Trout Master Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Edmonds
Ok, no harm laugh

#64624 - 01/25/02 09:47 PM Re: Question for the REAL fishermen
Old Man Offline
Spawner

Loc: Silver Star,Mt
TM what size hooks do you tye your Zonkers on. Also your leeches. If I try lake fishing this year some time I am going to have to use some thing that works. Jim S. laugh

#64625 - 01/26/02 11:18 AM Re: Question for the REAL fishermen
Trout Master Offline
Returning Adult

Jim, Last night when I was tying with Zen Leecher we tied some woolybuggers in size 6 2xL. Some may think this is big but ,I think its fine and they work well. The Zonkers and leeches I have tied and fished with are size 8,10,12. Plus there are the mini leeches that Zen Tyes up , Also I 've seen them at outdoor emporium, size 12,14. wink

#64626 - 01/28/02 10:57 AM Re: Question for the REAL fishermen
Zen Leecher aka Bill W Offline
Spawner

Loc: Moses Lake
Mr Brian C,

I would never refer to you as "Trailblazer scum" as I have one of the Curtis rafts. Besides, I like your slide shows.

I saw where a Tyler Laurenti (sp) was a new High Laker.. or new TBer... and thought I was needling him. He's on here too.

TM... those hooks are 3xl.... I don't do short leeches. They're 2x heavy... that's the 2x part.

Old Man, only bullets you need worry about is if you ever squeal about secret lakes.... I don't know too many private lakes. You ain't a squealer, are you????

#64627 - 01/28/02 11:15 AM Re: Question for the REAL fishermen
Trout Master Offline
Returning Adult

Zen, how was shooting yesterday? No problems making it into work I see. I'm gonna try to make it to the avid dangler this moring. Have some other errands to run 1st. 2457 hooks correct?

#64628 - 01/28/02 11:31 AM Re: Question for the REAL fishermen
Old Man Offline
Spawner

Thanks for the info on the flies. I'm no good at tying small flies,but when they start to get bigger I seem to do all right. Squeeler about what. I don't know what your talking about Zen. Heh Heh Heh. My lips are sealed. TM As you asked in the other thread about lakes in my area. No I haven't fished many of them as I said before that I don't fish lakes but I'm willing to learn how. I've tried a few locally and I got my eye on a few in my area that I going to try when the season opens. Jim S.

#64629 - 01/31/02 07:05 PM Re: Question for the REAL fishermen
FishnfellaS Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Grand Coulee,Wa. 99133
Hey "Old Man" saw your post about lakes in E. Wash. If ya want info. on any of them you got in mind to fish just drop me or Zen a line. Bofus got a lotta knowledge about E. Wash. lakes and will share it with most any old fart on a Secretive E-mail basis.

Tying big flies huh? Well if you can tie bigins you can tie smallins too. All you gotta do is get ya one of those large 3X magnifying lenses on an adjustable arm with the light inside and rig it up on your tying table. I did couple years ago cause of bad eyes. My tying improved according to some critics. Others, well we won't talk about them.
If ya wanna fish lakes successfully you better tie more that just Zonkers and leeches cause the fish ignore them after the water warms up. They're mainly an early and late season fly. wink

#64630 - 01/31/02 08:07 PM Re: Question for the REAL fishermen
Old Man Offline
Spawner

It isn't that I can't tie flies. It's because I have the shakes. I have essesive tremors. When I start to do anything that is close work I get shakey. My limit is about 4 flies and then I'm done. If I was to try and tie anymore I would destroy more that I could make. As for little flies they are out of the question. I can't or won't go smaller that a 14. I tried to go to a 18 but that didn't work. I just think that I would be better off buying them. After all .75 at Outdoor Emp. isn't that bad. I got supplies for leeches today,tied 3 and was done. Jim S. laugh

#64631 - 02/01/02 11:25 AM Re: Question for the REAL fishermen
Zen Leecher aka Bill W Offline
Spawner

Loc: Moses Lake
Jim,

My personal limit is about size 18 too. Anything smaller and I buy those flies... and if they are "involved" like a Royal Wulff... then I buy them and don't even bother trying.

Tremors... hey.. there's a bright side on that. Means you won't have to use a dubbing brush to make your flies look buggy.

Bill

#64632 - 02/01/02 03:02 PM Re: Question for the REAL fishermen
Old Man Offline
Spawner

I wish it was that easy. I try not to shake so I can tie a few. My shakes are not a pretty site. You ought to see me try to thread 3# leader on a size 16 or 18 hook. At least I can laugh at myself. laugh If I'm near to anything to sit on I've got it made. I just put both hands on my leg to steady everything and then if my eyes don't fail me I can get it done. Jim S. cool

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Dick laxton, Lil Blue Sled, Lil Red Sled, Solash, The Moderator, WeServe
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
2 registered (No More Ice Fishin, Excitable Bob), 1334 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63779 Topics
645377 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |