THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#648585 - 12/28/10 06:40 PM Rod wrapper advice?
AP a.k.a. Kaiser D Offline
Hippie

Loc: B'ham
For several reasons, I'm committed to wrapping my own rods from here out. I've built a few spinning rods in my youth but haven't made anything since.

In looking around, there are a wide variety of rod wrapper and "rod wrapping systems". The very basic ones (which is similar to what I used years ago) are simple wood stands with a tension adjustable thread holder and cost $20 to $40. A low RPM drying motor is usally sold separately as is the rod chuck.

Then there are the higher-end complete kits for $200 to $300.

Does anyone have any positive or negative experiences with any particular models or have any advice when it comes to cobbling a cheaper one together or buying a diamond-encrusted Cadillac model that can give BJ's while I wrap?

-AP?

#648606 - 12/28/10 07:31 PM Re: Rod wrapper advice? [Re: AP a.k.a. Kaiser D]
Peterman Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: West Seattle
I picked up one those flex coat kits on ebay a few years ago. Comes with stands, motor, and a few tools. Think I got it for around $100. The utmost folks hooked me up with a piece of old blank and some coarse sand paper to make a reamer, which was nice.

Unless you intend on becoming a rod building maniac I'd stay around, or under, $100 at least. You could probably get by for about $50 if you made your own stands and 'thread distribution and tensioning system'. Could probably fabricate something in an hour or two.

But then again sometimes buying a kit package is cheaper than the sum of the parts.

#648615 - 12/28/10 07:54 PM Re: Rod wrapper advice? [Re: Peterman]
Salmo g. Online   content
River Nutrients

I've never seen a need for a rod wrapper. I put the rod winding thread of choice in a fly tying bobbin, hold it in my fly tying vise, and wind away. A rod drying setup would be nice, cuz I just set rod sections in a box that has Vee grooves cut in it and rotate the sections a quarter turn every 15 minutes. I've thought of cobbling one together with an old BBQ rotisserie motor but haven't gotten around to it. However, I could change my mind about all this if the high end model really offers BJs while you wrap.

Sg

#648619 - 12/28/10 08:04 PM Re: Rod wrapper advice? [Re: AP a.k.a. Kaiser D]
What Offline
Spawner

Wrapping your own rods is the only way to go, for many reasons... You'll be stoked in short order.

I had used a couple of different brand wrappers up until about three years ago. Not liking one or more things about the others, I built the one I have now for under $100. All pieces were purchased at Home Depot, except for the drying motors/chucks from Cabelas.
(I don't wrap under power so it has no footpedal run rod chuck.)
With the dual motors it's capable of turning two portions when finish working, has dual thread carriages, and will handle 2 pc. rods up to 14'.

After a couple hundred rods it still works great, although contemplating some slight modifications this Winter if time permits.

Good luck.

#648620 - 12/28/10 08:07 PM Re: Rod wrapper advice? [Re: Salmo g.]
Castaway Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Sequim, WA
Been wrapping with a Forecast Wrap Machine for 8 years solid now. Can't begin to tell you how many rods have been built on that thing. A small $300 dollar investment that I've only replaced a $2 belt on. Its the addiction that cost the money!!!

#648634 - 12/28/10 08:40 PM Re: Rod wrapper advice? [Re: What]
big o Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: bothell
Originally Posted By: rvrfshr

although contemplating some slight modifications this Winter if time permits.

Good luck.

You should probably get on that asap... make it easier for everyone else who has to use that thing

#648643 - 12/28/10 09:14 PM Re: Rod wrapper advice? [Re: big o]
SRoffe Offline
Spawner

I did the lazy thing and bought a kit too. I think it was the Flex Coat kit from Shoff Tackle. They're crazy easy to make. Finishing up Rod 2. Rod 1 still needs to be fished.

#648657 - 12/28/10 10:14 PM Re: Rod wrapper advice? [Re: AP a.k.a. Kaiser D]
Kinetic Kwik Offline
Spawner

Loc: sum x wet,sum x dry WA 4 Life

#648673 - 12/28/10 11:17 PM Re: Rod wrapper advice? [Re: AP a.k.a. Kaiser D]
SundayMoney Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Everett
If I was selling rods,I might consider a power wrapper. I'm never in a hurry to get a rod wrapped ASAP so wrapping by hand works fine for me.

I'm as low tech as it gets. I put the spool of thread in a coffee cup,and lay a book on top of the thread for tension.

I made the drying motor out of a rotisserie motor from Home Depot.

#648680 - 12/28/10 11:30 PM Re: Rod wrapper advice? [Re: SundayMoney]
Chum Man Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Yelmish
if i did fancy work or sold my rods, i'd get one of the power wrappers, mainly because i built mine for $10 and it's pretty crude. the rods i build are functional first and attractive at a distant second, but the finished quality is as good as almost anything you'd find on a rack at the store.

i'd recommend getting one of the kits if you're just starting out, it makes things a lot easier. no need for anything expensive.

#648688 - 12/28/10 11:46 PM Re: Rod wrapper advice? [Re: Chum Man]
oneeyedgoat Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: maple valley
Made a few rods back in the day,, made a small wood stand with a vee in the top lind with felt and would drag the thred throught a big book, more pages the tighter the thread would be, worked great. thinkin of trying it again reading all this....... good luck.. and its something to be said to catch a fish on your own rod....

#648701 - 12/29/10 12:29 AM Re: Rod wrapper advice? [Re: oneeyedgoat]
slow-drifter Offline
Parr

I just stumbled onto this. still laughing because I just finished wrapping my first rod about ten minutes ago. used mouse traps for thread tension, a box with grooves and my dughters hair bands for holding the blank, and the clamp from my fly vise to hold everything to the dining room table. completely cobbled together and cost me $1.39 for the traps. I see more builds in the near future, and I wont change my setup at all. adds to the fun of it

#648731 - 12/29/10 07:41 AM Re: Rod wrapper advice? [Re: slow-drifter]
Twitch Offline
The Beav

Loc: Oregon Central Coast
Aaron,

Here is the one I made up while bored one afternoon many many years ago...

Take a broken, cheap a$$ piece of college furniture, cut it into a bunch of pieces on a table saw. Find 2 thread tensioners at a craft store, an old arrow for a smooth thread guide, a handful of sheet rock screws, 1/4" bolts, and a few wing nuts... total cost = $10, total time involved, 2 hrs.

Attachments
Wrapper resize.jpg

wrapper turner resize.jpg

#648750 - 12/29/10 10:20 AM Re: Rod wrapper advice? [Re: Twitch]
superfly Offline
The Renegade White Man

Loc: The Coast or the Keys !!!
Twitch, you have to much time on your hands my friend !!!

Arron, I will call you later today with some words of advice and a phone number for you ...........

Peace
Fly

360-888-7772

Stay Tuned for upcoming Hunts & Fishing info...........

New website & Channel Dropping soon !

Stay tuned for Turkey, Bear & Deer Hunts Along with Guided Sport Fishing.

Book Release Prior to Christmas 2021

#648753 - 12/29/10 10:34 AM Re: Rod wrapper advice? [Re: superfly]
rowmanholiday Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: SW Washington
Very nice, Twitch!

#648758 - 12/29/10 11:03 AM Re: Rod wrapper advice? [Re: rowmanholiday]
WaFlyCaster Offline
Juvenile at Sea

I bought a decent but very simple rod wrapper and supports set up on E-Bay for around $25-30 ... supports are made out of nice white pine instead of press board. Came with thread tensioners which were a little tricky to use compared to the others I had used in brand name setups, but it works fine when set up correctly. I also bought a drying motor and rod chuck on e-bay for much cheaper than listed on any of the other retailers. So far built 2 new and rebuilt 3-4 rods.. Works great. Probably have $50 into the whole set up for wrapper/supports, drying motor, and rod chuck.

#648760 - 12/29/10 11:05 AM Re: Rod wrapper advice? [Re: rowmanholiday]
Rivrguy Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Somewhere on the planet,I hope
AP several are around and most are similar. I went with Pac Bay and it has done OK as it is better at it than I am.

#648784 - 12/29/10 12:23 PM Re: Rod wrapper advice? [Re: Rivrguy]
STRIKE ZONE Offline
GOOD LUCK

Loc: Hobart,Wa U.S.A
I haven't wrapped my rod since I got married,It's a good feeling when ya know your rod's safe.Just sayin.Good luck,
SZ

#648795 - 12/29/10 12:43 PM Re: Rod wrapper advice? [Re: STRIKE ZONE]
Brewer Offline

Loc: in the mass production zone
my system is pretty primative, have done maybe 20ish rods on it. however i've bumped up to a much nicer system. didn't pay a dime for it. barrowed it fron a guy on another BB site... i just never returned it. i've owned now for about a year or longer.

#648798 - 12/29/10 12:50 PM Re: Rod wrapper advice? [Re: Brewer]
AP a.k.a. Kaiser D Offline
Hippie

Loc: B'ham
Nice, SZ! I agree. rofl

Brewer, do you mind if I borrow the one you borrowed. wink

Thanks to everyone for the advice. Based on this thread, I'm going to keep it simple and probably just built something myself.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
3Gonads, herm
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
3 registered (Carcassman, Salmo g., 1 invisible), 1070 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13521
eyeFISH 12766
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63773 Topics
645299 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |