Three Rivers Marine

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#66603 - 06/04/02 10:12 PM The GREEN!!
Big Bad Voodoo Daddy Offline
Spawner

Loc: Enumclaw
Got my grades up, so its fishin for me!!

Hows the green doin right now?? I wanna get in there and get some trout and steelhead baby! If anyones been fishin it tell me how you been doin!

This will be my first year goin for summer run, what kind of rig should i use? Thanks a bunch!

Curtis

#66604 - 06/04/02 10:32 PM Re: The GREEN!!
PhishPhreak Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: North Bend, WA
Haven't heard too many reports yet, but this river fishes well with a float and jig. Spoons and spinners are worth a shot too. Basically just pick a method or 2, and a few favorite spots, and work at it. You'll learn a lot more that way.

#66605 - 06/04/02 11:09 PM Re: The GREEN!!
Easy Limits Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Nisqually
Ask FFF. He fishes the Green a lot for steel and catches them too.

#66606 - 06/04/02 11:23 PM Re: The GREEN!!
Spawner

Whats FFF's email? Thanks a bunch! Hey I only got like, 500 more posts before i catch up with you bro!

#66607 - 06/05/02 01:19 AM Re: The GREEN!!
starcraft tom Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: marysville
yOU SHOULD NOT TAKE THE NAME OF SUCH A GOOD BAND IN VAIN!

#66608 - 06/05/02 01:53 AM Re: The GREEN!!
F F F Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Kent
I think a small red or darker jig under a float with 8lb or less leader would be a good bet right now. If it's really bright out and the waters clear go really dark. The opposite for dark water. And a little scent wouldn't hurt. Just my guess. The river is looking better by the day. I may have to break out the waders and head up there wednesday or thursday. If anyone else gets up there post your results. Got any free time Carl?

#66609 - 06/05/02 09:19 AM Re: The GREEN!!
Easy Limits Offline
River Nutrients

Not till Saturday or Sunday. frown

#66610 - 06/05/02 09:46 AM Re: The GREEN!!
Lil Buddha Offline
Eyed Egg

Loc: Renton
Went to the green Tueday morning for a few hours to test a reel I'm making. The water was high but good color, Did manage to hook and release a native spawner about 12 lbs on a pink worm. didn't see another fisherman.

#66611 - 06/05/02 06:20 PM Re: The GREEN!!
Spawner

Okay... What exactly do I use with a bobber and jig? Meaning like, do I use a slip bobber, cork bobber, etc. And what kind of jigs would you suggest? All I've got are Crappie jigs for trout, so I should go buy some others I'm sure, but what kind?
Also, where exactly do you fish? Flaming Guiser, Kanasket-Palmer, etc..?
Thanks a bunch for all the info you guys are helpin out a lot!

#66612 - 06/05/02 06:54 PM Re: The GREEN!!
Jigman Offline
Spawner

Loc: Seattle
The Green is high but fishable, took a nice summer fish tuesday afternoon. Both Geyser and Palmer are good bets. Go with 1/4 oz. jigs in brighter colors for the water conditions. Cork floats work fine and you can find a good selection of steelhead jigs at Auburn sports.

#66613 - 06/05/02 07:21 PM Re: The GREEN!!
PhishPhreak Offline
Repeat Spawner

Check out the Salmon\Steelhead forum next door. Do a search for jigs and you'll find a month worth of reading.

Many like a longer (10 or more feet) ligher rod, power pro line (for visiblity, castablitilty, and mendability\less belly drag) with an 8 to 10 lb UG leader (lighter if the water is lower and clearer). I like slip bobbers myself. But I really suggest checking out the archived topics next door, determing what you think sounds like the best advice, and giving it a shot. Over time, you'll figure out your own way to do it and decide what gear setup works best for you.

Good luck!

#66614 - 06/05/02 08:08 PM Re: The GREEN!!
F F F Offline
Returning Adult

Well this is what i use just about everytime i go for steelhead. It all has to do with that stupid superstition crap......anyways..but it always seems to work no matter what the hole is like.

I use a Mack's glow slip bobber with the yellow and orange foam. You've seen them, and i haven't had any problem with the bright colors spooking the fish, but other people swear it does and it is summer so i would look for a wood color or just cork bobber. What matters is the shape and size. Slender floats zip under when you get a bite or tap bottom. I like that, some don't. But i think the least amount of resistance when a strike occurs is best, ensuring the fish won't let go right away also revealing suttle takes. Also giving you a mental image of the bottom conture as the jig ticks the bottom. Again i belive the macks float works just fine for the price.

I use a micro pinch weight for the stopper, works great. Next a small crome or black bearing swivel. 2-10ft of McCoy Mean Green 12lb. Green hides the line pretty well and the 12lb is only for the fact that your jig and line get beat up pretty well in the Green R. 8lb or less is probably better for summer, depending on clarity. Leader depth will vary by hole depth. I go 1-2ft less than what i think the deepest part is then adjust accordingly with the stopper. Then a barbless jig.

I like jigalous alot but macks has some nice small chinelle bodies jigs also that have good strong hooks. Small is the idea. Dark colors for bright days, black, purple,drk green and drk reds. Lighter pinks reds whites in just about any design. Maribou, chenille, beads, 1-3" small rubber worms all work. But the color rules can go right out the window in a snap. It all depends on the fish's mood. Lightly tipping jigs with prawns,shrimp or eggs also works. Remember, your imitating a shrimp or minnow. Now depending on jig head size and current speed, you may have to put a #5 or bigger pinch weight 1-3ft above your jig to get it down fast and keep it there. I always use one about 2 ft up. Then i know i'm in the zone within seconds.Just off bottom to a foot up is best. Also i suggest a high vis green main line in 8lb on a 8.5ft or bigger med action rod so drifting, mending and casting is very easy to do. You can view the results of this exact setup on my homepage. laugh

Personally i like Kanaskat and up. You know they are there, it's just a matter of catching them.
Also there is a nice hole below Flaming geyser park with a 100+yard tailout known as the strawberry patch hole(if you know the area) which is nice for long drifts. Both are good. Pretty much everything downstream from 18 is so so bobber water. Defined holes or big rocks are the best places. But i'm no expert this just works hassle and snag free for me. Well usually snag free. Remember, if you get nothing, change colors and action. I made 6 bait changes in the same hole before hooking my last fish of the year in March. LOL Hope that helps.

#66615 - 06/06/02 12:00 AM Re: The GREEN!!
Easy Limits Offline
River Nutrients

While I was out this afternoon looking for my stolen truck I noticed a few guys at car body hole, below Flaming G., and at Kanaskat P. I did not stop to see how they were doing. There are guys fishing the Green though.

#66616 - 06/06/02 01:15 AM Re: The GREEN!!
Dogfish Offline
Poodle Smolt

Loc: McCleary, WA
Uh, Jigs don't work. Don't waste your time. wink

Some folks use the dink floats, others use the largest size cheaters, and others use walmart bobbers. They all work, just depends on your style. I started using fluorocarbon for leader material, about 2 feet at a time. You can go heavier on your leader, and not spook the fish.

Some folks also use a small jig, like 1/8th oz, when fished in conjunction with split shot or hollow core, but that depends on your float. Get a selection of jigs (always buy two of each color), and if you end up liking them, buy a mold, and pour your own. The cost goes from $1.50-2.50 per jig down to about 12 cents per jig. I usually lose 5-10 a trip. I'm just a cheap banker, so I like to lose a lot of money but just a little at a time.

They call me POODLE SMOLT!

The Discover Pass is brought to you by your friends at the CCA.

#66617 - 06/06/02 04:24 PM Re: The GREEN!!
WINGWANG Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: kent
JIGS ARE THE BEST BET FOR THE GREEN !!!!!!!!!!!
That is the only way that I have caught a Steely out of the Green. Not to mention some nice Trout. I have found some Combo's that have worked the best for me but you will have to E-mail me for the color combo's. Hell I will even give you some of my creations if you have a drift boat and let me fish off it. laugh .

#66618 - 06/06/02 04:36 PM Re: The GREEN!!
PhishPhreak Offline
Repeat Spawner

Can you fish 'off' d-boats on the green?

#66619 - 06/06/02 04:42 PM Re: The GREEN!!
Easy Limits Offline
River Nutrients

Check the NEW regs. I am sure you can fish from a d-boat, seen people doing it, above Hwy 18 bridge during certain times of the year.

READ THE REGS CAREFULLY! The Green is split into four different regulated sections. eek

#66620 - 06/06/02 10:25 PM Re: The GREEN!!
Spawner

Hey thanks a bunch guys! I'll go check out Work Sports & Outdoor and get some maribous and any other kinda i can find. Thanks for all the help, I've never gotten a single steelhead before! This is the summer!

#66621 - 06/07/02 05:40 AM Re: The GREEN!!
Metalhead Mojo Offline
Spawner

Loc: Browns Point
does anyone know if there is access to the green at the 169 bridge? ive seen people fishing down there when i drove over it before and it looks like you would have to park at the bridge and climb down the steep hill, and that looks kind of dangerous. is there an easier way down there? you can email me if you prefer. thanks.

#66622 - 06/07/02 09:23 AM Re: The GREEN!!
Easy Limits Offline
River Nutrients

I was thinking that very same thing the other day when I was driving over it. I don't know. You could just jump I guess. laugh Just kidding. I think you would have to go upstream to Kanaskat Palmer S.P.

#66623 - 06/07/02 11:34 AM Re: The GREEN!!
PhishPhreak Offline
Repeat Spawner

I've seen guys hike down that canyon from the bridge. Never done it myself though.

#66624 - 06/07/02 07:18 PM Re: The GREEN!!
F F F Offline
Returning Adult

Question......Do any of you have a girlfriend or wife that keeps buggin you to go steelheading even when it's raining??? confused (dumb question but i have to ask) Or should i say is your wife/gf that damm cool? laugh laugh

Well i do and i'm glad i do cuz she proved me wrong once again today. I finally said OK to her asking all morning and eggin me to go to the Green. Thinkin the rain and high water would make it not worth the time. Just a hassle i said. I Had to dig up all my stuff but we got on the water at about 11:30.

Fished the car body hole just below 18. No one in site. Water was stained and running fast and high. Vis was about 3 feet.I started to rig up with corky and eggs. And i look up and see my G/F setting the hook numerous times. I'm thinkin she's bumping bottom and just not use to the feeling of it and thinking they're bites.(remind you this is only her second time fishing for steelhead ever) I get my line almost tied and i hear YEAH!! and i look up and sure as sheeit she's got one on. A 10 minute fight insued then finally she lands her first Summer buck, that weighed in at 8lbs. 2nd chromie ever. It was a hatchery fish so she decided to bonk it.

This was almost an exact replay of the first time i ever took her steelheading, except she hooked a 11lb Winter Nate on her first cast. And both times i told her that what she was tieing on wasn't good for Steelhead. Now she's gotten me to believe in the power of the Rooster Tail. Just casting across and driftin the swing. Numerous raibows jumping and a few bigger fish also. I had no idea that there were that many big fish in the river already. Hooked 2 11" rainbows also, so no skunkfish this time. Off the water by 1:00.

This has caused a dilemma. If the steelhead are here in numbers, then i have to scrap the idea of spending more time bass fishing this year. laugh

If you get out, bring a garbage bag with you. The litter was unbelievable. I could have gotten rich off the cans alone.

#66625 - 06/07/02 07:39 PM Re: The GREEN!!
Easy Limits Offline
River Nutrients

Damn you FFF! Always scoring fish on the Green. laugh laugh How come we/I never catch anything when I go with you. confused

I have heard the best time to fish is when the water is just starting to drop. Sounds like you had perfect timing. rolleyes

#66626 - 06/08/02 11:53 AM Re: The GREEN!!
F F F Offline
Returning Adult

Yeah i think your right Carl. Wed hadn't really got any significant rain in the last 3 days and the green is known to clear out quite quickly so i though maybe some nice water might be waiting for us. It was almost muddy looking though. It was just one of those right time at the right spot, situation.

Everyone says that steelhead are really smart and finicky. In a way that is true. Finicky, i'd say cuz of the few numbers make it seem this way. But the smart part, to me, is there internal instinct to conserve energy. USE THIS!! I have yet to catch one out of swift water. I always see plunkers looking for the deepest or the middle part of the river to fish. But most of the fish are takin it easy hugging the shoreline. Even right below your feet. I'll be out lookin for more fish later today. One more thing. That buck had pure white meat, and damm it tasted so good. Too bad my g/f can't keep anymore since our self-imposed 1 keeper steelhead per year rule came into effect. A very good rule i must say.(this rule excludes the 20lb Native class laugh ) Anyone need a guide on the Green? laugh laugh

That pic of the fish should be up on my homepage in a few days if anyone is interested. http://hometown.aol.com/NWNatives

#66627 - 06/08/02 06:55 PM Re: The GREEN!!
HSL Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: seattle
Stifler: It IS possible to hike down from the bridge, but it's a pain in the arse. I've done it once myself, and I don't know if I'd do it again. I found myself in a situation where it was wet and muddy and steeper in one spot (towards the bottom) that I imagined--probably not the safest thing I've done in my life.

#66628 - 06/09/02 01:30 AM Re: The GREEN!!
Spawner

lol I'll take a guide anyday. I dunno about anytime soon unfortunately cause its so high... the whole safety thing kinda comes into play. Whats your email so i can get ahold of you in the next couple weeks or so?

#66629 - 06/09/02 02:06 AM Re: The GREEN!!
F F F Offline
Returning Adult

Stifler, what road is 169? Carl mentioned you may have to go up higher to Kanaskat so are you talking the Black Diamond Enumclaw road? And the huge bridge just out of Black Diamond? If so, that is a great spot and the climb ain't nothin'.

Just look for the sign that is nailed up on a tree and walk down that trail. It's where the barrier starts to push out towards the lane. There's a great hole with a 50 yard tailout as soon as you get off the trail. Nice and deep with few snags. Perfect hole for plugs, jigs or spoons. But if you get to the the end of the trail where there's one steep spot just above the river, look to your right and there's another trail going into the trees. You'll know your on it cuz in the first 30 yards of it you have to climb over a very big log. Follow that down to the end and you come up to a dogleg left in the river and it creates a huge pool. Great spot for big rainbows and steel. Not all that great of a spot in high water though. The lower hole is much better. You can also walk downriver under the bridge. There's a few good spots there too. Make sure you bring your boots.

#66630 - 06/09/02 02:07 AM Re: The GREEN!!
Easy Limits Offline
River Nutrients

When salmon are in (September - November) I can be your guide. wink This whole steelhead thing has got me stumped. Maybe I need a guide too. frown
Heck, even when I had a professional guide on the Lewis I still got skunked. rolleyes

#66631 - 06/09/02 12:34 PM Re: The GREEN!!
Easy Limits Offline
River Nutrients

FFF, Hwy 169 runs from Renton through Maple Valley to Enumscratch. You drive through it on your way to Kanaskat P. when you are on Kent-Kangley (Hwy 516).

#66632 - 06/09/02 03:27 PM Re: The GREEN!!
F F F Offline
Returning Adult

I just got back from the green. It sure looks alot better than Friday. Quite a few people on the river. Saw 4 driftboats go by. One guys said he had 2 winter run on just 5 minutes out of the launch just downriver from Flaming Geyser. Pink Corkie and prawn. No one at Metzler park or the upper Strawberry patch hole. So i stopped there and threw a spinner for half hour. Then switched to an orange jig and float and hooked up on my first cast but lost it. Seems as though there are alot of fish around.

Anything up high yet, anyone???

Ps. Email is on the envelope icon above my posts.

#66633 - 06/10/02 03:03 AM Re: The GREEN!!
WINGWANG Offline
Juvenille at Sea

I can not believe the size of the rainbows !!!! eek I hooked one that had to be at least 20 in. I talked to many people at Palmer and they had no luck. THE WATER IS VERY HIGH. I went to a zipper-lip local and same thing monster rainbows but no steelies. I am still willing to trade hand tied jigs for a float on the Green. laugh

#66634 - 06/13/02 03:39 PM Re: The GREEN!!
BERKLEY BOY75 Offline
Spawner

Loc: AUBURN
fff, if you happen to be goingfishing on the green say anytime during the week in the coming months, would you happen to want to show me that place with the monster rainbows?? i release jus about anything, except hatchery steels and kings/coho..anyways, i want to learn some other holes on the green **berkley boy**

#66635 - 06/13/02 05:44 PM Re: The GREEN!!
F F F Offline
Returning Adult

Well, i dont' know what Wang is talking about, if he means there's alot of them.

I know there are nice rainbows in the Green but there aren't too many of them. I've fished the Green along time for bows and up till about 6 years ago the biggest fish of all my friends i took up there and including myself was 14". It was a nice fish but not big like most rivers. But i went up to the Black Diamond Bridge hole and hiked up to the dogleg with a buddy in August(the hole i mentioned previously) and landed a nice 18" bow.

But i've seen people walk out of that same hole with 14-17" fish. I'ts said that the Green doesn't carry the same mineral content of other rivers around here and it make slow growing for the bows. And i think if someone is so lucky to hook a nice fish, it's most likely they will keep it. Not exatally helping out the population any.

Although, my friends and I have fished mid summer in low water up at Kanaskat park many times. Take your first right and drive to the gate and walk down to the river. We hiked upstream fishing small yellow roosters and just killin fish between 8-13". I mean like 15-20 fish apiece. So that kinda says the population is good. But where the hell are the grandpas??? confused

So i don't know if i can help ya on that one. laugh Just pick an area and jump in. Don't think of just fishing pools. Every 2 foot rock is a potential resting spot for a fatty.

#66636 - 06/14/02 12:52 AM Re: The GREEN!!
spoonman Offline
Parr

Loc: kent,wa
Probably most of those rainbows are actually salmon or steelhead smolts. On the Green I fish only for steelhead if I am catching this smolts I move to a different area of the river or different techique. Why ruin a possible 14lb fish to bring home a 14 inch fish? I use 1/0 hook unfortulately some smolts die in the process not a good feeling. I caught over 20 steelhead on the green last year(hatchery only kept). I am very gentle in setting the hook when the smolts are abundant.Trying to catch a 14 inch resident trout is not very common on the green. You are probably actually catching these smolts or young steelhead. To target this fish is hurting the return of the large fish. If you must try to catch this small fish use techiques that are fish friendly (barbless,fly, no bait). My comments are just my thoughts about my home river. I don't mean to offend anyone just want to keep the river healthly with adult steelhead.

Tight lines

#66637 - 06/14/02 11:16 AM Re: The GREEN!!
BERKLEY BOY75 Offline
Spawner

i went to the green last night 6/13, and i caight 2 smolts which were released and i handle them some what gently, as there was no place to land them, i was on a embankment..i know the differnace between a smolt and a resident trout, there body shape for example, but as spoonman says, why keep a 14" when it could come back as a adult to 14#, i agree with that also...**berkley boy**

#66638 - 06/14/02 01:32 PM Re: The GREEN!!
HSL Offline
Juvenille at Sea

I tend to agree with Spoonman; most of these small "rainbows" are probably steelhead smolts and should be left alone. Just curious: how can one tell the difference between a resident rainbow and a steelhead smolt? At what size (how many inches long) do smolts make their way to sea?

#66639 - 06/14/02 06:11 PM Re: The GREEN!!
F F F Offline
Returning Adult

It's pretty easy to tell the salmon smolt from the rainbows. The pattern on their sides is pretty obvious. And i always thought the steelhead smolt look a little similar to the salmon smolt a little less silver than the salmon. But that i'm not sure of. You do catch one now and then but most are rainbows. That's why we stuck with yellow. It picked up more rainbows than not. White seems to be the color for salmon, from smolt up to adult, even spawners.

#66640 - 06/14/02 06:18 PM Re: The GREEN!!
F F F Offline
Returning Adult

One other thing just so it doesn't sound like we are raping the green of rainbows or smolt of any kind, we have never, in the 16 years of fishing it, kept 1 single fish except for 8 steelhead. It's just not worth the impact on the system, to me anyways.

#66641 - 06/14/02 06:32 PM Re: The GREEN!!
Spawner

Wow... look what ive created!

#66642 - 06/14/02 07:28 PM Re: The GREEN!!
HSL Offline
Juvenille at Sea

For what it's worth, I found this interesting post on the Washington Fly Fishing site about this very subject (resident trout vs. steelhead smolt). I'm not trying to stir any trouble or do any fingerpointing here; I'm just enjoying the exchange of ideas and trying to educate myself. Anyway, here's the post:

Well I imagine you're not too confused about the difference between adult rainbows and juvenile steelhead. The question seems to be how to tell the difference between juvenile (read small) residents, and juvenile steelhead. Unfortunately, the short answer is you can't, not in the field anyway, unless the steelhead is actually "smolting." (That is, preparing to make the transition to saltwater; its scales will be fine and silvery, sluffing off easily when handled.)
What most of us refer to as "smolts" are usually steelhead parr. They generally won't be bigger than 6-8 inches, with rare individuals up to about ten inches. Some notable exceptions can occur in the southern range -- CA and far-southern OR -- where some coastal steelhead streams can go subterraneon at their mouths for years at a time. The juvenile steelhead involutarily "residualize" in the somewhat brackish lagoons, reaching lengths commonly up to 16". Meanwhile of course, the stream is gathering no annual runs of anadromous spawners. Fairly consistent fisheries can develop for these lagoon "trout." When conditions finally allow the mouths to break open, the "trout" almost immediately disappear, and the stream starts gathering genetically distinct anadromous steelhead again.

One of the many things those cases illustrate is the amazing life-history flexibility of steelhead/rainbows. Other posters on this thread have noted the tendency of juvenile steelhead to residualise. But it works in reverse as well. "Resident" rainbows can provide a genetic "bank" for sympatric steelhead populations, when resident rainbows and steelhead spawn together (documented in many areas of the range). Also, resident rainbows (even if both parents were residents) can and will spontaneously smolt and become anadromous (lots of cases all over Washington). This can be an important factor for populations that could use any kind of a demographic leg up (don't suppose there are any of those around here, huh?).

So the long and short of it is that any juvenile rainbow under 8" in an anadromous stream-reach is a possible (or potential) steelhead. The chances go up in rivers with a large ratio of steelhead to resident-rainbows (like most westside Washington streams).

I'll don the professor's cap (he should come with a companion emocon that he's putting to sleep), even though I don't know that I've answered your question. I guess I'd have to say that if you're into nothing but sub-8s with adipose fins on the North-Fork Sky, or the Tolt, or someplace similar, and catching juvenile steelhead bothers you, it wouldn't hurt to move on. Now of course we could get into a whole other discussion of when, where, how, why, and if it's OK to C&R juvenile steelhead. Like everything else, the answers certainly wouldn't be cut and dry.

#66643 - 06/15/02 05:54 AM Re: The GREEN!!
WINGWANG Offline
Juvenille at Sea

I tell you what guys I have fished alot of holes on the Upper Green. I recently went to a spot not known for Fishing and came to a question that I could not answer. Why are the trout so much bigger this year? I am targeting Steelies and nailing Trout that are in the 15 to 20 Inch range. I do not like to share fishing tactics (a topic between me and my buddies) wink but will tell you I am bobber fishing. I finally landed one of the suckers and it looked exactly like the ones I was hooking into last weekend. I banked 4 (one deffinetly close to 20 IN.(released all)) and lost one that was comparible to the biggest of the day.

Now another question:
Do you think that Steely season will arrive early due to the amount of water in the river?? Or, will they return when their instincts tell them that it is time?? confused Any and all input would be appreciated.

#66644 - 06/15/02 05:52 PM Re: The GREEN!!
HSL Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Wingwang: Is it possible that the 15 to 20 inch trout are actually steelhead jacks, meaning steelies that only spent one year at sea? You might check to see if they have clipped adipose fins. Just a thought...

Good luck!

#66645 - 06/16/02 04:39 AM Re: The GREEN!!
WINGWANG Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Believe me man I was looking for clipped fins. These were 100% rainbows.

#66646 - 06/16/02 11:14 AM Re: The GREEN!!
F F F Offline
Returning Adult

I heard at the end of November last year that the Kanaskat hachery has been closed down these last 3 years making this years run the last of the hatchery fish.(i know, they can go longer) Has anyone else heard this? That might explain why everyone i talk to say they have only caught natives lately. I know steelhead come and go as they please but if this is true then no more hatchery fish of any size should be in the river right now accept for the returners. Right? How long to smolt stay in the river? And can they grow to 15" in one year? I don't think the green can sustain growth of that rate.

#66647 - 06/16/02 09:10 PM Re: The GREEN!!
spoonman Offline
Parr

Wingwang those fish probably immature wild steelhead. How was the fight? Resident rainbow don't seem to fight very hard.

FFF The hatchery is still in operation I believe the fish are started some where else but get imprinted at Palmer. Also they are releasing Fall Kings smolt from a undisclosed location in the upper river.

#66648 - 06/17/02 12:45 PM Re: The GREEN!!
F F F Offline
Returning Adult

Yeah they are also planning a fish managment center and a new Salmon Hatchery up at the headworks. Also, everytime i've driven by the Kanaskat hatchery it looks run down. I've never seen fish in it and it's always badly infested with millweed. And the nets are all holey. Not exactally the place to raise fragile steelhead fry, compared to other steelhead hatcheries i've seen. Are you sure? Is there another place they are being introduced in? This has interested me quite abit this year. Any definate info would be great. The hatchery and fish management center were said to be finished by 2004. But you know how that goes. Strange they put a hatchery right in and ontop of native spawning grounds. That don't seem right.

Hope your goin barbless Wang... 2 is your limit

So...you say you were up high and got these fish? I may see you up there soon. And are you going to disclose what you caught them on or are you going to be a tight !#% ? laugh Good goin on the fish man!

#66649 - 06/17/02 05:50 PM Re: The GREEN!!
WINGWANG Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Yeah FFF, no problem man i will tell you what I was using when I meet you up there. wink I took my dad up to my honey hole and we got straight SKUNKED eek we both caught a couple of immature Jacks and my dad hooked into something that had his rodtip touching his toes for a few seconds and that was it. The only info I will release about what i was using is that i made it. :p

#66650 - 06/17/02 07:11 PM Re: The GREEN!!
PhishPhreak Offline
Repeat Spawner

Cool - must be fun getting some action on your homemade float and jigs (do you make the floats too?).

#66651 - 06/18/02 01:55 AM Re: The GREEN!!
F F F Offline
Returning Adult

I'll show you my honeyhole if you show me yours.

Anyone familiar with the trail that leads down into the gorge just before the green river gorge park bridge, the one laner??? On the black diamond side.? The one that is just before all the houses next to the bridge? That has some access to some very sweet and untouched holes. I know there are new houses up by the trail and was wondering if you can still get to it.

#66652 - 06/21/02 03:01 AM Re: The GREEN!!
WINGWANG Offline
Juvenille at Sea

sorry it took so long to get back to you guys:
sure FFF we should hook up some time and fish some holes up there. I love the Green. Although the last 2 times I fished it (last sunday and today) I didn't even get a nibble. The river looks higher to me than it did 2 weeks ago. Some day soon I hope to float the Green and see the river from a hole new perspective. I just got layed off again monday so I am now a professional Green river fisherman. laugh And no PhishPhreak I didn't even know you could tie your own floats. Yeah you can still access the Gorge trail but I usually don't fish there till the water drops some. You ever fished Cpt. Kirk's hole by there it is a good mid July spot but it is an all-day hike to get there. N-E-how man E-mail me and maybe we can hook up. wingythefurry@hotmail.com make sure to put GREEN RIVER in the subject line.

#66653 - 06/25/02 06:09 PM Re: The GREEN!!
F F F Offline
Returning Adult

Cool, i have some time off too. Me and a friend are going up to the strawberry patch holes today. Hopefully we hook up. Good, i'm glad that trail is still acessable. Never heard of the Capt. Kirk Hole. I just know that trail leads to some prime holes. I'll drop you a line and we'll hook up.

Those pictures are up on my site now if you want to check them out. Steelhead Page 3. Check out the Mackinaw Page 3 also. We caught some fatties this weekend.

#66654 - 06/25/02 07:49 PM Re: The GREEN!!
F F F Offline
Returning Adult

Here, don't know why i just did'nt do this before. And no, that's not me...LOL Dam g/f and her dam luck.

#66655 - 06/25/02 08:50 PM Re: The GREEN!!
Spawner

What was the method and where?

#66656 - 06/26/02 02:27 AM Re: The GREEN!!
F F F Offline
Returning Adult

Fan drifting a pink roostertail at the carbody hole. It's the hole that you access from the railroad tracks near highway 18, just off the blackdiamond exit. She caught this one the same way at the 272nd bridge hole near the Auburn Golf Course. Her first steelhead ever on her first cast. An orange rooster fooled this thick winter native. Though this picture doesn't show the thickness of this fish. Sweet though.

#66657 - 06/26/02 10:57 AM Re: The GREEN!!
Easy Limits Offline
River Nutrients

Where is the Capt. Kirk Hole?? confused On a planet far far away. laugh

#66658 - 06/26/02 01:34 PM Re: The GREEN!!
tks Offline
Fry

I floated it Friday alone. Had first water all the way down. Used eggs, shrimp and spinners. Didn't touch or see anything except for a few cutthroat. Conditions were great. I haven't figured out the jig thing yet but always try for a while. A few suspicious takes but never claim to hook any unless confirmed chrome flashes and line peeling. I'll probablty give it a go next week during the week. Hopefully more are holding down low. Anyway just thought I'd let you know. Tom

#66659 - 06/27/02 02:47 AM Re: The GREEN!!
F F F Offline
Returning Adult

Me and a friend fished the carbody hole all the way down to the logjam and saw 3 big fish jump, 2 just as we walked up on the corner hole. Threw everything at them with only 1 take on a jig and 3 rainbows on roosters. Water was pretty low kinda stained still. Talked to a guy that was fishing the slot below us and he had 2 fish in 30 minutes. He even left and came back with fresh eggs. So i guess i believe him. Saw some pretty nice bows nailing flies in the slow water.

#66660 - 06/27/02 07:37 PM Re: The GREEN!!
Spawner

Yo! If I set up a driftin rig... with the weight like, RIGHT at the three-way swivel, and a rooster tail tipped with a tiny bit of worm at 30 inches down, think ill pull anything in at flaming guiser?

#66661 - 06/27/02 10:15 PM Re: The GREEN!!
F F F Offline
Returning Adult

Just a single pinch weight #5 or bigger and a regular swivel with a 3 foot leader will work fine. If you tip it with a worm expect the little bows to rape you clean. If your going for bows, just one pinch weight and a worm works great and you can catch and release as many as you want on bait as long as they are under 14". 14" and up you must count as your daily take released or not.(page 57)

#66662 - 06/28/02 05:58 PM Re: The GREEN!!
Jigman Offline
Spawner

Fished the Green 2 mornings this week and got a nice summer hen on each morning, 6 1/2 pounds on Monday and 8 pounds this morning......both on Jigs. Water had a little color this morning compared to monday. Also caught 2 nice trout (around a pound each) also on the same jig.

#66663 - 06/30/02 04:58 PM Re: The GREEN!!
tks Offline
Fry

Jigman, I'll trade you a ride down the river this week for a lesson on the fine art of jigging. Rolling a sandy through there doesn't seem to be producing as well as your jigs. You may be fishing a different area. Email me if your interested.

#66664 - 06/30/02 08:02 PM Re: The GREEN!!
Jigman Offline
Spawner

Won't be doing any floating this week. I've been fishing up above Flaming Geyser park. There's not alot of fish yet but there should be better numbers soon.

#66665 - 06/30/02 08:41 PM Re: The GREEN!!
Easy Limits Offline
River Nutrients

I have heard steelheading is best a day or two after a good shot of rain. So I would imagine Monday or Tuesday to be good.

#66666 - 07/02/02 07:11 AM Re: The GREEN!!
WINGWANG Offline
Juvenille at Sea

heading to the green as I type. Or I mean uhh, right after i type. will report later.

#66667 - 07/02/02 09:00 PM Re: The GREEN!!
WINGWANG Offline
Juvenille at Sea

well I got skunked !!!!!!!!!!!! I hooked up once at around noon and head shook the hook right out of its mouth. I am not to sad knowing that this is only the beginning of what seems to be a promising summer laugh

#66668 - 07/02/02 10:41 PM Re: The GREEN!!
WINGWANG Offline
Juvenille at Sea

ok guys I know what your saying three posts in a row??? Well, I am just making up for lost time. laugh I just want to keep this Post at the top as to get any and all info from the faithful Green feeshermen. My offer still stands to you FFF about going and assaulting some steelies. Also if any one out there would like to trade some hand tied Jigs or flies just post here and maybe we can work something out.

#66669 - 07/03/02 10:07 PM Re: The GREEN!!
F F F Offline
Returning Adult

Sure, i'm all for that. I think maybe next monday or tuesday will work best for me. Shoot me an email and we'll get this thing rollin.

I fished Kanaskat on Saturday. Had the whole place to myself. The water was perfect at 600cfps. Had one fish on for about 5 seconds driftin eggs under a float. Ran out of eggs and fished jigs and hooked 5 in about 45 minutes, then i woke up. And then i lost my bobber. Then i lost my temper and taught that dam bush a lesson.
Dam bush....

#66670 - 07/04/02 01:21 AM Re: The GREEN!!
Spawner

hey sweet!! burn that grass! I mean... laugh

#66671 - 07/05/02 11:31 PM Re: The GREEN!!
WINGWANG Offline
Juvenille at Sea

cool FFF maybe we can hook up next Mon. or Tues. My GF is gonna be gone for the next 2and a half weeks. Since I am currently not working that means that I am gonna be bouncing back and forth between Des Moines and the green. laugh

#66672 - 07/08/02 02:23 AM Re: The GREEN!!
WINGWANG Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Hey FFF,
I see you lurking around in the Forums but I can not get your attention. laugh Any how looks like the Green is gonna be washed out Mon. and Tues. eek

#66673 - 07/08/02 12:40 PM Re: The GREEN!!
F F F Offline
Returning Adult

Actually i just got back sunday from our camping/fishing trip. Thought i would post last night but it was late and my arms were sore from catching fish laugh . Thursday looks good for me for either Redondo or the Green. The Green is probably better cuz i have a little one to take to school at 8:40 and i like to hit the salt early. But like you said the Green is probably wasted right now(942cfps). BUT that made no difference to that summer buck i posted a few weeks back. Either thursday after i drop the little one off or anyday after 4:30pm will work for me. You pick.

Here's a link to flow rates if your interested. http://wwwdwatcm.wr.usgs.gov/rt-cgi/gen_tbl_pg

#66674 - 07/08/02 03:33 PM Re: The GREEN!!
WINGWANG Offline
Juvenille at Sea

cool man,
thursday sounds good to me. I will meet you anywhere on the Green that you want. I am burned out on the Salt for the week, after literally getting blown off the water on sunday. I am gonna need a couple of days of recovery time after pulling up 3 crab pots with 100' of rope in 15 min. also, I fished the Green on Sat. and man I couldn't even catch a trout. Any how reply or E-mail me as to if thursday is still gonna work.

#66675 - 07/09/02 10:50 PM Re: The GREEN!!
F F F Offline
Returning Adult

Well as luck would have it my email server is down so WW if you get this i can meet up with you TOMORROW(wed) at the carbody hole just south of the highways 18 bridge at the railroad tracks at around 530-600pm if that will work for you. Sorry i can't do it earlier but i can't. My truck is a red 82 Silverado with a primer hood and primer on the rear quaters. If you don't see me once you hit the river, then walk downstream and follow the trail to the corner hole. I'll be wearing a hat that says work sucks i'm going fishing, if you don't already know what i look like. See you there...

#66676 - 07/10/02 06:18 AM Re: The GREEN!!
WINGWANG Offline
Juvenille at Sea

well man i can not make it Wednesday. A friend of mine and I are taking his boat out to the Sound. How about Thursday morning as a dayto hit the Green? Reply or E-mail man and will set a Steelie slaying appointment. laugh

#66677 - 07/11/02 12:11 PM Re: The GREEN!!
F F F Offline
Returning Adult

Well wing, you'll be happy to know that you didnt miss much except for a bunch of A holes that thought they owned the river.

I get down there at about 5pm, a few cars already there and a few pulling up. So i hurry to get goin and rush down the trail hoping the spot is not taken yet. I get there and no one is in site. I drifted eggs and shrimp and jigs for about 20 minutes off of the small beach at the hole. About 25-30 feet long and 15feet up the bank. But quickly the smile was wiped from my face. A group of people, 4guys and 2 women and their kids walked out from the brush and came over right next to me and whispered under their breath that THIS looked like the perfect spot to swim. Of course the women dissagree and urge the guys to leave me be. BUT NOOOOOOOOOO, the biggest Ahole walks right over next to me and yells at the top of his lungs that THERE ARE 5 MILLION FISH IN THE RIVER, AM I GOING TO SCARE THEM ALL AWAY...then screams as loud as he could again and ran and jumped in 5 feet away from me. Splashed as much as he could while urging his buddies to jump in too.

Seeing that he didn't phase me, he splashed all over and started throwing rocks and branches then decides he'll swim across the hole and back hopeing to get rid of me. Think i moved??? HELL NO. I acted like they weren't even there, and payed them just as much respect by casting as close as i could to this idiot. I made sure that they would have to do better than that to take away the whole beach from me. I slowely moved up the beach squeezing them onto a 5 ft area of the shoreline. Ensureing that the only place they could swim in was in the swift current coming into the hole. So that left me with 25ft of beach that they wanted soooo badly. LOL. SCREW THEM they can wait untill i'm done. So about 45minutes later the biggest Ahole with the mouth like a bullhorn decides to end it by "accidentlly" getting caught in the current which forced him to swim right infront of me where i was casting, SO i casted right over him. LOLLOL He looks up and gives me this dirty look like i'm doing something wrong. So i gave him the evil eye back and he was shocked that i'd do such a thing.I finally moved after that. Idiots.

During this display of dissrespect i overheard the other guys talking about how their buddy just went to jail for selling LSD and how the stuff they have right now was better and they talked about how to make it and the best way to take it. I just wanted to say that i was an off dutie officer and they better get the fugg out or go to jail. But i was outnumbered and they were high. Not a good situation to deal with.

So if you see a 77-80 model chevy that is a puke yellow/tan and all beat up with a few new dents courtesy of me, that's them.

Get your favorite buzzbomb with your biggest trebles and show them some respect for me if you encounter these retards. I get no respect, no respect. One funny thing....Mouthboy stepped on a gami after his last display of stupidity. BWAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

All they had to do was ask, and i would have moved on.

#66678 - 07/11/02 01:41 PM Re: The GREEN!!
Easy Limits Offline
River Nutrients

Just another reason to pack heat. eek

And you thought you were going down to the river to fish for metalheads not methheads. laugh

#66679 - 07/11/02 02:11 PM Re: The GREEN!!
WINGWANG Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Man FFF I hate being put in that position. That is why I disapear into the Canyon this time of year.
I think I am yo sunburned to leave the house today (Thursday), But am planning on doing some fishing later today at the spot we talked about wink . Give me a call or E-mail me man and bring some spoons so I can see what the heck you do with them. laugh

#66680 - 07/12/02 03:33 AM Re: The GREEN!!
WINGWANG Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Well I feeshed the Trestle today and didn't even get a nibble. Although I only fished an hour and a half.

#66681 - 07/17/02 05:53 PM Re: The GREEN!!
WINGWANG Offline
Juvenille at Sea

I was just wondering if anyone has fished the Green within the last few days??? I have been working my at my new job 10hrs on 6hrs off so i need some encouragement about some of the green reports.

#66682 - 07/18/02 12:42 AM Re: The GREEN!!
Spawner

Yes I AGREE!! Tell FFF!! How is the green??

#66683 - 07/21/02 02:37 PM Re: The GREEN!!
WINGWANG Offline
Juvenille at Sea

well guys looks like my nearest day off is tuesday. Have any of you had any luck on the Green???

#66684 - 07/21/02 09:01 PM Re: The GREEN!!
Spawner

This is the week bro. I'm headin out and tryin to hook me one of those steelies FFF is always braggin bout.

#66685 - 07/21/02 09:38 PM Re: The GREEN!!
F F F Offline
Returning Adult

Braggin? Nah, braggin about my g/f's? yeah. So i guess that's pointless bragging. Well i have been fishing for Salmon and Mackinaw lately and haven't had time to get on the river. But it looks in great shape. I think tuesday i will be fishing Kanaskat park at about 630am, or as soon as the gate opens. So if you and WINGWANG want to meet me there that would work. Bring your waders. laugh

#66686 - 07/21/02 09:59 PM Re: The GREEN!!
Spawner

Hey FFF me and my grandpa were gonna be fishin flaming guiser on tues... might as well go to kanasket instead if a pro gonna be there smile

Where do you normally fish at kanasket?

#66687 - 07/21/02 10:04 PM Re: The GREEN!!
F F F Offline
Returning Adult

I'll be at the hatchery hole or the rock hole as it is sometimes called. Follow the road all the way in and park in the spaces next to the big sign on the right and walk down that big trail. It comes out right on the hole. You have to get in the water to fish it properly, unless the water is way down.

#66688 - 07/21/02 10:51 PM Re: The GREEN!!
Spawner

What gear should I be using? drift, flies, etc? Sounds like a blast, and its only 5 minutes away laugh

#66689 - 07/22/02 01:55 AM Re: The GREEN!!
F F F Offline
Returning Adult

Well i'll be using what i have been pointing out on this thread, bobber and something. The hole is about 40-50ft long about 6-8ft deep and kinda slow. But the tail out is split by a limestone wall. So drifting is sorta unique there. Softball to soccer sized rocks make up alot of the bottom. I've drifted before but snagged after the first few casts. Since this wall is in the tailout and a huge rock is just above it, you get 2 completely different paths up the river, both almost the same so if your thinking about ease of fishing for Grandpa, i'd say the other side would work just as well or better. You have less casting to do to reach the drift. And you don't have to get in the water. Up to you though. If you need directions to the other side, just say so.

#66690 - 07/22/02 03:49 AM Re: The GREEN!!
WINGWANG Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Well Iam gonna follow the same routine that I use when I AM fish the Green. That is...... Hit the headworks hole above the trestle at about 4am and wait for the park to open up. I will deffintly be there for awhile. look for a fat guy in skinny guys Hodgman waders carrying a bag full of tackle the size of an army duffle bag and that is me. smile laugh

#66691 - 07/22/02 01:04 PM Re: The GREEN!!
Spawner

Hey how do you get to the other side? I'm definitely interested... I've gone down in waders before and caught a little rainbow but never to much besides that.

#66692 - 07/22/02 03:10 PM Re: The GREEN!!
F F F Offline
Returning Adult

Well Lets say starting from the Kanaskat park entrance turn left and go across bridge. At the end there is a left turn that goes by the old Green river tavern and the bike and canoe rental shop which i think may be closed also. Just keep going straight and the road will head down to the palmer ponds hatchery. Park in the dirt area, look to your left and walk through that gate down to the river.

#66693 - 07/22/02 04:45 PM Re: The GREEN!!
WINGWANG Offline
Juvenille at Sea

the other side is great if you wanna fish the tailout of the rock hole. but if you stand on the sand stone shelf you will be way to close to the fish and scare them away. I want to check out the other side of the Island soon.

#66694 - 07/22/02 07:19 PM Re: The GREEN!!
F F F Offline
Returning Adult

Um, i dissagree with that. laugh I've caught many on that side. Just a few feet off shore it gets deep and they sit right at your toes. Also on that side you can wing it way up the drift and cover alot of prime water. Plus the hatchery is on that side. It's a little more snaggy than the park side though. I got this one on that side drifting really close to shore. Spermin' bastage.

#66695 - 07/22/02 07:57 PM Re: The GREEN!!
Spawner

Is something that dark even edible??

#66696 - 07/23/02 02:40 AM Re: The GREEN!!
F F F Offline
Returning Adult

Don't know, it went back in the water.

#66697 - 07/23/02 04:07 AM Re: The GREEN!!
WINGWANG Offline
Juvenille at Sea

ahhhhhhhhh beautiful feesh laugh

#66698 - 07/23/02 11:48 AM Re: The GREEN!!
PhishPhreak Offline
Repeat Spawner

Hey - you found my lost hiking boot! :p

I'm just glad you didn't say - "well, I kept it for the smoker." Mmmm, smoked boots - not!

Oh well, I haven't touched a steelhead this summer yet, so I can't really say much... But I'm expecting my home river (snoqualmie) to be heating up real soon laugh

#66699 - 07/23/02 08:06 PM Re: The GREEN!!
Spawner

So FFF, how was it? I ended up goin to a friends, sleepin over till about 4, then hiking down to the green near where he lives. we got some rainbows, which was REALLY fun on the super light gear im forced to use now.

How did Kanasket fair?

#66700 - 07/23/02 11:39 PM Re: The GREEN!!
F F F Offline
Returning Adult

So your telling me none of you went up there? LOL Well as luck would have it i couldn't make it up either. Oh well next time. Water is pretty low right now 447cfs which is lower than low at kanaskat. Maybe tomorrow. Anyone got a shrimp preservative for live shrimp? LOL Any suggestions on keeping them alive longer?

Boot? LOL Hell that fish fought pretty dam good for being so dark. Got it on a pink/white jig. I don't think i've ever seen one darker.

#66701 - 07/24/02 12:50 AM Re: The GREEN!!
WINGWANG Offline
Juvenille at Sea

well I hit the green at 4:am and man the fish were rolling. I saw one that was atleast 10 to 15 lbs. Also I kept seeing fish that had an orange-red back. Had to be a White fish right?? I personally had no action but saw atleast 8 feesh. I had one jump with in three feet of my bobber. I was so adrenalized thinking that upon his decent back into the water he would see my Jig and ..............WHAM. But the stupid slimeball didn't do crap. GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR mad

#66702 - 07/24/02 01:29 AM Re: The GREEN!!
AkKings Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Kelso Wa.
WW, amphibians? you trying to catch frogs? might have better luck with the bug rod. wink

#66703 - 07/24/02 02:48 PM Re: The GREEN!!
NewBieFishermen Offline
Parr

Is there a lot of people fishing on the Green right now? I would like to go fish it but I hate fishing around people. Thanks,

#66704 - 07/24/02 04:30 PM Re: The GREEN!!
WINGWANG Offline
Juvenille at Sea

You just gotta go to the right spot Newbie

#66705 - 07/24/02 04:46 PM Re: The GREEN!!
Easy Limits Offline
River Nutrients

There is going to be some good fishing at the mouth of the Green. laugh

#66706 - 07/24/02 04:50 PM Re: The GREEN!!
Spawner

Yeah right on!! I love it when fish are rollin... I'm takin some flies down there now cause I GOTTA catch me one of these!

#66707 - 07/24/02 05:48 PM Re: The GREEN!!
NewBieFishermen Offline
Parr

I live in Kent and fish the Green down there all the time but all I ever catch is rainbows. I think I will try further down south tonight if I don't go salmon fishing. Does anyone mind if I try fishing some of the posts posted on this forum? Thanks,

#66708 - 07/24/02 09:30 PM Re: The GREEN!!
F F F Offline
Returning Adult

I wandered up to kanaskat today without my rod.....STUPID STUPID STUPID. Within 2 minutes of walking up on the hole i saw 4 nice fish jump. The water was really low but looked nice. Stoped at Soos and it looked good too. Water was a little more stained than up high but fishable. I opted to hit the salt this mornin. Looks like that was the wrong choice.

#66709 - 07/24/02 09:32 PM Re: The GREEN!!
NewBieFishermen Offline
Parr

I know this is probably a stupid question but where is kanaskat. Is it closing to flaming gyesuer? Thanks,

#66710 - 07/25/02 03:00 AM Re: The GREEN!!
F F F Offline
Returning Adult

Kanaskat/Palmer state park is about 10 miles up stream from flaming geyser and about a mile downstream from the headworks.

#66711 - 07/26/02 02:59 AM Re: The GREEN!!
WINGWANG Offline
Juvenille at Sea

I find taking Kent-Kangley is the fastest route.

#66712 - 07/27/02 09:16 PM Re: The GREEN!!
Rickster Offline
Eyed Egg

Loc: Renton
Okay, with all the chat about fishing the Green I venture up to K/P Park and gave it a shot this morning. First time fishing for a steelhead and first time on the Green. The current score is river 2, Rickster zero. I lost two lures. (Didn't really lose them, I just didn't feel like swimming in after them...) The level of the river seemed good and it sure was beautiful! I'll get'em next time!!!

#66713 - 07/27/02 11:37 PM Re: The GREEN!!
WINGWANG Offline
Juvenille at Sea

man i am heading there tomorrow.

#66714 - 07/29/02 12:21 PM Re: The GREEN!!
WINGWANG Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Rain in July? I didn't even see a thing today. The rain fell for about an hour.

#66715 - 07/29/02 12:34 PM Re: The GREEN!!
Easy Limits Offline
River Nutrients

A little rain can be good when we have not had any in a while. Fresh rain brings in fresh fish to the rivers. smile

#66716 - 07/30/02 03:32 AM Re: The GREEN!!
WINGWANG Offline
Juvenille at Sea

oh yeah just needs to drop another 6 inches

#66717 - 08/01/02 02:45 AM Re: The GREEN!!
F F F Offline
Returning Adult

I fished the carbody hole this mornin since it closes tomorrow. Man, could the water be any lower? I fished a rooster and jigs with nothing. Saw nothing but a stump up by the tressel that had about 400 drifting setups snagged on it. LOL A couple bows jumping here and there but that was about it. Did see schools of thousands of 1" fry hugging the shoreline though. I threw everything at them but they just wouldn't bite. laugh

#66718 - 08/01/02 01:00 PM Re: The GREEN!!
Spawner

Hey have you ever caught anything out of the white FFF? A friend of mine told me that he caught a 26 inch steelhead out of there, just under the enumclaw-buckley bridge.

#66719 - 08/01/02 01:16 PM Re: The GREEN!!
F F F Offline
Returning Adult

Nope, never have fished it.

#66720 - 08/02/02 12:11 AM Re: The GREEN!!
WINGWANG Offline
Juvenille at Sea

The carbody hole is closed?? It doesn't say anything in the Reg's.

#66721 - 08/02/02 12:32 AM Re: The GREEN!!
F F F Offline
Returning Adult

Yeah it does Page 71. Under season it says: June 1st to July 31st. Then it reopens from October 16th to March 15th. Anything above 18 is open still.

#66722 - 08/02/02 01:21 PM Re: The GREEN!!
BERKLEY BOY75 Offline
Spawner

hey fff, that trestle you mentioned with all the drift gear on it, how far under water is it, and btw, where is the trestle located on the green? **berkley boy**

#66723 - 08/03/02 02:18 AM Re: The GREEN!!
F F F Offline
Returning Adult

Actually the river was so low that the stump was out of the water. I picked up a mass of hooks and weights but didn't feel like picking through the cluster ****. The tressel is just south of the Highway 18 bridge. It's right at the mouth of Soos creek. And is open.

#66724 - 08/04/02 07:44 PM Re: The GREEN!!
NewBieFishermen Offline
Parr

I fished last night around Kanaskat didn't get anything or see anyone catch anything. Is it legal to use spinners right now in this area? Thanks

#66725 - 08/05/02 01:47 AM Re: The GREEN!!
Metalhead Mojo Offline
Spawner

the upper green is still open with a night closure and non-bouyant lure restriction in effect. you can use spinners but not the treble hook, you have to put on a single siwash if you want to be legal. i mostly fish spoons in the palmer/kanasket and headworks area and i always use 1/0 gammie siwash hooks on them so its legal year-round and i dont have to worry about that detail. if you do fish with trebles you should consider switching anyway since you will only be legal part of the season and the other advantage ive found is that they are pretty much snag proof, if you do wedge your lure between some rocks or whatever on the bottom, just let out some extra line until you get a large bow in your line and then give it a good sharp pull, this will pull the lure downstream and back it out of the snag and you will get your lure back almost every time. also, i didnt notice a loss of hookups when i switched from trebles to the single which was one of my concerns back then.

i think the green is dead slow right now but i still hit it once a week because there are still fish to be caught if you put in your time. a friend of mine landed one up at K/P a few days ago so dont give up on it.

#66726 - 08/05/02 12:09 PM Re: The GREEN!!
NewBieFishermen Offline
Parr

Stifler, thanks for the info. I will give it a try. Is there any spoons that you would recommend? I am just starting to fish rivers and don't know all the in's and out's YET. Thanks,

#66727 - 08/05/02 10:55 PM Re: The GREEN!!
Metalhead Mojo Offline
Spawner

i use a few different types depending on the speed of the current and depth. little cleos, stee lees, and daredevles all have their time and place on the river. if you are interested in learning to fish spoons your best bet would be to go with a friend who has fished with them before and can show you the basics to get you started, it will save you a lot of time and get you catching fish sooner.

#66728 - 08/14/02 11:33 AM Re: The GREEN!!
BERKLEY BOY75 Offline
Spawner

fff, which stump did you find all your stuff on? there is a bunch of hangups underneath them bridges..however, i came upon a huge dead king,had to be about 40+, tail was like a 10 wide..im not sure if it swam up and died or it was dropped off my netters..**berkley boy**

#66729 - 08/18/02 02:10 AM Re: The GREEN!!
F F F Offline
Returning Adult

It was a long stump with a rootball on it and all the rigs were wadded up on it. Right under highway 18.

#66730 - 08/18/02 04:08 PM Re: The GREEN!!
WINGWANG Offline
Juvenille at Sea

I went to a zipper lip spot that you have to walk a long time to *wink*wink* wink and caught a whole lotta smolt. Good for them I was using barbless jigs.

#66731 - 08/23/02 01:06 AM Re: The GREEN!!
Spawner

Hey I tried Kanasket today with a colorado spinner attached to my main line, then a 18 inch leader with half a worm on it after that.

I caught one bow and released it... he was about 7 inches.

I switched to a blue fox soon after and caught a 12 inch bow that i was chasing... he kept rising near me for the bugs on the surface. I finally got him. Man I love fighting these babies!

#66732 - 08/23/02 11:00 AM Re: The GREEN!!
Floatuber Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Auburn
I have caught a fair share of fish out of the Green at about Kanaskat and I have only been there 3 times. Great place for Rainbows but all were very small. Nothing over 8". But Fish On about every other cast. Blue Fox and Rooster Tails.

Can someone clear up this restriction or point me in a direction. I have become addicted to this river and don't want any trouble. I am a 100% legal gamesman but am new to Washington Rules.

#66733 - 08/23/02 11:25 AM Re: The GREEN!!
troller Offline
Spawner

Loc: Renton , WA
Someone correct me if I am wrong but I was under the impression that most of those small rainbow trout are actually little stealhead getting ready to head to sea. I grew up in palmer on the river accross from the park. Their hasnt been any really good trout fishin for awhile in the upper green. They at one time used to stock it with trout but stopped for awhile I never heard if they started back up. They went to just stealhead rearing. We used to have pretty good luck in the low water using just a nightcrawler with no weight. wading the river fishing the smaller holes and seems that didnt get all the attention the big holes get. I dont fish trout anymore in the river, just target stealhead I figure if I am going to catch a fish over the minumum size it probably going to be a stealhead.

#66734 - 08/23/02 01:23 PM Re: The GREEN!!
spoonman Offline
Parr

There was a discussion on steelhead smolt or resident trout on the previous pages. If you must target fish in 8-12inch range (why would you?) be fish friendly. The mortality rate of bait, treble hooks, and warm water temperature is deadly to this small fish. I fish exclusively for steelhead on the upper green I uses barbless hooks on my spoons. If 8-12inch fish hits I don't set the hook, hopefully it will just get off on its own. Rivers are so much more dynamic than lakes. In this state lakes are primarly "fishery lakes" if they get "fished out" so what the state will dump 5000 fingerlings and your back in business. Rivers are a different story. I will stop ranking now. Went out yesterday water is extremely low the steelhead are very timid to say the least. Saw two the first swing each time through had them moving out of way. Please releasesome water from the dam or from the sky.

tight lines

#66735 - 08/23/02 10:25 PM Re: The GREEN!!
Spawner

Hey where do you guys fish at kanasket? I turned left at the the little sign that had a rower going either way, and went down that trail. I went as far left on the bank as possible (To a giagantic bolder) and tossed it into a little mouth there.

Where do you guys normally fish?

#66736 - 12/23/02 02:20 AM Re: The GREEN!!
F F F Offline
Returning Adult

Start this back up??

#66737 - 12/23/02 02:23 AM Re: The GREEN!!
F F F Offline
Returning Adult

My buddy and I hit Metzler today and he popped his steelhead cherry finally, right at sunset. Hooked a nice winter run on an orange rooster. He only caught it cuz we forgot the camera. beathead confused

#66738 - 12/23/02 02:31 AM Re: The GREEN!!
Spawner

thumbs nice job, what size of rooster tails do you use?

Also, how do you fish them? Just casting and retrieve?

#66739 - 12/23/02 11:55 AM Re: The GREEN!!
F F F Offline
Returning Adult

We usually fish the 1/8 oz. size. And we usually cast downstream across river and just close the bail and drift the swing with it. Either no reeling or reel just enough to keep the blade turning. But yesterday he walked up to the top of the pool and tossed it in and just held it in the current in the middle of the hole(very small hole below logs at metzler) and bam. As long as the blade turns, that is usually fast enough of a retrieve.

#66740 - 12/23/02 06:36 PM Re: The GREEN!!
Matt S. Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Northwest
Hey FFF, did you see any other winter fish caught at Metzlers. I'll probably head there tomorrow. If ya see me say hi. I'm the 16 year old in brown cabela's waders with a blue hooded sweatshirt. Good luck.

#66741 - 12/24/02 02:21 AM Re: The GREEN!!
F F F Offline
Returning Adult

Sturza, Believe it or not, we had the whole place to our selves. Saw some guys come out of the woods but no fishermen. We did see another steelhead in that same hole but he wasn't interested. We also saw one run the whole lenght of the long flat in about 30 seconds. He wasn't stoppin for nothing. Tons of smolt everywhere.

#66742 - 12/24/02 08:29 AM Re: The GREEN!!
redsharks Offline
Fry

Loc: Puyallup.wa
evil spoonman what up!!!!!!!!
call me im up to 22 steel how about you
did good on salmon to lots to do for

x- mas

fish on!!!!!!!! thumbs

#66743 - 12/28/02 11:52 PM Re: The GREEN!!
F F F Offline
Returning Adult

Anyone ever been here??? Its about a one hundred yard long hole with steep clay cliffs on the opposite bank. Anyone had success here?

#66744 - 12/29/02 01:19 AM Re: The GREEN!!
Easy Limits Offline
River Nutrients

What river is this? flog laugh

I have not had any luck there.

#66745 - 12/29/02 05:44 PM Re: The GREEN!!
F F F Offline
Returning Adult

For all of yous who forgot the subject of this thread, that is the Green River. laugh

#66746 - 12/29/02 06:36 PM Re: The GREEN!!
Easy Limits Offline
River Nutrients

computer

#66747 - 12/30/02 01:27 AM Re: The GREEN!!
Spawner

That looks very familiar... I think I've been there, it looks like an area where I was catching some rainbows, still cant hook into the big boys yet. Is that upriver some, past flaming guiser, up near headworks road?

#66748 - 12/30/02 08:54 AM Re: The GREEN!!
redsharks Offline
Fry

that looks like the place near the straberry patch by the horse stables and if that is you do really good down river I've run into some holes but I like to fish near the big bowl and hidden hatchery an do very well there

fish on!!!!!!!!!!!!! cool

#66749 - 01/03/03 01:45 PM Re: The GREEN!!
F F F Offline
Returning Adult

Well my woman hit the 277th hole yesterday and got a 5lb chromie on a white rooster. Lucky SOB. LOL. I think she may outfish me this season. So far the score is her: 1 summer and 2 winters, Me: 10,000 chum. I think she is winning.

#66750 - 01/03/03 02:53 PM Re: The GREEN!!
fishtale Offline
Spawner

Loc: Kng
I KNOW WHERE ITS AT, ITS UP STREAM FROM NEALY BRIDGE AND I HAVE CAUGHT FISH OUT OF IT BUTT I DONT LIKE ROTTS SO I STAY IN THE BOAT!! THEY WILL COME DOWN STREAM TO CHECK YA OUT!!! slap

#66751 - 01/04/03 11:54 PM Re: The GREEN!!
F F F Offline
Returning Adult

Me and a buddy braved the wind and downpour and fished Kanaskat today. Water was perfect running at 701cfs with a nice emerald color. Got a 30" 5lb hatchery hen torpedo on eggs and a float on about my 50th cast. It was chrome with a nice lite pink stripe down her side but she had a shiney bronze back. Beautiful feeesh. Hooked another up a bit further but lost it. Saw one other guy hook up but lost it.

#66752 - 01/05/03 12:23 AM Re: The GREEN!!
Easy Limits Offline
River Nutrients

Did you get a picture?

#66753 - 01/05/03 12:30 AM Re: The GREEN!!
F F F Offline
Returning Adult

thumbs

#66754 - 01/05/03 03:50 AM Re: The GREEN!!
Spawner

mmm thats a puuuurty fish. Me and my grandpa or my bro should meet up with you, you seem to have the river down dude!

#66755 - 01/05/03 04:43 AM Re: The GREEN!!
lofty25 Offline
Fry

Nice fish. Glad to see someone is getting fish out of the green.

#66756 - 01/05/03 07:47 PM Re: The GREEN!!
F F F Offline
Returning Adult

Personally i just think they are everywhere. Just find a hole and fish the living [Bleeeeep!] out of it. laugh Fished the same spot for 2 hours, 3 bobbers 2 jigs and half my eggs before i got it mad sleep . But most likely one just moved up and couldn't resist my pink chum eggs.

Everyone says it's slow but i figure it's just starting up. Seems to me no different than last year. But i'm no pro.

BBVD i will be at Kanaskat alot till march. I'm sure i've fished right by you and didn't know it. This place is no secret as you know. And as you know most hachery fish don't go any farther. So i'd say there is atleast 2 fish in that hole at all times, or 1 coming and going, minimum. It just a matter of what they want. Change alot, and change back. Or just stick with one sure fire way, for 4 hours. I'd think your bound to hook up 1 in 3 trips. Infact that was my 3rd trip up this year.

I could meet you wherever then go from there if you want. You have to pay to park now just so you know. I may be up there on thursday for the PM but definately rain or shine on Saturday AM. You still have my number, give me a jingle.

If you squint your eyes that fish looks like a 11" lake stocker. Bad picture.

#66757 - 01/06/03 08:51 AM Re: The GREEN!!
redsharks Offline
Fry

rolleyes Hey F F F, that's not exactly true. SPoonman and I have caught hatchery fish as far as the old king hatchery. And I have caught them near Headworks dam near the flats. We don't get many up there but when we do they are pretty big. I have probably run into you, I also fish Palmer, Flaming Geyser, Hidden Hatchery and the bowl. Which I do really well. You never did say where the place was where your picture was taken. If that was the Strawberry Patch the owner sold the land so I don't know if we're going to be able to go thru there anymore. Nice steelhead by the way. I'm the one with the red 4-runner you'll see me all over the place. See you on the river...

Fish On!!!! cool

#66758 - 01/06/03 10:08 AM Re: The GREEN!!
Easy Limits Offline
River Nutrients

Nice fish FFF.

#66759 - 01/06/03 10:07 PM Re: The GREEN!!
Spawner

redsharks, do you take a kid with you sometimes? i think i saw ya once awhile back, when the main stem of the chum run was goin

#66760 - 01/07/03 08:57 AM Re: The GREEN!!
redsharks Offline
Fry

maybe, sara and i tend to get around
evil

fish on!!!!!!!!!

#66761 - 02/20/03 01:26 AM Re: The GREEN!!
F F F Offline
Returning Adult

Me and my fishin buddy made it up to kanaskat for the evening bite. River was at 600 and kinda stained with vis at about 3 ft. No wind but lots and lots of rain.

We drifted steelhead eggs under a float for most of the time. And about 2 hours into it as i was reeling up i noticed a decent sized shadow race up to my eggs. So i casted back up a few times. Got a small nibble everytime i gave the eggs some action. I casted back up and gave some good pulls and my bobber slowely slipped under, bam! beer

Do any of you jig or pull your eggs across a drift? Any success? This really surprised me cause i always think to be as natural as possible. And eggs don't swim... do they?

I petted 2 feesh laugh

#66762 - 02/20/03 01:52 AM Re: The GREEN!!
Erndog Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Covington
FFF, way to go man. I usually hit the green around this time also. Primary the headworks. My best spot is pretty much gone up there, thx to 9/11. Dam rag heads. I havn't had a chance this year yet. Been enjoying the BM to much. Hopefully to hit the river the following weekend. Hope to run in to you again out there.

ErnDog

#66763 - 02/20/03 12:18 PM Re: The GREEN!!
Easy Limits Offline
River Nutrients

Nice FFF! Got pix?

#66764 - 02/21/03 01:46 AM Re: The GREEN!!
F F F Offline
Returning Adult

Well i had pictures but somehow when i transfered them from my camera to my cdrw disk the cd got formated and i lost all my fishing pictures, including yesterdays. That makes me sooo happy. Stupid digital crap. LOL beathead

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Skate
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1358 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63779 Topics
645378 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |