Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#64500 - 01/14/02 12:10 PM Fishing guide
Banock Offline
Parr

Loc: Oakville, Wa.
Mike,
I am contemplating starting a new guide service on selected lakes within Thurstin, Mason, Lewis and Grays Harbor counties. There seems to be a great number of folks out there that do not have a boat and this seems like a service that might be used. What do you think about the idea? This would be mainly for rainbows and triploids.

#64501 - 01/14/02 05:21 PM Re: Fishing guide
Mike C Offline

Loc: Redmond
Banock,
First, I'm flattered you would ask my opinion. I'm not a guide and about the only expertese I can claim to is I've gone out a few times with guides. So just my observations, and maybe some fellow readers can give theirs.
Number one, I hope you REALLY like fishing and people. Because you'll be in a boat for eight hours with 2-3 people you've never met before. Sometimes even with friends I'm ready to get off my boat after 6-7 hours! Second, do you want to turn your hobby into your job? Because it's got to change things, at least for the days you have clients. I've been with guides that are great and guides that are just putting in the time. Not very fair to charge someone $110 and not give them 8 hours of your attention and experience. Third, are you ready for a tough business to make a buck in? It may sound like fun to fish all day and get paid, but as I'm sure you know there are lots of hidden expenses - lost gear, busted rods, you name it. Don't forget insurance. Have someone get hurt on your boat and expect to get sued. Sad but that's the way it is.
As far as a guide service in the area you talked about, I wonder how much disposable income is in that area? You're talking about poor counties with high unemployment.
I'm not trying to rain on your idea, but sometimes it helps to hear the downside.
My opinion is, if you take everything into consideration and still want to try it, then GO FOR IT. There's nothing better than making a living (or even adding some extra income) doing something you love. I'd be interested to know what you decide and if I can help promote you on this end I'm happy to help.
What about it fellow readers - anything else you think Banock should think about?

#64502 - 01/14/02 07:55 PM Re: Fishing guide
Chromeo Offline
Spawner

Loc: Kenmore, WA
first off think if the people in those counties will want to take a guide to go trout fishing. most think they can catch them on their own. mike had a good point too about the unemployment and low income. also get to know the lakes EXTREMELY well so that when you go out you can have the best shot at fish for your customers. if you put them on fish in return the will come back to you again. laugh dont let anyone discourage you from this. it is also a dream of mine and it is only a matter of time.
tyler

#64503 - 01/14/02 10:56 PM Re: Fishing guide
Dogfish Offline
Poodle Smolt

Loc: McCleary, WA
Howdy Banock,

I have thought about this many times, but I could never figure out the economics. The big thing is finding your break even point and also the opportunity cost factor. By the way, I'm a small business banker and I specialize in helping folks get businesses started.

First the bad news. 80% of all new small businesses fail within the first two years. Half of those remaining fail in the next three years, so you have a one in ten shot of making it to 5 years. Sorry to paint a not-so-rosy picture, but there it is.

Now the good news. If you succeed, you get to tell your boss to take a long walk on a short pier, but I wouldn't burn that bridge just yet.

Challenges.

Is there a market to support the business?
How much would someone pay for such a service?
How many trips a week will it take to cover your basic needs to pay rent, truck payment, food, gear, etc.?
What is your earning potential if you were to choose to work at your current job vs. a venture that is unproven at this time?
What is your forecast of profit and loss, cash flow, and so on.
Do you have adequate financial reserves to cover any slow periods or off seasons?
Will you be keeping your day job?

I have business plan guidebooks that will help you to explore such a venture, just let me know, and I can get one to you. I am not soliciting your business, but I highly suggest that you write a business plan BEFORE you start off. Remember that 80%? Only 10% had a written business plan. Most of those who succeeded, 90%, had a written plan.

I grew up in the area you are describing, and I hit all of the lakes that get Triploid plants, actually, I don't fish any lakes that don't get trophy fish stocked in them. These fish don't take a rocket scientist to catch them, either that, or I am that good and I just don't know it yet. wink You would have to offer something special to get me out on the lake with you, but I'm not sure just what.

I know you didn't ask MY opinion, but I would be happy to help point you in the right way, business wise.

Andy

They call me POODLE SMOLT!

The Discover Pass is brought to you by your friends at the CCA.

#64504 - 01/30/02 10:06 AM Re: Fishing guide
JimB Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Chehalis
Banock,
Well I hope this isn't to late. I will give you a perspective from a guides point of view. I own and operate Washington Outdoors a very diversified guiding service. I fish some of the lakes you are thinking about I am sure. One of these lakes produces "trophy" carryover rainbows that range from 16" to 24", for the last 4 years we have caught right around 200 each year...this is a lake that gets very litte pressure and even less press. Oh another hint...it gets no triploid plants. The market as far as I am concerned is dad and kids...kids are a real challenge to have in a boat. Some of course are great but others are very unruly and it is a fine line between being a professional and parenting. Price needs to come down so also do your profits and marketing is a bit of a problem on how to reach your target market. Other than that...it is a very fun way to go and is very easy in comparison to fishing really anything else so...if you decide..let me know and I can maybe help you out a bit.

Jim

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
crappieking, steelheadpimpjuice
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
1 registered (1 invisible), 1216 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14489
Salmo g. 13526
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63783 Topics
645418 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |