Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#689598 - 06/19/11 02:27 PM Re: .243 or .270?????????? [Re: STRIKE ZONE]
deerlick Offline
Spawner

Loc: around
Originally Posted By: STRIKE ZONE
Well,I pulled the trigger on the heads up from deerlick.She ended up with a .270 22" barrel savage with the 3X9X10 combo camo synthetic on sale @ cabela's for $329.99.Bought a box of 130 to run through it this weekend and maybe even tonight if she's lucky.We will up grade and change thing's later down the road if need be,maybe for graduation in 4 years if she sticks with it.I was real close to getting the 7mm-08 but held back.She doesn't know it yet but she will in an hour or so.I'll let her pick out the sling & case later this weekend.Anyone know were a girl can get a pink camo rifle sling???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????? and case.Thanks all.Good luck,
SZ

sportco has the pink camo sling, wife just had to have it.

#689785 - 06/20/11 12:11 PM Re: .243 or .270?????????? [Re: ]
STRIKE ZONE Offline
GOOD LUCK

Loc: Hobart,Wa U.S.A
Dogfish,Thanks for the offer as I'll keep it mind.Found the pink camo sling this past weekend.We will be sighting it in this coming weekend.Good luck,
SZ

#693950 - 07/16/11 12:11 AM Re: .243 or .270?????????? [Re: STRIKE ZONE]
blacklisttom07
Unregistered

#694041 - 07/16/11 03:16 PM Re: .243 or .270?????????? [Re: STRIKE ZONE]
JohnQ Offline
Spawner

Loc: COF in the Upper Left Hand Cor...
Originally Posted By: STRIKE ZONE
Well,I pulled the trigger on the heads up from deerlick.She ended up with a .270 22" barrel savage with the 3X9X10 combo camo synthetic on sale @ cabela's for $329.99.Bought a box of 130 to run through it this weekend and maybe even tonight if she's lucky.We will up grade and change thing's later down the road if need be,maybe for graduation in 4 years if she sticks with it.I was real close to getting the 7mm-08 but held back.She doesn't know it yet but she will in an hour or so.I'll let her pick out the sling & case later this weekend.Anyone know were a girl can get a pink camo rifle sling???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????? and case.Thanks all.Good luck,
SZ

SZ, to put the "Icing" on the end of that 270 barrel, I would take a little trip down to Orygun, just a tad south of PorkLand on I-5 is the Donald/Aurora Exit. Go to Rich's Gunshop in Donald and have him put a muzzle break on the barrel, it's one of Lee's specialities. The one he uses looks much like the Browning/Winchester BOSS system, but Lee (the Owner) has been doing them before the BOSS's ever hit the market. My elk hunting rifle is a custom 338 on a very light synthetic stock and kick so hard it left bruises. After Lee put the break on it, I could not tell the felt recoil differences between it and my 270 or 30-06's. Highly Recommend it & Lee's work.

Google "Rich's Gunshop", he has a very good website.

AuntyM -- What Crab Audit???? Not That POS Senior AssHat Published!!!!

Hey Mr Childers, have you corrected that Scofflaw Spreadsheet Yet?????

#694148 - 07/17/11 12:38 AM Re: .243 or .270?????????? [Re: JohnQ]
Schweet
Unregistered

May as well ask Santa to sew a dick on your Old Lady too(not that you haven't already).

Down range performance is a function of the whole enchilada and a 270Win do not trump a 243Win,in any meaningful way other than recoil,expense and sucktitude.

Humored that a 270 stoked with 130's at 3100fps are held in "esteem". That's a paltry .433BC,at mundane levels. Easy to toss a .505BC in a 243Win at like speeds...if only for conversation.

Kids?!!?

#694329 - 07/18/11 01:24 PM Re: .243 or .270?????????? [Re: ]
Schweet
Unregistered

Only someone who shoots/kills as little as you,could botch that obvious. Weight is easily one of the most moot designators amongst a boolits descriptors,as is SD. Only you cited a "130gr 6mm".

As to .243" projectiles of greater than 105 grains weight being mainstays,they most assuredly are amongst some disciplines. 6mm 115's are fairly ubiquitous and from several makers,all of which is well over your head. BC's in that realm will get you to .585 assuming you are "discussing" a G1 drag function. The G7 function will of course be a lesser designator in extrapolation,though of like flight characteristics.

More importantly than lauding BC solely,one should give great thought to terminal affects,a designator conveniently widely missed by both "weight" and "SD" "factors". All boolits of like diameter/weight,share the exact same SD,though it will be "news" only to you. Now despite those moot designators,BC and construction will be vastly different.

A SAAMI 243Win twisted in accords(1-8" if you've the 115 penchant,which I don't,so stated the 105 plainly from inception) will do very nice things from s/a confines,even in OEM guise. Opt an extended internal box(Wyatt or similar) or opt an extended DBM (HS or AICS namely) and things get even better.

In an over the counter modest barrel lengthed rifle chambered SAAMI 243,the .505/105 will do 3100fps,which in a mean-esque atmosphere,will stay supersonic to 1500yds+. The aforementioned 130gr Ballistic Tip can't hang in any realm,but on the bright side it's heavier,burns more powder,is longer,handles/balance worse,kicks harder,costs more to shoot and that horns some folks up.

Much appreciate your taking the time to extoll your "knowledge"...that was great! I bet you're hell on Humpies.

#694367 - 07/18/11 03:57 PM Re: .243 or .270?????????? [Re: ]
Dogfish Offline
Poodle Smolt

Loc: McCleary, WA
Both cartidges are improvements over their parent cartridges, 270 Win/.30-06 and .243/.308, but I would agree that the .243 certainly was the better end result. It is a very efficient cartridge.

They call me POODLE SMOLT!

The Discover Pass is brought to you by your friends at the CCA.

#694371 - 07/18/11 04:03 PM Re: .243 or .270?????????? [Re: Dogfish]
Schweet
Unregistered

You gotta neck the suck outta both parents,to steal the show...though the .505BC 155 Scenar in 30cal,do rate a thunk if forced to suffer said diameter.

Take both to 7mm and you are really ringing the bell. Punch same AI and it gets ugly fast(so I do). Shoot 6-06AI too and it ain't a slouch. Shoot 25-06AI and it ain't too hard to take.

No trick to slap a 270Win around easily,with less case capacity and a far more lithe parcel that'll out Agg it.

I hear good things about the .625BC 162's in the 284-08.

#694649 - 07/19/11 09:16 PM Re: .243 or .270?????????? [Re: ]
Direct-Drive Offline
ExtenZe Field Tester

Loc: Vancouver, WA
1. I would have liked to have seen the young lass start with a .243 and hone her marksmanship skills with that.

2. A 105 - 107 grain 6mm pill out of an AR approaching 3000 fps sounds like long range fun smile
(especially if it could spank a Grendel)

#694705 - 07/20/11 01:44 AM Re: .243 or .270?????????? [Re: ]
Dogfish Offline
Poodle Smolt

Loc: McCleary, WA
I like my 6.8 SPC with either the 110gr or 95 Gr TTSX. Both are more than enough for deer. Not too stout, and at our chipshot ranges for Western WA blacktails, wind drift is not an issue. The boys hgave taken 3 deer with the rifle to date. Longest shot was maybe 70 yards. Shortest was maybe 20 yards.

2850 fps is about all folks are safely getting out of the 95gr pill.

They call me POODLE SMOLT!

The Discover Pass is brought to you by your friends at the CCA.

#694771 - 07/20/11 03:39 PM Re: .243 or .270?????????? [Re: ]
Driftin' Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Offshore
Originally Posted By: Schweet
A SAAMI 243Win twisted in accords(1-8" if you've the 115 penchant,which I don't,so stated the 105 plainly from inception) will do very nice things from s/a confines,even in OEM guise. Opt an extended internal box(Wyatt or similar) or opt an extended DBM (HS or AICS namely) and things get even better.

In an over the counter modest barrel lengthed rifle chambered SAAMI 243,the .505/105 will do 3100fps,which in a mean-esque atmosphere,will stay supersonic to 1500yds+.

Nice rifle recipe 'round the 6mm/.243 105 A-Max for those so inclined....

#694895 - 07/21/11 09:38 AM Re: .243 or .270?????????? [Re: ]
Schweet
Unregistered

Originally Posted By: Redd_Daetona
Shwinnng,

"Only someone who shoots/kills as little as you,could botch that obvious. Weight is easily one of the most moot designators amongst a boolits descriptors,as is SD. Only you cited a "130gr 6mm"."

- Well, ya got me on that point. I have not shot a .243 in 27 years +/-. Back in the day a 105 Nosler part was about as stout as I could find to load. As I was loading for heavier game I was looking for more mass, not more speed. Sooo, a 130 gr in .243 woulda floated my boat jest fine.

"As to .243" projectiles of greater than 105 grains weight being mainstays,they most assuredly are amongst some disciplines. 6mm 115's are fairly ubiquitous and from several makers,all of which is well over your head."

- And, again you got me there as well, over my head.

"BC's in that realm will get you to .585 assuming you are "discussing" a G1 drag function. The G7 function will of course be a lesser designator in extrapolation,though of like flight characteristics."

- And again, real big words like gag, er, I mean drag.

"More importantly than lauding BC solely,one should give great thought to terminal affects,a designator conveniently widely missed by both "weight" and "SD" "factors". All boolits of like diameter/weight,share the exact same SD,though it will be "news" only to you. Now despite those moot designators,BC and construction will be vastly different.

- Even vastly different construction as well? Wow! I'd hardly though much beyond the pb. But, I think that is part of what you're trying to tell me here?

"A SAAMI 243Win twisted in accords(1-8" if you've the 115 penchant,which I don't,so stated the 105 plainly from inception) will do very nice things from s/a confines,even in OEM guise. Opt an extended internal box(Wyatt or similar) or opt an extended DBM (HS or AICS namely) and things get even better."

- Hey now, I'm a cutt'n and a past'n al this billnye science stuff to my updated loading manual for sure, thanks!

"In an over the counter modest barrel lengthed rifle chambered SAAMI 243,the .505/105 will do 3100fps,which in a mean-esque atmosphere,will stay supersonic to 1500yds+. The aforementioned 130gr Ballistic Tip can't hang in any realm,but on the bright side it's heavier,burns more powder,is longer,handles/balance worse,kicks harder,costs more to shoot and that horns some folks up."

- But will it kill a deer? The .130 gr BT that is. And no matter what you say, I still like those old Nosler 105s in my.243, so don't even try and talk me outta that!

"Much appreciate your taking the time to extoll your "knowledge"...that was great! I bet you're hell on Humpies."

- And thank you Schweet, for your help here.

Schweeettttttttt, did you note that feint high bypass ratio jet engine-like sound passing over yer head? Fore perhaps...

Now, ass too the Humpy issue, well, I never use a rifle for Humpies, when a 28 gage sxs will do just fine!

NPT's never were any good,but they've long enjoyed paltry BC's to "compliment" their integrity.

Great time to post some pics of your "victims" and perhaps touch even a little deeper on how your "keen sense" in regards to ballistics and the like,connected those dots.

I dig how playing dumb,isn't an act for you.

Take notes,apply same and much improve your game. That'd be both figurative and literal,with a pun to boot.

#694897 - 07/21/11 09:40 AM Re: .243 or .270?????????? [Re: Driftin']
Schweet
Unregistered

Originally Posted By: Driftin'
Originally Posted By: Schweet

In an over the counter modest barrel lengthed rifle chambered SAAMI 243,the .505/105 will do 3100fps,which in a mean-esque atmosphere,will stay supersonic to 1500yds+.

Nice rifle recipe 'round the 6mm/.243 105 A-Max for those so inclined....

A chambering can be only as good as the boolits it's fed and boolits matter FAR more than headstamps.

Few savvy the most basic of those constants.

#694973 - 07/21/11 03:23 PM Re: .243 or .270?????????? [Re: ]
chrome/22 Offline
Captain C/22 - Team Stay Up Right!

Loc: Hurricane Ridge , Wa.
Stick, your up boy...

c/22

#695047 - 07/21/11 07:29 PM Re: .243 or .270?????????? [Re: ]
Direct-Drive Offline
ExtenZe Field Tester

Loc: Vancouver, WA

But, there are lotsa birds and fish to mourn over and with some good drink, a back slap or two, we can then go through the guns for some helpful pointers on what may be missing in my armory?
Then we can grab a sack of apples, head down to range and I'll show you what those babies can do.

Redd

That's better smile

#695062 - 07/21/11 08:00 PM Re: .243 or .270?????????? [Re: ]
Driftin' Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Offshore
My money was on Redd...

right up until Brad made popcorn....

smile

#695087 - 07/21/11 09:42 PM Re: .243 or .270?????????? [Re: Driftin']
chrome/22 Offline
Captain C/22 - Team Stay Up Right!

Loc: Hurricane Ridge , Wa.
As stated b4 have I both the aforementioned calibers in my rack, a Ruger M-77 in 270 & a tackdriving Winchester M-70 heavy varmint w/ 26" stainless bbl.

The Ruger is my hunter, the Winchester a nice target rifle.

When taking a shot on game the bigger 270 gets the nod, a 140 grain Nosler Accubond w/ its .496 bc & 3000 fps mv bucks crosswinds & slices atmosphere.

Gonna have to make do till that .338 Lapua magically shows up.

c/22

#695105 - 07/21/11 11:00 PM Re: .243 or .270?????????? [Re: ]
Schweet
Unregistered

No digi-picts of my deer to post here. We do have some old glossy silver nitrate based black and whites glued into the photo album, and you'd be welcome to come over to the house and share some hunting memories with me and the pack?

Only a few dead deer will be shown as I have only hunted deer on the rare occasion, and like I said, back in the day.

But, there are lotsa birds and fish to mourn over and with some good drink, a back slap or two, we can then go through the guns for some helpful pointers on what may be missing in my armory?

I know you just missed it above, but I already told you, I was all over your magical formulae and wrote all of import to a post-it for future additions to my loading manual.

I will need further help with cramming all that information into the Lee Loader box however, so send me a PM for a visit and possibly a front seat ride in the DB for some summer run & pink fishing?

You can swim, can't you?

Redd

Very easy to take a digital pic of a print...from any Era.

You flatter yourself to think you'd rate the company,though you are undoubtedly very much aquainted with running on imagination.

In fairness,I've prolly knocked a fish in the head once and knocked a bird outta the sky as well,so am at ease in the conversation of all wares associated(understatement).

Happy Humpying.

#695109 - 07/21/11 11:07 PM Re: .243 or .270?????????? [Re: chrome/22]
Schweet
Unregistered

Originally Posted By: chrome/22
As stated b4 have I both the aforementioned calibers in my rack, a Ruger M-77 in 270 & a tackdriving Winchester M-70 heavy varmint w/ 26" stainless bbl.

The Ruger is my hunter, the Winchester a nice target rifle.

When taking a shot on game the bigger 270 gets the nod, a 140 grain Nosler Accubond w/ its .496 bc & 3000 fps mv bucks crosswinds & slices atmosphere.

Gonna have to make do till that .338 Lapua magically shows up.

c/22

The 140 cain't hang with a 22" SAAMI 243Win.

I'd rather be slingin' 162's,than beating on things with my 1-10" 338Ultra. Tough to arrange a 338Lapua that's throated/twisted right,over the counter. Many are 12",which slams doors from the get-go. Really very tough to beat the Ultra,when talking .338" bores and a repeater. The 250 and 300 Scenar's are tough acts to follow,though I've been praying to Little Baby Jeezus for a .338" A-Max for many moons(would like 'em in .257" too).

It's ALL about the boolit and .277's are hosed for that reason,whether they SPC,06,Wby or otherwise.

#695111 - 07/21/11 11:11 PM Re: .243 or .270?????????? [Re: ]
Schweet
Unregistered

Originally Posted By: 2MANY
The best rifle is the one that an individual can shoot accurately and knows the rifles limitations and his or her own.

Light done right,is where the most results lay. Conjoin a nice blueprint with a twist/throat in harmony to it's COAL and that which you couldn't have fathomed the day prior,becomes mundane the next.

No trick to placing crosshairs where one wishes and having the boolit arrive same...but not all chamberings deliver like results,at like range. So very often...less is very simply so much more.

Old Notions and addled Wives Tales die lingering deaths,as so eloquently extolled here within. But it's entertainin'.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Bob, Jerry Garcia, ReiterRat, Sky-Guy 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
CHUBS
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
1 registered (stonefish), 1114 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13521
eyeFISH 12766
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63773 Topics
645302 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |