Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#685483 - 05/28/11 03:22 PM Re: CHROME to the bone.... * [Re: ]
eyeFISH Offline
Ornamental Rice Bowl

The stumpy kings taken outta Old Harbor remind me of the freakish rainbows those twin brothers from Canada claimed back-to-back world records with.

Quick, somebody call Jenny Craig!

"If you don't kill them, they will spawn." (Carcassman)

The Keen Eye MD
Long Live the Kings!

#685592 - 05/29/11 01:58 PM Re: CHROME to the bone.... [Re: eyeFISH]
eyeFISH Offline
Ornamental Rice Bowl

OK... one more and I'm done.

Some fish just don't need any long armin'.... except when it takes a fully extended reach just to get around its belly! Crikey boys, check this one out!

Attachments
old harbor prengel 09 blurred.jpg

The Keen Eye MD
Long Live the Kings!

#688243 - 06/12/11 03:13 AM Re: CHROME to the bone.... [Re: eyeFISH]
eyeFISH Offline
Ornamental Rice Bowl

We've had a lot of discussion on this board about the LONG odds of chinook surviving the killing fields of northern intercept fisheries for 3, 4, 5, even 6 years. Old Harbor is just one of those places where it's real easy to see that they're exploiting kings that obviously do not spawn in Kodiak. And to be absolutely clear, it's certainly not unique in that regard. Hundreds of small coastal fisheries are intercepting salmon originating from basins far removed from the point of capture.

I tried to interject those thoughts on the AK board last year. Click on the thread below to see how well these ideas were received....

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/showthread.php/80869-early-early-EARLY-morning-bite!

The Keen Eye MD
Long Live the Kings!

#688244 - 06/12/11 03:26 AM Re: CHROME to the bone.... [Re: eyeFISH]
eyeFISH Offline
Ornamental Rice Bowl

The Keen Eye MD
Long Live the Kings!

#689012 - 06/15/11 10:42 PM Re: CHROME to the bone.... [Re: eyeFISH]
eyeFISH Offline
Ornamental Rice Bowl

OK... I have the answer to the mystery question....

"Whose giant white kings are getting low-holed in Kodiak?"

I finally sent the DNA off for analysis on Monday (yeah, like 2 days ago) and I already have the answer! Friends in low places I guess?

Here's the response....

You were in luck – we were running some in-season samples today so I got the genotype! I assigned it to the GAPs Chinook baseline and it had a high likelihood of assignment (99.9%) to Lower Kalum River on the Skeena, so it looks like Coastal Canada genetically.

My original thought about what river consistently produces 60, 70, 80-pound caliber chinook was one of three possible places. Kenai, Skeena, or Rivers Inlet. Fraser was thrown into the mix for its propensity to produce a lot of white kings. And we even had a bio in AK comment that he thought these were Fraser origin. But there's no real evidence to support the ability to produce GIANT white kings. Kenai was thrown out because it produces ZERO white kings and even its giant fish are NOT built like that. Rivers Inlet (Wannock River) was thrown out because John Beath (outdoor writer and former Rivers Inlet lodge operator) said their fish don't look like that.

So there you have it... we've come full circle... iron-clad proof it's a Skeena fish!

WOW.... mystery solved.

The Keen Eye MD
Long Live the Kings!

#689034 - 06/15/11 11:37 PM Re: CHROME to the bone.... [Re: eyeFISH]
AkKings Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Kelso Wa.
Originally Posted By: eyeFISH
So there you have it... we've come full circle... iron-clad proof it's a Skeena fish!

WOW.... mystery solved.

Hmmm, who would a thunk it whistle. They should be showing up here any day now beer

#689036 - 06/15/11 11:38 PM Re: CHROME to the bone.... [Re: AkKings]
SBD Offline
clown flocker

Loc: Water
Just think of all those Yukon Kings who visit Russia and never return. thumbs

There's a sucker born every minute

#689044 - 06/16/11 12:24 AM Re: CHROME to the bone.... [Re: AkKings]
eyeFISH Offline
Ornamental Rice Bowl

Originally Posted By: AkKings

Hmmm, who would a thunk it whistle. They should be showing up here any day now beer

Remember to save a few for the gravel.

(Read sig line below)

The Keen Eye MD
Long Live the Kings!

#689055 - 06/16/11 03:00 AM Re: CHROME to the bone.... [Re: eyeFISH]
eyeFISH Offline
Ornamental Rice Bowl

The Kitsumkalum (Kalum) River grows some mighty special chinook.... a BIG race of giant kings comparable to the Kenai's.

Adults (anything over 65 cm... roughly 25.5 inches) in the early component of the run are protected thru June 30. Been that way for at least 10 years. This is very similar to the Kenai River ER slot limit only MUCH more restrictive.... basically only jacks may be retained.

They have a 37-day season on adults.... one per day.... from July 1 thru Aug 6. The fish get a free pass from Aug 7 forward.

http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fm-gp/rec/fresh-douce/region6-eng.htm
(scroll about halfway down to find Kitsumkalum)

The Keen Eye MD
Long Live the Kings!

#689058 - 06/16/11 09:36 AM Re: CHROME to the bone.... [Re: eyeFISH]
Dave Vedder Offline
Reverend Tarpones

Loc: West Duvall
I can't imagine why I didn't think of the Kalum. I have fished it several times, and while I never did hook one of those mosters I saw a bank angler get his azz handed to him by a monster big king.

There is a stretch of the Skeena, near Terrace, that is open only to bank angling. It is a truly epic fishery. Many are hooked - few are landed. i have always thought it is perhaps the coolest salmon fishery I have even seen.

#689092 - 06/16/11 01:29 PM Re: CHROME to the bone.... [Re: Dave Vedder]
RB3 Offline
Repeat Spawner

Some interesting fellows on that board. You talked about lack of Hatchery fish returning in numbers and the guy kept calling out habitat. Life outside the box is scary for some.

#689116 - 06/16/11 02:57 PM Re: CHROME to the bone.... [Re: eyeFISH]
rln Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: anywhere in B.C. sometimes wa...
there is a tackle store in Terrace that has a picture of a fish that was caught for hatchery brood stock that weighed in at 107lbs. Some lunkers up there for sure

#689118 - 06/16/11 03:02 PM Re: CHROME to the bone.... [Re: rln]
eyeFISH Offline
Ornamental Rice Bowl

rln...

So the Kalum is planted with chinook?

Got a phone number for the hatchery? Got questions about life history. Or maybe you know.

Are the Lower Kalum fish a stream-type (one year or more fresh before smolting) or ocean-type chinook (sub-yearling smolts)?

The Keen Eye MD
Long Live the Kings!

#689122 - 06/16/11 03:40 PM Re: CHROME to the bone.... [Re: eyeFISH]
eyeFISH Offline
Ornamental Rice Bowl

http://bcadventure.com/adventure/angling/river/skeena.phtml

Fishery employees have found carcasses of Chinook spawned out along the banks of the Skeena system that weighed more than 107-pounds!

Ninety per cent of the Chinook in the Skeena River are wild fish. Some hatchery Chinook do exist, but most are wild fish.

The Keen Eye MD
Long Live the Kings!

#689526 - 06/19/11 01:02 AM Re: CHROME to the bone.... [Re: eyeFISH]
headshake Offline
Alevin

I have a few ignorant questions, but must say that is one of the most beautiful kings I have seen in a while.

Is a white king based entirely on genetics or does diet have anything to do with it?

I seem to have caught a few clipped fish (hatchery) that seemed white. Was I mistaken?

#689535 - 06/19/11 02:10 AM Re: CHROME to the bone.... [Re: headshake]
eyeFISH Offline
Ornamental Rice Bowl

For the record, here's the official explanation for red vs white kings:

The ability of a salmon to store carotene in the fat cells is controlled genetically. So a sockeye salmon (red) stores carotene in its fat cells and a chum salmon metabolize it into a colorless Vitamin A. For a chinook salmon flesh color is determined by two genes in a duplicate recessive gene interaction. Here is a list that will help explain this. It comes from an ADF&G publication. The genotype is the combination of capital and small case letters and the flesh color is defined.

AA,BB -red flesh color,
AABb - red,
AA,bb - white,
Aa,BB - red,
Aa,Bb - red,
Aa,bb - white,
aa,BB - white,
aa,Bb - white,
aa,bb - white.

You can see from this that if a dominant gene (A and B) are both present then the flesh color is red.

The genes for white kings are rare in Alaska. A higher percentage is found in the Pacific Northwest.

How red a fish is or just a pink color depends on the amount of pigment in their diet. However, a white king cannot become a red king no matter the diet because the genes controlling the process are not available.

I can't help but think this whole pigment storage defect must somehow be related to the critter's fat metabolism. These kings are extremely oily, esp for a fall chinook. As for that fat, stumpy physique.... a picture paints a 1000 words.

The Keen Eye MD
Long Live the Kings!

#689539 - 06/19/11 02:32 AM Re: CHROME to the bone.... [Re: eyeFISH]
Keta Offline
Repeat Spawner

I have caught a few kings that have kind of marbled red white meat. It would be interesting to know what gene combination creates that coloring.

#689541 - 06/19/11 02:54 AM Re: CHROME to the bone.... [Re: Keta]
eyeFISH Offline
Ornamental Rice Bowl

Marbled = genetic mosaic or chimera.

The Keen Eye MD
Long Live the Kings!

#689542 - 06/19/11 03:09 AM Re: CHROME to the bone.... [Re: eyeFISH]
Man of logic Offline
Spawner

Loc: the moon
So if an Aa bb spawned with an aa Bb, what portion of the offspring would have red meat?

#689543 - 06/19/11 03:19 AM Re: CHROME to the bone.... [Re: Man of logic]
eyeFISH Offline
Ornamental Rice Bowl

Originally Posted By: Jgrizzle
So if an Aa bb spawned with an aa Bb, what portion of the offspring would have red meat?

25% red.... 75% white.

One of those white parents will produce 50% Ab and 50% ab gametes. The other white parent will produce 50% aB and 50% ab gametes. The likelihood of red meat from this pairing ( genotype Aa Bb) is 50% x 50% = 25%.

The Keen Eye MD
Long Live the Kings!

Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Chromeo, Colluvium, lat59, m wilson, phishkellar, TBJ
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 537 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63778 Topics
645358 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |