Three Rivers Marine

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#64433 - 01/09/02 10:01 AM carp fishing
ROCKFISH Offline
Spawner

Loc: manchester,Wa
is there any decent carp fishing around washington, and can you catch them this time of year. thanks Ben

#64434 - 01/09/02 11:28 AM Re: carp fishing
HBP Offline
Spawner

Loc: Everett,Wa
Potholes resevoir and Moses lake in eastern WA. are loaded with carp nobody really targets them but I've caught most of mine accidendtly in late spring and summer

- no boss, no clock, no stress, no dress code...no shoes,no shirts, no problems. - Kenny Chesney -

#64435 - 01/09/02 01:34 PM Re: carp fishing
Easy Limits Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Nisqually
I can remeber when I was a kid seeing huge carp around Queen City Yacht Club on Lake Union (right across from Seattle Yacht Club).
Also, Banks Lake east of the HUMP has rather large carp. wink

#64436 - 01/09/02 07:05 PM Re: carp fishing
Mike C Offline

Loc: Redmond
They target them in Green Lake in Seattle. I used to love catching carp on dough balls in my youth. Had one break my rod once. That was fun!

#64437 - 01/09/02 08:52 PM Re: carp fishing
Trout Master Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Edmonds
A couple years ago I caught them at the water ski lake across from Nunally. I was targeting the trout in there when a really big nasty one took my fly. Pulled me around in my float tube for awhile. They are in lower crab creek also. I hear they are big time game fish in England.
TallyHo! laugh

#64438 - 01/11/02 04:09 PM Re: carp fishing
sinker Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Puyallup, WA
As far as Green Lake goes, I'd leave them alone. They are a hybrid put in there to eat all the weeds that take over the lake every summer.

They're eating the weeds so you can continue to trout fish in there.

#64439 - 01/11/02 05:32 PM Re: carp fishing
Stevenbhow Offline
Parr

Banks Lake near Coulee City is supposed to be good for big carp. I've caught them on big deer hair mice on the North End of the lake in the spring in summer.
-Steve

#64440 - 01/11/02 05:33 PM Re: carp fishing
Dogfish Offline
Poodle Smolt

Loc: McCleary, WA
I know of a kid's fishing lake in near me that has them, but I have never been able to figure out what to get them on. Saw one hog gulping air(?) that easily could have gone 20 lbs. I can just imagine what my 5 year old would do if he hooked into one.

They call me POODLE SMOLT!

The Discover Pass is brought to you by your friends at the CCA.

#64441 - 01/11/02 08:47 PM Re: carp fishing
Mike C Offline

Regardingv Green lake, I believe there are actually two species of carp in there. The ones that grow big (common carp) and grass carp, which were planted to help reduce the weed problem. I believe they feed pretty much on just the grass and weeds in the lake. I think the grass carp were planted 1-2 years ago. I could be all wet on this, so best to check with WDFW to be sure. (in fact maybe I'll just do that, gotta earn my keep around here. smile

#64442 - 01/11/02 09:14 PM Re: carp fishing
Mike C Offline

Here's the carp info straight from WDFW: I didn't find the part about the grass carp, but this does clarify the common carp question:
"Further exacerbating these water quality problems, a large population of common carp has expanded unchecked in the lake and now dominates the biomass of the fish community, reducing resources for more desirable species such as trout, bass, and catfish. Common carp stir the sediments extensively through their foraging activities and resuspend the phosphorus. This behavior combined with the excretions of these fish is thought significantly diminish water quality. Furthermore, because of their rapid growth, Green Lake common carp rapidly reach sizes that make them invulnerable to the lake's resident predators."
I've e-mailed WDFW to get more info on the grass vs. common carp issue. As far as catching common carp - dough balls or yellow corn are all you need, slip weight on the bottom. Hang on if you hook a 20 pounder!

#64443 - 01/12/02 09:48 PM Re: carp fishing
BASSER Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Tacoma Wa,
Long lake down by olyimpia has monster carp in it I dont know if they are grass carp or not but there is a lot of grass in the lake.
I was bass fishing and they kept scaring the carp out of me. They kept popping up close to my boat eek
I caught a 20 lbs carp out of the cowlitz.
every morning they would be sunning themself in the slack water.

#64444 - 01/14/02 05:09 PM Re: carp fishing
Old Man Offline
Spawner

Loc: Silver Star,Mt
Mike, I just read page 58 of the "regs" and it says the there is no season on Grass Carp. Jim S. wink

#64445 - 01/14/02 11:41 PM Re: carp fishing
Mike C Offline

Here is the reply I received from WDFW:
------------------------------------------------
Dear Mr. Carey:

Thank you for your e-mail correspondence to the Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife (WDFW) Fish Program.

Both grass and common carp reside within Green Lake. Common carp were probably first observed in Green Lake somewhere between the late 1940's to the early 1960's and have been present (and very prevalent) since. Grass carp, a recent introduction, were stocked into the lake in 2001 to control severe infestations of Eurasian water milfoil.

Presently, anglers may fish for common carp in Green Lake. There is no bag or size limits for common carp and at present, no licenses are required either. In Washington, it is illegal to possess a grass carp. If an angler happens to catch a grass carp it must be released back into the lake immediately.

Common and grass carp can be differentiated from each other by several physical characteristics. These include the following:

Common Carp: stocky and laterally compressed, suction-type mouth with barbels (whiskers), very large diamond-shaped scales (however, some individuals may have scattered scales [mirror carp] or have no scales [leather carp]), coloration is brownish-orange (in general).

Grass Carp: longer and more slender (but still robust) than common carp, their mouth is closer to a trout's (no whiskers though), they have very rigid jaws used to grasp and tear aquatic vegetation, they are grayish-white in appearance, and have large diamond-shaped scales (grass carp do not have a mirror or leather form), all grass carp stocked into Washington waters (as well as most other states) are sterile.

I hope this answers you and your reader's questions. If you have any other questions feel free to contact me either by e-mail or phone.

Sincerely,

Chad Jackson
Area Inland Fish Biologist
425-775-1311, ext. 113

#64446 - 01/15/02 10:42 AM Re: carp fishing
ROCKFISH Offline
Spawner

Loc: manchester,Wa
thanks for the info, I really want to check it out in the spring time, they sound like a blast to catch. Ben

#64447 - 01/17/02 02:51 AM Re: carp fishing
Jigger Offline
Egg

Loc: Port Angeles Wa.
Years ago I shot 4 carp in Sprague lake with bow and arrow that weighed 111 lbs. Its still full of carp. Also try tench fishing. They look like a carp, fight like a carp, and are real easy to catch. Fishing Walleye we caught 5 before we got one small enough for the cooler. All at Sprague lake. If you don't keep them, kill them because they really mess up spawning beds. The State should have a bounty on them like Squaw fish.

#64448 - 01/17/02 10:50 PM Re: carp fishing
ltlCLEO Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: brownsville wa.
I got into some on the wynoch that were hitting my spoons!It was around middle of jully,They were all females with mature roe.I was camped and cooked them up for the fun of it.Not that bad but I wouldn.t say they were great.They actually fought pretty good!Funky looking fish!

#64449 - 01/20/02 02:56 AM Re: carp fishing
Chromeo Offline
Spawner

Loc: Kenmore, WA
what the hell is a tench?
tyler

#64450 - 01/26/02 06:03 PM Re: carp fishing
Fishalot Offline
Parr

Loc: Portland, Oregon
I like shooting them with a bow and arrow, they make good fertilizer and dimond side bait. I have done this mostly in Oregon.

Fishalot rolleyes

#64451 - 01/26/02 11:47 PM Re: carp fishing
Eddie L Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Seattle,Wa
Greenlake carp,grass carp and tiger muskies

tench

record grass carp

[ 01-26-2002: Message edited by: Eddie L ]

#64452 - 01/27/02 03:13 AM Re: carp fishing
Metalhead Mojo Offline
Spawner

Loc: Browns Point
are there any tench in WA state waters?? ive never seen or heard about them being caught here before.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
crappieking, steelheadpimpjuice
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
1 registered (1 invisible), 629 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14489
Salmo g. 13526
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63783 Topics
645419 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |