Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#64563 - 01/20/02 01:58 PM Question for the REAL fishermen
Fishboy5 Offline
Parr

Loc: Battle Ground, WA
The dark side is falling, and I want out. laugh
I would like to get into fly fishing, but have no idea where to start. I was on orvis.com and they have a line of tackle called Clearwater. It is not really expensive, and I guess that it is essentially for beginners. Mr. Trout Master and Mr. Zen Leacher, could you help me?

#64564 - 01/20/02 02:47 PM Re: Question for the REAL fishermen
Trout Master Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Edmonds
Fishboy, I'm kind've a novice myself, I have been doing it for about 8 years. I'm still learning everyday. A good place to start was to go to different fly shops and start asking ?. It took me acouple shops to find one that was helpfull.
You dont have to spend the big $$$ to get started.
I think cabella's has some low $ outfits to get you started. Also I know guy's now that go to Gi Joes and have bought fly rods there for $60.00 or so. Okuma reels are very low dollar but have nice qualities. I would start with a sink tip or full sink line to get statrted as that is where the fish are. Hopefully Zen Leecher and Fishingfella and Micro Brew can jump in here and give you more than I have. I will tell you this when you catch your first fish on a fly. You will be hooked. And the force will be with you. laugh

#64565 - 01/20/02 03:10 PM Re: Question for the REAL fishermen
Old Man Offline
Spawner

Loc: Silver Star,Mt
Now I don't know if I would call TM a real expert. All he fishes is lakes. A real expert would waste his time and fish rivers also. I agree with TM though. I got most of my gear at Outdoor Emporium in Seattle but I see from your post that you hail from Battle ground.What's close to Battle Ground. I guess from staying home all the time I seem to get into rambling whatever comes out of my mind. So TM please don't take me seriously Jim S. laugh

#64566 - 01/20/02 03:13 PM Re: Question for the REAL fishermen
Trout Master Offline
Returning Adult

Jimbo, uh did you say something? laugh

#64567 - 01/20/02 03:13 PM Re: Question for the REAL fishermen
chrome/22 Offline
Captain C/22 - Team Stay Up Right!

Loc: Hurricane Ridge , Wa.
FB-5 If you go with a okuma sierra fly reel, shoot me an e-mail. I've got a nice used one 7/8 wt. loaded with a unused scientific anglers 6wt. wt.forward floating line, this reel and line will work well with a 6wt. or smaller 7wt.fly rod. Think its got about 120 yds. of backing on it. I'll save you some $$ laugh

#64568 - 01/20/02 03:16 PM Re: Question for the REAL fishermen
Trout Master Offline
Returning Adult

Jim ,the reason I fish lakes in this state is that the trout in the lakes are alot bigger than in the rivers. laugh

#64569 - 01/20/02 05:07 PM Re: Question for the REAL fishermen
Old Man Offline
Spawner

Just razzing you. Hope you don't take me seriously. Heck I might/would like to go with you to one of your Secret lakes and I don't think getting you mad at me is the ticket. Jim S. laugh

#64570 - 01/20/02 06:00 PM Re: Question for the REAL fishermen
Trout Master Offline
Returning Adult

The spot is kind of Zen and Fishingfellas place.
Mr Micro Brew and I have taken a oath not to take anyone there. You have to be really nice to the other guys to get the directions. Heck I dont have any secret lakes of my own anyway. But I do hope to find one or two this spring smile I will give you a hint though, There are some really big trout in the lake we cleaned up. Not alot though so they are hard to get. laugh

#64571 - 01/20/02 06:56 PM Re: Question for the REAL fishermen
Fishboy5 Offline
Parr

There's a G.I. Joe's near me, but the cheapest fly that they sell is $2. I don't know if this is average for a fly, or if I just expected a piece of fuzz and metal to be less. laugh
T.M.-I think that I will probably also fish only lakes, being that most streams in my area dry up every year.
Thanks everyone for your help. Now I've got another way to waste my money trying to catch fish.

#64572 - 01/20/02 06:59 PM Re: Question for the REAL fishermen
Fishboy5 Offline
Parr

T.M.-Do you fish leaches under a strike indicator?

#64573 - 01/20/02 07:47 PM Re: Question for the REAL fishermen
Trout Master Offline
Returning Adult

FB-5, No, leeches with full sink line , I like 3short strips about 2-3" each,pause do it again.Chronomids under the strike indicator. Or like Fishingfella is going to try scuds under one.

#64574 - 01/21/02 01:10 AM Re: Question for the REAL fishermen
Chromeo Offline
Spawner

Loc: Kenmore, WA
dont buy the best gear right away. buys something that will work ok but dosent brake you pocketbook! see if you like the sport. then go spend some serious moo lahh! laugh
tyler
P.S. Are you sayin us "non-Fly Flingers" J/K arent real men? mad laugh

#64575 - 01/21/02 11:50 AM Re: Question for the REAL fishermen
Zen Leecher aka Bill W Offline
Spawner

Loc: Moses Lake
Fishboy,

Cabela's sells good combo outfits, rod, reel and line for $60something. I wanted to get one for myself last year but didn't. Those outfits are good for beginners, and smart intermediate and expert fishermen who also know the secret that the better fisherman doesn't always have the highest priced gear. I'm not sure what the name of the combo outfits are but they were in the catalog last year. You could find it online too.

Another source of cheap gear would be local garage sales. Watch out there as some of the stuff there is overpriced for the value.

Some BC fishermen play around with leeches under indicators. It's called the catatonic leech. I've never used them, but believe almost any sinking fly could be fished under an indicator. Some patterns lend themselves better to indicator fishing as the nymphs they imitate don't move that much in the water.

Mr Swan, I also fall into the category of "mostly lakes" so I might not be all that good of a fisherman also.

T. Celli. Real fishermen have learned to say "no" to bait. That also extends to lures. A real fisherman wouldn't be caught dead in a Curtis raft using ping pong paddles to slow troll a flatfish. You are probably also Trailblazer scum.

Hi-Lakers Rule!!

Tyler, just kidding. I just got on the Hi-Laker board and saw where you recently joined. I don't go to meetings all that much and get most of my info out of the newsletter. Will be there next month for Brian and Walt's slide show.

#64576 - 01/21/02 12:41 PM Re: Question for the REAL fishermen
Old Man Offline
Spawner

Hey Zen thank's for the mr.. I looked up the fly rod combo in the Catalog and it's called the Three Forks Graphite Combos. You also get a free fly fishing video with it. I think I will order one as I'm in the market for an 8wt. And try it out on steelheading. As for buying flies go to www.washingtonflyfishing.com and click on the link that says hill's discount flies. Most flies sell for .85 cents. Zen,I'm not knocking lake fishing. It's just that I never got the hang of it. Jim S. shocked

#64577 - 01/21/02 03:51 PM Re: Question for the REAL fishermen
Spawner

I forgot about Hills flies and how cheap they are.

I've ordered from Jim (Hill) in the past and he offers real good deals.

#64578 - 01/21/02 03:56 PM Re: Question for the REAL fishermen
Fishboy5 Offline
Parr

T.M- Is there any way that I could buy any of your famous leaches from you?

#64579 - 01/21/02 04:14 PM Re: Question for the REAL fishermen
Trout Master Offline
Returning Adult

My leeches?????? famous??????????????? Zen Leecher is the famous one. Hell mine are just ugly
and say things to the fish like "your momma was just here" and that in turn pisses the fish off and he bites it. So no I dont have anyflies to sell. Go to hill's flies to buy some. Micro Brewski I think bought some from there last fall.

#64580 - 01/21/02 06:12 PM Re: Question for the REAL fishermen
FishnfellaS Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Grand Coulee,Wa. 99133
Sounds like you're getting too much good advice from the guys!!! Let me add a couple hints though..... One, when you buy buy one of the combo outfits mentioned for the best deal. And don't make the mistake most make and get a 5 or 6 or 7 wt. outfit. Get a 3 or 4 wt. to start. Much more sensitivity and feel and sport. I fished with a 5 wt. for too long and thought I died and went to heaven when I got a 2 wt. Two wt. is a little light for a beginner though.
Hills flies, yeah it's a good deal and he ties a nice fly for the price. Before long though you will want to get into tying yourself so you can get the best patterns for your fav. waters.

#64581 - 01/21/02 07:59 PM Re: Question for the REAL fishermen
Chromeo Offline
Spawner

Loc: Kenmore, WA
zen what are you talking about hi-lakers?
tyler

#64582 - 01/21/02 08:17 PM Re: Question for the REAL fishermen
readra21 Offline
Alevin

Loc: Lacey, WA
Fishboy5,
Start out by getting the Orvis guide to flyfishing. read it, and then read it again.
GIJoes, hell, any good fly shop will have a courtland CL for around $79-$99. get a cheap floating WF (weight forward) line leader and tippet, get out and practice. After you watch a few videos, read a few more books, and practice some more. be paitent though, it might be a while to asorb all the info. I have just celebrated a full year with the fly, and I swear I will never chunk bait again. As time goes by you will see that the flies in the shop catch the fisherman, the flies you tie, catch the fish.
$400.00 rods and $500.00 reels are pretty as hell to look at, sure they catch fish. But you gan get into a great rod reel and line for under $200.00
Believe me, when you start tying your own, you would rather spend it on materials. Or a float tube/Pontoon. You'll see what I mean after you take the plunge.
Good luck.
Tight lines. laugh

[ 01-21-2002: Message edited by: readra21 ]

#64583 - 01/21/02 08:30 PM Re: Question for the REAL fishermen
Fishboy5 Offline
Parr

Thank all of you very much! I have gotten a couple of poles from my grandpa. He also gave me an old reel. I checked out Hill's fly's and I'll probably get some.
I just got back from actually fishing, and not just talking about it. I went to a little pond that's a five minute walk from my house. I've known about it for a while, but haven't been able to talk to the owners to get permission. I finally got it. I also got a little bluegill on a kastmaster.

#64584 - 01/21/02 09:40 PM Re: Question for the REAL fishermen
Trout Master Offline
Returning Adult

Fb5 ,take your rod and reel to a fly shop and ask them want you need and to see if all is in working order. I started off with a outfit that was my Dad's. Then look north at the first light in the morning and give praise to the Zen Leecher.
And chant 25 times Ohmmmmm!! Ohmmmmmm! Ohmmmm! laugh

#64585 - 01/21/02 10:24 PM Re: Question for the REAL fishermen
Old Man Offline
Spawner

Fishnfellas and Zen Leecher. TM says I have to talk nice to you to get in on your secret lake list. Fishnfellas you tied up some scuds for me last year which I haven't tried yet as I'm not much on lake fishing. But would like to learn. And Zen I helped you get your wifes car unstuck at that lake cleanup last year. I used to be some one else and now I'm just Old Man. Jim S. :p

#64586 - 01/21/02 10:43 PM Re: Question for the REAL fishermen
Trout Master Offline
Returning Adult

It takes $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ and lots of it. just kidding. Jim they never told me or Micro Brew. We found out about it on our own. You have to search for it.

#64587 - 01/22/02 10:28 AM Re: Question for the REAL fishermen
Micro Brew Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Normandy Park
Jim S. (I don't like the term old man, seems like I keep getting closer...)
How about a trip over to Cady this spring? They have a decent launch area and the potential for some BIG fish. We could even stay over at Mason to get an early start.
We can discuss dates later.

Any lake clean ups scheduled this year? There are a lot that need some help.

MB

#64588 - 01/22/02 10:48 AM Re: Question for the REAL fishermen
Trout Master Offline
Returning Adult

Scott, a feb trip to the lake doesnt look like it will happen. The planned date is Mar 1. I have been tying lot of flies . Jose is now signed up on here as Supertrucha. Which is spanish for Supertrout! Anyway I hope we can make this trip.
The lake is supposed to be great for chrono's.

#64589 - 01/22/02 11:13 AM Re: Question for the REAL fishermen
Spawner

Tyler, I sent private email to you. Got you confused with another member on here with, I think, the same first name.

OM.... stop whining... show some patience... shoot, everybody else knows about this secret lake since Trout Blabber fished it. Besides we won't be going over until sometime in March.... unless we have a surprise warm spell. Don't know why TM wants to go in Feb. Heck... it's a low of 19 degrees over there right now. Maybe he wants to use a frostbite chronie... I do like your new name of Old Man. I think I'm there right now.. and maybe "crotchety old man".

Also, my wife won't let me take her car fishing anymore.... wonder why???

OM.... I didn't discover this lake either. I had someone tell me about it. But, I did fish it about 15 years... maybe 20 years earlier. It was called a different name back then.

Lake clean-ups?? Shoot, I'm still trying to remember who suggested Little Cavanaugh last year. I think it was either TM or MB. I volunteered as I could never find that lake.

I could suggest a central WA lake for a combo clean-up/fish-in later. Only problem is we couldn't invite Mike C. as he'd want to take pictures, publicize them, probably catch some fish pic's too... and then everybody and their brother would want to come.

I know some other lakes, other than TM's secret lake, that also do good. One was doing real good last year and it was better suited to chronie fishing early in March. It was a 1/2 mile walk down a road from the car. I hope it's open again this year as the owner posted it last June because of vandals. It could stand some cleanup too.

#64590 - 01/22/02 11:37 AM Re: Question for the REAL fishermen
Trout Master Offline
Returning Adult

Zen, I mean old fart, I'm not going in feb, your right too cold. We do plan to hit it mar 1st. Trout blabber???? I've never giving the name . So anyway what size was the wire you used on the chrono's you showed me? I was at the avid dangler yesterday and the stuff I picked up is really fine wire ? I picked up some other Items also.
Olive super floss and other things. I'm still tying, it is hard on the eyes though. Well I'm heading out for a while to do some work.
Signed Trout Blabber

#64591 - 01/22/02 12:19 PM Re: Question for the REAL fishermen
Micro Brew Offline
Juvenille at Sea

I may go over and scout things out next month. Warm clothes and a little JW antifreeze. Nice that you are working on chronies, looking forward to seeing how they do. But with the great ZL as a teacher, I expect the Zen to work for you. Jose - I like the name. Just got back form Costa Rica, so I can add it to my limited Spanish vocabulary, which was limited to cervesa.
ZL - I understand about the wife's car. Can't take my wife's car anymore either, something about the flat tires and new front end gear box for the 4 wheel drive. The road wasn't that bad, REALLY!

Wasn't me on suggesting the Lake C clean-up. Like you, I wanted to see where it was, not sure that I could find it again anyway - but will try some day.
Clean-up 2002. How 'bout hitting the posted lake with clean up gear and seeing if we can get by the signs as a reward?
I'm up for anything, any time, just can't take the wife's car.
Mike can come blindfolded, as long as he brings the BBQ. Pictures to be edited prior to release!

#64592 - 01/22/02 12:25 PM Re: Question for the REAL fishermen
Trout Master Offline
Returning Adult

It was me who suggested Lil cavanaugh. Did you guys not like it? It is good fishing and there are some really nice fish in there if you find them. The lake is full of those really small red shrimp. I time the shrimp were so thick they left a ring around my float tube! I'll be glad to take you up there M.B. and Zen . Lets go to this lake the Zen man is talking about.

#64593 - 01/22/02 12:25 PM Re: Question for the REAL fishermen
Old Man Offline
Spawner

MB A trip to Cady sounds like a good deal,but not until it warms up. I don't have a float tube,I have a pontoon boat. TM whats the difference between the end of Feb and the first if March. Heck it's still cold over there. Zen I thought about cranky old man,but I'm really not one.I just seem to sound that way. I have one question to ask you gentleman,what type of set-up do you use on lakes. Length of rod and type of line. I have two rods one's a 5wt 9' and the others a 6wt 9' with a sink tip and a floater. I ain't going to spend any more on fly fishing. Soon I'm going to have to be like TM and get a job to pay for all of this. Jim S. smile

#64594 - 01/22/02 12:29 PM Re: Question for the REAL fishermen
Trout Master Offline
Returning Adult

Jim S, I take 3 rods in my pontoon. a 2 wt 8'4"
with floating line, And 2 9' 4wts. with a sink tip and the other with a full sink. That way I can cover most area of water. By the way I'm still not working full time. The job today the woman cancelled untill tomarrow.

#64595 - 01/22/02 12:56 PM Re: Question for the REAL fishermen
Spawner

Jim,

I use 5wts for my fishing. I usually have two rods in my pram, one with floating and one with sinking.. or sometimes two with floating. Depends if I want one rod strictly for chronies.

Bill

#64596 - 01/22/02 12:58 PM Re: Question for the REAL fishermen
Old Man Offline
Spawner

Trout Master,so you live in Edmonds huh. Maybe we could get together some time an swap lies as I'm retired and also have lots of time on my hands. I live in Marysville but I'm not against driving to meet some one. I'd go steelheading but all it wants to do is rain and too much rain is not good for river fishing.To much water. Jim S

#64597 - 01/22/02 06:23 PM Re: Question for the REAL fishermen
Fishboy5 Offline
Parr

Being I'm the future of fishing, I need something to keep my interest. Do any of you old farts have any secret lakes down here around Vancouver? There's no need to worry about me fishing them out, I don't even know how to cast yet. And I won't tell anyone, I don't know a single person that fly fishes.

I would get out and find my own lakes, if I could drive. Since I can't transport myself, I go to lakes that I know there are fish in.

#64598 - 01/22/02 06:59 PM Re: Question for the REAL fishermen
Trout Master Offline
Returning Adult

Old farts? He must be talking to Zen Leecher,or Jim S. or Fishingfella. Trout Master is not an old fart I just smell like one sometimes. I wish I could tell you some lakes down there but I've never fished that part of the state. sorry fbfive laugh

#64599 - 01/22/02 07:00 PM Re: Question for the REAL fishermen
Spawner

Fishboy,

We need some protocol here. Only old farts can address other old farts as old farts. We can also address young whippersnappers as young whippersnappers.

Young whippersnappers can only address other young whippersnappers as young whippersnappers. Never address old farts as old farts... bad protocol... and it makes them crotchety. Also elicits the remark of "the younger set isn't the same as it should be".

#64600 - 01/22/02 07:27 PM Re: Question for the REAL fishermen
Dogfish Offline
Poodle Smolt

Loc: McCleary, WA
Okay Zen,

Then how about us young whippersnappers referring to the old farts as "curmudgeons"? That okay? (Or am I getting to be an old fart, err, I mean curmugeon as well?) Just what is the dividing line, or is it relative?

Andy

They call me POODLE SMOLT!

The Discover Pass is brought to you by your friends at the CCA.

#64601 - 01/22/02 07:45 PM Re: Question for the REAL fishermen
Spawner

Uh... Andy... don't know how to tell you this, but I will be polite.

I don't have you in the whippersnapper category.

Fishboy may think you fall in the "old fart" class. Me, I don't as you're younger than me.

Maybe you are in that middle ground of not either group.

Remember, I was polite.

#64602 - 01/22/02 08:16 PM Re: Question for the REAL fishermen
Trout Master Offline
Returning Adult

Micro Brew and I are whippersnapper's then. laugh

#64603 - 01/22/02 09:00 PM Re: Question for the REAL fishermen
Old Man Offline
Spawner

I'm not an old fart. I'm only 66 going on 30. And thats not MPH either. There are some days that I feel old,but this week isn't it. I said that I wasn't going to spend any more money on gear. But I guess I lied. Went out today and bought me a Okuma 8/9 large arbor fly reel and an cheap 8wt sink tip fly line. I going to try Steelheading with flies and if I like it I will buy some better fly line. Jim S. cool

#64604 - 01/23/02 10:59 AM Re: Question for the REAL fishermen
Spawner

Jim,

If you're that old then you merit a trip to the secret lake. Shoot... you deserve a little pleasure in your dotage, lord knows you won't find it steelheading with flies.

Write yourself a post-it note and expect an invite in March, April or May. Remember the note as your memory may be failing because of advanced age.

I just hope I stillremember the directions then.

Maybe one of them whippersnappers will take you... TM and MB still have all their facilities.

#64605 - 01/23/02 11:10 AM Re: Question for the REAL fishermen
Trout Master Offline
Returning Adult

What were we talking about? S e c r e t L a k e
dierections? Uhhhhh?

#64606 - 01/23/02 11:49 AM Re: Question for the REAL fishermen
Spawner

Nah... we'll have to blindfold him for the trip. Someone will have to ride along shotgun with him and give him directions....you know.. turn right, turn left... stop sign, speed up....

You'll have to give real good directions with Jim being blindfolded.

#64607 - 01/23/02 11:50 AM Re: Question for the REAL fishermen
Micro Brew Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Facilities? I use them, but still have my FACULTIES...

MB

#64608 - 01/23/02 12:25 PM Re: Question for the REAL fishermen
Spawner

I don't have a thesarus.... does it show?

#64609 - 01/23/02 12:47 PM Re: Question for the REAL fishermen
FishnfellaS Offline
Returning Adult

Yup, Zen is loosin his facilities,hell I knew that way last year when I fished with him and he used Big Ugly Leeches more than Chronies during a raging Chronie hatch. Tryin for the bigun,he said.

Fishboy5: I used to Live in the Vancouver area and there aren't many secret lakes. There is one on the North side of Bob's Mountain out near the Washougal Salmon Hatchery, but it's hard to find and the road was bad even years ago.Isn't on any maps.
If I were a flyfishing beginner down there I'd fish Kress up by Kalama or Horsethief out in the Gorge or maybe those Salmon Creek ponds to sharpen up my skills and technique.
Then I'd go to Castle or Merrill and actually start fishing for sporting sized trout and not those planters.

#64610 - 01/23/02 01:14 PM Re: Question for the REAL fishermen
FishnfellaS Offline
Returning Adult

Hey Old Man:
Saw your post about the Scuds and Lake fishing. You gotta try it this year! It's made for lazy old men who like to sit and feed the ducks and watch a bobber.
Not hard to learn the trade either. If marginals like TM and Zen,Micro,and I can do it you can too.
Think of it as a second childhood,sitting and staring at your bobber. No worms though. Talk to Zen about protocol. Leeches=OK, Worms=NOT OK. Well maybe San Juan worms early in the year. wink

#64611 - 01/23/02 03:45 PM Re: Question for the REAL fishermen
Old Man Offline
Spawner

I don't use bait not even worms. I don't like to stare at bobbers either. I like to keep moving except if I'm on a lake and the sun is shining and it's warm. Then I might go to sleep. I'm like a elephant(but not as big as one),I don't forget much when it's about fishing. I'm like you about secret places. I lost my mind one time and told where a good spot on a creek was. Went back later and not a fish in site. I guess he told about 5 other guys and they picked it clean. Jim S. cool

#64612 - 01/23/02 04:14 PM Re: Question for the REAL fishermen
Old Man Offline
Spawner

I sat here thinking about what you said Zen. Just email me the name of the place and if it's on a map I will find it. I have about three atlas's of Washington State,have most of the state forests from the Cascades to the border going east. It seems thay I collect maps becaue I like to find places. Boy,my typing sucks today. You should see it before I send it. Jim S. laugh

#64613 - 01/23/02 07:28 PM Re: Question for the REAL fishermen
FishnfellaS Offline
Returning Adult

Secret Places: Hell, I'd love to share every one of mine with all you guys who love to fish. But lotta them (most in fact) are small and outa the way and a whole bunch of guys in there would ruin the experience for everyone.

You who want to fish a really great,relatively unabused place,learn to read maps,navigate,and pay your dues like I did by exploring. You'll come up with some duds sure. But you'll also find some places where Bubba and his trash and popcans/beer bottles and powerbait haven't ruined the scenery or the fishing. Oops, didn't make many friends with that post. cool

#64614 - 01/23/02 07:31 PM Re: Question for the REAL fishermen
Trout Master Offline
Returning Adult

Wheres Bubba? Oh there he is in his rusted out chevy,picking his nose and ready to dig for some worms. You got some pretty teeth boy laugh

#64615 - 01/23/02 07:44 PM Re: Question for the REAL fishermen
Old Man Offline
Spawner

I do explore but but but I do it locally. I really like to fish running water. I have fished a few streams in Eastern Wash. That I found by looking at a map. I had my eyes on another place or two last year but my car decided to act up so I didn't go. But this is a new year. More places to ezplore. Jim rolleyes

#64616 - 01/23/02 08:16 PM Re: Question for the REAL fishermen
Fishboy5 Offline
Parr

Z.L.-Sorry about calling you an old fart.

#64617 - 01/24/02 12:15 AM Re: Question for the REAL fishermen
Mike C Offline

Loc: Redmond
Hey Zen
Oh man, I'm really hurt.
frown
I can't keep a secret? Post pictures? Well, of course post pictures, but we could keep the name of the lake secret. Maybe a "secret lake cleanup" report.
Please pick a lake that has a boat ramp so I can troll with my downriggers. laugh Oh, did I say something wrong?
:p

#64618 - 01/24/02 02:00 PM Re: Question for the REAL fishermen
Spawner

Mike...Mike.... Mike....

Sometimes I think the only reason we keep you is because you are the moderator of this board.... hmmm.. do I have things a little backwards here??

I'm considering some lakes for a "clean-up" that offer mixed style fishing and mixed method fishing. I suppose this could be better termed a "fish-in".

Maybe this board should consider a "fish-in". I've done one with a board I'm on up in BC. They've done two so far and also a couple of fly swaps. One ties flies, so a "plug swap" would lose something in the translation... and also it could be cost prohibitive.

I will admit to an occasional call from the dark side as I want to get back over to Sprague and fish for shallow water walleye and also toss some plugs for bass.

#64619 - 01/25/02 12:59 PM Re: Question for the REAL fishermen
BrianC Offline
Alevin

Loc: Silverdale, WA
Trail Blazer scum? Them's fightin' words, Zen. All that work to put the fish in just so the Hi-Laker fish hogs can catch 'em out.

And, there's nothing better then slow trolling a flatfish from a Curtis Raft. Well, OK, bringing a rise to a well placed elk hair caddis from a Curtis raft is more fun, but that's beside the point!

#64620 - 01/25/02 01:36 PM Re: Question for the REAL fishermen
Trout Master Offline
Returning Adult

Fighting words????? To many of us here for you to say those are fighting words! Trailblazers I think he was refering to the basket ball team Knot head! mad

#64621 - 01/25/02 02:11 PM Re: Question for the REAL fishermen
BrianC Offline
Alevin

Loc: Silverdale, WA
Nah, he wasn't referring to the basketball team. These are the Trail Blazers he was talking about. It's an old joke and friendly rivalry that goes way, way back.

#64622 - 01/25/02 02:39 PM Re: Question for the REAL fishermen
Old Man Offline
Spawner

I like to explore around for spots. But I notice that there are a lot more lakes in Eastern Wash. then there are on the west side. Just another question on them lakes or should I say ponds in EW. Do they have fish in them or do I have to find out for myself. Also one last question. How many of them are on private property. I don't want to get shot for just looking. Jim S. laugh

#64623 - 01/25/02 02:44 PM Re: Question for the REAL fishermen
Trout Master Offline
Returning Adult

Ok, no harm laugh

#64624 - 01/25/02 09:47 PM Re: Question for the REAL fishermen
Old Man Offline
Spawner

TM what size hooks do you tye your Zonkers on. Also your leeches. If I try lake fishing this year some time I am going to have to use some thing that works. Jim S. laugh

#64625 - 01/26/02 11:18 AM Re: Question for the REAL fishermen
Trout Master Offline
Returning Adult

Jim, Last night when I was tying with Zen Leecher we tied some woolybuggers in size 6 2xL. Some may think this is big but ,I think its fine and they work well. The Zonkers and leeches I have tied and fished with are size 8,10,12. Plus there are the mini leeches that Zen Tyes up , Also I 've seen them at outdoor emporium, size 12,14. wink

#64626 - 01/28/02 10:57 AM Re: Question for the REAL fishermen
Spawner

Mr Brian C,

I would never refer to you as "Trailblazer scum" as I have one of the Curtis rafts. Besides, I like your slide shows.

I saw where a Tyler Laurenti (sp) was a new High Laker.. or new TBer... and thought I was needling him. He's on here too.

TM... those hooks are 3xl.... I don't do short leeches. They're 2x heavy... that's the 2x part.

Old Man, only bullets you need worry about is if you ever squeal about secret lakes.... I don't know too many private lakes. You ain't a squealer, are you????

#64627 - 01/28/02 11:15 AM Re: Question for the REAL fishermen
Trout Master Offline
Returning Adult

Zen, how was shooting yesterday? No problems making it into work I see. I'm gonna try to make it to the avid dangler this moring. Have some other errands to run 1st. 2457 hooks correct?

#64628 - 01/28/02 11:31 AM Re: Question for the REAL fishermen
Old Man Offline
Spawner

Thanks for the info on the flies. I'm no good at tying small flies,but when they start to get bigger I seem to do all right. Squeeler about what. I don't know what your talking about Zen. Heh Heh Heh. My lips are sealed. TM As you asked in the other thread about lakes in my area. No I haven't fished many of them as I said before that I don't fish lakes but I'm willing to learn how. I've tried a few locally and I got my eye on a few in my area that I going to try when the season opens. Jim S.

#64629 - 01/31/02 07:05 PM Re: Question for the REAL fishermen
FishnfellaS Offline
Returning Adult

Hey "Old Man" saw your post about lakes in E. Wash. If ya want info. on any of them you got in mind to fish just drop me or Zen a line. Bofus got a lotta knowledge about E. Wash. lakes and will share it with most any old fart on a Secretive E-mail basis.

Tying big flies huh? Well if you can tie bigins you can tie smallins too. All you gotta do is get ya one of those large 3X magnifying lenses on an adjustable arm with the light inside and rig it up on your tying table. I did couple years ago cause of bad eyes. My tying improved according to some critics. Others, well we won't talk about them.
If ya wanna fish lakes successfully you better tie more that just Zonkers and leeches cause the fish ignore them after the water warms up. They're mainly an early and late season fly. wink

#64630 - 01/31/02 08:07 PM Re: Question for the REAL fishermen
Old Man Offline
Spawner

It isn't that I can't tie flies. It's because I have the shakes. I have essesive tremors. When I start to do anything that is close work I get shakey. My limit is about 4 flies and then I'm done. If I was to try and tie anymore I would destroy more that I could make. As for little flies they are out of the question. I can't or won't go smaller that a 14. I tried to go to a 18 but that didn't work. I just think that I would be better off buying them. After all .75 at Outdoor Emp. isn't that bad. I got supplies for leeches today,tied 3 and was done. Jim S. laugh

#64631 - 02/01/02 11:25 AM Re: Question for the REAL fishermen
Spawner

Jim,

My personal limit is about size 18 too. Anything smaller and I buy those flies... and if they are "involved" like a Royal Wulff... then I buy them and don't even bother trying.

Tremors... hey.. there's a bright side on that. Means you won't have to use a dubbing brush to make your flies look buggy.

Bill

#64632 - 02/01/02 03:02 PM Re: Question for the REAL fishermen
Old Man Offline
Spawner

I wish it was that easy. I try not to shake so I can tie a few. My shakes are not a pretty site. You ought to see me try to thread 3# leader on a size 16 or 18 hook. At least I can laugh at myself. laugh If I'm near to anything to sit on I've got it made. I just put both hands on my leg to steady everything and then if my eyes don't fail me I can get it done. Jim S. cool

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Dick laxton, Lil Blue Sled, Lil Red Sled, Solash, The Moderator, WeServe
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1248 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63779 Topics
645375 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |