Three Rivers Marine

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#662963 - 02/14/11 08:04 PM The Blue and Mickey Litter
Dave Vedder Offline
Reverend Tarpones

Loc: West Duvall
Tye hit 87 pounds yesterday, Are his brothers and sisters that big? He’s long and tall, not much fat on him. He's just a big dog.

On an unrelated issue Tye has very red eyes, or at least the area around the eyes, a lot. It seems to me his lower lids are pretty loose. He loves to crash through tall grass and usually ends up with red eyes after he does.

Tye is NOT crazy about swimming. He will swim after a stick of ball about three times then just look at me as if to say, "If you want it so bad you go get it." He is much more enthusiastic about fetching ducks and pigeons from the water. He's not afraid of water often wading out up to his chest for no apparent reason. He will stick his head underwater to retrieve an object that has sunk. So far his deepest retrieve is about 10 inches.

So, how are his siblings doing?

P.S. He is still addicted to any of our clothing. My wife’s bra is a particular favorite.

Edited by Dave Vedder (02/16/11 08:16 PM)

#662981 - 02/14/11 08:43 PM Re: The Blue and Mickey Litter [Re: Dave Vedder]
seastrike Offline
Hey Man....It's cool...

Loc: seattle
Dave buy some eye wash. I use it on the dogs when bird hunting tall grass in EW. They get seeds and stuff around/in their eyes. The flush is easy to apply and washes all that stuff out. Tye will get used to it.

Is he rubbing his eyes or laying around watching tv and eating all the time and laughing?

We could have other issues working here.

#662982 - 02/14/11 08:45 PM Re: The Blue and Mickey Litter [Re: seastrike]
Dave Vedder Offline
Reverend Tarpones

Seastrike,

I admit he eats like a stoner with the munchies, but he swears he doesn't inhale.

#663173 - 02/15/11 11:59 AM Re: The Blue and Mickey Litter [Re: Dave Vedder]
seastrike Offline
Hey Man....It's cool...

I'll call him Bill from now on.
He won't get it. It'll be my own little private joke.

#663181 - 02/15/11 12:21 PM Re: The Blue and Mickey Litter [Re: ]
FishRanger Offline
Carcass

Loc: Where ever Dogfish tells me to...
It's all that pizza you keep giving him Dave .. . . . . . .Onyx (not related to Ty, or even a lab) just hit 65 lbs @ 6 1/2 months. . . . . if I weren't riding the tech short bus I'd post pics. .

Decisions are made by those who show up.

"Shallow men believe in luck. Strong men believe in cause and effect." Ralph Waldo Emerson

#663188 - 02/15/11 12:51 PM Re: The Blue and Mickey Litter [Re: FishRanger]
AP a.k.a. Kaiser D Offline
Hippie

Loc: B'ham
Dave, you just about described Boris to perfection. I haven't weighed him recently but I'd say he is definitely between 80 and 90 pounds and, just as you said, long, tall and relatively lean. It also seems like he isn't done growing.

Boris also has the red eyes, particularly when sleepy.

His level of swimming enthusiasm sounds similar to Tye. He WILL swim but doesn't see much reason for it. At the same time, he has absolutely no fear of the water. His retrieving is similarly casual. He also does the head diving thing and is curious of sunken sticks.

For the first couple of months, he was into chewing on socks. That stopped for a few months but more recently, he seems to have a sock fetish and is becoming a hoarder. He'll root through a bunch of clothes to find the used socks and then either take them in his crate or to his pillow, sometimes collecting several before I notice. Generally, he just wants them around and doesn't actually want to destroy/chew on them. When I confront him, he immediately goes into "shame" mode and lays down with his head between his paws. Just cute enough to get out of any harsh punishement.

My girlfriend says he's got it all figured out.

GreenDrifter is up at my house with his girlfriend and his gf's dog (6 year old chocolate). Boris is in full-on hump mode with her.

I'll try to put up some more recent photos on this thread (not of the attempted humping).

-AP

#663219 - 02/15/11 02:52 PM Re: The Blue and Mickey Litter [Re: AP a.k.a. Kaiser D]
Achewter Offline

Loc: N of Seattle
These dogs are going to top out well over a hundred.Micky's dad was over 110 and his dad was pushing 120 when I got her. By the end of summer they will swim for the hell of it. It was over a year until Micky became water crazy and would jump out of the boat because a twig floated by. Radar has the loose red eye thing at night too. Gets better when he is pumped up or out in the cold. Destruction has slowed. I have been buying fresh bones (beef knees cut in half mostly)and they seem to love em. Latest trick is to try and pick up the cat. Cat isnt into it.

#663237 - 02/15/11 03:31 PM Re: The Blue and Mickey Litter [Re: Achewter]
Dave Vedder Offline
Reverend Tarpones

BTW Tye will hump pretty much anything. Every night right about 7 he drags the mattress out of his kennel and humps it for about a half hour. When he's done he lays on it with the edge in his mouth for up to 1/2 hour and his eyes closed. Ya, he's a sick puppy. God I love him!

This is his "These are mine and you are NOT going to take them away form me look."

And this is his, "I have no idea who made this mess look."

Edited by Dave Vedder (02/15/11 06:15 PM)

#663539 - 02/16/11 07:40 PM Re: The Blue and Mickey Litter [Re: Dave Vedder]
landcruiserwilly Offline
Spawner

Loc: Bothell
kenna's built like mickey, rather than blue. wide otter tail, weighs in at about 76# right now. i'm thinking she might get a bit bigger, but i don't think she'll top around 85#. still loves the socks, but is much less destructive with them. LOVES dirty laundry, especially recently used bath towels. walked out in the hallway this morning with a towel wrapped around my waist, and she about knocked me over trying to rub on my legs. can't keep her out of the mud puddles. her obedience has improved drastically since we got an e-collar, i have no issues with her running off or affectionately assaulting people. we walk for about 45 minutes every morning, interdispersed with some fetching. i need to get a couple more pigeons: tye ate one, and the other escaped (primary feathers grow back in about 6 weeks, in case you're wondering). i'm planning on hitting the bird training as much as possible this spring, so if you've got tips and ideas, let me know!

willy

#663545 - 02/16/11 07:52 PM Re: The Blue and Mickey Litter [Re: landcruiserwilly]
Dave Vedder Offline
Reverend Tarpones

Willy,

I could use some pigeons if you find a source. Tye DID NOT eat that pigeon. He did maim, maul it eventually kill it, but we still use it for training. I freeze it then let it thaw for about four hours before we use it again. But I admit it's getting pretty rasty. (He absolutely loves that nasty thing and will swim anywhere to get it.)

Edited by Dave Vedder (02/16/11 07:52 PM)

#663553 - 02/16/11 08:05 PM Re: The Blue and Mickey Litter [Re: Dave Vedder]
seastrike Offline
Hey Man....It's cool...

About April I will be trapping pigeons if any of you guys want to help out.
I don't have lodging for them so it'll be a trap in the evening shoot in the morning deal.

I do it down by Shilshole with a dog crate and popcorn.

Plan on doing the training at Stillwater over by Duvall.

I've got some foot release traps for the birds. Should be fun.

Also going to do a trip over to Cook Creek (Eburg) to do a planted bird thing this spring. Right now I've got one buddy and his pup coming with me.

#663557 - 02/16/11 08:12 PM Re: The Blue and Mickey Litter [Re: seastrike]
Dave Vedder Offline
Reverend Tarpones

I'm in for both. Keep me posted.

Still kinda worried about the gun shy thing. Think I will take him back to the Kenmore gun club one more time.

Edited by Dave Vedder (02/16/11 08:14 PM)

#663651 - 02/16/11 11:14 PM Re: The Blue and Mickey Litter [Re: Dave Vedder]
seastrike Offline
Hey Man....It's cool...

Good idea Dave. How I do it:
Take dog out of truck and start playing ball. Have buddy 500 yards away and start shooting once every minutue.
Keep playing ball (or whatever the dog likes if it isn't ball).
Have buddy move closer and closer until he is with you.
I was given this advice by my great grandfather who raised shorthairs for hunting.
It has not let me down. I've done this with three labs and none were gunshy afer that.
Putting them in a blind and firing over their head is about the worst thing when they haven't been exposed to it.
Props to Dogfish who helped me break in current dog Chase.

#663661 - 02/16/11 11:28 PM Re: The Blue and Mickey Litter [Re: Dave Vedder]
landcruiserwilly Offline
Spawner

I'm in too. She's been shot around, but not over. Think I'll take her to kenmore too. I've been meaning to for a few weeks, but Lindsey swims on tues and thurs. Maybe next week. I'll let you know, Dave. If they're busy screwing around and enjoy it, it might work.

#663695 - 02/17/11 12:55 AM Re: The Blue and Mickey Litter [Re: landcruiserwilly]
Dave Vedder Offline
Reverend Tarpones

Willy,

Lets do it Tye has been there once and seemed fine, but I do want to be sure he's rock solid that way.

Seastrike,

I will buy the ammo if you wanna be the shooter on the 500 yard thing.

#663740 - 02/17/11 04:52 AM Re: The Blue and Mickey Litter [Re: Dave Vedder]
Achewter Offline

Loc: N of Seattle
With the way mom and pops feel about gun shots I wouldn't worry to much. Start by smacking a couple of chunks of lumber together when he is having a good time. If he stops what he is doing get excited and praise him for a bit. Before Mickey herd her first shot she would get excited if you even pointed a gun or a stick for that mater at something. With no bird training at all she maid a half dozen water retrieves her first time on a duck hunt.

Your going to end up duck hunting again arnt ya.

#663781 - 02/17/11 12:02 PM Re: The Blue and Mickey Litter [Re: Achewter]
seastrike Offline
Hey Man....It's cool...

I think Dave is totally going to start hunting again. He's lying if he thinks not. You know you can justify it by saying "well I'm doing it for the dog".
Hey dave. Give Doug Teakle a call on the shooting. He lives out your way and has a similair aged pup who he has hunted over. He also has a lab about your age who is a good hunter.
You are in for the pigeons and pheasant shoot.
I'll be bringing my son for both things and you are welcome to bring your grandson.

#663784 - 02/17/11 12:11 PM Re: The Blue and Mickey Litter [Re: seastrike]
NOFISH Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Olalla, WA
Dave, I got one of those dog dummy shooters you're more than welcome to borrow.......you can buy those .22 shorts that barely make a pop......I have found that gun shyness is easily cured with another dog around and shooting over water, labs are competitive, and their instincts to retrieve will overcome their gunshyness.

Damn Stam!
Remember, Ask yourself "What would Stam do?" smile

#663854 - 02/17/11 03:46 PM Re: The Blue and Mickey Litter [Re: NOFISH]
landcruiserwilly Offline
Spawner

i have a coop i built for keeping birds, so if we need to store them for a while, i can do that. I probably have room for about 6 or so. Dave, if you need birds sooner than seastrike can trap them, ican make a call. let me know....

willy

#663856 - 02/17/11 03:59 PM Re: The Blue and Mickey Litter [Re: landcruiserwilly]
Dave Vedder Offline
Reverend Tarpones

Nofish

I would love to borrow it. Out of town this weekend, but maybe the next weekend.

Seastrike

Yeah, I'm in for both and yeah like Stam said sometimes the dog tells you what he wants, and he wants to go hunt pheasant. He told me he's not yup for freezing his azz off in a duck blind but he thinks it might be cool to hike around E wash on a fall day, and maybe kill something.

Willy,

I can wait on the birds but think maybe we should take both dogs out to Cherry Valley with a few.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Bob, Jerry Garcia, ReiterRat, Sky-Guy 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
birdhunter111, metalman, solducsinker
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
2 registered (chrome/22, stonefish), 946 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28169
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13519
eyeFISH 12766
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63770 Topics
645260 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |