Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#68650 - 10/08/02 11:30 AM WHAT'S UP, EASY
TRAUT Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: HIDING
Hey Carl,

Just wondering how its going. Curious as to how AS&M is treating you. Need help w/ anything?

#68651 - 10/08/02 11:34 AM Re: WHAT'S UP, EASY
Busy Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Bellevue
I am curious too, how are they treating you?

#68652 - 10/08/02 02:28 PM Re: WHAT'S UP, EASY
Easy Limits Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Nisqually
Nothing new to report since I was out of town over the weekend. I am taking my boat/motor/trailer receipts down to AS&M on Wednesday.

I did get paid by my renters insurance already, man that was quick! cool I hope things go as smooth with AS&M as with my insurance.

#68653 - 10/10/02 12:04 AM Re: WHAT'S UP, EASY
Easy Limits Offline
River Nutrients

I dropped off my boat/motor/trailer receipts today at AS&M.

They gave me a form letter apologizing for the inconvenience of having my boat stolen and they were very interested in getting this problem resolved.

I now have to play the "waiting game" with their insurance company. I also need to talk with the Auburn Police Dept. about this case.

I thought I would be back on the water this weekend. That does not look like that will happen. frown

#68654 - 10/10/02 02:14 PM Re: WHAT'S UP, EASY
Busy Offline
Returning Adult

Carl,

Hood Canal is opening up for Chum. Mike is out of commission due to his trip to Tillamook coming up. If you want to head out and give it a try let me know. Or the Green, or the Snohomish or whatever.
Tom

#68655 - 10/10/02 04:00 PM Re: WHAT'S UP, EASY
Easy Limits Offline
River Nutrients

Cool, thanks man!

I think it is a little early for chums yet, if you are talking about fishing the Canal this weekend.

I am still undecided on what to do this weekend. I may go boat shopping. I still need to get my own boat and trailer (needs lights and a winch) tow worthy. I also need to water test the hull after the beating it took.

#68656 - 10/10/02 05:07 PM Re: WHAT'S UP, EASY
Zen Leecher aka Bill W Offline
Spawner

Loc: Moses Lake
The WDFW web page shows they've just started getting some silvers at the hatchery and had one summer chum come through.

So, give it a couple of weeks before looking for chums. Actually I don't think the season for chums starts until the 15th or so.

When you start hearing of people catching chums at Possession and Point No Point... that's the time to start thinking of chums.

The John's River and one other creek down by there usually have runs starting before the Hoodsport Hatchery gets hot. I forget the other creek's name. It's SE of John's creek and along 101 West of Olympia.

#68657 - 10/10/02 07:40 PM Re: WHAT'S UP, EASY
Busy Offline
Returning Adult

Zen, you gonna be checking this one out? Wouldn't mind the company some time. You ever catch one on you fly rod? I still think fishing for them would be a blast in a float tube!

#68658 - 10/11/02 11:25 AM Re: WHAT'S UP, EASY
Zen Leecher aka Bill W Offline
Spawner

Loc: Moses Lake
Tom,

I've fished for both chums and humpies over in front of the hatchery. Humpies will be running again next year. I waded for them and used my 5 wt with a floating line. Used a hot pink fly that was unweighted. Found schools and cast to them. Usually had a hook up right away.... but it's hard to get a second hook up from the school.

Chums... I've been fishing them over there since the early 90's. Used to be easier before Finch Creek re-routed itself. It used to go straight out to the canal. Now it takes a dogleg left and is too hard to fish with a fly rod. One needs a boat or a belly boat to fish it properly. I used a heavier rod here... an 8 or a 9 also with a floating line and this time with the standard lime green "chum candy". I've caught them up to 23 pounds out in front of the hatchery. Shame I didn't know it back then as back then the saltwater record was only 14 pounds. I'd caught about 15-20 fish that broke the record that year. I think a 23 pounder would still do it, but with the creek re-routing itself, it's harder to do. A vee-boat or a pontoon boat would be better than a donut style belly boat.

I may be over this year if duck hunting doesn't get in the way. I'm also going out bird hunting as I got a lab last year.

For others reading this, fly gear works best in the shallows (up to 15 feet) in front of the hatchery. If one gets further out in deeper water or along the deeper shoreline to the north ( 0.5 or 1.0 mile) of the hatchery, then standard spoons, jigs or spinners give better results.

#68659 - 10/11/02 12:02 PM Re: WHAT'S UP, EASY
Easy Limits Offline
River Nutrients

I saw guys out there last year fly fishing for chums in float tubes. Man, that looked like a lot of fun! cool

#68660 - 10/15/02 09:27 PM Re: WHAT'S UP, EASY
Busy Offline
Returning Adult

I was out of Shilshole a week ago and saw a school of chum breaking the surface. Nothing much since. Do you plan on hitting them when they are in at possession? Silvers seem to have dried up! I am going through withdrawls here!

#68661 - 10/15/02 11:22 PM Re: WHAT'S UP, EASY
Easy Limits Offline
River Nutrients

I have not tried for chums in Possession. I hear they really hold up off of Kayak Pt. SP, north of Possession. Just like Hood Canal. That may be worth a shot. I told my north end friend to keep an eye on Kayak Pt. I have not heard anything from him recently.

I know what you mean about withdrawls! frown

#68662 - 10/16/02 06:32 PM Re: WHAT'S UP, EASY
Easy Limits Offline
River Nutrients

Things are finally starting to take a positive spin with AS&M and my claim. Information is being exchanged and I hope, they do too, to get this wrapped up next week. I still need to water test my boat after I get a new winch assembly (Thursday) put on my new trailer. That will be my project this weekend. smile smile smile

#68663 - 10/21/02 12:15 AM Re: WHAT'S UP, EASY
Easy Limits Offline
River Nutrients

On Saturday, I put the new winch assembly and tail lights on my new trailer. Pounded out the large dent in the bow. Then I hauled my boat over to Steele Lake for a float test. I am really surprised, considering the beating my boat has taken, it still floats. eek

#68664 - 10/21/02 12:18 AM Re: WHAT'S UP, EASY
Cigar Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Shoreline, Wa.
THAT'S GREAT EL!!! laugh laugh

Cigar

#68665 - 10/21/02 11:30 AM Re: WHAT'S UP, EASY
TRAUT Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: HIDING
Nice to hear some good (better) news for a change. Hope things work out well.

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
landcruiserwilly, Tom Trune
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 300 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63778 Topics
645368 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |