THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#655286 - 01/17/11 06:50 PM Favorite bait to tip jigs and why?
jiggy Offline
Eyed Egg

best to learn from the pros wink

#655291 - 01/17/11 06:58 PM Re: Favorite bait to tip jigs and why? [Re: jiggy]
steeliedrew Offline
SRC Poser

Loc: Snohomish
I like to buy live sandshrimp, and use the tails. I put the hook through them and tie some magic thread around em to keep them on for a few casts. I feel like that mustard looking stuff that pours out of them attracts very well. This setup looks ugly but works.

Drew

Edited by steeliedrew (01/17/11 06:58 PM)

"Dude...where's your boat!?" Team runaway drift boat prostaff.

Big Stick 2012: "EVERY thought of my being, is in regards to being a Hi-Tech Predator and I relish the role."

#655301 - 01/17/11 07:39 PM Re: Favorite bait to tip jigs and why? [Re: steeliedrew]
Rocket Red Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Elma
Prawn. The size of your thumbnail. You can heat them in the microwave for 10 seconds to make them a little more rubbery. The beauty of these is you can fish a jig tipped with prawn for an hour.

IMVHO regarding steelhead, if you feel like you need to fish bait below your float, then fish bait with a little yarn, the jig is not needed. If you want to fish jigs then fish jigs. They are meant to be a visual stimulus, so fish them accordingly.

#655302 - 01/17/11 07:41 PM Re: Favorite bait to tip jigs and why? [Re: steeliedrew]
Bantam Offline
Skytucky Redneck

R those dem tings u yous 4 dem floats?

prawns work good

#655314 - 01/17/11 08:08 PM Re: Favorite bait to tip jigs and why? [Re: ]
JDarr Offline
President- Oregon 20 Club

I agree with Abu.... Woah.... Didn't think I'd see that typed my on computer anytime soon, but he's spot on beer

JD

#655317 - 01/17/11 08:17 PM Re: Favorite bait to tip jigs and why? [Re: jiggy]
stlhdr1 Offline
BUCK NASTY!!

Loc: Vancouver, WA
Originally Posted By: jiggy
best to learn from the pros wink

Although I'm no pro.... If I'm not fishing bait, I'm not fishing steelhead....

As said above, bait with jigs will produce results above and beyond (especially on those fish that have been worked on already by others)... If you're fishing virgin water and only fish a jig, you'll catch but I can assure you if you go back through that same water with bait you'll catch another...

Keith

#655318 - 01/17/11 08:25 PM Re: Favorite bait to tip jigs and why? [Re: jiggy]
Wild Chrome Offline
Spawner

Loc: The Tailout
One of my many pet peeves is when people say they caught a nook or ho or big steelhead on a jig, then, when asked, state what bait they had on the jig. If you catch a fish on a jig tipped with shrimp, you caught it on shrimp, ok!

I rarely bait a jig. It's usually unnecessary for steelhead, fouls up the jig, and as stated above, there's better ways to fish bait.

That said, the biggest springer caught among my buds was caught on a shrimp-tipped jig. rofl Made the STS Hog Pen! eek2

#655319 - 01/17/11 08:26 PM Re: Favorite bait to tip jigs and why? [Re: JDarr]
Man of logic Offline
Spawner

Loc: the moon
Agree with some of these last few posts. I don't like to fish with bait in general. But, I have a bag of frozen raw prawns in my freezer and take out a couple and put them in a sandwhich bag before each outing. They usualy just sit deep in my pocket and wind up the garabage when I get home. Baiting a jig, I feel, does a disservice to the power of the jig. I've had days where it has given me the +1 or 2, but those would have been the only fish I would have hooked if I kept a hunk of bait on my hook all day. When fishing with bait, most my hookups come after the bait falls off, the scent is lingering, and the presentation has been restored. I generaly use Raw prawns, sometimes I'll throw in some juices or cures if I know there might be lower vis. It's also a good excuse to take those first few casts when It isn't that light out yet, or last few casts when it's to dark to see your float.

If you feel uncomfortable fishing without bait on the jig, you need to kick the crutch and start hooking more steelhead than you ever emagined.

Edited by Jgrizzle (01/18/11 12:06 AM)

#655335 - 01/17/11 09:41 PM Re: Favorite bait to tip jigs and why? [Re: Man of logic]
Castaway Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Sequim, WA
A lot of things being missed here gentleman. Let me enlighten, before Vedder gets to this. There are several variations/types of steelhead jigs, each one of them having their own place in jig fishing. First all, do jigs NEED bait to catch steelhead. NO! Steelhead are territorial fish and oftens times strike in defense. Ok, now, lets talk about different types of jigs and cases where bait may up your hook up ratio. The Yarn jig for instances is the most actionless jig one can fish. Steelhead will hit them like they are, but in the case of yarn jig, loading it with the scent of your choice or tipping it with your choice of bait will almost always outfish the straigt yarn jig. Next is the old faithful Palmered Marabou jig. This jig has a lot of action to it and in most cases should be fished by itself for the simple fact is that bait/scent that is applied gets on the marabou and mats the jig down thus taking the utmost important action out of it. If you do apply scent or bait to a palmered marabou jig, just scent up the head of the jig or the chenille body if it has one. If you apply bait like mentioned in an earlier post, just use a thumbnail size chunk of prawn or smaller. If your one that adds sandshrimp tail or eggs, you are killing the purpose of the buggy lookin action packed palmered marabou jig. Might as well just put some feathers in your egg loop with your bait. Rabbit jigs of excellent action as well and will mat up just like the marabou, so with this jig, it is best to fish it without bait and if you want to fish scent, just simply scent the head. Schlappen and hackle jigs are tied in all different ways, some with long tails on them and some short. If tied with a short tail, I like to apply shrimptail or prawn chunk. If tied long and untrimmed, scenting the head shall do just fine. I also like to fish bucktail jigs for steelhead, such as the Macks Lure Rock Dancer jigs. Bucktail is pretty stiff without much action so scenting these should not hurt it too much, but in most instances I find myself just puttin scent on the chenille body or head. Well, with that said, if your stuck on using bait with a jig, use a straight jighead with your bait of choice behind it and my guess is you hook just as many fish or maybe try a jig and worm tail. Just my .02. Good luck.

#655336 - 01/17/11 09:41 PM Re: Favorite bait to tip jigs and why? [Re: Man of logic]
Steelymann Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Salmon Creek, WA
You can also tie a jig with EZ eggs. It will catch a few

#655380 - 01/17/11 11:23 PM Re: Favorite bait to tip jigs and why? [Re: Steelymann]
DrifterWA Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: East of Aberdeen, West of Mont...
Here we go again:

1. Been fishing summerrun steelhead since 1980.....1st 10 years was 100% sandshimp, prawns, spinners or plugs. I caught many fish, basically cause not many people fished the river I fish.

2. About 1989-90, I started carrying 2 rods to the river...1 for bait and 1 rigged for jigs. I always fished bait 1st cause like many on here, that was all I knew.

One morning, there were 5 of the regulars, guys that fish about everyday, fishing the same drift.....cast, drift, cast, drift...etc., couple of hours like that, nobody had anything. So I asked if they mind if I tryed a jig.....response was go ahead......now the only jigs I had I that time were some "bucktail jigs from Cabelas", 3/8 oz. and "ugly looking". The hole we were fishing was about 4-5 feet deep, so I picked a depth of about 3 foot, whipped that bobber and jig out there....went about 6 feet....bobber down.....about crapped my pants......got fish, then on the 3rd cast, got another....that started my jig fishing.

I still carried 2 rods for about 5 years........Now its 100 % jigs and 99.9% "naked", no bait......

Retired since 1997....3 years in a row fished every morning June 1 to September 15......all jigs......now use 13' 3-piece Lamiglas and its fun.

Don't tie my own, just have the luck to have a friend that has his own web site and ties some "fish catchers for me". Together we have learned 10,000 % about beaded, marabou, schlappen.....big jigs to 1/32 oz., botton line.......YA DON'T NEED BAIT, most of the time!!!!!!!!!

Edited by DrifterWA (01/17/11 11:35 PM)

"I thought growing older, would take longer"

#655407 - 01/17/11 11:58 PM Re: Favorite bait to tip jigs and why? [Re: DrifterWA]
Castaway Offline
Returning Adult

Like DrifterWa I too learned to fish jigs while summerrun fishing. Back then, you never heard of anybody using a piece of bait on their jig. I believe the first time I ever tip a jig with bait was picking up Periwinkles and tipping my jig with those. Anybody else ever do that? How about the white wood grubs ya find in the firewood stack? How about a hunk of crawdad? Bumble Bee pattern jigs worked well too. Used to tie straight marabou in with my egg loop and drift fish it and do pretty good as well. Would ya tip a Popsicle Fly or flesh fly with bait? Hell no.

Edited by Castaway (01/17/11 11:58 PM)

#655410 - 01/18/11 12:03 AM Re: Favorite bait to tip jigs and why? [Re: DrifterWA]
Castaway Offline
Returning Adult

Originally Posted By: DrifterWA
now use 13' 3-piece Lamiglas and its fun.
+1 agree, Rainshadow IST or XST1562 all the way, what a blast.

#655463 - 01/18/11 11:12 AM Re: Favorite bait to tip jigs and why? [Re: Castaway]
DrifterWA Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: East of Aberdeen, West of Mont...
jiggy:

If you're going to fish jig...I recommend a long rod.....10.5 - 13'.....now you don't have to pay "big bucks"......there are quite a few around $70.00 and they are nice.....Shimano, Shakespeare, Okuma......but if you have $$$$$$$$ then have a custom rod built for you....or you can pay for a Loomis $600.00+

Match that up with a 2500 or 3000 spinning reel, some Hi Vis braid, a few good floats, some jigs, leader, learn how to set "up the float" either fixed or a slider.....join the crowd when the rivers drop into shape...

"I thought growing older, would take longer"

#655572 - 01/18/11 04:33 PM Re: Favorite bait to tip jigs and why? [Re: DrifterWA]
Gray Ghost Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Washington
Excellent wisdom to bait tip the steelhead jig or not, from all the previous post. I don't bait tip my steelhead jigs very often either for the reasons already stated, it tends to ruin the action and profile of the steelhead jig. I will always scent the jig head where legal though.

There are a few artificial and natural baits that will add enticing action, scent and improve the profile of the steelhead jig though. Think long and worm like, as Castaway stated. Marabou/Rabbit collared steelhead jigs work well in combination with standard size plastic steelhead worms. Two baits I'll use sometimes with full feather/hair bodied steelhead jigs are Squid tentacles/strips and Berkley Powerbait Trout Worms. These two baits add to overall appeal of the full bodied steelhead jig and do not ruin the action or profile of the full bodied steelhead jig, but add to it. I will cure and dye the squid/tentacles just as you would any steelhead/salmon bait. You can cut strip/worm like tipping baits from the body of the squid also.

Here is a bait some fisherman are using, what looks like very small octopus tentacles for tipping their steelhead jigs. I have not personally seen this bait, so I can not tell you for sure what they are. They do not reveal what the bait actually is.

http://www.sticklebackbait.com/

Edited by Grayghost (01/18/11 04:38 PM)

#655594 - 01/18/11 06:07 PM Re: Favorite bait to tip jigs and why? [Re: Gray Ghost]
Man of logic Offline
Spawner

Loc: the moon
Originally Posted By: Grayghost

Here is a bait some fisherman are using, what looks like very small octopus tentacles for tipping their steelhead jigs. I have not personally seen this bait, so I can not tell you for sure what they are. They do not reveal what the bait actually is.

Uh oh. Look in jiggy's signature. This thread is a marketing skeem! No more posts!!!!

Ohwell, he won't take off becuase baited jigs would be a shitty market to be in.

#655598 - 01/18/11 06:22 PM Re: Favorite bait to tip jigs and why? [Re: Man of logic]
steeliedrew Offline
SRC Poser

Loc: Snohomish
Originally Posted By: Jgrizzle

Uh oh. Look in jiggy's signature. This thread is a marketing skeem! No more posts!!!!

Ohwell, he won't take off becuase baited jigs would be a shitty market to be in.

Haha. That's funny. Sneaky bastid!

"Dude...where's your boat!?" Team runaway drift boat prostaff.

Big Stick 2012: "EVERY thought of my being, is in regards to being a Hi-Tech Predator and I relish the role."

#655606 - 01/18/11 06:42 PM Re: Favorite bait to tip jigs and why? [Re: steeliedrew]
Rocket Red Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Elma
The ole' bait and switch!

#655613 - 01/18/11 07:14 PM Re: Favorite bait to tip jigs and why? [Re: Rocket Red]
Castaway Offline
Returning Adult

Noticed this right off the bat, but when it went in the other direction, I went ahead and put my .02 in. He tried the same thing on another board and got called out on it. Its obvious as hell that its nothing but cured/dyed squid and octopus tentacles. "Best to learn from the pros". What a joke.

#655668 - 01/18/11 11:10 PM Re: Favorite bait to tip jigs and why? [Re: Man of logic]
Gray Ghost Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Washington
Originally Posted By: Jgrizzle
Originally Posted By: Grayghost

I'm not affiliated or connected with this site in any way. Just saw it myself on the other forum. Thought it was interesting and related to the subject, that is all.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
3Gonads, herm
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1083 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13520
eyeFISH 12766
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63773 Topics
645290 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |