Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#65199 - 03/16/02 01:22 AM sturgeon in swafford pond
Wernergonefishin Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Chehalis Wa
I was told by one of the bait and tackle stores that there has been sturgeon planted in swafford pond just out side of mossyrock.Has anyone fished for them or is this even true. Ive fished riffelake for 20yrs and never seen any sturgeon being cuaght over there. Anyone fish riffe lake would like to maybe trade a couple storys laugh

#65200 - 03/16/02 04:48 AM Re: sturgeon in swafford pond
Metalhead Mojo Offline
Spawner

Loc: Browns Point
ive fished swafford pond a few times, its choked full of weeds with tons of stunted sunfish and a few rainbows. its very shallow and muddy, ive never heard or seen anything about sturgeon out of that lake...it sounds to me like some dis-information to lead you away from someones favorite spot, maybe riffe lake??? i would believe if someone had caught carp out of swafford, maybe they had mistaked a carp for a sturgeon then passed that along to the guy at the store??

#65201 - 03/16/02 09:47 AM Re: sturgeon in swafford pond
Stadle Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Seattle Area
Swafford has catfish also. If there are sturgeon in there it is because some buffon decided it would be fun to put a few in there and I wouldn't think there would be enough in there to fish for them...
If your after sturgeon this is a good time to be on the lower columbia chasing them around or when the rivers flood is another good time to chase them on smaller systems. Try the chehalis river.

#65202 - 03/16/02 03:34 PM Re: sturgeon in swafford pond
Trout Master Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Edmonds
The game dept has planted some small 12" white sturgen in lakes in e.wash. To see if they will help control the sunfish. So it may be possible!

#65203 - 03/18/02 01:07 PM Re: sturgeon in swafford pond
Stacie L. Kelsey Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Vancouver
We did put sturgeon in the pond - but if they (us) said it was to control sunfish that is a pretty lame reason because they aren't going to do that.

There is a misconception that sturgeon are used to clean ponds and hatchery raceways and control small fish species and that's just not reality.

The fact is more likely that the person who put them in there wanted to see how they would do in the pond as a way to create a new type of fishery.

The water quality in this lake is horrible and I know that there are groups looking at ways to control the problem. If I had to make a suggestion it would be to use Endothall. This is what we used in Kress Lake. It targets only milfoil, does not harm fish or wildlife or people (although there is a mandatory water closure for a few days) and is VERY effective. Another alternative is grass carp.

The alternative that I have heard mentioned, that I do not like at all, is to drain the pond. That puts the warmwater fish, stunted or not, at too much of a risk for loss - although I would go in and remove as many as possible - this lake is a good water for our channel cats.

I will be sampling this water in May to see what is going on with the sunfish/catfish and figure out what we can do to get the warmwater fish back on the right track.

smile

stace

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Bob, Mike Abbott
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
3 registered (Mr.Twister, stonefish, 1 invisible), 489 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 27837
Dan S. 16958
Sol Duc 15727
The Moderator 13941
Salmo g. 13394
eyeFISH 12606
STRIKE ZONE 11969
Dogfish 10878
ParaLeaks 10363
Jerry Garcia 9013
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63787 Topics
645455 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |