THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Page 5 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#643956 - 12/13/10 01:14 PM Re: Incredible, edible bead [Re: AP a.k.a. Kaiser D]
Salmo g. Offline
River Nutrients

SciGuy,

Yeah, about like that, or maybe different. As tradition has given in to innovation, or subversion as some prefer, I decided that fly fishing is anything anyone wants to call it. Because how other people choose to fish is of no matter to me. However, if I see someone with a spinning or baitcasting reel on the NF Stilly in the summer, I'll call on that because WDFW has a legal definition of fly fishing for waters designated as fly fishing only. And since the legal definition has changed over time, it carries less meaning than it once did as the "true" definition of fly fishing.

The true definition has to be philosophical in nature, since the law of the state has shown it can be subverted by the whimsy of political will. A few years back, in a moment of elitist inebriation, I determined that "true" fly fishing consist of, and only of, fishing with fly rods made of split cane, reels made in England, line made of silk (or horsehair for the purists), leaders of gut, and flies dressed only with natural materials, no synthetic fibers or mylar tinsel. And obviously no split shot or dumbell eyes; sorry Clouser fans. Anyone deviating from "true" fly fishing is just another bait chucking subversive using carbon fiber rods, anodized aluminum reels machined initially in the US, but now mostly in Asia, plastic lines, nylon and flourocarbon leader materials, not to mention many forms of metallic adornment to both flies, leaders, and even lines, like those labeled "T" as in T-8, T-11, or T-14, with the T representing tungsten, one of the heavier metals around that isn't radio-active. It's subversion, all of it!

Oh, and it helps if you're wearing a genuine Donegal houndstooth tweed jacket for fishing while you're at it.

Now that we've determined that there isn't a "true" fly fisherman remaining anywhere on the planet, I trust we're all free to carry on and fish as we like, and call it whatever we wish, so long as we keep it legal, since we've clearly forsaken any allegiance to a natural higher law of fly fishing.

AP,

There are several of those xtranormal cartoon about fishing, bait v fly, swing v nymph, and funny, at least for open-minded folks.

Todd,

See you this afternoon.

Sg

#643958 - 12/13/10 01:19 PM Re: Incredible, edible bead [Re: ]
AP a.k.a. Kaiser D Offline
Hippie

Loc: B'ham
Originally Posted By: Kanektok Kid
A bead has 'natural' action ?

The ones that catch fish do. The bead itself doesn't truly have an "action" but in its path down the river, it sure as hell better seem natural.

Coley mentioned it already but, as a watcher, one of the keys to me seems to be the micro-currents mentioned earlier. The bead is one of the only techniques that can get completely pushed into the natural micro-currents and seams. Hence, the importance of its neutral bouyancy. Seems like the bead needs to be put in the right spot and then be allowed to find an even "more right" spot. I always think of the Sol Duc when it comes to this as we found numerous fish dropped into those boulder slots. The best way to get a hook in front of them is to allow the hook to wash its own way in there.

As Coley mentioned, with regard to the length of dead-drifting that can be done before another mend is required, a super-long single drift isn't necessarily required. All you really need is the dead-drift for the right 10 foot section(s) of water. You could make 1 cast, where you distrurb the natural drift of the bead 6 times, and still very effectively work the water. You can drag the line back up and then let it dead drift for another 15 feet, effectively working a different slot that what was worked 30 seconds before. I see this a lot with successful float fishermen, where they don't necessarily reel in and recast but will, instead, reel the float partially in and then allow it to take another pass down a fishy stretch. With the bead, you need to give it a few seconds and a few linear river feet to get down and start allowing it to find its own course.

-AP

#644062 - 12/13/10 05:40 PM Re: Incredible, edible bead [Re: Todd]
bankbum Offline
Spawner

very interesting discussion.

i have fly fished a bit...to me fly fishing is not about what is on the end of your line. but about the art of casting and pressenting your "fly" to the fish you are targeting.

but after this discussion it makes me look more into what fly fishing truly is.

#644125 - 12/13/10 09:45 PM Re: Incredible, edible bead [Re: bankbum]
SRoffe Offline
Spawner

SG,

This is as close to a true fly fisher I could find...

Edited by Sam Roffe (12/13/10 09:46 PM)

#644128 - 12/13/10 09:51 PM Re: Incredible, edible bead [Re: SRoffe]
ColeyG Offline
Ranger Danger

Loc: AK
KK's younger days.

EZ Thread Yarn Balls

"I don't care how you catch them, as long as you treat them well and with respect." Lani Waller in "A Steelheader's Way."

#644163 - 12/13/10 10:49 PM Re: Incredible, edible bead [Re: OPfisher]
The Catcherman Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Ellensburg, WA
Originally Posted By: OPfisher
Originally Posted By: Todd
OP, in case you didn't get it the first few times I said it, I have no problem with bead fishing...it's legal, it's legit, and it's productive as hell...so no worries there. It's just not flyfishing, there's more to it than just using a flyrod to deliver the goods.

toff, define fly fishing then? Cause I fairly sure I could rig a gear rod and fly fish with it. so is it no longer considered gear fishing then?
like I said, call it what ever you feel like at the end of the day so you're happy smile

After a quick glance at the posts, I didn't see a definition posted by anyone to answer your question so I'll take a stab. The way I see it, there is an official definition per the WA regulations booklet. Bascially you need to have a fly line, certain reel, and certain amout of leader for it to be "fly fishing". In AK I believe all you need is a fly, which can be cast on a spinning rod. In OR, I don't believe you can use bobbers at certain times locations and no lead on the leader (same as WA but you can have lead as part of the "fly" design. OR and BC have/had a rule about floating lines only. The point is the official definition of fly fishing can and will change as the values of the anglers change.

Regardless of all that BS above, Todd and others are simply stating that regardless of what the official definition of fly fishing is in any particular area, fishing with beads, jigs, and bobbers is not fly fishing in the traditional sense as far as they are concerned. But if you or anybody else wants to consider it fly fishing, you are entitled to your opinion. But be prepared for some rolled eyes if you say you caught fish while "fly fishing" beads as others definition will certainly be different than yours.

After the next SCPAG meeting, perhaps I'll plan on hanging around for for some post meeting activities.

#644187 - 12/13/10 11:57 PM Re: Incredible, edible bead [Re: ]
summerrun Offline
Dude, where's my boat?

Loc: Seattle
Just got a sick bamboo rod today...gonna find me an old school reel and me n OPeee r gonna Bamboo UP some beads!!!

#644301 - 12/14/10 12:33 PM Re: Incredible, edible bead [Re: SRoffe]
SciGuy Offline
Superstar in diapers

Loc: B.I.
Originally Posted By: Sam Roffe
SG,

This is as close to a true fly fisher I could find...

Great. Thanks clearing the matter up. Its a good thing too because I look exactly like that guy when I'm on the water...with the only exceptions being that I don't wear a tie or blazer, I prefer a single-handed rod, my hat and waders are smeared with a fine vintage of blood and egg goo, I have a three day old beard, my eyes are bloodshot from staying up until 3 a.m. drinking single malt, and there is copenhagen spit dripping off my chin. Besides that, I'm a dead ringer for the guy in the photo.

Put 'em back.

#644315 - 12/14/10 01:24 PM Re: Incredible, edible bead [Re: SciGuy]
Salmo g. Offline
River Nutrients

Sam,

Although he is dressed in the garb of a "true" fly fisherman, and his reel appears English made, note that his carbon fiber rod and plastic fly rod reveal that he's really just another bait-chucking subversive, like the rest of us.

Dave,

I'm disappointed you over-looked my definitive definition of fly fishing. Whatsa' matter, too "elite" for ya'?

Summerrun,

What grasstick did you get, labeled, unlabeled? What do you think of it? Oh, I guess I see, it's bead suitable; hope you didn't pay too much for it then.

SciGuy,

I look just like that guy too, only I wear an ascot instead of a neck tie and Maui Jims to protect my eyes from sun (what sun?) and errant casts.

Sg

#644335 - 12/14/10 03:05 PM Re: Incredible, edible bead [Re: Salmo g.]
summerrun Offline
Dude, where's my boat?

SG...actually it is reserved only for dry fly fishing. It would be blasphemous to even put a sink tip on it!! Unlabled, mint condition, 9'er...shopping ebay now for a suitable reel;)

#644434 - 12/14/10 06:25 PM Re: Incredible, edible bead [Re: summerrun]
Salmo g. Offline
River Nutrients

SR,

What line weight?

Sg

#644481 - 12/14/10 08:38 PM Re: Incredible, edible bead [Re: Salmo g.]
summerrun Offline
Dude, where's my boat?

Need to test a few lines but plan on fishing it as 5/6...sorry for the thread jack.

BEADS RULE!

#644482 - 12/14/10 08:41 PM Re: Incredible, edible bead [Re: summerrun]
SRoffe Offline
Spawner

SG,

Sorry, I couldn't do better. I knew the graphite rod was going to get me a few points knocked off.

Line weight? Gee, I would have guessed about 6 or 7 wt, maybe 8.

What seemed really odd that made me think the guy is full fledged model posing in the middle of the river is they way the line is hanging off the reel. Doesn't quite look right to me.

#644491 - 12/14/10 09:00 PM Re: Incredible, edible bead [Re: ]
summerrun Offline
Dude, where's my boat?

You know KK, I am not sure...for a 9fter I would love to fish it heavier ie 7/8wt but as its unmarked I am not sure. 7 min left on my ebay auction for a SWEET old reel to pair up w it but I will take you up on that offer as I would like to know the history...its not a $1000 rod but its cherry, was priced great and its mine!

Thread Jack ##3....BEADS RULE!!

#644497 - 12/14/10 09:11 PM Re: Incredible, edible bead [Re: ]
summerrun Offline
Dude, where's my boat?

Did not get this to be the smoothest rod I have ever casted, just goin back to the days when flyfishing was a simple sport;) Scored that sick reel so I am jacked #4...BEADS!!

#644500 - 12/14/10 09:22 PM Re: Incredible, edible bead [Re: ]
summerrun Offline
Dude, where's my boat?

I got a goat sticker in ur honor instead...been trying to make good on our bet but you wont even meet up for a beer you biatch.

BEADS

#644602 - 12/15/10 01:15 AM Re: Incredible, edible bead [Re: ]
Capt Downriggin' Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Rogue River
All this talk about beads... If it has feathers and fur it's fly fishing! Apologize for the picture quality... dang camera hasn't worked right since I dropped it (no wonder).

I am sure you've heard about the Egg Sucking Leech.. How about an Egg Crappin' Leech?

#644618 - 12/15/10 03:11 AM Re: Incredible, edible bead [Re: Capt Downriggin']
ColeyG Offline
Ranger Danger

Loc: AK
Nice dingle berries.

EZ Thread Yarn Balls

"I don't care how you catch them, as long as you treat them well and with respect." Lani Waller in "A Steelheader's Way."

#644645 - 12/15/10 10:58 AM Re: Incredible, edible bead [Re: Capt Downriggin']
SkykomishSunrise Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Originally Posted By: Capt Downriggin'

Fly recipe please! (I think that I recognize most of the materials.)

Bill McMillan

#644730 - 12/15/10 03:04 PM Re: Incredible, edible bead [Re: SkykomishSunrise]
Capt Downriggin' Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Rogue River
Recipe:

Hook: Size 1 Gammy looped on to 40# Fireline. The tied on to a 35mm Waddington shank. 8mm Trout Bead (color of choice)

Body: Hot pink halographic tinsel. small ball of Fl Pink UV dubbing

Collor/wing: Hot pink Finn Raccoon tied in a dubbing loop and wound (3 or 4-turns followed by 2- turns of marabou

Eyes: I-balz

Head: 50/50 mix of STS Trilobal/Ice Dub

Have fun! The color combinations are endless, but blue is a great color in "glacier waters."

Page 5 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
CHUBS
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 939 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13521
eyeFISH 12766
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63773 Topics
645302 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |