THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Page 15 of 21 < 1 2 ... 13 14 15 16 17 ... 20 21 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#648115 - 12/26/10 08:18 PM Re: will selective com. fishing ruin sportfishing ? [Re: stlhdr1]
boater Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: common sense ave.
Originally Posted By: stlhdr1
Originally Posted By: Lead Bouncer
Whether they use allocation impacts or not, there are only so many fish the commercials can catch. They do not take priority over sport harvest.

That law hasn't been written yet.. If they switch to "selective" nets, there will be some new rules to deals with.. Call it a hunch, but they WANT THE HATCHERY FISH OUT OF THE RIVER and the SPORTSMAN can't do it....

Can you WRAP YOUR MIND AROUND THAT?

Keith zip

keith, i dont think he realizes that the reason this new commercial gear is being tested is to get more hatchery fish out of the system.

#648116 - 12/26/10 08:23 PM Re: will selective com. fishing ruin sportfishing ? [Re: boater]
Todd Offline
Dick Nipples

Loc: Seattle, Washington USA
Originally Posted By: boater

keith, i dont think he realizes that the reason this new commercial gear is being tested is to get more hatchery fish out of the system.

I agree, and a lot of folks have a hard time internalizing it...which is odd, because every single press release comes right out and says it...the whole point is to give the commercial fleet "access to more hatchery fish"...with the occasional passing reference to some possible and vague benefits to wild fish.

The commercials know why they're doing it...the States know why they're doing it...the Feds know why they're doing it...most sportsmen know why they're doing it...there's only one group of folks out there that is in some odd state of denial that doesn't allow them to actually evaluate their position, just entrench behind it deeper.

Fish on...

Todd

Team Flying Super Ditch Pickle

#648118 - 12/26/10 08:48 PM Re: will selective com. fishing ruin sportfishing ? [Re: Todd]
Lucky Louie Offline
Carcass

Originally Posted By: Todd

I agree, and a lot of folks have a hard time internalizing it...which is odd, because every single press release comes right out and says it...the whole point is to give the commercial fleet "access to more hatchery fish"...with the occasional passing reference to some possible and vague benefits to wild fish.

The commercials know why they're doing it...the States know why they're doing it...the Feds know why they're doing it...most sportsmen know why they're doing it...there's only one group of folks out there that is in some odd state of denial that doesn't allow them to actually evaluate their position, just entrench behind it deeper.

Fish on...

Todd

I've been talking about the possibility of 12X more hatchery fish being caught months ago. Am I undershooting the estimate?

No you can’t have my rights---I’m still using them

#648122 - 12/26/10 08:59 PM Re: will selective com. fishing ruin sportfishing ? [Re: SBD]
Fast and Furious Offline
River Nutrients

Originally Posted By: SBD
"It's almost like some special interests who is primarily responsible for killing 80% of the CR salmon and steelhead population, started a sportfishing group that's really just a smoke screen to divert attention away from what really needs fixing. "

Bingo...!!!

CCA helped remove two dams in Maine and built hatcheries for Redfish in other states.

http://www.joincca.org/Accomplishments.html
Secured 2.5 million from Bath Iron Works to remove Edwards Dam on Kennebec River, Maine 1997
Successfully raised $450,000 in cash and in-kind donations to purchase and remove the Smelt Hill Dam (Maine 2001).
Led successful national effort to keep open-loop LNG terminals out of Gulf of Mexico (National 2006).
Instrumental in support of an Executive Order signed by the President ensuring federal agencies will manage recreational angling as a sustainable activity in all federal waters, including marine protected areas (CCA National 2008).

John Wilson Hatchery Texas 1981
SeaCenter Texas Hatchery Texas 1996
Worked through state legislature and private foundations to continue critical funding for Florida’s state saltwater hatchery, resulting in the 1,000,000th redfish fingerling released in Florida waters (Florida 2001).
Instrumental in the effort to secure tideland funds for speckled trout hatchery (Mississippi 2004).
Helped establish the first-ever hatchery for southern flounder (North Carolina 2005).
Funded $700,000 for construction of a state-of-the-art marine larviculture research lab (Texas 2007).

How about you?

#648124 - 12/26/10 09:04 PM Re: will selective com. fishing ruin sportfishing ? [Re: Lucky Louie]
Lucky Louie Offline
Carcass

Todd,
Before that we were saying that more hatchery fish would be caught and that would be shared between the commercials and sports. You disagreed then and as far as I'm concern you are still wrong today as you were a year ago.

Edited by Lucky Louie (12/26/10 09:05 PM)

#648125 - 12/26/10 09:05 PM Re: will selective com. fishing ruin sportfishing ? [Re: Todd]
Fast and Furious Offline
River Nutrients

Todd,

Still waiting to hear your new plan for gillnets in the CR, including tribal nets.

Not interested in what you WONT DO. We already know that.

#648127 - 12/26/10 09:08 PM Re: will selective com. fishing ruin sportfishing ? [Re: Fast and Furious]
SBD Offline
clown flocker

Loc: Water
Bet you could trace alot of these projects right back to the oil and gas/power industry, remember they have impacts on fish too, it's not just fishing. NMFS has to calculate all take, wether it be logging, sealions, dam's or an offshore drilling rig it all has to be included, what we get to fish on is just the tail end of what's left.

There's a sucker born every minute

#648128 - 12/26/10 09:09 PM Re: will selective com. fishing ruin sportfishing ? [Re: Fast and Furious]
boater Offline
Three Time Spawner

Originally Posted By: Lead Bouncer
Todd,

Still waiting to hear your new plan for gillnets in the CR, including tribal nets.

what plan do you have in the works that will get non-tribal gillnets off of the columbia ??

#648132 - 12/26/10 09:21 PM Re: will selective com. fishing ruin sportfishing ? [Re: Lucky Louie]
boater Offline
Three Time Spawner

Originally Posted By: Lucky Louie

Todd,
Before that we were saying that more hatchery fish would be caught and that would be shared between the commercials and sports. You disagreed then and as far as I'm concern you are still wrong today as you were a year ago.

todd is correct

#648135 - 12/26/10 09:29 PM Re: will selective com. fishing ruin sportfishing ? [Re: boater]
Lucky Louie Offline
Carcass

Todd,

todd is correct

If your aren't the same person then both of you are wrong.

d) Continue moving away from allocation-based fishery management to objective-based fishery management. This shift allows solutions that may improve both fisheries, rather than improving one fishery at the expense of another. This approach will require both sides to concede some ground on their stated positions in order to gain actual improvements in their fisheries. It will also require investment of additional resources in commercial fishery infrastructure and several years’ patience to implement changes.

#648139 - 12/26/10 09:44 PM Re: will selective com. fishing ruin sportfishing ? [Re: Lucky Louie]
Todd Offline
Dick Nipples

I can read just fine...that's just not how it's going to work out.

LB, my plan is the same one that it's always been...get the non-tribal commercial fishing industry completely and utterly out of the Columbia River...for once and for all.

Fish on...

Todd

#648142 - 12/26/10 09:46 PM Re: will selective com. fishing ruin sportfishing ? [Re: Lucky Louie]
boater Offline
Three Time Spawner

your wrong

#648145 - 12/26/10 09:53 PM Re: will selective com. fishing ruin sportfishing ? [Re: boater]
boater Offline
Three Time Spawner

we should set up a meeting over this issue, after 40 plus years of salmon fishing a few of you are the first to tell me that if the commercials get more fish it will make sportfishing better, and to top it off, you are serious rofl

#648147 - 12/26/10 09:58 PM Re: will selective com. fishing ruin sportfishing ? [Re: Todd]
Lucky Louie Offline
Carcass

LB, my plan is the same one that it's always been...get the non-tribal commercial fishing industry completely and utterly out of the Columbia River...for once and for all.

Fish on...

Todd

Interesting that you use and believe in press releases and articles but not the Columbia River Sport and Commercial Spring Chinook Fisheries:
Objectives and Strategies for Near- and Long-Term Management

http://wdfw.wa.gov/commission/policies/c3617_attch1.pdf

#648152 - 12/26/10 10:03 PM Re: will selective com. fishing ruin sportfishing ? [Re: Todd]
Fast and Furious Offline
River Nutrients

Fish on...

Todd

Excellent.
That would save a few wild fish in the lower river tribs.
I can't find the press release, so how will we get that done?

Advocacy? moose

#648153 - 12/26/10 10:07 PM Re: will selective com. fishing ruin sportfishing ? [Re: Fast and Furious]
Todd Offline
Dick Nipples

Yes...but not advocating for something that will further entrench the commercial fishery.

Fish on...

Todd

#648156 - 12/26/10 10:12 PM Re: will selective com. fishing ruin sportfishing ? [Re: boater]
Lucky Louie Offline
Carcass

we should set up a meeting over this issue, after 40 plus years of salmon fishing a few of you are the first to tell me that if the commercials get more fish it will make sportfishing better, and to top it off, you are serious rofl

I wish you would pay attention I posted this earlier today.
More than 28,000 more fish projected per year to catch over the 10 year average when Selective live capture begins.
Page 14 of this thread if you want to read the whole thing.

Ten year avg. sports have access to 18,488 harvestable salmon X2 ½ =46,220 for sports a considerable amount more fish to catch considering the future success of commercial selective live capture. We also have to consider that some years the maximum fish available to harvest wasn’t achieved due to fishery closures because of high incidental impact being hit to early.

Edited by Lucky Louie (12/26/10 10:17 PM)

#648157 - 12/26/10 10:16 PM Re: will selective com. fishing ruin sportfishing ? [Re: Todd]
SBD Offline
clown flocker

Loc: Water
Actually if you read Oregon Attorney Generals interpretation of CCA's ballot measure this was exactly the intent, problem is they did such a good job of bullshiting everyone including WDFW's Miranda now their stuck with a mess they don't even have an answer for. Little Boys shouldn't play with fire you know..

Edited by SBD (12/26/10 10:20 PM)

There's a sucker born every minute

#648158 - 12/26/10 10:24 PM Re: will selective com. fishing ruin sportfishing ? [Re: boater]
Lucky Louie Offline
Carcass

your wrong

Twins rofl

#648159 - 12/26/10 10:26 PM Re: will selective com. fishing ruin sportfishing ? [Re: Lucky Louie]
boater Offline
Three Time Spawner

I wish you would pay attention I posted this earlier today.
More than 28,000 more fish projected per year to catch over the 10 year average when Selective live capture begins.
Page 14 of this thread if you want to read the whole thing.

your basing that on the assumption that all the up river tribes will go to a new fishing method like the colvilles, that aint going to happen.

Page 15 of 21 < 1 2 ... 13 14 15 16 17 ... 20 21 >

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Cam, FisherJoe, Gettin-It-Wet, Krijack, Steelheadstalker
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1450 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63779 Topics
645378 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |