LURECHARGE!

THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#641348 - 12/07/10 02:47 PM FR - Sorta What's this and will it poison my dog?
Dave Vedder Offline
Reverend Tarpones

Loc: West Duvall
Tye ate a few of these today while I was fishing on the Snoqualmie .Don't know how many. Don't know for sure if they are poisonous? Any ideas?

#641352 - 12/07/10 03:00 PM Re: FR - Sorta What's this and will it poison my dog? [Re: Dave Vedder]
Waterboy Offline
Returning Adult

Looks like snowberry (Symphoricarpos albus). Native shrub around these parts. Good winter feed for birds as the berries stay on long after the leaves fall off. I doubt it would be harmful to a dog.

Update, maybe it would be harmful to a dog if he ate enough. From the Seattle Times:
The round, white berries on the common snowberry (Symphoricarpos alba) have saponins in them, which are toxic but poorly absorbed by the body and tend to pass through and cause little harm. Saponins are found in some kinds of beans and other plants we eat regularly.

The general consensus seems to be that a person would need to eat a lot of snowberries to have a toxic effect. But since these berries are so showy and attractive after the leaves fall, you may want to wait to plant snowberries until your daughter is a little older.

Oddly, birds eat snowberries with no ill effects, yet Native Americans used to put large quantities of these berries into streams to kill the fish which can't tolerate them. Local tribes also used snowberries as an external salve to cleanse and heal the skin.

Edited by Waterboy (12/07/10 03:10 PM)

#641359 - 12/07/10 03:12 PM Re: FR - Sorta What's this and will it poison my dog? [Re: Waterboy]
BentRod II Offline
Egg

Loc: Issaquah
Agreed that they look like Snowberry. Good info from waterboy, but I'd also call the vet and ask for an opinion.

#641389 - 12/07/10 03:53 PM Re: FR - Sorta What's this and will it poison my dog? [Re: BentRod II]
Dave Vedder Offline
Reverend Tarpones

Called the Vet. She said to watch him for lethargy and nausea. If no symptoms no problem.

#641392 - 12/07/10 04:02 PM Re: FR - Sorta What's this and will it poison my dog? [Re: Dave Vedder]
sidewinder Offline
Fry

Loc: bothell
Those are snowberries. Grouse luv um.

I'd call more vets. They should be able to answer your question. Yours did not.Thats like saying watch him, and if he dies. He is dead. Not trying to scare ya. But that isn't much of a answer.

#641394 - 12/07/10 04:11 PM Re: FR - Sorta What's this and will it poison my dog? [Re: sidewinder]
BentRod II Offline
Egg

Loc: Issaquah
I didn't see anything that shows them to be highly toxic. Sounds like your dog would have had to ingest a whole lot of them to have any negative effects. According to the literature, at most it seems he'd be nauseous and lethargic.

#641412 - 12/07/10 05:01 PM Re: FR - Sorta What's this and will it poison my dog? [Re: BentRod II]
Dave Vedder Offline
Reverend Tarpones

I have doen a lot of Internet research and agree that a dog would need to eat a lot to be in serious trouble. I dont know how many he ate, but it couldn't have been more than a few.

I will keep an eye on him today and quit worrying if hes okay in the AM.

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
3Gonads, herm
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1083 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13520
eyeFISH 12766
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63773 Topics
645291 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |