THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Page 8 of 11 < 1 2 ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#722416 - 12/01/11 11:11 PM Re: Who's officially in the 50+ club? [Re: Dave Vedder]
cobble cruiser Offline
~B-F-D~

Double not nice. I'm goin' to bed. frown

#722463 - 12/02/11 01:29 AM Re: Who's officially in the 50+ club? [Re: cobble cruiser]
Todd Offline
Dick Nipples

Loc: Seattle, Washington USA
Poor Danny...in his defense, that 6# hatchery fish on the Satsop that took him fifteen minutes to reel in the last twelve feet was the biggest six pounder I've ever seen.

Fish on...

Todd

Team Flying Super Ditch Pickle

#722467 - 12/02/11 01:42 AM Re: Who's officially in the 50+ club? [Re: Todd]
ColeyG Offline
Ranger Danger

Loc: AK
Its not the size of the fish in the fight...

EZ Thread Yarn Balls

"I don't care how you catch them, as long as you treat them well and with respect." Lani Waller in "A Steelheader's Way."

#722474 - 12/02/11 02:10 AM Re: Who's officially in the 50+ club? [Re: cobble cruiser]
Neal M Offline
The Enemy

Loc: Bainbridge Island and Sappho, ...
Doc when I put the bend in the rod with the fish downstream of me like that, it better be because there is something that I can't get below...... Get the F downriver of your fish. smile

#722475 - 12/02/11 02:13 AM Re: Who's officially in the 50+ club? [Re: Neal M]
Neal M Offline
The Enemy

Loc: Bainbridge Island and Sappho, ...
I've caught fish in that whole too.... You can get below the fish. Fun to let it run like that, but c'mon, if puttin the heat to it is what you want...... don't fight the river smile

#722476 - 12/02/11 02:24 AM Re: Who's officially in the 50+ club? [Re: Neal M]
kwikfiks Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Poundtown
word agree

#722481 - 12/02/11 04:44 AM Re: Who's officially in the 50+ club? [Re: kwikfiks]
eyeFISH Offline
Ornamental Rice Bowl

Not condoning the dude's overall fish fighting technique.... just using the vid as a decent demo of how to make a rod bend.

The DIRECTION one makes it bend is even more important, esp when the fish is below you in current. Getting sideways and parallel to a fish in current is obviously the most advantageous position. Stepping down river is advised whenever feasible, but folks should remember to take line as they go! The biggest mistake I see is folks walking downriver too slow and not shortening the leash as they go... they're literally walking the dog down the river.... and making ZERO net gain! And losing precious landing beach with every step! Eventually there comes a point in the battle where one must simply stand his ground.

On river right, the only way to go is to pull LOW and to the RIGHT. As much as is humanly possible... as in 95-99% of the time... the rod should be angled low and right!

When fighting a BIG fish in the current, one of the least appreciated concepts is the mechanics of "ferrying". If you tether any long object in the current it will passively maintain its position in the flow as long as it aligns itself axially with the current ( nose pointed straight upriver at 12:00).

It can also be made to move passively crosscurrent by ferrying. If that long object is somehow pointed off-axis to the flow, even by the tiniest amount (11:55 or 12:05), it will start to ferry cross-current.

In this case, by pulling to the left, one points the fish's nose to its right toward heavier flow, causing it to passively ferry to its right. And when the fish adds extra propulsion with a tail thrust, it's driven that much stronger to its right. This maneuver only encourages the fish to move further out into swifter current.... which only pushes it even further downstream. NOT GOOD if your goal is to gain line.

By pulling to the right, the fish will passively ferry toward the bank... AND when it thrusts its tail, it will actively swim into softer shallower flows, water where one actually can either gain ground MUCH more easily... OR better yet, allow the fish to simply beach itself.

I've used this technique to single-handedly beach dozens of big kings up to 70+ without the aid of a net or an assistant. It works!

"If you don't kill them, they will spawn." (Carcassman)

The Keen Eye MD
Long Live the Kings!

#900144 - 07/11/14 08:59 PM Re: Who's officially in the 50+ club? [Re: Dave Vedder]
eyeFISH Offline
Ornamental Rice Bowl

Originally Posted By: Dave Vedder
I have seen Danny put a serious bend in a rod.

But not when he had a fish on.

If Vedder wasn't so f'n astute with his fishy observations I would have just let that post pass.

But he IS…. so I COULDN'T...

Even if it did take 3 years for me to finally pick up on it.

Better late than never.

Sorry, Danny.

Still laffin'

The Keen Eye MD
Long Live the Kings!

#900146 - 07/11/14 09:04 PM Re: Who's officially in the 50+ club? [Re: Phil Maraude]
eyeFISH Offline
Ornamental Rice Bowl

Originally Posted By: eyeFISH
You guys suck.... 5 pages and just a handful of 50+ posted.

I put up a similar thread on Ifish. With only 41 replies, there's already 7 guys with 50+ (several multiple) kings under their belt. 13 of 166 who voted in a poll voted that they have broken the 50# barrier.

Or maybe they're all just Orygun 50's.

Originally Posted By: Phil Maraude
gravity does work differently in oregon news

rofl rofl rofl

Blast from the past (where the HELL did 10 years go anyway?)

Orygun 60, fo'sho!

The Keen Eye MD
Long Live the Kings!

#900147 - 07/11/14 09:07 PM Re: Who's officially in the 50+ club? [Re: Dave Vedder]
eyeFISH Offline
Ornamental Rice Bowl

Originally Posted By: Dave Vedder
An OLD friend of mine still holds the Washington Satate record for a 70 lb saltwater chinook from Pillar Point. I believe it was in the 60s. He is quite old and I have not seen him for a few years. I do hope he is still around. Chet Gusta.

Record book says Sekiu, but he told me Pillar point.

Chinook salmon
Oncorhychus tshawytscha

70.50 lbs

Chet Gausta

Sekiu

September 6, 1964

The Keen Eye MD
Long Live the Kings!

#900149 - 07/11/14 09:12 PM Re: Who's officially in the 50+ club? [Re: eyeFISH]
eyeFISH Offline
Ornamental Rice Bowl

And while in a decidedly B&W mode, may as well share this o'l boot as well…

The Keen Eye MD
Long Live the Kings!

#900179 - 07/12/14 03:21 PM Re: Who's officially in the 50+ club? [Re: eyeFISH]
Rivrguy Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Somewhere on the planet,I hope

71 on the wall Kenai & 52 Chehalis with picture on the wall. In broodstocking many bucks in the 40 plus bracket over the years on the Satsop but the biggest I could not get to the bank and finally broke 40 lb Maxima. Best guess was 60 plus and it was East Fork Satsop. Oh, it was a hen.

#900181 - 07/12/14 05:44 PM Re: Who's officially in the 50+ club? [Re: Rivrguy]
Bent Metal Offline
Carcass

Loc: Sky River(WA) Clearwater(Id)
Low 50lb buck...Hump...Got some pics and released the beast many years ago. Saw the fish swim past just after hooking up and still remember the surreal look of something so massive in comparison to all the other salmon and steelhead we encounter in our travels.

#900182 - 07/12/14 06:34 PM Re: Who's officially in the 50+ club? [Re: Dan S.]
Dave Vedder Offline
Reverend Tarpones

Loc: West Duvall
Originally Posted By: Dan S.
Quote:
Pull GDI!
Pull HARD!
[Bleeeeep!]! I said H-A-R-D, GDI!
You're NOT gonna break the f'n rod!

You don't spaz out like that all the time do you?

Because i think that would get on my nerves.

laugh

#900183 - 07/12/14 06:44 PM Re: Who's officially in the 50+ club? [Re: Dave Vedder]
Dave Vedder Offline
Reverend Tarpones

Loc: West Duvall
I don’t think either of these broke 50 but nice nookies. My biggest in the salt was released. Sebastes and I are certain it was more then 50. In the Kenai, I have caught a handful of 50 plus with a 62 as my biggest, but so has anyone who fished it a lot back then.
Looking for a photo of my buddies 72 we got in the Kenai way back when dinosaurs roamed the land

This was a 62 caught from a 16 foot Jon Boat on the Kenai by three, at the time novice Kenai anglers. We damn near swamped the boat when too many leaned over to see it in the water.

Edited by Dave Vedder (07/12/14 06:52 PM)

#900208 - 07/13/14 02:52 AM Re: Who's officially in the 50+ club? [Re: Jerry Garcia]
ned Offline
Spawner

Loc: MA 5, 9, 10
In saltwater my buddy Don got a 52 in the morning- just 2 pounds short of our groups record (in BC). Good luck held...and he got a 56 in the afternoon. 108 lbs, 2 fish, same day, from a 17' whaler, trolling mono with 2 oz of lead on 10 wt sage rods.

#900215 - 07/13/14 09:46 AM Re: Who's officially in the 50+ club? [Re: ned]
Smalma Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Marysville
At least for Puget Sound hatchery Chinook a 30 pounder has become the new 50 or even 60# fish.

During the mark selective Chinook fisheries in Puget Sound during 2012 and 2013 WDFW port samplers measured more than 13,000 hatchery Chinook without handling a single fish larger than a meter in length (all less than 40 inches).

Equally of concern was the fact that the median size was roughly 28.5 inches (there were as many fish smaller than 28.5 and larger than 28.5). Just 40 years ago a Chinook jack for Puget Sound rivers was defined as any Chinook less than 28 inches long now nearly 1/2 of the returning adults are smaller than what once were jacks and many of the jacks would never be a legal fish in the salt (they are less than 22 inches long).

While the Puget Sound hatchery Chinook may be the most extreme all the region's Chinook populations are experiencing this shrinking phenomenon.

Curt

#900219 - 07/13/14 11:04 AM Re: Who's officially in the 50+ club? [Re: Smalma]
ondarvr Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Spokane WA
Heaviest King 61.5, from up north.

On the Snohomish system, none of these are from the last 10 years (OK, the whitefish was).

King 35#
Steelhead 30+
Coho 20#
Chum 24#

Whitefish, Can't remember the weight, we thought it was a small steelhead during the fight, Craigo took a pic.

#976997 - 05/16/17 06:58 PM Re: Who's officially in the 50+ club? [Re: Smalma]
eyeFISH Offline
Ornamental Rice Bowl

Originally Posted By: Smalma
At least for Puget Sound hatchery Chinook a 30 pounder has become the new 50 or even 60# fish.

During the mark selective Chinook fisheries in Puget Sound during 2012 and 2013 WDFW port samplers measured more than 13,000 hatchery Chinook without handling a single fish larger than a meter in length (all less than 40 inches).

Equally of concern was the fact that the median size was roughly 28.5 inches (there were as many fish smaller than 28.5 and larger than 28.5). Just 40 years ago a Chinook jack for Puget Sound rivers was defined as any Chinook less than 28 inches long now nearly 1/2 of the returning adults are smaller than what once were jacks and many of the jacks would never be a legal fish in the salt (they are less than 22 inches long).

While the Puget Sound hatchery Chinook may be the most extreme all the region's Chinook populations are experiencing this shrinking phenomenon.

Curt

Yep.... we livin' in the era of the maxi-jack.

I mean REALLY... how many folks caught a bonafide king while fishin for spring kings?

The Keen Eye MD
Long Live the Kings!

#976998 - 05/16/17 08:14 PM Re: Who's officially in the 50+ club? [Re: eyeFISH]
Carcassman Online   content
River Nutrients

Loc: Olema,California,Planet Earth
Interesting that, at least at the hatcheries, WDFW used to take tons of scales, FL, and sex of returns on an annual basis. There should be a very long-term data set of length at age.

What this gets at is that "shrinking" Chinook and even coho should not be any sort of surprise or news. Coupled with oceanographic conditions we should have a pretty good idea about change over time, effects of El Nino, and so on.

We have basically turned Chinook from a big fish that spawned in the largest rivers to essentially a piscivorous, creek spawning chum. Get them into the 10-15 pound range as age 4 and we can have the Kennedy Creek Chinook fishery in the Fall as a warm-up for the chum.

Page 8 of 11 < 1 2 ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 >

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
CHUBS
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 939 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13521
eyeFISH 12766
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63773 Topics
645302 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |