Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#64000 - 11/26/01 06:12 PM Nickname for T. Jacobs
Zen Leecher aka Bill W Offline
Spawner

Loc: Moses Lake
Tom,

All you need for a neat nickname is just an active imagination.

Just ask Trout Master how he got his.

Actually, I think he got his by sniffing way too much powerbait. He puts it in a paper bag, holds the bag to his nose and sniffs in and out. When he first said "huffing" I thought he was reading an old fairy tale about a wolf and three little pigs, but after a while I figured it out.

I got my nickname from the skillful use of woolly buggers and leeches to catch many large trout.

Pick one for yourself, otherwise I'll give Trout Master his paper bag back... and he'll name you.

Shoot, he might name you after a drink, just like he did to Micro Brew. Would you like to be called "Old Turkey"?

Also he's hung up on this nugget thing...

#64001 - 11/26/01 06:51 PM Re: Nickname for T. Jacobs
Micro Brew Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Normandy Park
TM - Couldn't spell Laphroaig.

MB

#64002 - 11/26/01 07:34 PM Re: Nickname for T. Jacobs
Spawner

Scary... you came real close to being a "Lapfrog"

#64003 - 11/26/01 09:51 PM Re: Nickname for T. Jacobs
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thanks for the advice about the nicknames. Laphroag or 'lapfrog' doesn't quite fit. eek

I do have a nickname from some friends because of another hobby of mine but it does not sound so good. I guess not everybody can be a Trout Master or a Zen Leecher.

Perhaps 'Grasshopper' since I am learning the way of the Leech? Although I would hate to have a damsel pattern burned on one arm and leech pattern on the other.

#64004 - 11/26/01 10:56 PM Re: Nickname for T. Jacobs
Trout Master Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Edmonds
Allright, Now why is the Len Zeacher picking on me? And Bill you said you would never tell about the huffing the power bait story! And Micro Brew
I dont even know the guy. Only seen him catch fish. I've never seen Zen Leacher catch a fish.
Tom has one thing going for him and that is the same last name as me.No realation that I know of though. laugh

#64005 - 11/27/01 01:50 AM Re: Nickname for T. Jacobs
Mr. Twister Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: wa
Ah, but some of us just mispell our own names. But hey, ZL is not a bad guy, he just send you off with his maps containing his red circles. Besides, ZL doesn't even fish the same no-name lakes that some of us do, or we would have to out fish him with pleasure. And I bet his leech collection is sorely out of date. My most recent leech pattern becase my favorite lerrch pattern after it slayed nice trout after nice trout in a lake not 45 minutes from ZL's ranch. And the poor guy has to drove to Canada for his fixes. Some of can do well in our own neighborhoods, guys.

#64006 - 11/27/01 09:55 AM Re: Nickname for T. Jacobs
bobbersdown Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Bellevue Washington
T.M. - same last name huh? Well that should take care of my nickname - something like Trout Apprentice or Trout Journeyman. laugh But with the same last name maybe it should be something like Smolt Master. laugh

#64007 - 11/27/01 12:26 PM Re: Nickname for T. Jacobs
Trout Master Offline
Returning Adult

My name is just that I dont know where I got it from. Now the Master part is cause I onced worked on a bait barge and started off as a jr, baiter.
And I'm sure you can figure out the rest.Tom you will find a name in time. laugh

#64008 - 11/27/01 01:58 PM Re: Nickname for T. Jacobs
Spawner

TJ,

Your modesty in picking a nickname is refreshing. Some of us on here, TM and myself included, displayed a lack of that in our eagerness to come up with the best name.

I may have to reconsider speculating that TM doesn't have enough "modesty" as he did (by his own report) catch a trout larger than me this year.

He told me, and I freely accepted it as the gospel truth, that he caught a 26 incher a couple of weeks ago.

My best was a 25 incher back in May, but that was 6 months earlier than TM's fish. If I rather conservatively calculated 6 months growth rate and added that to my fish, possibly mine would have bested his by two inches.

Woolly Worm - I had to think a while to remember the name behind that moniker, but it came to me. I forgot as I read your post of your trout catching exploits under your real name. I noticed you didn't pass on the name or location of the lake in that post either.

I do have a problem with lots of leech imitations in my fly box. They didn't get much use after a June BC trip. Most still look brand new. Next year they should lose their luster and pristine appearance.

Back to nicknames. I have a friend at work who has given me the title of "Big Fish". I assumed that was recognition of my ability to catch many large trout, in retrospect I should have been more suspicious as I think he is remarking on my many fish stories and that it appears I catch the same trout more than once (not necessarily catch and release).

Here are some sample nicknames you could consider:

Glo Bug
7x (as in tippet)
Light Rod (not recommended)
Damsel Master
Fish Catcher
and
No Bull

#64009 - 11/27/01 02:18 PM Re: Nickname for T. Jacobs
Old Man Offline
Spawner

Loc: Silver Star,Mt
Zen I think you have too much time in your hands. It seems that you spend more time on your computer that work. Now that's a bad word. Work. If my car wasn't sick I'd be out there fishing. Jim S. And as you see I don't need a nick name because I'm brave enough to use my own. cool

#64010 - 11/27/01 02:33 PM Re: Nickname for T. Jacobs
Trout Master Offline
Returning Adult

Zen Leecher again I thank you for the bad time you give me and for speaking for me. As for the names for T.J. Damsel Master would be a good one for him. I was thinking of changing mine to Zonker.
Now regarding the fish I caught, I do have the pic's to show you. We should hook up to xchange pic's. No news on the job yet for me. The owner should be up from California tomarrow. I'm keeing my fingers crossed.
And regarding Jim S's comment that you have to much time on your hands? I think it is great that you are at work and still keeping this board active. I have much respect for the Zen Leecher for this. next year we will all to go to the secret lake,T.J. , Zen and T.M. and Micro brew just to see who can catch the biggest trout. laugh

#64011 - 11/27/01 02:48 PM Re: Nickname for T. Jacobs
bobbersdown Offline
Juvenille at Sea

T.M. - next year huh? Just needing to practice up some on your abilities? Did you get a glance at that humorous link I placed here? (see new offseason flyfishing sport)http://www.conknet.com/~b_bull/special/chickenfishing.html

What about a little winter action? Wouldn't that be the test of a true Trout Master? What does anyone else thing?

#64012 - 11/27/01 03:33 PM Re: Nickname for T. Jacobs
Trout Master Offline
Returning Adult

When it comes to cold weather, I'm kind of a wuss. I have no problem admitting this. So late winter or early spring is the next time I will be out. Unless anyone has idea's on where to go.

#64013 - 11/27/01 03:34 PM Re: Nickname for T. Jacobs
Trout Master Offline
Returning Adult

When it comes to cold weather, I'm kind of a wuss. I have no problem admitting this. So late winter or early spring is the next time I will be out. Unless anyone has idea's on where to go. Plus my abilties are fine, I dont have to prove anything to anyone, As I am the Trout Master! laugh

#64014 - 11/27/01 03:36 PM Re: Nickname for T. Jacobs
Trout Master Offline
Returning Adult

Looks like I hickupped! laugh

#64015 - 11/27/01 03:45 PM Re: Nickname for T. Jacobs
Spawner

TM.

If we all fish together I will catch the biggest fish as I have spent the most $$$ on gear.

Technique or ability means little.

P.S. I will share some of my special $10.00 flies with you.

#64016 - 11/27/01 06:28 PM Re: Nickname for T. Jacobs
Trout Master Offline
Returning Adult

$10.00 thats all? What do you have for $25.00.
I'll catch more as I'll be sleeping in comfort at the lake, while you sleep in a tent.
Micro brew will proably out fish us both. The man is quiet, but he is really Trout Man. I saw what he can do. laugh

#64017 - 11/27/01 06:38 PM Re: Nickname for T. Jacobs
Spawner

TM,

Why do I have to sleep in a tent??? We bought a new truck camper last year. It even has an ice crusher in it for margaritas.

For $25.00 I'll give you two special trout catching flies, and a diagram of how to use them, and I'll put an "x" on the special spot where you're supposed to use them.

Changed my mind. I got a better offer for you. How about for $25.00 I give you two special trout catching flies and also a charter membership in the Zen Leecher fan club. You'll be the 2nd member..... right behind me.

Tom, here's another nickname for you. You might even like this one. How about "TeeJay"??

#64018 - 11/27/01 07:25 PM Re: Nickname for T. Jacobs
Trout Master Offline
Returning Adult

Charter Member huh? Is there any benifit from being a member, like discounts on events,fly tying classes etc? Oh I forgot you bought the camper. I still think it's a good idea for those of us that fly fish to meet up some weekend to fish. It would make for a very interesting weekend. laugh

#64019 - 11/28/01 08:10 AM Re: Nickname for T. Jacobs
Anonymous
Unregistered

Since we are upping the ante, how about 50.00 and Zen catches the fish for us? laugh laugh

Or, you all will be fine outside while I fish from inside Goose's cabin next time the water rises. (reference northwest fishing bb under Goose's Ark part II)

As far as the most money for gear, that is meaningless unless you have the ration of fish to gear correct. Therefore my 99 cent fly is equivalent to your 20.00 fly. :p wink

I think that it would be seriously interesting to get in some challengine winter fishing...maybe for soem cutts or some bows down deep? Then maybe meet up and see why he is called MicroBrew?

By the way TM, Zen was to the northwest of you, sounds just like my dad, but he had sense enough to blame the dog. :p laugh

#64020 - 11/28/01 11:06 AM Re: Nickname for T. Jacobs
Old Man Offline
Spawner

That's an awful a lot of money to spend for flies .99. I go to Out dr. emp. for mine. .75 and that's the same price for Steelhead flies also. At that price I only have to go once a year to stock up. They have a good selection. And no they do not fall apart when you cast them. Jim S. :p "so much water--so little time"

#64021 - 11/28/01 11:33 AM Re: Nickname for T. Jacobs
Micro Brew Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Okay, MB needs to step in here. I spent last Saturday up at Cady fishing in some of that crummy weather. Biggest fish there this year was a 32"er, caught earlier in the year. Did okay. As for winter fishing, today seems to be a good place to start.

Name the place & time of the fish off. Catch must be verified by a second person.

Seriously, it would be great for all of us to get together and flog the water. We might even be able to learn a few tricks from each other.

My December is out for any trips, but Jan. on would be great.

ZL / TM, that "secret" lake is supposed to be fishable as early as February. But it will probably be too cold for wussies...

"Fishing consists of a series of misadventures interspersed by occasional moments of glory" Howard Marshall

#64022 - 11/28/01 11:44 AM Re: Nickname for T. Jacobs
Trout Master Offline
Returning Adult

Micro Brew like a said I know your abilities. I've learned alot from you. I think the same about the secret lake, late feb would be great!
T.J. How could he be N.W. of me? As he lives in Kirkland,and works down south? Do you need a map?
And a compass? Let it snow ,Let it snow ,Let it snow. Opps not I have my second interview today at 1:30pm. laugh

#64023 - 11/28/01 12:00 PM Re: Nickname for T. Jacobs
Micro Brew Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Forgot to mention this.

I do hit the Emphorium for some gear. You might also check out Hills Discount Flies, they run $7.95 - 8.95 per dozen for most types.

#64024 - 11/28/01 12:08 PM Re: Nickname for T. Jacobs
Trout Master Offline
Returning Adult

That is alot cheaper than Zen Leecher brand! I myself am gonna start tying again , as I spent a small fortune this year on a new vise. Ah it's raining. mad

#64025 - 11/28/01 12:12 PM Re: Nickname for T. Jacobs
Spawner

Jim,

I'm working on catching a "big one" so please don't mention the 79 cent flies anymore. I'd like TM to "bite" on one of my $10 special flies with the addition of the free charter membership in the Zen Leecher fan club.

Disclaimer: Membership only free with purchase of special fly.

MB I'd already given thought to that lake being a February lake. I think the water seepage percolating thru the sand would have that lake amongst the first open. Also, I may get adventureous this year and do some hike in's in the DWA lakes. I think the minimum hike is a mile and there's a string of lakes past that. DWA is Desert Wildlife Area and the state's owned them since somewhere around 1972, maybe a little earlier than that.

#64026 - 11/28/01 01:10 PM Re: Nickname for T. Jacobs
Old Man Offline
Spawner

They are .75 cents not .79 cents. Please keep my facts straight. HEHEHE. Jim S. I too have a lot of time on my hands also. Car is sick. Almost to much to fix but cheaper than buying another one. TM, heard there is 5" of snow in Edmonds Jim S. cool

#64027 - 11/28/01 02:53 PM Re: Nickname for T. Jacobs
Trout Master Offline
Returning Adult

Only about 2.5" here next to Lake ballinger.
Zen Leecher , I cant afford your flies. But maybe you will just start to show me your skills of tying.? Please Oh wise one. Ohmmmmmmmmmmmm,Ohmmmmmmmmmmmmm!

#64028 - 11/28/01 03:58 PM Re: Nickname for T. Jacobs
Spawner

TM,

You should make some sacrifices to get my "special flies".

Remember the story of Jack and the beanstalk and how he obtained "special beans".

These should help you catch giant trout, and if your girlfriend tries to throw the flies away... well just don't let her do that as a large bamboo rod will grow in your yard.

#64029 - 11/28/01 06:57 PM Re: Nickname for T. Jacobs
Trout Master Offline
Returning Adult

T.M. allready catches large trout! As for the girlfriend throwing things away, cant happen as she does not live here anymore ,plus she knows how special my fishing gear is. And it's priority
in life. #1. Fly fishing #2. My dog (fat black Oso dog) big lab that is. #3. Girl friend.
Thats the rules here!

P.S. got any magic beans for sale mister? laugh

#64030 - 11/29/01 10:51 AM Re: Nickname for T. Jacobs
bobbersdown Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Alright, I'm back. December is out for me as well, January has posibilities but that February lake sounds good. I kind of like caddis master but TeeJay sounds good too. I wonder if Bob will help me change my profile without having to start over????

As far as cost for flies goes.....as long as it catches lots of fish, the price is usually worth it! Generally I don't have tome to go to Outdoor Emporium, but when I do, I like to stock up. They have some great patterns.

One thing for sure...I am not in the same class as TM, Zen of MB. Just from reading your posts I am blinded by the aura that you put off and hope to just keep warm in February basking in your presense. rolleyes wink

As far as biggest fish, mine was a 39+ inch brute of a chum.....unfortunately not on a flyrod though. laugh

I have yet been able to get to a lake the will boast some of these monster 'bows that you guys get but I have fun all the same. As far as flyfishing goes I am still a babe in the woods with regards to knowledge. frown Please don't take advantage of me. wink

#64031 - 11/29/01 11:22 AM Re: Nickname for T. Jacobs
Old Man Offline
Spawner

I been doing this thing for about 20yrs of and on and I think I'm still a novice. As for tying flies. I tried to but they look awful. Too shaky. So my best bet is to buy them. Zen, your flies don't cost too much. I went to Montana one year it was in June I think. Was in Missoula, went to Grizzly Hackle.Paid $2.80 for one fly that they said was out at the time. Boy what a sucker. 6 flies for 25.00 bucks. Does your camper have a shower? Jim S. P.S. Still didn't catch anything. I think that I'm the worlds worst fly fisher man. cool

#64032 - 11/29/01 01:37 PM Re: Nickname for T. Jacobs
Spawner

Yeah Jim, my camper has a shower, and if you remember how big I am, it's big enough for me.

Last one had a shower too, but the plastic shower curtain would stick to me when I sprayed water on myself. Made me feel like a taco. and the shower area was so small I couldn't even stick my elbows out.

This new one is roomy. I don't mind staying clean on fishing trips when using it.

If I really become a "plus size" it also has an outside shower, but I don't think anyone would want to watch me.

P.S. Dining area is roomy and well lit. Makes for a good area to sit, tie flies and watch what's going on outside.

#64033 - 11/29/01 02:25 PM Re: Nickname for T. Jacobs
Trout Master Offline
Returning Adult

Ok enough, Why dont you guy's go get a room! I dont need to hear about Zen showering and being wrapped in plastic. Damn what a site. frown
Zen what do you think about a trip east in feb?
We could almost do it like the clean up we had earlier this year!(remember where only us fly fishers should up).Or as a instructional retreat of Zen? Or whacky rude TM seminar? Or the way of the Micro Brew. laugh

#64034 - 11/29/01 04:30 PM Re: Nickname for T. Jacobs
Spawner

TM,

I have a new nickname for you. It's PITB". And that doesn't stand for Pretty Intelligent Trout Bonker.

#64035 - 11/29/01 07:23 PM Re: Nickname for T. Jacobs
Trout Master Offline
Returning Adult

So sir Zen what does it stand for? Come dont be shy ,Let it be known what is it? laugh

#64036 - 11/29/01 07:43 PM Re: Nickname for T. Jacobs
Spawner

you're a smart boy... you figure it out.

I see you're picking on MB also.

#64037 - 11/29/01 11:32 PM Re: Nickname for T. Jacobs
Trout Master Offline
Returning Adult

Zen, as for picking on M.B., not so just said he has been quite,thats all. And for the nick name I allready have one ,TROUT MASTER. DONT FORGET IT! mad

#64038 - 11/30/01 10:57 AM Re: Nickname for T. Jacobs
bobbersdown Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Alright you two, calm down or I will send you to your rooms with no fishing until spring :p ...wait a minute you two aren't planning to go out until then anyway! eek rolleyes

Hey T.M., I think you have a cool name you too Zen, if M.B. has been too quite recently then he may be out doing what we have only been talking about...fishing. laugh Nah! That would be giving him too much credit.

Hey do you two know what happens while trying to walk with felt soled wading shoes on the snow? Probably not, you were inside on the 28th! Think making a snowman......what a way to get some platform shoes! eek

A serious question - what is the best way to fish with chironomids. I have read some of the previous posts. Do either of you know of any snail patterns?

#64039 - 11/30/01 01:11 PM Re: Nickname for T. Jacobs
Trout Master Offline
Returning Adult

Tom, Micro Brew is the one who taught me earlier this year at Nunally how to fish chrono's with a indicator. Worked well. No I dont of any snail patterns. Wish I did as now is the time of the year they are feeding on them.

#64040 - 11/30/01 02:17 PM Re: Nickname for T. Jacobs
FishnfellaS Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Grand Coulee,Wa. 99133
Hey Zenman,if you and the guys posting on this thread are serious about a winter trout trip, you should try Rocky Ford in December before the weather gets a little cold.
Snowing like hell today....just perfect,brings em to the surface. Jim Snow has the right fly,Ronnies Special Scud. Didn't cost $25 either. Rainbow to around #6,for proficient flyfishers only. Fish Chronies and Scuds only in 16 to 20 under a yarn indicator 6" to 1'deep.Sight cast to spooky trout in shallow slowflowing water.
Me, I'll stay by the fire and tie some for next spring.

#64041 - 11/30/01 02:40 PM Re: Nickname for T. Jacobs
FishnfellaS Offline
Returning Adult

Snails, man I hate them buggers Tom. Hardest thing to imitate I know of. Try Kaufmanns catalogue p.110. Not a very good pattern if you ask me.
Try Rainys float foam in various colors rolled up and impaled on a large dry fly hook. Trouble is the dang things come in so many different color variations. Try to match the naturals with panatone pens on white float foam. Many people think a gob of yellow powerbait simulates a snail!
Who cares?
There is only one way to correctly fish the chronomid. In front of feeding fish,hanging from a strike indicator,at the correct depth. There are days the fish like it moving,but these are seldom.
If they do just twitch it an inch or so every so often, or you can put on a small splitshot and drag the fly ultraslow under the indicator on non fly only lakes.
Depth is critical as is the correct area in the lake. Generally in spring it's somewhere shoreline oriented in 3' to 12' water. Use a fishnbuddy to find the fish or go where the swallows are feeding.
Sometimes on rare occasions you will need to fish Chronomid emergers or adults, but those occasions are rare also.

#64042 - 12/26/01 03:59 PM Re: Nickname for T. Jacobs
bobbersdown Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Thanks fishnfella, I appreciate the advice. What about using an anchor for chironomids? I have heard that some people use them to keep from moving. I picked up some snail imitations at Kauffman's. I agree on the look....don't look like snails. I wonder if there are any patterns available on the web to tie on my own?

#64043 - 12/26/01 07:00 PM Re: Nickname for T. Jacobs
FishnfellaS Offline
Returning Adult

Zen, I hope PITB doesen't stand for a Jr. Member of PITA! I like to eat animals and couldn't stand to be around even a Jr. member of the "cruelty crowd".
BTW, according to your theory of "he who spends the most $$ on gear gets the bigest/most fish", I will win honors for sure next spring. I gots a new Sage SPL 489-3 4wt.,3oz. lightweight rod for Christmas. It feels more like a bamboo rod than anything I ever fished. Shopping now for a new Hightech,wide arbor reel to go with it.
I can't top your $10 fly though. Oh well, I think I can find one or two trout who are big and still have an apetite for the lowly beaded chronomid.

#64044 - 12/29/01 01:38 PM Re: Nickname for T. Jacobs
Trout Master Offline
Returning Adult

Tom how about TROUT JR. I was once a Jr. Now I'm the Master. It all started years ago on a bait barge, Well anyway I think Jr would be good for you. And FF I'm not a member of PITA. Or what ever it is. laugh

#64045 - 12/29/01 04:32 PM Re: Nickname for T. Jacobs
FishnfellaS Offline
Returning Adult

Bobbersdown: An anchor is manditory for fishing chronies on days when the wind is up. Even calm days you kinda need to stay facing your bobber with relatively straight line and that's hard to do bobbing around in a floattube. Pontoon boats or prams best for chronie fishing, but you can do it floattubing. You gotta stay at relatively same depth of lake. I anchor up and fish a full circle around my set and out 10-15' from my rod tip. If the set goes flat on me I move to a new location nearby. You'll notice after 3-5 large fish thrashing around on your line, your set kinda goes flat for a while. Best Move!

Once you get to know each lake you tend to head back to the same chronie hotspots over and over.

If at a new lake look for swallows working or other chronie fishermen, and if no activity, drag a leech or something around until you find shucks of evidence of chronie hatching. Large flats w.mud bottom at 9-15' depths are usually good chronie water. A Bathometric map will help you suspect where the chronies are on new water. Steeply sloping bottoms are often poor and hard to keep your fly 2' off the bottom where it usually should be.
If no action and waters cold go out to 20-25' with a slip bobber and fish bloodworms a foot off the bottom.

#64046 - 12/29/01 04:32 PM Re: Nickname for T. Jacobs
bobbersdown Offline
Juvenille at Sea

How's this one? Recently taken to float fishing for Steelhead. That is 'strike indicator' fishing of a more beefy nature. laugh

Still looking forward to hooking up with you guys and heading out to Nunnaly or Chopaka.

#64047 - 12/29/01 10:53 PM Re: Nickname for T. Jacobs
Trout Master Offline
Returning Adult

Nunally? Not untill March but the secret lake will be ready in mid feb. laugh

#64048 - 01/02/02 09:16 AM Re: Nickname for T. Jacobs
bobbersdown Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Yeah and if I knew where it was I would head out there to do a little C&R with ya. Since I don't know where it is and no one has been forthcoming....I'll just think on it a little more. In the mean time I am working on getting my first steelhead.

#64049 - 01/02/02 07:49 PM Re: Nickname for T. Jacobs
FishnfellaS Offline
Returning Adult

Bobberdown, float fishing for Steelies is deadly in the right water. They kill em in Canada doing that. One popular "bait" under the bobber is the PINK 6" bass worm. Thread the leader through the worm to within an inch of the bottom. Then let your #1 or #2 hook hang loose at the bottom. Deadly. Various jigs with sandshrimp are good too. They used to get them w/that on the Methow till NMFS closed it down permanently.
Another great February trout spot is O'sullivan Reservoir at the mouth of the wasteaways or East end of Lind Coulee. Big three year old hogs from Mar Dons 160,000 fish yearly planting stage there in Feb.to try to spawn in the wasteaways.

Can't divulge the location/Name of Secret lake due to blood oath and besides that Zen will hunt me down and kill me if I do.Much too small for much pressure, but the Resevoir has lots of Feb. trout and scads of room.

#64050 - 01/03/02 10:15 AM Re: Nickname for T. Jacobs
bobbersdown Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Thanks FishinfellaS. I think that I may check that action out. Having fun with the river fishing. Just bought myself a 10'6" float rod. Changing over to monofilament line as it will have less resistance on the water and see how my fishing will improve. Next on the list is a 7 to 9 wt fly rod.

#64051 - 01/03/02 11:21 AM Re: Nickname for T. Jacobs
Spawner

FishinfellaS,

You've shared more of your secret lakes with me than I have with you. I wouldn't hunt you down for "fish and tellin". I'd be more worried about you settin' your dogs out after me for letting it slip on some of the lakes you've shared with me.

Trout Apprentice is a different story. He only fishes named lakes like Lenice and Quail and doesn't search for ones on his own. I might have to take that back as he did find our secret lake by his lonesome. Later this year I will "test" him by giving him the tip on K***** Lake and seeing if he can pass the test by navigating the "secret route".

Or I could slip the word to him that the "body part lake" posted under the secret lake reports put out a 28 incher over by the waterfall the middle of last March.

Body parts??? Hmmm... knee.. elbow... lung... kidney...wonder which one it is?

signed,

pot stirrer

#64052 - 01/03/02 12:12 PM Re: Nickname for T. Jacobs
bobbersdown Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Hey P.S. (aka Zen) I don't know if I have the heart to keep up with you on all of this tricky stuff. I did want to know if you have ever fished for whitefish in some of the local rivers. Can't remember if you posted that you had or not.

See you on the lake.

#64053 - 01/03/02 01:18 PM Re: Nickname for T. Jacobs
Trout Master Offline
Returning Adult

Zen, I dont fish lenice, quail was along time ago.
And the body part lake i found out yesterday from a unknown source. We will have our day when all of us (fly people) can get toghter and have a little fish off. I hope you dont get hunted down before our lesson next week. laugh

#64054 - 01/03/02 01:46 PM Re: Nickname for T. Jacobs
Spawner

Bobbersdown,

You should try chronies and indicators sometime. It's like being a kid again and fishing for bluegills the way that little bobber..er.. indicator goes down.

Yeah, I fished some for whitefish locally. That was when I'd get bored steelheading and switch to whitefish. Eventually I just went for whities.

Back in the early 80's the Bellevue Kaufman's used to run seep lake fishing trips to your "secret lake". That was their best lake. I preferred the Hamptons and Sage lakes back then as I used to do much better there.

Not sure what's up this weekend as I may be headed out of town, but if I'm local I may try to find a spot I'd seen years before. A Soos creek bridge had lots of whities underneath. Don't know if I'd try worms... or nymphs under indicators. It was shallow enough there where nymphs and wading from shore would work. I think the bridge wasn't actually on Soos creek, but over the Green. I'd have to see if a road called soos creek crossed the green.

#64055 - 01/03/02 02:12 PM Re: Nickname for T. Jacobs
Old Man Offline
Spawner

Gentlemen. I can't get out right now so I guess I have to talk fishing. I went out this mornong and bought some flies for Steelheading. I am going to try them next week. As I can't get out till then.I'm not really equiped for them but I going to try with what I have. Biggest rod I have is a 9' Lamiglas 6wt. It's going to have to work. Because I'm to cheap to buy anything else. I caught big fish on my 5wt so a 6wt can't be that bad. I caught a 21" long steelhead on my 7'6" 4wt. I guess I'd better shut up for now. And get back to baby sitting. Jim S. cool

#64056 - 01/03/02 04:18 PM Re: Nickname for T. Jacobs
bobbersdown Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Zen - thanks for the tip. I may head out on the Green and give it a go. The area you mentioned seems to be, as I recall, the area where the silvers were being caught a couple of months ago. Yeah, should be wadeable if the water is at normal levels. Would you use a single egg pattern? I have sinking line but should I add some weight?

Jim - good luck on the steelie with the 6wt. I have a 5wt as my only fly rod and did not want to chance it. I aked about catching one on the other board and one reply came back - fish on...bzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz snap! laugh

made me laugh so hard at work everyone was looking.

Zen - that body part lake, does it get brookstock plant? Did it just last year get some Triploids?

#64057 - 01/03/02 04:51 PM Re: Nickname for T. Jacobs
Spawner

I don't think I'd try an egg pattern for whitefish. I think I'd use a regular pattern like a bead head hare's ear or prince nymph. Something smallish as in size 12 or 14 and brown, black or peacock with some sparkle.

I'd want it down and drifting along the bottom so I wouldn't hesitate to use split shot.

If you know where my secret... er.. forgotten spot is, why don't you give me a call and if I'm not hunting this weekend and we can mosey down there together. I'd have to poke around on the roads until I found this spot again.

I caught a fair amount of whitefish over in Yellowstone Park this summer but those fish were after emergers on the surface.

Don't think they planted triploids in your lake. What I think is some of them are major carryovers. A lake a mile or so to the south of your lake was putting out nice fish in March last year in the mid teens to mid 20's range. It seemed to be loaded with fish.

#64058 - 01/03/02 07:28 PM Re: Nickname for T. Jacobs
FishnfellaS Offline
Returning Adult

Zen....You're back!!! I thought maybe you took a shower in the camper and suffocated in that grabber of a plastic shower curtain.
Seriously, I know you wouldn't really hunt me down for "fishin and tellin." It was just a gut reaction cause when younger I used to kiss and tell once in a while and got in deep dodo every time.

If Troutmaster can navigate and haul ass into the K lake and still cast a fly he's both a woodsman and a Troutmaster. Tell him the location and let him try it. Everyone should experience that place once in a lifetime.

I hear he's taking tying lessons from you. Probably doesen't want to have to buy any of those $20 flies you have to keep up.

Speaking of flies, I'm tying my superscud now with Canadian seal rather than scud dubbing and it looks great. Also devised a way to fish it hanging HORIZONTAL under the bobb...er, strike indicator.
Use Partridge YK2B turned up eye scud hooks for the tie, attach your leader with a standard steelhead snell using only a few wraps, and use the "riffle hitch" to get your tippet to come out of the top of the fly head rather than out the hook eye. That suspends the scud horizontal.
Can hardly wait to see if this is gonna work on some of my Canadian "Scud Lakes".
Later, almost time for the Rose Bowl.

#64059 - 01/03/02 07:41 PM Re: Nickname for T. Jacobs
Spawner

Ron,

That's the first time I heard of using a riffle hitch on nymphs. That tip might be even better than trails to 10 "secret lakes".

Let's test your tip out in a couple of months.

You got a fly to imitate those stinkin' little #32 pin dot daphnia the fish eat in early March??

#64060 - 01/03/02 07:43 PM Re: Nickname for T. Jacobs
Spawner

Ron,

One thought. Wouldn't those flies be better tied upside down on a turned down eye hook?

That way with a riffle hitch the hookset would be pulling the hook point up. I thought it wouldn't have the right angle with a t/e eye.

Bill

#64061 - 01/04/02 01:19 PM Re: Nickname for T. Jacobs
Trout Master Offline
Returning Adult

Zen, I did find some lakes on my own. Some are even here on this side of the mountains. But then agian that was also when I had my quad to run up in the hills. I'm willing to explore some of your other spots. I'm also looking forward to meeting with you and Ron as it is a pleasure to meet people like you who are truly great fly fisherman.
It was also a pleasure to fish with Micro brew acouple times last year. This is how we learn this art. So I'm ready to learn more. So bring it on BIG guy and I'll fish what ever lake you throw at me. laugh

#64062 - 01/04/02 01:43 PM Re: Nickname for T. Jacobs
Spawner

Don't think you really want the K***** lake. Ron went to it, I know of it and don't want to go to it and don't think you want to either. You are a little to old and too smart for a trip like that.

I could send you on a trip for Twin Lake cutts that would be lots more fun. Maybe we should do a fish-in weekend at one that should be a short 1 mile hike later this year. One I have in mind is a lake up out of Darrington. Don't think I'd want to take a heavy pontoon boat into it but the lighter ones might be doable.

Also have a fun stream to fish but it wouldn't take much pressure. Has rainbows.

#64063 - 01/04/02 02:12 PM Re: Nickname for T. Jacobs
Trout Master Offline
Returning Adult

Zen, call me and tell me about this K***** lake.
Also about the one with cutts. I still have my float tube so I'm game. Yeah your right about getting old, the body doesnt like the abuse anymore,but if the fish are worth it I'm game.
The one I know about is up in the sultan basin.
I never hiked it before ,allways went on quads. Fishing was great ,almost to good for cutts. No lie 50/60 fish(8" to 16") in 3 to 4 hours. So lets talk about them. Streams I'm no good at as I dont understand how to read them yet.

#64064 - 01/04/02 03:01 PM Re: Nickname for T. Jacobs
FishnfellaS Offline
Returning Adult

Zen, I did worry what that riffle hitch is going to do for the hookset alright. Using a down eye scud hook you would need to tye w/the bend of the hook upside down in order to get the hitch in front of the hookeye so it doesen't slip off. I'm fooling around using thread/glue to stabilize the hitch too, as it's not a knot.
As used on a steelhead fly the leader comes out the side of the head and they still get a hookset out of it.
A downeye straight shank might work esp. tying the scud backwards on the shank.
The swimming scud straightens out, but the resting scud is arc shaped and I plan to fish it resting mostly. Only time will tell. I won't mind missing a few strikes if I'm getting bit a lot. laugh

#64065 - 01/04/02 03:19 PM Re: Nickname for T. Jacobs
FishnfellaS Offline
Returning Adult

Hey Zen, Watch that Troutmaster, he's buttering us up pretty good calling us "Great fly fishermen" and all that buttery crap. I think he's after some of our secrets.
Regarding the Daphnia fly, a friend of mine actually tied one. His theory (which ain't bad) is that often the daphnia school up in a dense cloud and that's when the trout gorge on them. His fly was a glob of lime green african goat dubbing (I think) with some lime green Krystalflash through it. No particular shape just a glob.
I doubted it would work so I never ask him about it.

#64066 - 01/04/02 03:29 PM Re: Nickname for T. Jacobs
Trout Master Offline
Returning Adult

Well Ok I guess I should say your a bunch of A holes, Would that get me into some good places? No I think not.So take the complements with stride and leave it at that. Wait untill we all get together at the secret lake , Then you may get called other things as well. laugh

#64067 - 01/05/02 03:06 AM Re: Nickname for T. Jacobs
Easy Limits Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Nisqually
Geeeeeez, what is with all of the "secret lake" stuff? We are all friends here! I will share mine if you share yours. Mine is on the west side of the HUMP too. :p

#64068 - 01/05/02 09:36 AM Re: Nickname for T. Jacobs
bobbersdown Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Hey Carl, I think that these guys just don't want the general populace to know that they don't really catch fish....they just like talking about it! laugh :p

#64069 - 01/05/02 10:26 AM Re: Nickname for T. Jacobs
Micro Brew Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Hey TM, how bout setting a date for this adventure? February is geting close....Give me a call.

#64070 - 01/05/02 12:59 PM Re: Nickname for T. Jacobs
Trout Master Offline
Returning Adult

Scott, welcome back! I havent a date yet to give you. But you will be told for sure. Jose is game for this adventure , are your friends? How was your vacation? Sorry Carl I cant mention where this secret lake is. As Zen mentioned I found it on my own. As did Micro Brew. Zen and Fishinfella are good hunters and will hunt anyone down who gives up the location or name. Sorry. laugh

#64071 - 01/05/02 03:10 PM Re: Nickname for T. Jacobs
FishnfellaS Offline
Returning Adult

Hey TM, I waz just teasing about the sugary names thing. You can call us whatever names you want good or bad,Zen and I are both old enough we've been called that before.

I think we better quiet down about the Secret Lake though, we're generating too much interest. I'd hate to see it looking like Chopaka on a weekend morning......It's pretty small,Zoweeeee,watch that backcast!!!

Did Zen tell you about the K*****lake? It's so remote and damn steep and nasty w/no trail and a cliff to go up you probably wouldn't like it anyhow.

Looks like ice will not be an issue this spring. Give me an E-mail when you guys set a date for the first outing and I'll try to work it into my busy Feb. schedule. laugh

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Skate
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
1 registered (Carcassman), 1444 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63779 Topics
645378 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |