THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Page 7 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#66723 - 08/03/02 02:18 AM Re: The GREEN!!
F F F Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Kent
Actually the river was so low that the stump was out of the water. I picked up a mass of hooks and weights but didn't feel like picking through the cluster ****. The tressel is just south of the Highway 18 bridge. It's right at the mouth of Soos creek. And is open.

#66724 - 08/04/02 07:44 PM Re: The GREEN!!
NewBieFishermen Offline
Parr

I fished last night around Kanaskat didn't get anything or see anyone catch anything. Is it legal to use spinners right now in this area? Thanks

#66725 - 08/05/02 01:47 AM Re: The GREEN!!
Metalhead Mojo Offline
Spawner

Loc: Browns Point
the upper green is still open with a night closure and non-bouyant lure restriction in effect. you can use spinners but not the treble hook, you have to put on a single siwash if you want to be legal. i mostly fish spoons in the palmer/kanasket and headworks area and i always use 1/0 gammie siwash hooks on them so its legal year-round and i dont have to worry about that detail. if you do fish with trebles you should consider switching anyway since you will only be legal part of the season and the other advantage ive found is that they are pretty much snag proof, if you do wedge your lure between some rocks or whatever on the bottom, just let out some extra line until you get a large bow in your line and then give it a good sharp pull, this will pull the lure downstream and back it out of the snag and you will get your lure back almost every time. also, i didnt notice a loss of hookups when i switched from trebles to the single which was one of my concerns back then.

i think the green is dead slow right now but i still hit it once a week because there are still fish to be caught if you put in your time. a friend of mine landed one up at K/P a few days ago so dont give up on it.

#66726 - 08/05/02 12:09 PM Re: The GREEN!!
NewBieFishermen Offline
Parr

Stifler, thanks for the info. I will give it a try. Is there any spoons that you would recommend? I am just starting to fish rivers and don't know all the in's and out's YET. Thanks,

#66727 - 08/05/02 10:55 PM Re: The GREEN!!
Metalhead Mojo Offline
Spawner

Loc: Browns Point
i use a few different types depending on the speed of the current and depth. little cleos, stee lees, and daredevles all have their time and place on the river. if you are interested in learning to fish spoons your best bet would be to go with a friend who has fished with them before and can show you the basics to get you started, it will save you a lot of time and get you catching fish sooner.

#66728 - 08/14/02 11:33 AM Re: The GREEN!!
BERKLEY BOY75 Offline
Spawner

Loc: AUBURN
fff, which stump did you find all your stuff on? there is a bunch of hangups underneath them bridges..however, i came upon a huge dead king,had to be about 40+, tail was like a 10 wide..im not sure if it swam up and died or it was dropped off my netters..**berkley boy**

#66729 - 08/18/02 02:10 AM Re: The GREEN!!
F F F Offline
Returning Adult

It was a long stump with a rootball on it and all the rigs were wadded up on it. Right under highway 18.

#66730 - 08/18/02 04:08 PM Re: The GREEN!!
WINGWANG Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: kent
I went to a zipper lip spot that you have to walk a long time to *wink*wink* wink and caught a whole lotta smolt. Good for them I was using barbless jigs.

#66731 - 08/23/02 01:06 AM Re: The GREEN!!
Big Bad Voodoo Daddy Offline
Spawner

Loc: Enumclaw
Hey I tried Kanasket today with a colorado spinner attached to my main line, then a 18 inch leader with half a worm on it after that.

I caught one bow and released it... he was about 7 inches.

I switched to a blue fox soon after and caught a 12 inch bow that i was chasing... he kept rising near me for the bugs on the surface. I finally got him. Man I love fighting these babies!

#66732 - 08/23/02 11:00 AM Re: The GREEN!!
Floatuber Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Auburn
I have caught a fair share of fish out of the Green at about Kanaskat and I have only been there 3 times. Great place for Rainbows but all were very small. Nothing over 8". But Fish On about every other cast. Blue Fox and Rooster Tails.

Can someone clear up this restriction or point me in a direction. I have become addicted to this river and don't want any trouble. I am a 100% legal gamesman but am new to Washington Rules.

#66733 - 08/23/02 11:25 AM Re: The GREEN!!
troller Offline
Spawner

Loc: Renton , WA
Someone correct me if I am wrong but I was under the impression that most of those small rainbow trout are actually little stealhead getting ready to head to sea. I grew up in palmer on the river accross from the park. Their hasnt been any really good trout fishin for awhile in the upper green. They at one time used to stock it with trout but stopped for awhile I never heard if they started back up. They went to just stealhead rearing. We used to have pretty good luck in the low water using just a nightcrawler with no weight. wading the river fishing the smaller holes and seems that didnt get all the attention the big holes get. I dont fish trout anymore in the river, just target stealhead I figure if I am going to catch a fish over the minumum size it probably going to be a stealhead.

#66734 - 08/23/02 01:23 PM Re: The GREEN!!
spoonman Offline
Parr

Loc: kent,wa
There was a discussion on steelhead smolt or resident trout on the previous pages. If you must target fish in 8-12inch range (why would you?) be fish friendly. The mortality rate of bait, treble hooks, and warm water temperature is deadly to this small fish. I fish exclusively for steelhead on the upper green I uses barbless hooks on my spoons. If 8-12inch fish hits I don't set the hook, hopefully it will just get off on its own. Rivers are so much more dynamic than lakes. In this state lakes are primarly "fishery lakes" if they get "fished out" so what the state will dump 5000 fingerlings and your back in business. Rivers are a different story. I will stop ranking now. Went out yesterday water is extremely low the steelhead are very timid to say the least. Saw two the first swing each time through had them moving out of way. Please releasesome water from the dam or from the sky.

tight lines

#66735 - 08/23/02 10:25 PM Re: The GREEN!!
Spawner

Hey where do you guys fish at kanasket? I turned left at the the little sign that had a rower going either way, and went down that trail. I went as far left on the bank as possible (To a giagantic bolder) and tossed it into a little mouth there.

Where do you guys normally fish?

#66736 - 12/23/02 02:20 AM Re: The GREEN!!
F F F Offline
Returning Adult

Start this back up??

#66737 - 12/23/02 02:23 AM Re: The GREEN!!
F F F Offline
Returning Adult

My buddy and I hit Metzler today and he popped his steelhead cherry finally, right at sunset. Hooked a nice winter run on an orange rooster. He only caught it cuz we forgot the camera. beathead confused

#66738 - 12/23/02 02:31 AM Re: The GREEN!!
Spawner

thumbs nice job, what size of rooster tails do you use?

Also, how do you fish them? Just casting and retrieve?

#66739 - 12/23/02 11:55 AM Re: The GREEN!!
F F F Offline
Returning Adult

We usually fish the 1/8 oz. size. And we usually cast downstream across river and just close the bail and drift the swing with it. Either no reeling or reel just enough to keep the blade turning. But yesterday he walked up to the top of the pool and tossed it in and just held it in the current in the middle of the hole(very small hole below logs at metzler) and bam. As long as the blade turns, that is usually fast enough of a retrieve.

#66740 - 12/23/02 06:36 PM Re: The GREEN!!
Matt S. Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Northwest
Hey FFF, did you see any other winter fish caught at Metzlers. I'll probably head there tomorrow. If ya see me say hi. I'm the 16 year old in brown cabela's waders with a blue hooded sweatshirt. Good luck.

#66741 - 12/24/02 02:21 AM Re: The GREEN!!
F F F Offline
Returning Adult

Sturza, Believe it or not, we had the whole place to our selves. Saw some guys come out of the woods but no fishermen. We did see another steelhead in that same hole but he wasn't interested. We also saw one run the whole lenght of the long flat in about 30 seconds. He wasn't stoppin for nothing. Tons of smolt everywhere.

#66742 - 12/24/02 08:29 AM Re: The GREEN!!
redsharks Offline
Fry

Loc: Puyallup.wa
evil spoonman what up!!!!!!!!
call me im up to 22 steel how about you
did good on salmon to lots to do for

x- mas

fish on!!!!!!!! thumbs

Page 7 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Skate
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
1 registered (stonefish), 1307 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63779 Topics
645378 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |