THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Page 8 of 21 < 1 2 ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... 20 21 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#646937 - 12/22/10 02:18 AM Re: will selective com. fishing ruin sportfishing ? [Re: stlhdr1]
Fast and Furious Offline
River Nutrients

Keith,

Part of the problem with your rants is that you have misinterpreted the position and the goal of selective harvest gear. You and others have overstated the benefits of selective harvest gear that allows live capture and release of non targeted fish. Further, Selective harvest is one of many tools and reforms needed to increase populations of wild fish. It is one of eight positions and in no way do eight position represent all the issues facing wild fish or limit an organization from supporting the resource, sportfishing actiivities and businesses.

The positions of Oregon and Washington were developed with the help of biologists and former fisheries managers and adopted by the State Boards. At one time, you had the opportunity to get in at the ground level and share your vast expertise on fisheries and history. Now that time has passed, you and others put more emphasis on various articles and policy statements. Opinions of the media, other organization representatives and govt employees are nothing more than a starting point in the debate over the issues. Further, an organization representing anglers is not obligated to agree or support the positions of the govt or other organizaions. Lets not forget, who in the past have shown by their own actions and policies to have screwed up the resource in this state, in more ways than I thought possible. Political objectives rarely follow science to a T. The feds wont even follow their own written policies. It will take outside influence to make some of them a reality.

Many people in leadership have full time businesses in the industry and I have yet to meet one who wants to destroy his own livelihood. Depending on your sponsors, you may find they do not share your positions.

I expect that you will continue to insult the members and misrepresent the motives of the membership. I expect that you won't change your method of asking questions about subjects or locations, that have nothing to do with the positions of the organization. You will continue to stir the pot, expecting to change the outcome and the only thing you do, is give more people the opportunity to investigate for themselves, the organization that you demonize. I am only too happy to provide information about the organization. You have zero influence on the process or the policy and you probably alienate more people who were potential clients, than you have educated. If thats what you call education.

Merry Christmas Keith.

Washington Position Statements
Washington Position Statements As approved by the Board on July 11th, 2009

Selective Fishing
Scientific review of salmon hatchery and recovery efforts in the Pacific Northwest points to selective fishing as a key reform needed to restore depleted wild salmon and steelhead populations and to fully realize our significant investments in hatcheries, habitat restoration, and hydropower operations. To restore and rebuild depleted and ESA listed stocks, both commercial and recreational fishers must become more selective in targeting abundant stocks for harvest while minimizing impacts to less viable stocks. Such targeting requires the widespread use of harvest gear and practices capable of live capture, sorting and unharmed release of fish. Selective fishing methods will minimize mortality rates and bycatch of non-targeted stocks and facilitate efficient harvest of targeted hatchery stocks to prevent their interference with wild salmon recovery. CCA Washington supports the implementation of selective fishing and other science-based harvest reforms as a critical component of salmon and steelhead recovery efforts.

Harvest Management
Harvests of Pacific Northwest fish stocks often occur at the expense of the recovery of depleted stocks and to the detriment of non-targeted species. Managers tend to plan harvests based on optimistic estimates of abundance that often do not materialize. CCA Washington believes that harvest management decisions should err in favor of conservation and recovery, and impacts to nontargeted species should be minimized with appropriate buffers. Furthermore, since the fisheries resources of Washington are the property of present and future generations, harvestable surpluses should be utilized in a manner that optimizes their benefits to all of our citizens.

Catch Monitoring and Evaluation
The history of large-scale commercial fishing reveals a clear pattern of negative impacts to important non-targeted stocks (bycatch). Commercial fisheries extracting massive numbers of forage fish directly impact the health of depleted and ESA-listed stocks dependent on such forage fish. The availability of forage fish to provide a source of food for salmon, other fish, marine birds and marine mammals should take precedence over harvest. CCA Washington supports systematic and vigilant programs of professional catch monitoring and evaluation to identify and correct problems related to bycatch and overharvest of forage fisheries at an early stage.

Unrecorded Fishery Impacts
Rational fisheries management requires accurate assessment of mortality to nontarget stocks and species caused by or related to the fishery. Currently, managers rely too heavily on catch reports by those directly engaged in fisheries to regulate harvest. This practice invites bias, and may also result in systematic underestimates of mortality from such sources as pinnipeds taking fish from nets or lines, net drop-out, unrecorded sales, and derelict gear. In some cases, these factors are ignored completely. CCA Washington supports efforts to improve the accuracy of reporting and mortality assessments, to examine all likely causes of mortality related to a fishery, and to ensure accurate data is collected from disinterested or independently monitored sources.

Hatchery Funding and Reform
Hundreds of hatcheries throughout Washington play a vital role in salmon and steelhead conservation and recovery while also creating sustainable fishing opportunities. Hatchery review efforts illustrate the need for better management of state, federal and tribal hatchery and harvest programs to fulfill these important roles. Unfortunately, many hatcheries lack the funding needed to upgrade these facilities and agencies have not implemented key broodstock management reforms. CCA Washington supports science-based efforts to reform hatchery operations and urges the federal and state agencies to provide the funding and leadership needed to promptly implement these reforms.

Nutrient Enhancement of Freshwater Ecosystems
After spawning, adult salmon die and their remains transfer essential marine nutrients and energy-rich carbon to freshwater ecosystems. In the absence of abundant wild spawning fish, distribution of hatchery salmon carcasses or analogs serves to replace missing nutrients and thereby increases juvenile salmon growth rates and abundance. Wild salmon adult returns have decreased significantly in many freshwater systems raising the need to reverse this nutrient loss and increase distribution of hatchery salmon carcasses or analogs to such habitat. Independent scientific reviews confirm the positive ecological benefits of distributing salmon carcasses or analogs in natural spawning areas and recommend steps to minimize possible negative impacts to salmon stocks. CCA Washington supports these findings and recommendations.

Derelict Fishing Gear
Nearly 4,000 derelict fishing nets and 14,000 derelict recreational and commercial crab pots litter the floor of Puget Sound. Over their extended lives, these rot-resistant nets and pots ensnare untold thousands of fish, seabirds, marine mammals and as many as half a million crabs per year. More gear is lost and abandoned every year, adding to the accumulation. This build up of derelict fishing gear is not limited to Puget Sound but extends to the Columbia River and other river basins throughout Washington. No one agency is responsible for derelict gear removal, and accountability for lost gear is hampered by lack of any identification or reporting requirements. The Northwest Straits Commission (NWSC) has led the way to removing these silent killers and restoring the ecology of Puget Sound. CCA Washington supports efforts to remove this offending gear, to limit ongoing gear losses, to assign a single agency to oversee enforcement and resolutions, and to create and sustain adequate funding sources to complete the removal efforts.

Marine Fish Enhancement
Wasteful fisheries and deteriorating habitat have severely impacted many populations of near shore marine fishes. This is particularly evident in Puget Sound and the Georgia basin where these factors have combined to drastically reduce or eliminate entire families of formerly abundant ground fish, including rockfishes, codfishes, and greenlings. CCA Washington supports efforts to foster recovery and restoration of these stocks using the best available science in harvest management, hatchery supplementation and habitat improvement.

©2010 Coastal Conservation Association Pacific Northwest, All rights reserved. | Trouble Viewing? | Solar CMS by www.centralpointsystems.com

#646940 - 12/22/10 02:30 AM Re: will selective com. fishing ruin sportfishing ? [Re: Fast and Furious]
stlhdr1 Offline
BUCK NASTY!!

Loc: Vancouver, WA
Originally Posted By: Lead Bouncer
You will continue to stir the pot, expecting to change the outcome and the only thing you do, is give more people the opportunity to investigate for themselves, the organization that you demonize. I am only too happy to provide information about the organization. You have zero influence on the process or the policy and you probably alienate more people who were potential clients, than you have educated. If thats what you call education.

I sure as hell hope people investigate the direction the LCR is headed.... IMHO the CCA is a terrible thing for the LCR but could assist in other regions of the NW... But face the facts, you're another group of Wild fish savers. By all means that's a good thing but it's not going to happen in the LCR with barbless hooks and "selective" fishing. It's a [censored] joke, really.....

I can guarantee you I alientate people from the organization, the group is despised by more than you think. Matter of fact hundreds have given up or not joined realizing the direction the LCR is headed...

I could give a flying [censored] if I run another guide trip in my life. It's a hobby/job and more or less a treat to those that want to catch fish. Others can have that business.

Keep it up, we'll be off the LCR in less than 6-7 years and many tribs are going to suck ass for fishing... Thanks!

Keith

#646944 - 12/22/10 02:46 AM Re: will selective com. fishing ruin sportfishing ? [Re: Fast and Furious]
stlhdr1 Offline
BUCK NASTY!!

Hundreds of hatcheries throughout Washington play a vital role in salmon and steelhead conservation and recovery while also creating sustainable fishing opportunities. Hatchery review efforts illustrate the need for better management of state, federal and tribal hatchery and harvest programs to fulfill these important roles. Unfortunately, many hatcheries lack the funding needed to upgrade these facilities and agencies have not implemented key broodstock management reforms. CCA Washington supports science-based efforts to reform hatchery operations and urges the federal and state agencies to provide the funding and leadership needed to promptly implement these reforms.

Sure don't see a whole lot of work done here....... What's the good word? What's the next step you're going to claim for an accomplishment?

Keith

#646949 - 12/22/10 03:15 AM Re: will selective com. fishing ruin sportfishing ? [Re: stlhdr1]
eyeFISH Offline
Ornamental Rice Bowl

Originally Posted By: stlhdr1

Is CCA going to be a bunny hugger, fern sniffing group or are they going to support some hatchery plants so they can compensate for this "selective" fishing idea which is going to shortfund the sporties from hatchery fish?

What's it going to be? You can't survive on both sides of the table... It don't work......

Keith

CCA is NOT anti-hatchery.

Just the opposite....

"If you don't kill them, they will spawn." (Carcassman)

The Keen Eye MD
Long Live the Kings!

#646950 - 12/22/10 03:15 AM Re: will selective com. fishing ruin sportfishing ? [Re: stlhdr1]
Fast and Furious Offline
River Nutrients

This really is a dead end road, you are going down.

I am beginning to wonder if something is going on in your life. Your misery index has gone way up during the holiday season.

#646954 - 12/22/10 03:40 AM Re: will selective com. fishing ruin sportfishing ? [Re: Fast and Furious]
stlhdr1 Offline
BUCK NASTY!!

I am beginning to wonder if something is going on in your life. Your misery index has gone way up during the holiday season.

Nothing going on at all, looking forward to the 25th for the celebration...

Face it, you're group doesn't support Hatchery Reform and if they did, they don't have say for [censored] that happens with hatcheries. Nice call... It's a [censored] cover up.........

Admit it LB, you're a fern sniffer..... CCA gonna support the spotted owl next?

Keith

#646955 - 12/22/10 03:42 AM Re: will selective com. fishing ruin sportfishing ? [Re: eyeFISH]
stlhdr1 Offline
BUCK NASTY!!

Originally Posted By: eyeFISH

Is CCA going to be a bunny hugger, fern sniffing group or are they going to support some hatchery plants so they can compensate for this "selective" fishing idea which is going to shortfund the sporties from hatchery fish?

What's it going to be? You can't survive on both sides of the table... It don't work......

Keith

CCA is NOT anti-hatchery.

Just the opposite....

Doc,

Don't preach that... Show me something where CCA has done something with Hatcheries in the CR.... Something that shows assistance in increasing their plants. CCA is a bunch of sportsman right, don't we want more hatchery fish, more opportunity?

But then again... ALL HATCHERY FISH MUST DIE!! You ever hear that one?

Keith

#646966 - 12/22/10 09:28 AM Re: will selective com. fishing ruin sportfishing ? [Re: stlhdr1]
Somethingsmellsf Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Ahhhhh, damn dog!
Originally Posted By: Somethingsmellsf

Like I said I will not get behind business as usual and expect a different result. I have no idea about your gut but doing nothing sure has not worked well for any of us, except the commercials!

Fishy

Here's your thought process... "Oh, let's do the little things that make a difference with CCA".... Got a new's flash for ya, it's not doing a thing except giving the commercials more hatchery fish, fish we'd have a chance to catch.... All to save a wild fish??? Well another new's flash, our wild fish aren't going to recover with switching the commercials up to "selective fishing"... thumbs

Keith

WOW! Thanks for telling me what my thought processes are and here I thought that my cognitive reasoning skills are a product of my past schooling and familial environment.

Three of us have shown you what CCA's position is and you still rail as if you alone hold the Holy Grail, you do not.
You and boater make quite a tag team and I can see that you are so blinded by your own rage and delusions that no amount of reasonable debate will ever seem to matter to you.

No amount of your railing and screaming will ever make me believe that people like LB, Doc or myself are trying to sell ourselves down the river.

Fishy

The idea of a middle class life is slowly drifting away as each and every day we realize that our nation is becoming more of a corporatacracy.

I think name-calling is the right way to handle this one/Dan S

We're here from the WDFW and we're here to help--Uhh Ohh!

#646971 - 12/22/10 10:12 AM Re: will selective com. fishing ruin sportfishing ? [Re: Somethingsmellsf]
boater Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: common sense ave.

No amount of your railing and screaming will ever make me believe that people like LB, Doc or myself are trying to sell ourselves down the river.

thats because common sense is something that you guys cant comprehend.

#646973 - 12/22/10 10:26 AM Re: will selective com. fishing ruin sportfishing ? [Re: boater]
SBD Offline
clown flocker

Loc: Water
http://www.nwr.noaa.gov/Salmon-Harvest-Hatcheries/Hatcheries/MA-EIS.cfm

http://www.nwr.noaa.gov/Salmon-Harvest-Hatcheries/Hatcheries/upload/MA-DEIS-FS.pdf

Might be a rumor but I heard CCA was the only major user group that didn't file a comment by the Dec 3rd deadline..

There's a sucker born every minute

#646978 - 12/22/10 11:14 AM Re: will selective com. fishing ruin sportfishing ? [Re: ]
Dan S. Offline
It all boils down to this - I'm right, everyone else is wrong, and anyone who disputes this is clearly a dumbfuck.

Loc: SE Olympia, WA
Originally Posted By: LB
and you probably alienate more people who were potential CCA members, than you have educated.

Typo fixed.

Bon Scott - Shot Down in Flames

#646982 - 12/22/10 11:47 AM Re: will selective com. fishing ruin sportfishing ? [Re: ]
Fast and Furious Offline
River Nutrients

Originally Posted By: AuntyM
Originally Posted By: boater

Sell that boat of yours yet like you've been threatening to do for years? rofl

He would if he could get the old woman across the street to sign off on the title.

#646986 - 12/22/10 12:07 PM Re: will selective com. fishing ruin sportfishing ? [Re: Fast and Furious]
boater Offline
Three Time Spawner

Originally Posted By: AuntyM

Sell that boat of yours yet like you've been threatening to do for years? rofl

He would if he could get the old woman across the street to sign off on the title.

sold it a few months ago, whats that got to do with this ?, just admit that you cant answer a common sense question

#647005 - 12/22/10 01:09 PM Re: will selective com. fishing ruin sportfishing ? [Re: boater]
Fast and Furious Offline
River Nutrients

sold it a few months ago, whats that got to do with this ?, just admit that you cant answer a common sense question

Congrats Boater! I heard they looked for a long time to find the right boat for the Gilligans Island remake.

#647006 - 12/22/10 01:11 PM Re: will selective com. fishing ruin sportfishing ? [Re: Fast and Furious]
stlhdr1 Offline
BUCK NASTY!!

No, fact is my [censored] meter is pegged...

Show me something that states CCA has done something with the hatcheries in the CR, supporting more hatchery fish for us all to catch! I can't find anything!

Hello... Anyone?

Keith

#647009 - 12/22/10 01:21 PM Re: will selective com. fishing ruin sportfishing ? [Re: stlhdr1]
Lucky Louie Offline
Carcass

It's simple. We can't have wild fish #'s that meet escapement through out the CR system and have sizeable hatchery plants too. So what's it going to be? What road are we headed down?

Keith

Keith It looks like your concerns to this point are:
1)ESA wild fish listed
2) Is it worth rebuilding wild stocks
3) hatchery plant cuts or increases
4)commercials could catch more hatchery fish with selective gear after tests

The feds hold the cards. 13 ESA wild stocks have been listed over the years , and evaluated individually for a plan of recovery so rebuilding wild stocks is a priority and out of your hands and in the feds.

The recent Columbia Basin Hatchery DEIS could have plant cuts if status quo isn’t selected which would again be controlled by the Feds.

The selective gear tested is being funded by the feds and the idea and process began in 2001 by the feds.

So let’s point you in the right direction to NMFS, NOAA and the U.S. Dept. of Commerce so you can start to direct your displaced anger to the right places. You could also attempt to be on a CR advisory board or join an organization that is involved in the process currently but that probably won’t happen because;
Displaced anger: This kind of anger is partially defensive. Displaced anger will not heal. It's expression may give temporary relief, but will be repeated over and over without healing---hence this same old fluff from you over and over again on this and other past threads.

No you can’t have my rights---I’m still using them

#647012 - 12/22/10 01:41 PM Re: will selective com. fishing ruin sportfishing ? [Re: Lucky Louie]
Todd Offline
Dick Nipples

Loc: Seattle, Washington USA
It's not displaced anger, it's perfectly placed anger...directed at an idea that will certainly decrease sportfishing opportunity, and somehow those promoting either accept that (along with the fish benefits), which is fine...or do what others do, which is fail to do even the simplest math...

The pie stays the same, the commercials catch more...we catch less.

This is not rocket science, but the math that some use to somehow end up at the conclusion that the commercials catch more and so do we are either incredibly ignorant about how LCR seasons work, or are willfully sticking their head in the sand just waiting for another "victory" to put on the list, no matter how un-victorious it turns out to be.

Fish on...

Todd

Team Flying Super Ditch Pickle

#647013 - 12/22/10 01:46 PM Re: will selective com. fishing ruin sportfishing ? [Re: Lucky Louie]
stlhdr1 Offline
BUCK NASTY!!

Originally Posted By: Lucky Louie

It's simple. We can't have wild fish #'s that meet escapement through out the CR system and have sizeable hatchery plants too. So what's it going to be? What road are we headed down?

Keith

Keith It looks like your concerns to this point are:
1)ESA wild fish listed
2) Is it worth rebuilding wild stocks
3) hatchery plant cuts or increases
4)commercials WILL catch more hatchery fish with selective gear after tests

The feds hold the cards. 13 ESA wild stocks have been listed over the years , and evaluated individually for a plan of recovery so rebuilding wild stocks is a priority and out of your hands and in the feds.

The recent Columbia Basin Hatchery DEIS could have plant cuts if status quo isn’t selected which would again be controlled by the Feds.

The selective gear tested is being funded by the feds and the idea and process began in 2001 by the feds.

So let’s point you in the right direction to NMFS, NOAA and the U.S. Dept. of Commerce so you can start to direct your displaced anger to the right places. You could also attempt to be on a CR advisory board or join an organization that is involved in the process currently but that probably won’t happen because;
Displaced anger: This kind of anger is partially defensive. Displaced anger will not heal. It's expression may give temporary relief, but will be repeated over and over without healing---hence this same old fluff from you over and over again on this and other past threads.

You stated the obvious with 1-4, except I fixed #4 for you...

You can call it anger, but I'd prefer to call it as it is. I'm frustrated as all get out that an organization would support giving the commercials more hatchery fish...

But what's the point of the CCA in the LCR if you're telling me the feds control all of it?

What groups supported the recent Columbia Basin Hatchery DEIS?

Keith

#647023 - 12/22/10 02:01 PM Re: will selective com. fishing ruin sportfishing ? [Re: ]
Fast and Furious Offline
River Nutrients

Originally Posted By: Kanektok Kid
Todd hates America......................................

and the CCA, Gary Loomis

And WSU

#647032 - 12/22/10 02:40 PM Re: will selective com. fishing ruin sportfishing ? [Re: boater]
boater Offline
Three Time Spawner

to bad you do gooder 25 dollar fisheries experts cant put up a logical explanation about how this new commercial method with a lower release mortality rate wont effect sportfishing.

you 25 dollar experts going to answer ?

Page 8 of 21 < 1 2 ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... 20 21 >

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
CHUBS
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
1 registered (Carcassman), 1080 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13521
eyeFISH 12766
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63773 Topics
645302 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |