Three Rivers Marine

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#65316 - 03/21/02 04:15 PM Fishing Ethics
Stacie L. Kelsey Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Vancouver
What would you consider good fishing ethics? List anything that comes to mind.

smile

stace

#65317 - 03/21/02 04:25 PM Re: Fishing Ethics
Micro Brew Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Normandy Park
Common courtesy!

Give people plenty of room on a lake. Don't cut them off and don't travel too close behind. On some small lakes this can be difficult, apologize if you screw up.

On rivers, take notice of the direction people are moving. Don't fish water that they are moving into or until you determine their direction of working the moving water.

Don't move into a "hot" spot and push the other person out. You could always ask if they mind if you move into area.

I fish smaller rivers for trout and lakes with a float tube / pontoon boat, so I really can't address the line up on rivers when the salmon / steelhead are moving.

Offer tips, but only if asked.

Courtesy and consideration is the key.

#65318 - 03/21/02 05:44 PM Re: Fishing Ethics
Banock Offline
Parr

Loc: Oakville, Wa.
One thing that pops into my mind, is if you are bank fishing at a boat launch, PLEASE don't block the ramps, we have had it happen numerous times that bank fishers are sitting between the ramps with their lines in front of them, this results in the boaters not having any place to land their boats.
For boaters, have everything ready before you back the trailer down the ramp, this makes for a speedy launch and makes everyone happier.
Take your trash with you. This includes old line, hooks, everything.
Watch your casts when in a crowded area.
Offer to help someone if they need it.

Another subject that needs consideration, might be boater ethics, this is a subject that also needs to be approached. I have several pages of etiquette on my web site that might help a little, have a great day.
Banock

#65319 - 03/21/02 05:49 PM Re: Fishing Ethics
HBP Offline
Spawner

Loc: Everett,Wa
1. promote the sport of fishing,regardless of teqnique.
2. keep only the fish you plan to eat while fresh.
3. respect private property.
4. respect other anglers rights.
5. don't trash our waters.
6. observe fishing and boating regs.
7. pass on knowledge and angling skills.
8. take somebody fishing that otherwise would'nt go.
9. match your equipment to your quarry.
10. DON'T TEACH YOUR KIDS TO FLYFISH! laugh

P.S. #4 and #10 are for you fishnfellaS

- no boss, no clock, no stress, no dress code...no shoes,no shirts, no problems. - Kenny Chesney -

#65320 - 03/21/02 06:46 PM Re: Fishing Ethics
FishnfellaS Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Grand Coulee,Wa. 99133
Hey HBP: Pretty good post but.......
Rights are earned by responsible behavior. NO ONE has inherent rights.

Respect is earned by always doing the right thing....in this case for
the lake and its fish....not necessairly for other fishermen who disregard
rules,laws, and sportsmanship. Though I agree with Microbrew we could use
some lessons from each other in re consideration for other people too.

And #10 is cute....I like that.
Mommas, don't let your babies grow up to be flyfishermen. Good one. wink

#65321 - 03/21/02 09:54 PM Re: Fishing Ethics
Edfireball Offline
Eyed Egg

Loc: Oakville, WA
Many things come to mind concerning ethics. Most are already covered by the other posts. I think that respecting other fishermen is one that is really lacking. Whether in a boat or on the bank, courtesy is deserved for all people. Of course, cleaning up after yourself, and if need be, cleaning up after the person that may have been there before you and was not as responsible. Together we can make it work. You cannot force people to be responsible, but enforcement or even the presence of enforcement may prod some people in the right direction.

#65322 - 03/21/02 09:59 PM Re: Fishing Ethics
Banock Offline
Parr

Loc: Oakville, Wa.
Stacie,
I'll volunteer fireball and myself to help if you need us, he lives across the road from me and is my best friend.
Banock

#65323 - 03/21/02 10:02 PM Re: Fishing Ethics
Edfireball Offline
Eyed Egg

Loc: Oakville, WA
Oops, so much for keeping a low profile. Yes, Stacie, I am willing to help!!! Just let Banock know and he will throw a rock at my window to get my attention.

#65324 - 03/21/02 10:34 PM Re: Fishing Ethics
TRAUT Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: HIDING
Not necessarily an "ethical" issue, but related - TAKE YOUR KIDS FISHING - If you don't have children, volunteer to take someone else's, i.e nieces, nephews, neighbors etc. Aside from introducing a new generation to the sport, I find that I'm less likely to act like a jerk if there are kids around. You know the "set the good example" stuff. Children will also tend to teach you a little patience, which actually can work when dealing with some adults!!

#65325 - 03/22/02 02:25 PM Re: Fishing Ethics
Stacie L. Kelsey Offline
Returning Adult

You guys are a long way from Vancouver aren't you??

I am trying to gather all the info here that has been suggested on ethics - which would be a good class- and on what types of fishing.

I know there has to be tons of fishing groups out there as well, so I think we could make some really great classes. Especially if we can do them at the beginning of summer.

Thanks guys!

#65326 - 03/22/02 04:51 PM Re: Fishing Ethics
Trout Master Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Edmonds
#1. Look behind you before you back cast
#2. If HBP is behind you make sure your back cast is accurate.
#3. Find fishing buddy's like Micro brew,Fishingfella , to fish with.
#4. Dont tell the name of your secret lakes.
laugh

#65327 - 03/25/02 04:37 PM Re: Fishing Ethics
Trout Master Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Edmonds
After this past weekends trip to a lake that is not so secret anymore, The crowd was HUGE. This was mostly inpart due to a flyfishing club coming out in force. The parking lot was packed. And there was just to many people on the lake. It looked like a marina. I just think clubs should maybe break into groups and go at different times. Thats my 2 cents worth.

#65328 - 03/25/02 05:11 PM Re: Fishing Ethics
Downriggin Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Marine Area 13
Good ol' common courtesy will get you along ways...

I hate it when I am swinging the two-hander and someone walks in downstream... AARRRRRGGGG mad
Happened to me on the Mixer.. Fortunately the Old Timers got to him before I did... (quality entertainment!)

Teaching kids to fly fish? Man, that takes patience (very little here- as evidence by the gray hairs) However, my 7 year old daughter ties a mean Sttelie fly.... Watch out fellas...

Downriggin'

Puget Sound Anglers, Gig Harbor Chapter

#65329 - 03/29/02 08:43 AM Re: Fishing Ethics
Arklier Offline
Returning Adult

There's one thing that never fails to annoy me: boaters who cut too close in front of the fishing pier when coming in or going out. The bow or prop of a boat can easily cut or tangle fishing lines, resulting in lost fish and tackle, and frayed tempers. There's usually plenty of water to go around the pier without endangering peoples' gear.

#65330 - 03/31/02 10:27 PM Re: Fishing Ethics
Sparse Grey Hackle Offline
Alevin

Loc: Seattle, WA
confused
Trout Master. Your hypothesis regarding the downfall of the secret lake is incorrect. The flyfishing club only brought 6 of its members, each which were unaware of the lake's whereabouts until one or two days before the trip. They had already signed up and were given notice at last minute. I know, because I ran the show. Only half that number stayed for the full swing "County Fair" atmosphere that Sunday brought. As I waited for my bout of night fishing I was able to speak to a good deal of anglers. They were coming from all over the place in 2's and 3's; Bellingham, Wenatchee, Moses Lake, Urban Seattle, etc.. There was no rhyme or reason to their presence. I counted 15 vehicles in the lot. If you are looking for the source of the blame, I think that a certain internet savvy person from Sultan put the K-
bosh on this thing.

#65331 - 03/31/02 10:32 PM Re: Fishing Ethics
Easy Limits Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Nisqually
Help your fishing/boater comrad when in need of help. Whether it be a tow or help at the launch. cool

#65332 - 04/01/02 05:39 PM Re: Fishing Ethics
ltlCLEO Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: brownsville wa.
I don't fish populated fishing locations too often but when I do I treat the sport in a way that portrays my deep love for it.

I leave other fishermen that want to be left alone,alone.But I am usually willing to help out a fellow fishermen that needs help or direction.This could be friendly advice or tying up a rig.I love setting young kids up with a set up that I know will work.I often step back and let other fishermen have the room to have fun,I am rarely that caught up with catching a fish and love watching others enjoy the catching part of our sport.If somebody feels the need to be rude I have been known to set them straight.I treat others as I would want to be treated but do understand that the rest of the world does not necessarily think and feel the same as me,this is America for gods sake!

I am a catch and release fisherman 90% of the year and teach that as a reasonably as I can.When appropriate I let people know that I use single barbless hooks and catch more fish and am able to release more, to catch later,and preserve our fisheries, because of it.

Alot of people do not spend as much time as others being in the know about our fisheries and helping them out with knowledge of our fisheries is usually greatly appreciated.It is hard to keep up with all that is happening in our fisheries and I try to keep that in mind when dealing with other fishermen.

I do not tolerate people in the know abusing our fisheries,whether that be turning them into law enforcement or plain letting them know what they are doing wrong and giving them the choice of changing there ways or leaving my presence.We do not have sufficient law enforcement and people not in love with our sport will abuse a good thing if left unchallenged.This is always governed by the law not emotions.I do not fish fisheries that I know will contridict with my feelings but are legal.It is not my job to chastise somebody for doing something that is legal.

I never turn down the oportunity to take a kid fishing.I love watching,remembering the inosence and encouraging our young to take up our sport.I am afraid now that we are on the edge of losing alot of power as sportsmen because I see so few kids out fishing.Some body has to replace the previous,hopefully somebody that is educated in the needs of our sport.When I was a kid here in b-town I could ride my bike all over the county and fish productive waters unsupervised safely.That is not true now and I feel it is our responsibility to both the sport and to our young people to keep these opportinities there.

I do not litter let alone leave any thing behind but footprints.I actively clean up after those that do not take care of our resources.I feel that taking care of our resources is more important than complaining about others and not doing what I can do something or TAKE CARE OF THE RESOURCE.If you are not part of the sollution than you are still part of the problem!

When it comes to the boat vs bankie issue I stand down.Most of this interaction is on the rivers and I find it more relaxing and polite to just step back for a break.I have to say that I have never had a problem with a boater on the rivers I fish but have had some very rewarding experiences.Is this because I stepped back with a smile?Once again I do not fish the crowded waters over in the big city and never will,so this probably has something to do with that.I have fished down south a couple of times and do not not know how you guys do it.

I believe that there are alot of people that do not understand the grading fish issue and would benifit from education.I also believe that there are fishermen with a complete disregard towards stock trout.Education and enforcement are the two answers I see for that.

Stacie.
thank you for your extra ordinary efforts towards our fisheries and the sportsmen that use them.

peace
Greg

#65333 - 04/03/02 09:59 PM Re: Fishing Ethics
WoolyWorm Offline
Eyed Egg

Loc: Federal Way
Quote:
Originally posted by HBP:
1. promote the sport of fishing,regardless of teqnique.
2. keep only the fish you plan to eat while fresh.
3. respect private property.
4. respect other anglers rights.
5. don't trash our waters.
6. observe fishing and boating regs.
7. pass on knowledge and angling skills.
8. take somebody fishing that otherwise would'nt go.
9. match your equipment to your quarry.
10. DON'T TEACH YOUR KIDS TO FLYFISH! laugh

P.S. #4 and #10 are for you fishnfellaS
AMEN.

#65334 - 04/04/02 11:25 AM Re: Fishing Ethics
Zen Leecher aka Bill W Offline
Spawner

Loc: Moses Lake
Wooly Worm,

Nice first post. Establishes where you will fit in the hieirarchy... Only thing I can assume is you have two accounts and didn't want to post under your main one.

I thought of ignoring it, but thought you deserved a welcome. Again, nice first post. Hope you sit on a hook. Remember, barbless is better, but barbed holds powerbait best.

#65335 - 04/04/02 02:57 PM Re: Fishing Ethics
Stacie L. Kelsey Offline
Returning Adult

These post are REALLY great! I think I will be able to put together some really cool information sheets on this subject.

I really appreciate your ideas and if you have more please let me know!

stace

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Fish_Hunter14, George Montain, mochoman, RPetzold, Sparkey, steelheadfisher
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 249 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 27837
Dan S. 16958
Sol Duc 15727
The Moderator 13941
Salmo g. 13394
eyeFISH 12606
STRIKE ZONE 11969
Dogfish 10878
ParaLeaks 10363
Jerry Garcia 9013
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63785 Topics
645440 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |