Three Rivers Marine

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#685813 - 05/31/11 01:34 PM Food, Fat, and Fitness
Rocket Red Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Elma
In the "Weave your Bacon" thread, an argument is starting to take shape regarding a statment I made about the pro-fat, low-carb diets vs. the standard calories-in/calories out diets.

I only know what I like and what works for me. The internet is full of this argument already but I would like to hear some of the members of this board's philosophy on this stuff.

What do you all do to stay healthy? How do you like it?

As for me I typically follow Primal/Paleo type of diet. It is simple enough. Basically, no processed foods or legumes. So my food pyramid is like this:
Protein/fat and Vegetables > Fruit > Simple Dairy/Nuts. There is no bread or pasta. It is easy enough to do if you have the ingredients around. My weakness is a pretty busy social schedule which means lots of dining out, drinking beer, staying up late and eating foods off of my list. I think if I could get to where only 20% of my meals were better I could lose 10 lbs easy. When I am eating on this plan succesfully I have a lot of energy, and feel really good (mood, attitude, etc).

I do Crossfit routines 3-4x per week. I love this program it is easy to follow and is skill-based. It is more like a sport because there are so many different elements to master. I feel like I am in generally good shape. I can run far, do lots of push ups and pull ups, lift heavy stuff and I almost never get sore from any physical activities. Hiking, waterskiiing, basketball, yardwork, or whatever my workout program has helped a lot for that kind of thing.

#685887 - 05/31/11 06:16 PM Re: Food, Fat, and Fitness [Re: ]
HOOKUP Offline
Returning Adult

The latest trend in nutrition is diet obessive compulsiveness to a point where your food becomes your religion

Paleo-tards

Keto-tards

AunyM's case a fat-tard

the list goes on.

#685888 - 05/31/11 06:19 PM Re: Food, Fat, and Fitness [Re: ]
HOOKUP Offline
Returning Adult

Originally Posted By: AuntyM

Just stay away from the BPA and other estrogenic chemicals. I hate to see all the "man boobs" that are becoming so common.

Moobs are the result of being over weight and/or obese, at low body fats they go away. Same old cliche of blaming a fatness problem on something totally un-related.

Edited by HOOKUP (05/31/11 06:20 PM)

#685895 - 05/31/11 06:48 PM Re: Food, Fat, and Fitness [Re: HOOKUP]
Salmonella Offline
Repeat Spawner

Sometimes just the sound of the refrigerator door opening can give a guy a ravenous appetite.

eek2 eek2 eek2

#685912 - 05/31/11 07:46 PM Re: Food, Fat, and Fitness [Re: ]
HOOKUP Offline
Returning Adult

I'm not the one worried about insulin spikes dear.

#685913 - 05/31/11 07:47 PM Re: Food, Fat, and Fitness [Re: HOOKUP]
Rocket Red Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Elma
Originally Posted By: HOOKUP
The latest trend in nutrition is diet obessive compulsiveness to a point where your food becomes your religion

Ya, that's the latest trend. If latest means anytime after about 1965.

So, HOOKUP are you telling us that you use calories in/calories out as your dietary guideline? I understand that one as it utilizes the first law of thermodynamics. I don't see how it relates to health though. It relates to weight not body composition or functionality of bodily systems. The ci/co theory means a big mac of 790 calories is the equivalent of a 790 calorie big and colorful salad.

There are plenty of people who do great with that, but I struggle with it. Once I became a "Paleo-tard", things became a lot clearer. My wife says "What do you want for dinner?" I answer "Meat and vegetables". And that is all there is to it, it is easy. I never look at a label or count anything. If the food looks like it did when it died, then it is okay.

Lastly, if it doesn't affect you wouldn't you rather see folks obsessing over their health, instead of just about anything else?

I don't think this should get into who can link the most studies, because this thread is meant to be about what works for us and why we think it does.

#685914 - 05/31/11 07:51 PM Re: Food, Fat, and Fitness [Re: Rocket Red]
HOOKUP Offline
Returning Adult

Paleo is another calorie restrictive diet by default, take out easy to over eat calorie dense foods throw in a mythical story about your ancestors tweak the diet for convience by adding dairy and you have a multi million dollar diet machine.

We dont have to go back 500-10,000 years to find the hunter gather, these people still walk this planet and their body compositon is dictated more be geographics than thier own individual habits. One of the major mistakes the paleo cultists make is the assumption that there was ONE paleo diet. Nothing could be further from the truth and it was very much related to food availability both seasonally and locationally. Which is why an Alaskan inuit and an African tribesman would have eaten very very different things.

And lastly for the Paleotard clan your diet isnt really complete without Sisson's line of supplements and protien powder, because everything else just isnt Paleo!

I could go on and on about Paleo but the front end BS of this diet stops me from going any further on a fishing forum. I would suggest moderation and rationality with a strong dose of science (sorry Paleo)

Edited by HOOKUP (05/31/11 11:17 PM)

#685932 - 05/31/11 09:08 PM Re: Food, Fat, and Fitness [Re: HOOKUP]
Brad_tgl Offline
Spawner

Loc: Port Angeles, WA
Well I'm a distance guy so consuming calories is part of my gig. I'm building my base mileage for the summer months which means around 60 miles a week. The two guys I'm running just finished their college running careers so I asked them for some fine tuning on my diet. They simply said get your calories in, period.

While I try to be balanced in terms of proteins, fats, and carbs it really boils down to putting enough in the tank. The problem I see with people trying to lose weight is focusing too much on the food aspect and not putting the work in.

Rocket Red is right though in that I always prefer to fuel up with food that is real.

#685933 - 05/31/11 09:17 PM Re: Food, Fat, and Fitness [Re: Salmonella]
DBAppraiser Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: MA13
Originally Posted By: Salmonella
Sometimes just the sound of the refrigerator door opening can give a guy a ravenous appetite.

eek2 eek2 eek2

That sure ain't "People of Walmart"!
Gives me a hankering for a small ham and a slice of pie.

#685940 - 05/31/11 09:55 PM Re: Food, Fat, and Fitness [Re: ]
Dan S. Offline
It all boils down to this - I'm right, everyone else is wrong, and anyone who disputes this is clearly a dumbfuck.

Loc: SE Olympia, WA
I like a nice piece of cake, dammit............to hell with the blood glucose spike!!

smile

Bon Scott - Shot Down in Flames

#685947 - 05/31/11 10:18 PM Re: Food, Fat, and Fitness [Re: ]
Dan S. Offline
It all boils down to this - I'm right, everyone else is wrong, and anyone who disputes this is clearly a dumbfuck.

Yeah...............I'm pretty dialed when it comes to that.

My last a1c hemoglobin was 5.7

#685949 - 05/31/11 10:36 PM Re: Food, Fat, and Fitness [Re: Rocket Red]
Doctor Rick Offline
Free Prostate Exams

Loc: Sequim
The pros in weight management generally use some version of a reduced carb diet; in my work that's what I do. I think that in 2011, if you have a weight problem, then the default diet should be some variation of a reduced carb. Same goes for diabetes.

if you don't have a weight problem, or don't have metabolic syndrome, then you can eat whatever you like.

If you are young and athletic then a higher carb diet can be good since your muscle uses the glucose rather than the glucose being stored as fat.

Loren Cordain is the godfather of the Paleo diet, and his website is interesting.
Cross fit is good stuff!

Here are a few of the more interesting sites on low carb life.

http://thepaleodiet.com/
Cordain's site, if you google him you can get some of his scientific articles open access. Very good.

http://www.proteinpower.com/drmike/
Dr. Mike Eades site. One of the most normal really smart guys I have ever met.
Even smarter than FP! 8^)

http://www.livinlavidalowcarb.com/
Jimmy Moore's site. good links and good vids.

PM me if you want some articles or links and I will be happy to send them along.

Edited by Doctor Rick (05/31/11 10:43 PM)

#685951 - 05/31/11 10:42 PM Re: Food, Fat, and Fitness [Re: Dan S.]
Doctor Rick Offline
Free Prostate Exams

Originally Posted By: Dan S.
Yeah...............I'm pretty dialed when it comes to that.

My last a1c hemoglobin was 5.7

The biggest problem with covering carbs with insulin is that the carbs are translated directly into fat storage. I don't remember the last type 2 diabetic I met who didn't gain weight on insulin.

The most common sequence is more weight leads to more insulin resistance (higher sugars) leads to more insulin leads to more weight gain. And the beat goes on.

One of the first things to do when a DM2 person goes on a reduced carb diet (less than 50-120 gm/day) is cut the insulin by about 50% or else there are episodes of low sugar, very unpleasant and dangerous. More than having high sugars in the short term.

#685954 - 05/31/11 10:45 PM Re: Food, Fat, and Fitness [Re: ]
Doctor Rick Offline
Free Prostate Exams

Originally Posted By: AuntyM
WTH do you know Rick? You're a Doctor for pete's sake. moose

I will know my current A1C tomorrow. Got stuck by the lab vampire today.

Yeah, and it gets worse. I do weight related medicine for a living (Bariatric Medicine).

Hope it goes well, Marsha!

#685957 - 05/31/11 11:05 PM Re: Food, Fat, and Fitness [Re: Doctor Rick]
Dan S. Offline

I'm a type 1 diabetic......for the last 40 years.

#685962 - 05/31/11 11:25 PM Re: Food, Fat, and Fitness [Re: ]
HOOKUP Offline
Returning Adult

Cutting carbs is calorie cutting for dummies...so easy even a dr. can do it.

Learning how to eat a balanced meal and hitting your daily macronutrients based on your individual goals is what smart people do.

Revised comment to not include obese or non-obese diabetics. Just average people skinny to fat...

You diabetics get your own forum, were all normal here

Edited by HOOKUP (05/31/11 11:35 PM)

#685966 - 05/31/11 11:36 PM Re: Food, Fat, and Fitness [Re: HOOKUP]
Todd Offline
Dick Nipples

Loc: Seattle, Washington USA
I must be lucky...I mainly eat meat (of all sorts), and raw vegetables...and it seems that whatever I need the most of at the time, my body craves, so that's what I eat.

Spending a lot of time outside the house doing things helps a lot, I'm sure.

When I quit smoking seven or eight years ago I gained 45 pounds in about eight months, went from 195 to 240...joined the gym and worked out, got back down to 205 in about eight weeks, and even though I ditched the gym membership I mainly bounce between about 205 and 210 all the time...which seems to suit me just fine.

I keep waiting for the other shoe to drop...for my metabolism to realize I'm too old for it to keep cranking along like it does...but I'm 41 years old now and so far it's keeping right up with me...

Fish on...

Todd

Team Flying Super Ditch Pickle

#685970 - 05/31/11 11:42 PM Re: Food, Fat, and Fitness [Re: ]
HOOKUP Offline
Returning Adult

Having a conversation about body composition/diet is not the same when factors such as diabetes are left out.. I dont research diabetes because it doesnt apply to me. If time permits I may dig around but its not on my give a [censored] list.

#685971 - 05/31/11 11:44 PM Re: Food, Fat, and Fitness [Re: ]
lukesfishin Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: evt
if you have time, and netflix....check out the movie 'food matters'. No joke this movie has changed the way I eat and take vitamins. Of course exersize is a huge part of being healthy, I somehow have the metabolism of a rabbit.

After watching that movie I started eating a ton of organic fruits and veg's and saw a huge difference in energy, brain function (memory mostly) and attitude. Its amazing what happens to your body when u actually take in what your body needs. I didn't go all out like some of the freaks on there (I need meat!) But there is a ton of good info on the benefits of raw veggies, friut/ vitamins.

I urge you all to watch this movie and share it with ones you love, no joke guys and gals, don't be a victom of the 'sickness indusrty' feed yourselves good food!!

#685974 - 05/31/11 11:54 PM Re: Food, Fat, and Fitness [Re: ]
HOOKUP Offline
Returning Adult

Everything I posted is legit. I have not studied the effect (if there is any) of people who are diabetic, insilin resistant, etc.

I do know that in normal people insilin is not the bad guy it gets made out to be, and insilin swings are just that with no effect on fat storage.

http://weightology.net/weightologyweekly/?page_id=319

And lastly Aunty, if you had any friends or relatives that were half way health concious you would have heard about the calories in/calories out macronutriant verbage, its the way athletes and people who train set up there diets.

Edited by HOOKUP (05/31/11 11:56 PM)

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
CHUBS
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 939 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13521
eyeFISH 12766
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63773 Topics
645302 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |