Rate This Topic
#665146 - 02/22/11 08:54 PM Re: Fish Skulls [Re: ]
ColeyG Offline
Ranger Danger

Loc: AK
What size hooks do you want on them?

I have #4 through 6/0.

EZ Thread Yarn Balls

"I don't care how you catch them, as long as you treat them well and with respect." Lani Waller in "A Steelheader's Way."

#665151 - 02/22/11 09:01 PM Re: Fish Skulls [Re: ColeyG]
ColeyG Offline
Ranger Danger

Would either of you guys be interested in testing some steelhead nymphs once you are back in WA? KK, I know the thought probably makes you physically ill, but thought I would ask anyhow.

If so, I'll toss a few pieces of steelhead candy in.

EZ Thread Yarn Balls

"I don't care how you catch them, as long as you treat them well and with respect." Lani Waller in "A Steelheader's Way."

#665152 - 02/22/11 09:01 PM Re: Fish Skulls [Re: ColeyG]
SRoffe Offline
Spawner

Originally Posted By: ColeyG

I want to see how many species of fish will eat that fly, and then put together a photo essay detailing it, just for fun. I think I am up to 11 or 12 species so far, 14 if you count birds smile

Puget Sound Bullhead? Want a picture of that eating your fly? I bet I could handle that for you Coley. smile

#665153 - 02/22/11 09:02 PM Re: Fish Skulls [Re: SRoffe]
ColeyG Offline
Ranger Danger

I don't think I have that one yet, although white fish is on the list!

EZ Thread Yarn Balls

#665154 - 02/22/11 09:03 PM Re: Fish Skulls [Re: ColeyG]
SRoffe Offline
Spawner

Not sure about Nymphing there Coley, but, I'd put them egg patterns under my CP gear for sure!!!

#665156 - 02/22/11 09:05 PM Re: Fish Skulls [Re: SRoffe]
ColeyG Offline
Ranger Danger

The pin is the perfect way to fish those, and in fact, what I had in mind when making them!

EZ Thread Yarn Balls

#665193 - 02/22/11 10:31 PM Re: Fish Skulls [Re: ColeyG]
Salmo g. Offline
River Nutrients

PMed my address to ya' Coley. Don't get carried away, since most of our time will be over bonefish, but if we see some fish eaters, I intend to try for them to add to my life list. I don't need tarpon sizes, probably can't cast them. I'll use the 10 wt for snook and grouper or snapper or whatever, there's a fish species that said to be excellent eating, but doesn't look all that much like a gamefish.

Save the nymphs for someone who will use them. I have some Skrunks I got from Twitch last season that haven't gotten wet yet. I really need to fish more for steelhead, but as a weekend warrior, this winter has been a bust between flood and freeze during the times I could go.

Sg

#665195 - 02/22/11 10:34 PM Re: Fish Skulls [Re: ColeyG]
The Catcherman Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Ellensburg, WA
Going back to the fish skulls, the local fly shop in town brought a bunch in, all different sizes and colors. The largest ones looked like they could be a decent replacement for the cones (weight wise) on the flies I tie for steelhead. I thought about getting some but I couldn't find any in the right color (traditional silver or nickle). I never paid any attention to price. If I thought they'd work, which I do, I'd buy some just to experiment regardless of price, unless it was rediculously high.

#665211 - 02/22/11 11:25 PM Re: Fish Skulls [Re: Salmo g.]
ColeyG Offline
Ranger Danger

Originally Posted By: Salmo g.
PMed my address to ya' Coley. Don't get carried away, since most of our time will be over bonefish, but if we see some fish eaters, I intend to try for them to add to my life list. I don't need tarpon sizes, probably can't cast them. I'll use the 10 wt for snook and grouper or snapper or whatever, there's a fish species that said to be excellent eating, but doesn't look all that much like a gamefish.

Save the nymphs for someone who will use them. I have some Skrunks I got from Twitch last season that haven't gotten wet yet. I really need to fish more for steelhead, but as a weekend warrior, this winter has been a bust between flood and freeze during the times I could go.

Sg

Sorry for the lack of steelhead time this winter. Hearing that makes me sad, but I know the feeling. The freeze part at least. Plenty of that up here right now. -21F on the drive to work this morning.

10-4 on the nymphs. Sam, wanna get a few wet for me and see if anything eats them?

EZ Thread Yarn Balls

#665261 - 02/23/11 09:45 AM Re: Fish Skulls [Re: ColeyG]
Twitch Offline
The Beav

Loc: Oregon Central Coast
Salmo- I think Stam is going to be feeding Skrunkies to bonefish..... you better take some... A certain FlyGal used them for the same purpose a couple years ago...

#666311 - 02/26/11 03:26 PM Re: Fish Skulls [Re: ]
Salmo g. Offline
River Nutrients

Coley,

I got your flies. Thanks! Those skulls are a lot heavier than coneheads I've cast. Report to follow.

Sg

#666313 - 02/26/11 03:33 PM Re: Fish Skulls [Re: Salmo g.]
ColeyG Offline
Ranger Danger

Right on.

Don't hit yourself in the head with those babies. I think they'll leave a pretty good welt smile

Have a great trip!

EZ Thread Yarn Balls

#666357 - 02/26/11 06:55 PM Re: Fish Skulls [Re: ]
SRoffe Offline
Spawner

Yup, I'm with CG and KK. Have fun, take some pictures and be safe.

#666364 - 02/26/11 07:28 PM Re: Fish Skulls [Re: SRoffe]
Todd Offline
Dick Nipples

Loc: Seattle, Washington USA
Wear goggles and a helmet.

Fish on...

Todd

P.S. Consider shoulder pads and kidney protection, too!

Team Flying Super Ditch Pickle

#666427 - 02/27/11 01:52 AM Re: Fish Skulls [Re: Todd]
schoenweiss Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Bellingham, WA
yep, once i hit myself in the temple, i felt the pain in the opposite lower side of my brain...that can't be good.

but also don't forget an elbow brace

#666621 - 02/28/11 11:29 AM Re: Fish Skulls [Re: Todd]
OPfisher Offline
The Golden Boy

Loc: wa/ak
Originally Posted By: Todd
Wear goggles and a helmet.

Fish on...

Todd

P.S. Consider shoulder pads and kidney protection, too!

you and KK gettin kinky again?

http://www.olympicpeninsulaoutfitters.net/
http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Olympic-Peninsula-Outfitters/

#666623 - 02/28/11 11:38 AM Re: Fish Skulls [Re: OPfisher]
OPfisher Offline
The Golden Boy

Loc: wa/ak

I made some of these baby herring for cutts when we first got the skulls in the shop.
I just dont feel like they sink like X-eyed-cones or dumbells...?

http://www.olympicpeninsulaoutfitters.net/
http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Olympic-Peninsula-Outfitters/

#667014 - 03/01/11 10:41 PM Re: Fish Skulls [Re: OPfisher]
ColeyG Offline
Ranger Danger

Nice fly J!

I haven't had a chance to cast the skulls yet, obviously, but I have to say my first impression was that despite their bulky size, they weren't terribly dense. I feel like a conehead of similar size is heavier and has a lot lower profile that would sink faster. The skulls have a pretty large void in addition to a lot of surface area that will create drag on the way down. As such, I have compensated by using en even larger size, which is leading to a somewhat disproportionate fly.

EZ Thread Yarn Balls

#667063 - 03/02/11 02:15 AM Re: Fish Skulls [Re: OPfisher]
SRoffe Offline
Spawner

OP,

would those herring patterns might make a nice weight fly for a 5 wt for some cutties?

#667371 - 03/03/11 05:22 PM Re: Fish Skulls [Re: SRoffe]
A D Pose Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Pugetropolis, USA
Hey Cobble-
The FREE spey casting clinics are now held on Saturday mornings 9am to 12pm on the bar at the mouth of the Raging River 'cuz the access road to the mouth of the Tolt got washed out last Winter.
Aaron is a great guy/FFF flycasting instructor and willing to share his knowledge. He also offers private tutalage for 1 on 1 classes. If you live up North- Mike Kinney (one of the Forefathers of Skagit casting) does clinics at Blue Stilly Park on I think Saturdays too-same time frame-check with Hook,Line & Sinker about it. I don't know if All About the Fly (Monroe)is still doing clinics at Ben Howard anymore since their business went strictly online.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
BigRedHead, Gene, Milton Fisher, Selther, SpinyRayLover
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
2 registered (20 Gage, Carcassman), 1159 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63778 Topics
645372 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |