Three Rivers Marine

Page 6 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#64257 - 02/14/02 11:48 PM Re: Green Bums
F F F Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Kent
Yes, since early December. Same as last year. Most of my fish had been nats. This year it's been 50-50. I hooked 2 nates on back to back days fishing jigs for Chum. That was sweet.

#64258 - 03/03/02 02:56 AM Re: Green Bums
F F F Offline
Returning Adult

Me and my fishin buddy went up high again on the Green. No one in sight, no wind and clear sunny skys. The water was crystal clear with a med/low flow. We drifted eggs, shrimp,and yellow,orange,pink,white jigs for almost 3 hours with nothing. I changed leader weight and color and tied on a tiny 1/32oz jig. Fourth cast in the same spot i had fished for a good hour and whammo. A beautiful 12+lb Nate chomped it. A nice battle and a few pics and i let her go. Saaawweeeeeet. Only a few days left in the season, time to skip work for some big Nates. laugh I have pics of a few of them at [url=Http://hometown.aol.com/NWNatives][url=Http://hometown.aol.com/NWNatives][url=Http://hometown.aol.com/NWNatives]Http://hometown.aol.com/NWNatives[/url][/url][/url]

#64259 - 03/03/02 11:17 PM Re: Green Bums
Mike C Offline

Loc: Redmond
Hey FFF, thanks for the link on your site smile
Be sure to add your site to the Readers Links section.

#64260 - 03/06/02 08:19 PM Re: Green Bums
F F F Offline
Returning Adult

No problem Mike. I finally got those pics up of that nice nate from saturday. Went up yesterday, no wind but it did rain,snow,sleet, and ice pellet my azz for a good 3 hours and i loved every bit of it. laugh Most of it was light though and not a soul in site. The water was a tad lower and just as clear. Saw lots of fish surprizingly, but none of them or any others wanted to smile for the camera. Hope this rain/snow thing holds off to a minimum.

#64261 - 03/07/02 12:10 PM Re: Green Bums
Zen Leecher aka Bill W Offline
Spawner

Loc: Moses Lake
I see this topic is on large chums over 20 pounds.

I managed to catch a couple of chums in saltwater on fly gear that were larger than the state record at the time. Caught some that were pushing 23 pounds and back then the saltwater record was 14 pounds. Didn't find out until a couple of months afterwards that the record was that low.

Key thing to handling big chums is use a rod at least a 7 weight... 8 is preferrable and also use a good drag. I ended up using an SA 2 just for the drag.

One of the biggies I hooked, but didn't land, took the whole fly line out... an additional 100 yards of backing before I got it stopped... and then was showing major signs of taking even more backing out. I broke it off at that point. That time I was using a big Pfleuger reel... and switched to the SA the next trip as the Pfleuger drag wasn't up to the task. I had that puppy screwed down all the way.. and still needed more. SA.. you can tighten them up enough to where it can break the tippet.

#64262 - 03/07/02 01:24 PM Re: Green Bums
Easy Limits Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Nisqually
I saw guys over at Hood Canal fly fishing for Chums. I could not believe it, looked like a lot of fun. I was having a hard time taming those beast with a spinning rod. I could not imagine using a fly rod. eek

#64263 - 03/09/02 10:57 AM Re: Green Bums
F F F Offline
Returning Adult

Hey Zen, thinking about those powerhouses on a fly makes my mouth water. laugh That would kickass. Just green yarn? Gotta be something different than yarn. This thread originally started out as chum but has kinda turned toward steelhead since people have asked how the Green has been for chromies. Or i'm really just a lone poster on a thread that was dead 2 months ago. SO Zen, if you throw the long rod as steelhead, what choice of fly would you pick? Riverwise, i feel naked without a muddler, but i have never hooked a chromie on the fly. And catching them on eggs and jigs isn't much of a challenge anymore. Can ya help? I tied up a few purple/purpleblack flies on 6 and 4 hooks, but have yet to use them. Any suggestions on color and size would be great. Also, would you suggest putting eyes on my flies like for Salmon? Any help would be great.

#64264 - 03/11/02 11:53 AM Re: Green Bums
Zen Leecher aka Bill W Offline
Spawner

Loc: Moses Lake
Lime green chum candies work best on the 34007 hooks. They're tough enough to where they won't bend on you.

Check your email for a longer response.

#64265 - 03/13/02 04:41 PM Re: Green Bums
F F F Offline
Returning Adult

[img]http://hometown.aol.com/NWNatives2/D12lbSteelGRK.html[/img]

just seeing how this turns out

#64266 - 03/14/02 01:53 AM Re: Green Bums
F F F Offline
Returning Adult

Thanks Zen, i look forward to it later this year. I may have to upgrade my 6wt, it's a stiff 6 but not that stiff. oooooooooohhhhhhmmmmmmm

Page 6 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Dick laxton, Lil Blue Sled, Lil Red Sled, Solash, The Moderator, WeServe
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1338 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63779 Topics
645377 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |