THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#64464 - 01/10/02 03:02 PM New State Record Mackinaw!
Easy Limits Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Nisqually
Hey guys, check Thurs. Seattle Times fishing report. There is a great pix of the new state record Mackinaw caught out of Lake Chelan. eek

#64465 - 01/10/02 03:04 PM Re: New State Record Mackinaw!
Trout Master Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Edmonds
Saw it this morning ,looks like me acouple years ago when I was really fat, but only this has fins and gills . I dont! Nice fish though. But I bet Zen has caught and released rainbows that big. laugh

#64466 - 01/10/02 04:01 PM Re: New State Record Mackinaw!
bobbersdown Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Bellevue Washington
Been with Zen, probably caught Whitefish that big on the Green years ago at some bridge that may not be there any more.

That mack was a hog! Fishing that low though, don't you think that as it was brought up the swim bladder would expand? Happened to me fishing for macks on Lake Tahoe. beautiful fish though. Would love to get one like that. Any idea on how long it takes to get to that size?

#64467 - 01/10/02 04:10 PM Re: New State Record Mackinaw!
Zen Leecher aka Bill W Offline
Spawner

Loc: Moses Lake
Both them Jacob's boys are picking on me.

Why is that? Am I that easy of a target?

One picks on me because I wanted to sell him overpriced flies, the other because I couldn't find some bridge and later discovered it had been rebuilt.

#64468 - 01/10/02 04:57 PM Re: New State Record Mackinaw!
Trout Master Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Edmonds
So bobbersdown is Thomas Jacobs huh! Zenbbo not picking on you, I just figured you have caught rainbows that big. Thats all. laugh

#64469 - 01/10/02 05:04 PM Re: New State Record Mackinaw!
Easy Limits Offline
River Nutrients

Hey guys, there are other lakes in this state that have Mack's in them and some of the Mack's are almost as big as the ones in Chelan and not as far to drive. I will let you guys figure out which lakes have them. laugh

#64470 - 01/10/02 05:22 PM Re: New State Record Mackinaw!
Zen Leecher aka Bill W Offline
Spawner

Loc: Moses Lake
Carl,

Unless those lakers come up on the surface and take flies I'm not interested.

Just say no to bait (and plugs)

#64471 - 01/10/02 05:49 PM Re: New State Record Mackinaw!
Easy Limits Offline
River Nutrients

ZL, you gotta go deep, real deep for these bad boyz. I am talking over 100'. I have not tried to use a fly off of a down rigger. Hmmmmmmmm.... I guess when they spawn they will come to the surface and that is the only time. Fishing for them is like fishing for Chinook in the salt but you are in fresh water.

GOING DOWN!! eek

#64472 - 01/10/02 07:37 PM Re: New State Record Mackinaw!
F F F Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Kent
HA! It's funny that you mentioned downrigging a fly. My G/F bought me a good fly tying kit and since Christmas, all i have been doing is tieing Mack flies. Specially tied for the secret Mack lake come spring time. Carl, Mike, ya better not tell anyone about it either, or else, i mean please... I've been drooling on my self remembering the good fishing trying to hold back the urge to go brave the snow and boat some fatties. I guess steelhead(ho hum) will just have to do for now. laugh

#64473 - 01/10/02 08:20 PM Re: New State Record Mackinaw!
Mike C Offline

Loc: Redmond
I'm sworn to secrecy and hoping I can find time to try those lakes later this year. Maybe we can connect this spring FFF?
That was one fat fish in the Times today. I'll bet the layer of fat was an inch thick easy on that fish.

#64474 - 01/10/02 09:56 PM Re: New State Record Mackinaw!
Old Man Offline
Spawner

Loc: Silver Star,Mt
THere's one real close to me,but you have to hike to get to it and my knees are shot. Besides it's all up hill. And I don't think you could get a boat in there. Jim S. :p

#64475 - 01/10/02 10:30 PM Re: New State Record Mackinaw!
Easy Limits Offline
River Nutrients

Mike, FFF, we can have a threesome. Question is who's boat? Probably not mine, it is the smaller of the three. We can solo it also. Get more water covered that way. cool

#64476 - 01/11/02 12:49 AM Re: New State Record Mackinaw!
F F F Offline
Returning Adult

Mike, Carl, that sounds like a great idea. I got new scotty electrics just for the occasion, well salmon also. The itch for Macks is very unique.I guess it's due to the possibilities that are in that lake, and the variety of "color moods" along with migration patterns the fish have. Finding them is half the science/fun/skill of a sucessfull day. I swear i have bought 40 or more spoons(way out of controll!) just for Macks since last spring after our first trip there. Mike, did you ever get a chance to fish it last year? It was pretty darn good considering how much the lake levels changed due to the drought conditions. Can't wait till March. Anyone ever heard of poor man's lobster?

#64477 - 01/11/02 11:48 AM Re: New State Record Mackinaw!
bobbersdown Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Bellevue Washington
FFF You are referring to Monk fish. Have had it before at a restaurant and it is really good. Very close to Lobster. That salmon throwin outfit at Pike's Market ususally has some on display that they like to scare custers with. It is one ugly fish.

Zen not picking on you - honest - just trying to imitate T.M. laugh After all, you had a hard time keeping us Jacobs straight - hmmmmmm maybe if I changed my name to Oncorhynchus mykiss Master????

#64478 - 01/11/02 12:12 PM Re: New State Record Mackinaw!
Old Man Offline
Spawner

Loc: Silver Star,Mt
Bobbersdown,I think that name is taken. I've seen it some where before. Jim S. smile

#64479 - 01/11/02 02:54 PM Re: New State Record Mackinaw!
F F F Offline
Returning Adult

BobbersDown, actually i am refering to a new(to me) recipe for Mackinaw i learned of this august that i picked up in Montana. Thought maybe other people have used this cooking technique on Macks. Macks seem extremely fishy to me. 3x the taste of Salmon. Not better or worse, just strong. First time i tried it i hated it. But cooked with this poor mans' recipe i feel the species may be in danger now. It tastes exactally like lobster! I rarely eat fish, letalone keep them, but, 1 mid sized Mack every few months is something to look forward to with this recipe. Anyone?

#64480 - 01/11/02 08:53 PM Re: New State Record Mackinaw!
Mike C Offline

FFF and Carl, lets do it in March! Carl's seen my boat, 15ft and I have two manual riggers, so maybe FFF your boat would be best. Those scooty electrics are great, I have one on my sound boat. Of course I will contribute to expenses. Shoot me an e-mail FFF and Carl so we can get planning. I never did get out there last year as the pinks came to town and from there on it was salmon salmon salmon.Fish On!

[ 01-11-2002: Message edited by: MikeC ]

#64481 - 01/11/02 09:28 PM Re: New State Record Mackinaw!
F F F Offline
Returning Adult

Well how big is your Sound boat Mike? I only have a 16' smokercraft but will work fine with 3 people, carl will just have to sit on you lap. LOL Anyways, lookin forward to it.

#64482 - 01/11/02 09:51 PM Re: New State Record Mackinaw!
Easy Limits Offline
River Nutrients

FFF, just for reference, my boat is 14' and the Coast Guard tag says 5 PERSONS MAX. laugh Believe it when I tell you I have had 5 people in my boat too. Granted it was not with the gas motor but it was in salt water off of Kayak Point, we were crabbing. Just working my electric motor! eek

I have complete confidence in my equipment!

If all three of us "do it" in one boat we should do FFF's rig.

We can solo boat it too.

#64483 - 01/12/02 07:16 PM Re: New State Record Mackinaw!
Mike C Offline

My fiberglass boat is an 18 ft Seaswirl. I have one electric and one manual downrigger on it. Unfortunately my trolling motor died and until I sell my truck all I have is an underpowered electric trolling motor (would be OK for my aluminum tin can but I doubt it could push the bigger boat). The other concern I have is the launch for a bigger boat. No worries about getting stuck now that I have a 4 wheel drive truck, but what is the launch area like? I think FFF's boat would be best unless you want to slap a trolling motor on my seaswirl (assuming the launch is OK). We could go separate but to me it makes more sense to use one boat.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
crappieking, steelheadpimpjuice
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
1 registered (1 invisible), 1216 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14489
Salmo g. 13526
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63783 Topics
645418 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |