Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#64060 - 01/03/02 07:43 PM Re: Nickname for T. Jacobs
Zen Leecher aka Bill W Offline
Spawner

Loc: Moses Lake
Ron,

One thought. Wouldn't those flies be better tied upside down on a turned down eye hook?

That way with a riffle hitch the hookset would be pulling the hook point up. I thought it wouldn't have the right angle with a t/e eye.

Bill

#64061 - 01/04/02 01:19 PM Re: Nickname for T. Jacobs
Trout Master Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Edmonds
Zen, I did find some lakes on my own. Some are even here on this side of the mountains. But then agian that was also when I had my quad to run up in the hills. I'm willing to explore some of your other spots. I'm also looking forward to meeting with you and Ron as it is a pleasure to meet people like you who are truly great fly fisherman.
It was also a pleasure to fish with Micro brew acouple times last year. This is how we learn this art. So I'm ready to learn more. So bring it on BIG guy and I'll fish what ever lake you throw at me. laugh

#64062 - 01/04/02 01:43 PM Re: Nickname for T. Jacobs
Zen Leecher aka Bill W Offline
Spawner

Loc: Moses Lake
Don't think you really want the K***** lake. Ron went to it, I know of it and don't want to go to it and don't think you want to either. You are a little to old and too smart for a trip like that.

I could send you on a trip for Twin Lake cutts that would be lots more fun. Maybe we should do a fish-in weekend at one that should be a short 1 mile hike later this year. One I have in mind is a lake up out of Darrington. Don't think I'd want to take a heavy pontoon boat into it but the lighter ones might be doable.

Also have a fun stream to fish but it wouldn't take much pressure. Has rainbows.

#64063 - 01/04/02 02:12 PM Re: Nickname for T. Jacobs
Trout Master Offline
Returning Adult

Zen, call me and tell me about this K***** lake.
Also about the one with cutts. I still have my float tube so I'm game. Yeah your right about getting old, the body doesnt like the abuse anymore,but if the fish are worth it I'm game.
The one I know about is up in the sultan basin.
I never hiked it before ,allways went on quads. Fishing was great ,almost to good for cutts. No lie 50/60 fish(8" to 16") in 3 to 4 hours. So lets talk about them. Streams I'm no good at as I dont understand how to read them yet.

#64064 - 01/04/02 03:01 PM Re: Nickname for T. Jacobs
FishnfellaS Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Grand Coulee,Wa. 99133
Zen, I did worry what that riffle hitch is going to do for the hookset alright. Using a down eye scud hook you would need to tye w/the bend of the hook upside down in order to get the hitch in front of the hookeye so it doesen't slip off. I'm fooling around using thread/glue to stabilize the hitch too, as it's not a knot.
As used on a steelhead fly the leader comes out the side of the head and they still get a hookset out of it.
A downeye straight shank might work esp. tying the scud backwards on the shank.
The swimming scud straightens out, but the resting scud is arc shaped and I plan to fish it resting mostly. Only time will tell. I won't mind missing a few strikes if I'm getting bit a lot. laugh

#64065 - 01/04/02 03:19 PM Re: Nickname for T. Jacobs
FishnfellaS Offline
Returning Adult

Hey Zen, Watch that Troutmaster, he's buttering us up pretty good calling us "Great fly fishermen" and all that buttery crap. I think he's after some of our secrets.
Regarding the Daphnia fly, a friend of mine actually tied one. His theory (which ain't bad) is that often the daphnia school up in a dense cloud and that's when the trout gorge on them. His fly was a glob of lime green african goat dubbing (I think) with some lime green Krystalflash through it. No particular shape just a glob.
I doubted it would work so I never ask him about it.

#64066 - 01/04/02 03:29 PM Re: Nickname for T. Jacobs
Trout Master Offline
Returning Adult

Well Ok I guess I should say your a bunch of A holes, Would that get me into some good places? No I think not.So take the complements with stride and leave it at that. Wait untill we all get together at the secret lake , Then you may get called other things as well. laugh

#64067 - 01/05/02 03:06 AM Re: Nickname for T. Jacobs
Easy Limits Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Nisqually
Geeeeeez, what is with all of the "secret lake" stuff? We are all friends here! I will share mine if you share yours. Mine is on the west side of the HUMP too. :p

#64068 - 01/05/02 09:36 AM Re: Nickname for T. Jacobs
bobbersdown Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Bellevue Washington
Hey Carl, I think that these guys just don't want the general populace to know that they don't really catch fish....they just like talking about it! laugh :p

#64069 - 01/05/02 10:26 AM Re: Nickname for T. Jacobs
Micro Brew Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Normandy Park
Hey TM, how bout setting a date for this adventure? February is geting close....Give me a call.

#64070 - 01/05/02 12:59 PM Re: Nickname for T. Jacobs
Trout Master Offline
Returning Adult

Scott, welcome back! I havent a date yet to give you. But you will be told for sure. Jose is game for this adventure , are your friends? How was your vacation? Sorry Carl I cant mention where this secret lake is. As Zen mentioned I found it on my own. As did Micro Brew. Zen and Fishinfella are good hunters and will hunt anyone down who gives up the location or name. Sorry. laugh

#64071 - 01/05/02 03:10 PM Re: Nickname for T. Jacobs
FishnfellaS Offline
Returning Adult

Hey TM, I waz just teasing about the sugary names thing. You can call us whatever names you want good or bad,Zen and I are both old enough we've been called that before.

I think we better quiet down about the Secret Lake though, we're generating too much interest. I'd hate to see it looking like Chopaka on a weekend morning......It's pretty small,Zoweeeee,watch that backcast!!!

Did Zen tell you about the K*****lake? It's so remote and damn steep and nasty w/no trail and a cliff to go up you probably wouldn't like it anyhow.

Looks like ice will not be an issue this spring. Give me an E-mail when you guys set a date for the first outing and I'll try to work it into my busy Feb. schedule. laugh

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Skate
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1333 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63779 Topics
645378 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |