THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#655676 - 01/18/11 11:55 PM Re: Favorite bait to tip jigs and why? [Re: Gray Ghost]
Man of logic Offline
Spawner

Loc: the moon
If so, (I'm still skeptical), Jiggy is still a douche.

He's using us to try and develop a product line. It won't work because fishing with bait on jigs generally sucks.

#655682 - 01/19/11 12:12 AM Re: Favorite bait to tip jigs and why? [Re: Castaway]
Direct-Drive Offline
ExtenZe Field Tester

Loc: Vancouver, WA
Squiggy....
Pay for your advertising for cryin' out loud.
Reputation has a direct reflection on sales in this market.

#655691 - 01/19/11 01:22 AM Re: Favorite bait to tip jigs and why? [Re: Direct-Drive]
stlhdr1 Offline
BUCK NASTY!!

Loc: Vancouver, WA
When it all comes down to it... Bait with a jig outfishes jigs without bait... Winterruns especially and Summeruns a close second... Although summerruns tend to be a bit more of that "over-achiever" type they will get aggressive at anything in there immediate sight assuming they're virgin fish and not spooked....

Here's my take on jigs based on my observations... Jigs are a great tool for a fisherman to effectively cover average to intermediate holding water.... To me, average to immediate holding water is that of the "gut of the run to the tailout"... It's water where 65% of steelhead lay. More or less when you fish a hole you can effectively present a jig in 65% of the water you cast to....

As you fish these holes your percentage of strikes rise as you fish that "gut of the run or tailout" based on the presentation of the jig...

But to me, as you fish that 35% of the water that's challenging to present a jig (The headwater or seams that are a bit deeper or quicker) you stand better odds to hook the fish laying there with bait involved.... From my observations, a steelhead will react to a "properly" presented jig fairly well in that 65% type water but as you fish that faster water their nose becomes a priority as well. It assists them with making that split decision to chase down the offering and strike it.

A great example is comparing the jig fisherman to the bait drift fisherman. A bait drift fisherman will destroy a jig guy in faster type waters and moderately outfish them in standard holding waters and tailouts...

Just my observations, hope that helps...

Keith

#655693 - 01/19/11 01:31 AM Re: Favorite bait to tip jigs and why? [Re: stlhdr1]
Todd Offline
Dick Nipples

Loc: Seattle, Washington USA
Bait is indispensable at times...the other 73% of the time it's greatly, greatly overrated.

Fish on...

Todd

Team Flying Super Ditch Pickle

#655695 - 01/19/11 01:34 AM Re: Favorite bait to tip jigs and why? [Re: stlhdr1]
Queets guy Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: port orchard, WA
Ive always been a jig with prawn guy, not quite as much for summer runs though, but winter brats.....definitley. I am positive a non scented/baited jig would do just fine but in reality, it cant hurt one bit when legal to do so. Only downer about the prawn though is sometimes it will make my jig run vertically and not horizontal in the water column. Other than that, only reason I wont have prawn with me on the water is if I'm in selective gear rules water or I forgot them at home.

#655700 - 01/19/11 03:46 AM Re: Favorite bait to tip jigs and why? [Re: Queets guy]
Man of logic Offline
Spawner

blush oops

naked jigs

(summer run)

#655724 - 01/19/11 11:13 AM Re: Favorite bait to tip jigs and why? [Re: Man of logic]
Brewer Offline

Loc: in the mass production zone
i too fall under the tipless group. if you want to run bait run bait. but jigs trully do fish very well all by themselves. keep the jig horizontal and in the proper zone, and your fishing. i've witnessed summer steelhead hit a jig 3' under a bobber, in a 9' run. so steelhead will rise to a jig just as they would for a surface fly. however winter steelhead the jig must be down in the fishes zone.

#655756 - 01/19/11 02:13 PM Re: Favorite bait to tip jigs and why? [Re: jiggy]
jiggy Offline
Eyed Egg

Here is the real story. I would love to go out and pay for a add on every site and mag there is!. truth is i am a dude that has found my line of work come to a standstill this last year. with kids and house to pay i figured i would try to make money doing somthing i know and enjoy. I am not a salesman by anymeans .Just trying to find ways to get my name out there on a tight budget. sorry if i have p-ssed people off should have check out this computer stuff a little closer before divin in. sorry again fellas, understand if i see a banned message in the future.

#655769 - 01/19/11 02:35 PM Re: Favorite bait to tip jigs and why? [Re: jiggy]
Man of logic Offline
Spawner

Good, sorry about the remarks. Thank you for your honesty. I understand. I hope you can develop a bait that will knock our socks off. I hope that you continue to be involved in this forum. It doesn't cost anything to be fisherman who likes to chit chat. It does only if you want to market something.

Good Luck

Edited by Jgrizzle (01/19/11 02:41 PM)

#655790 - 01/19/11 03:05 PM Re: Favorite bait to tip jigs and why? [Re: Man of logic]
jiggy Offline
Eyed Egg

Thanks. gunna take a little while to get used to the computer world. Just when i wanted to see if you would like to check our jiu jitsu practice on mon, weds and fridays. (jokin). luv the flash video. sorry again to the sponsors!. Dont know about the water up your way but here on the oregon coast i think the water will be fishable by this weekend!!.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Dick laxton, Lil Blue Sled, Lil Red Sled, Solash, The Moderator, WeServe
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
1 registered (steely slammer), 1291 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63779 Topics
645377 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |