Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#64563 - 01/20/02 01:58 PM Question for the REAL fishermen
Fishboy5 Offline
Parr

Loc: Battle Ground, WA
The dark side is falling, and I want out. laugh
I would like to get into fly fishing, but have no idea where to start. I was on orvis.com and they have a line of tackle called Clearwater. It is not really expensive, and I guess that it is essentially for beginners. Mr. Trout Master and Mr. Zen Leacher, could you help me?

#64564 - 01/20/02 02:47 PM Re: Question for the REAL fishermen
Trout Master Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Edmonds
Fishboy, I'm kind've a novice myself, I have been doing it for about 8 years. I'm still learning everyday. A good place to start was to go to different fly shops and start asking ?. It took me acouple shops to find one that was helpfull.
You dont have to spend the big $$$ to get started.
I think cabella's has some low $ outfits to get you started. Also I know guy's now that go to Gi Joes and have bought fly rods there for $60.00 or so. Okuma reels are very low dollar but have nice qualities. I would start with a sink tip or full sink line to get statrted as that is where the fish are. Hopefully Zen Leecher and Fishingfella and Micro Brew can jump in here and give you more than I have. I will tell you this when you catch your first fish on a fly. You will be hooked. And the force will be with you. laugh

#64565 - 01/20/02 03:10 PM Re: Question for the REAL fishermen
Old Man Offline
Spawner

Loc: Silver Star,Mt
Now I don't know if I would call TM a real expert. All he fishes is lakes. A real expert would waste his time and fish rivers also. I agree with TM though. I got most of my gear at Outdoor Emporium in Seattle but I see from your post that you hail from Battle ground.What's close to Battle Ground. I guess from staying home all the time I seem to get into rambling whatever comes out of my mind. So TM please don't take me seriously Jim S. laugh

#64566 - 01/20/02 03:13 PM Re: Question for the REAL fishermen
Trout Master Offline
Returning Adult

Jimbo, uh did you say something? laugh

#64567 - 01/20/02 03:13 PM Re: Question for the REAL fishermen
chrome/22 Offline
Captain C/22 - Team Stay Up Right!

Loc: Hurricane Ridge , Wa.
FB-5 If you go with a okuma sierra fly reel, shoot me an e-mail. I've got a nice used one 7/8 wt. loaded with a unused scientific anglers 6wt. wt.forward floating line, this reel and line will work well with a 6wt. or smaller 7wt.fly rod. Think its got about 120 yds. of backing on it. I'll save you some $$ laugh

#64568 - 01/20/02 03:16 PM Re: Question for the REAL fishermen
Trout Master Offline
Returning Adult

Jim ,the reason I fish lakes in this state is that the trout in the lakes are alot bigger than in the rivers. laugh

#64569 - 01/20/02 05:07 PM Re: Question for the REAL fishermen
Old Man Offline
Spawner

Just razzing you. Hope you don't take me seriously. Heck I might/would like to go with you to one of your Secret lakes and I don't think getting you mad at me is the ticket. Jim S. laugh

#64570 - 01/20/02 06:00 PM Re: Question for the REAL fishermen
Trout Master Offline
Returning Adult

The spot is kind of Zen and Fishingfellas place.
Mr Micro Brew and I have taken a oath not to take anyone there. You have to be really nice to the other guys to get the directions. Heck I dont have any secret lakes of my own anyway. But I do hope to find one or two this spring smile I will give you a hint though, There are some really big trout in the lake we cleaned up. Not alot though so they are hard to get. laugh

#64571 - 01/20/02 06:56 PM Re: Question for the REAL fishermen
Fishboy5 Offline
Parr

There's a G.I. Joe's near me, but the cheapest fly that they sell is $2. I don't know if this is average for a fly, or if I just expected a piece of fuzz and metal to be less. laugh
T.M.-I think that I will probably also fish only lakes, being that most streams in my area dry up every year.
Thanks everyone for your help. Now I've got another way to waste my money trying to catch fish.

#64572 - 01/20/02 06:59 PM Re: Question for the REAL fishermen
Fishboy5 Offline
Parr

T.M.-Do you fish leaches under a strike indicator?

#64573 - 01/20/02 07:47 PM Re: Question for the REAL fishermen
Trout Master Offline
Returning Adult

FB-5, No, leeches with full sink line , I like 3short strips about 2-3" each,pause do it again.Chronomids under the strike indicator. Or like Fishingfella is going to try scuds under one.

#64574 - 01/21/02 01:10 AM Re: Question for the REAL fishermen
Chromeo Offline
Spawner

Loc: Kenmore, WA
dont buy the best gear right away. buys something that will work ok but dosent brake you pocketbook! see if you like the sport. then go spend some serious moo lahh! laugh
tyler
P.S. Are you sayin us "non-Fly Flingers" J/K arent real men? mad laugh

#64575 - 01/21/02 11:50 AM Re: Question for the REAL fishermen
Zen Leecher aka Bill W Offline
Spawner

Loc: Moses Lake
Fishboy,

Cabela's sells good combo outfits, rod, reel and line for $60something. I wanted to get one for myself last year but didn't. Those outfits are good for beginners, and smart intermediate and expert fishermen who also know the secret that the better fisherman doesn't always have the highest priced gear. I'm not sure what the name of the combo outfits are but they were in the catalog last year. You could find it online too.

Another source of cheap gear would be local garage sales. Watch out there as some of the stuff there is overpriced for the value.

Some BC fishermen play around with leeches under indicators. It's called the catatonic leech. I've never used them, but believe almost any sinking fly could be fished under an indicator. Some patterns lend themselves better to indicator fishing as the nymphs they imitate don't move that much in the water.

Mr Swan, I also fall into the category of "mostly lakes" so I might not be all that good of a fisherman also.

T. Celli. Real fishermen have learned to say "no" to bait. That also extends to lures. A real fisherman wouldn't be caught dead in a Curtis raft using ping pong paddles to slow troll a flatfish. You are probably also Trailblazer scum.

Hi-Lakers Rule!!

Tyler, just kidding. I just got on the Hi-Laker board and saw where you recently joined. I don't go to meetings all that much and get most of my info out of the newsletter. Will be there next month for Brian and Walt's slide show.

#64576 - 01/21/02 12:41 PM Re: Question for the REAL fishermen
Old Man Offline
Spawner

Hey Zen thank's for the mr.. I looked up the fly rod combo in the Catalog and it's called the Three Forks Graphite Combos. You also get a free fly fishing video with it. I think I will order one as I'm in the market for an 8wt. And try it out on steelheading. As for buying flies go to www.washingtonflyfishing.com and click on the link that says hill's discount flies. Most flies sell for .85 cents. Zen,I'm not knocking lake fishing. It's just that I never got the hang of it. Jim S. shocked

#64577 - 01/21/02 03:51 PM Re: Question for the REAL fishermen
Zen Leecher aka Bill W Offline
Spawner

Loc: Moses Lake
I forgot about Hills flies and how cheap they are.

I've ordered from Jim (Hill) in the past and he offers real good deals.

#64578 - 01/21/02 03:56 PM Re: Question for the REAL fishermen
Fishboy5 Offline
Parr

T.M- Is there any way that I could buy any of your famous leaches from you?

#64579 - 01/21/02 04:14 PM Re: Question for the REAL fishermen
Trout Master Offline
Returning Adult

My leeches?????? famous??????????????? Zen Leecher is the famous one. Hell mine are just ugly
and say things to the fish like "your momma was just here" and that in turn pisses the fish off and he bites it. So no I dont have anyflies to sell. Go to hill's flies to buy some. Micro Brewski I think bought some from there last fall.

#64580 - 01/21/02 06:12 PM Re: Question for the REAL fishermen
FishnfellaS Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Grand Coulee,Wa. 99133
Sounds like you're getting too much good advice from the guys!!! Let me add a couple hints though..... One, when you buy buy one of the combo outfits mentioned for the best deal. And don't make the mistake most make and get a 5 or 6 or 7 wt. outfit. Get a 3 or 4 wt. to start. Much more sensitivity and feel and sport. I fished with a 5 wt. for too long and thought I died and went to heaven when I got a 2 wt. Two wt. is a little light for a beginner though.
Hills flies, yeah it's a good deal and he ties a nice fly for the price. Before long though you will want to get into tying yourself so you can get the best patterns for your fav. waters.

#64581 - 01/21/02 07:59 PM Re: Question for the REAL fishermen
Chromeo Offline
Spawner

Loc: Kenmore, WA
zen what are you talking about hi-lakers?
tyler

#64582 - 01/21/02 08:17 PM Re: Question for the REAL fishermen
readra21 Offline
Alevin

Loc: Lacey, WA
Fishboy5,
Start out by getting the Orvis guide to flyfishing. read it, and then read it again.
GIJoes, hell, any good fly shop will have a courtland CL for around $79-$99. get a cheap floating WF (weight forward) line leader and tippet, get out and practice. After you watch a few videos, read a few more books, and practice some more. be paitent though, it might be a while to asorb all the info. I have just celebrated a full year with the fly, and I swear I will never chunk bait again. As time goes by you will see that the flies in the shop catch the fisherman, the flies you tie, catch the fish.
$400.00 rods and $500.00 reels are pretty as hell to look at, sure they catch fish. But you gan get into a great rod reel and line for under $200.00
Believe me, when you start tying your own, you would rather spend it on materials. Or a float tube/Pontoon. You'll see what I mean after you take the plunge.
Good luck.
Tight lines. laugh

[ 01-21-2002: Message edited by: readra21 ]

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Skate
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
1 registered (steely slammer), 1366 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63779 Topics
645378 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |