Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#651774 - 01/08/11 07:27 PM Steely Creeper Jigs
NickD90 Offline
Shooting Instructor for hire

Loc: Snohomish, WA
So I decided to post this thread here instead of on the bug board - because these little babies are really meant to be winter fished tipped with some prawn under a float...or at least that's what I tied em' up for. One could easily toss these with a 7 - 8 wt. flyrod and the right head.

I've dubbed this new jig "The Steely Creeper". It's an adaptation of a much smaller still water trout fly called the "Olive Creeper" which is just dy-no-mite if any dragon / damsel fly nymphs are present. This is a great and super fast jig to tie if you don't have the time to mess with standard jigs. The added bonus of this pattern is that you can use any standard egg hook (4 - 1/0); the eye / head never chips and the extra large egg hook gap allows for plenty of room for tipping w/ prawn and still leaves lots of "sticky" ready and waiting for the take. They are also MUCH cheaper than standard jigs. Depending on the size, up they weight anywhere from 1/16 - 1/8 oz.

They can be tied in any hot steely color you like - the combo's are only limited to your imagination. I like to add in 3 - 4 small strips of "Edge Bright" into the marabou tail. When turned on it's side, Edge Bright lights up much like fiber optics. It's just amazing stuff in low viz conditions or when the river just begins to drop.

I'll also sometimes throw in glow-in-the-dark Flashabou in the tail for low light situations (the nightmare below has it if you look very closely). I haven't written down the recipe or taken pics of the step by step process to tie this jig because it really is so simple. If someone is interested in the details, please send me a PM.

Also - I would very much like to start-up a fly swap on the F&F board if anyone is interested (calling Twitch!)

Pink Steely Creeper:

Purple Steely Creeper:

Orange Steely Creeper:

Nightmare Steely Creeper:

Green and Red Steely Creeper:

and my favorite...
Green n' Glow Bead Steely Creeper:

and in the dark...

Note that all have been tied on those colored Gami's which are just too spendy and darn pretty to drift with. I find these hooks to add a just bit more to the overall look of the jig. Warning - some of these can get "loud" and scare the crap outta summer fish in low, clear water. In that case, down size the hook and move to natural blacks, browns and olives and natural colored beads (which is just really the same, original pattern that's used in still water for trout).

Enjoy and tight lines,

NickD90

Edited by NickD90 (01/08/11 09:06 PM)

#651914 - 01/08/11 11:21 PM Re: Steely Creeper Jigs [Re: NickD90]
bankbum Offline
Spawner

i have tied up versions of these in the past and have done quite well.

yours look great

#651968 - 01/09/11 04:16 AM Re: Steely Creeper Jigs [Re: bankbum]
Tillanook Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Oregon
These are interesting jigs, do you use scented eggs for the dropper?

#652017 - 01/09/11 01:37 PM Re: Steely Creeper Jigs [Re: Tillanook]
metaladdiction Offline
Returning Adult

Those look fishy. BTW welcome to the board. Looks like you've come on in full force.

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Dick laxton, Lil Blue Sled, Lil Red Sled, Solash, The Moderator, WeServe
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
2 registered (wolverine, steely slammer), 1335 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63779 Topics
645377 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |