canal Chums
Easy Limits Offline
River Nutrients

Hey TJ, I went over to the HHZ this morning, boy was it stormy, worse than it was on Friday! If you are hoofing it follow the crowds to the hatchery. You have to walk through the hatchery to get to the beach. Land on both sides of the hatchery is private property. Take your lime green corkies and yarn and have at it. The low tide is in the morning this weekend which is perfect for hatchery fishing. Also keep an eye out for a hatchery just south of the boat launch before you hit Hoodsport on 101, it is really small but I guess guys have been doing really well there. Look for a bunch of cars pulled off to the side of the road.

#63822 - 11/25/01 09:27 PM Re: Hood Canal Chums
Easy Limits Offline
River Nutrients

My friend Blair and I fished the Canal all day long today (third day in a row). We started out at the HHZ. Action there was a lot less than normal, I caught two bucks that seemed like they were swimming by the HHZ headed for somewhere else. The HHZ might be past it's prime now. The wind started to pick up and we decided to head south toward the other hatchery south of the boat launch. When we got there we found a ton of Chums and shelter from the wind. We spent the rest of the day there hooking Chums left and right. smile

[ 11-25-2001: Message edited by: Carl Costenbader ]

#63823 - 11/29/01 11:39 AM Re: Hood Canal Chums
Easy Limits Offline
River Nutrients

Mike C, Thomas J, and I fished Hood Canal. After driving four hours to get there due to snow. We arrived at the boat launch. The ramp had to much snow on it to safely launch the boat. We went to a turn-out down the highway by the Enetai hatchery. We caught a ton of fish from the beach. It was a lot of fun considering how cold, snowy, and rainy it was. We even had a visit from WDFW Enforcement. They cut us some slack for not filling out our catch cards right away. THANKS GUYS! To bad the entire Hood Canal closes for salmon on November 30th. Except for the Hood Canal Hatchery Zone.
If you did not get out there this year you missed some great fishing!

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
landcruiserwilly, Tom Trune
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
1 registered (wolverine), 433 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63778 Topics
645372 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |