THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#689866 - 06/20/11 04:18 PM Drift boat anchor needed.
steeliedrew Offline
SRC Poser

Loc: Snohomish
Looking for a 35 or 40 lb. pyramid anchor for the drift boat. Anybody wanna sell me one?

Thank you,

Drew

"Dude...where's your boat!?" Team runaway drift boat prostaff.

Big Stick 2012: "EVERY thought of my being, is in regards to being a Hi-Tech Predator and I relish the role."

#689869 - 06/20/11 04:21 PM Re: Drift boat anchor needed. [Re: steeliedrew]
steeliedrew Offline
SRC Poser

Or if you know anyone who makes them please let me know. Not looking to buy one new from the store and pay out the arse.

Drew

Big Stick 2012: "EVERY thought of my being, is in regards to being a Hi-Tech Predator and I relish the role."

#689891 - 06/20/11 05:56 PM Re: Drift boat anchor needed. [Re: steeliedrew]
STRIKE ZONE Offline
GOOD LUCK

Loc: Hobart,Wa U.S.A
3 sided or 4???????.Good luck,
SZ

#689895 - 06/20/11 06:18 PM Re: Drift boat anchor needed. [Re: STRIKE ZONE]
AP a.k.a. Kaiser D Offline
Hippie

Loc: B'ham
Talk to JasonY on this board. I think his business is called TackleShack. He has advertised on the classified a while back.

I bought 2 extras from him and they are perfect. His bottomfishing jigheads are killer too!

Here was his old post: http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/forum...html#Post671731

-AP

#689901 - 06/20/11 06:58 PM Re: Drift boat anchor needed. [Re: AP a.k.a. Kaiser D]
steeliedrew Offline
SRC Poser

Thanks aaron. Will do. I lost one yesterday due to not taping the anchor clip. Half way down the river this happened and we had to tie on a 40lb. Rock. We must have looked pretty ghetto with a rock hanging off the back. Haha. That's my humility for the day.

P.S. note to self...purchase locking clip for new anchor! frown

Drew

Edited by steeliedrew (06/20/11 07:00 PM)

#689902 - 06/20/11 07:01 PM Re: Drift boat anchor needed. [Re: STRIKE ZONE]
steeliedrew Offline
SRC Poser

Originally Posted By: STRIKE ZONE
3 sided or 4???????.Good luck,
SZ

It could be 17 sided for all I care. wink I just need one asap.

#689907 - 06/20/11 07:29 PM Re: Drift boat anchor needed. [Re: steeliedrew]
Sky-Guy Offline
The Tide changed

Loc: Everett
Cheapest deals I have seen recently are on Craigslist. Look up Lead in Boats or Sporting goods.

#689921 - 06/20/11 08:36 PM Re: Drift boat anchor needed. [Re: steeliedrew]
Direct-Drive Offline
ExtenZe Field Tester

Loc: Vancouver, WA
Originally Posted By: steeliedrew

P.S. note to self...purchase locking clip for new anchor! frown
Drew

What's a locking clip ?
Just tie a good knot.
I work with a guy who snorkels the Clack in late summer....he's got a load of 'em. I'll bet there's somebody up north who does the same.
Check CL or the other fishing boards.

#690021 - 06/21/11 06:07 AM Re: Drift boat anchor needed. [Re: Direct-Drive]
steeliedrew Offline
SRC Poser

Originally Posted By: Direct-Drive

What's a locking clip ?
Just tie a good knot.

By "locking clip" I mean a locking carabiner. I did not lose the anchor due to any kind of knot failure. Attached to the end of my anchor rope is a plastic loop. For easy anchor install and removal I was using a normal clip style carabiner to attach the anchor to the plastic loop. When I went to anchor up half way down river I released the anchor lock, heard the splash, and then noticed what felt like the anchor had not caught yet. I pulled on the anchor line and felt no resistance and said f uck. My guess is when the anchor hit the bottom, the carabiner must have opened on a rock or something down there and slipped off the anchor. I know exactly where it is and will look for it optimistically when the river drops. I did some searching today and found a guy who sells them for $1.60 per pound, so I'm looking at $56 for a 35lb. anchor. Not bad compared to what I've seen em go for at tackle shops. I'll pick that one up and get a spare ASAP as well.

Thank you,

Drew

#690024 - 06/21/11 07:58 AM Re: Drift boat anchor needed. [Re: steeliedrew]
Direct-Drive Offline
ExtenZe Field Tester

Loc: Vancouver, WA
Ah, the ol' (non-locking) carabiner + anchor trick.

#690039 - 06/21/11 10:20 AM Re: Drift boat anchor needed. [Re: Direct-Drive]
Jason Y Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Poulsbo
I have 35lbers they are 4 sided (these actually fit in a factory anchor cradle) how many do you need?

#690065 - 06/21/11 12:23 PM Re: Drift boat anchor needed. [Re: Jason Y]
STRIKE ZONE Offline
GOOD LUCK

Loc: Hobart,Wa U.S.A
So you don't have a anchor nest for it then. Cause you would care if you did,just sayin.Good luck,
SZ

#690072 - 06/21/11 12:31 PM Re: Drift boat anchor needed. [Re: STRIKE ZONE]
AP a.k.a. Kaiser D Offline
Hippie

Loc: B'ham
I don't think (most) Clacka's have an anchor nest.

Drew, I did exactly the same auto-release trick on the Hoh about 6 years ago. And you are right, it is humbling going down the river with a giant rock ghetto-wrapped onto the anchor rope.

-AP

#690082 - 06/21/11 01:01 PM Re: Drift boat anchor needed. [Re: AP a.k.a. Kaiser D]
larryb Offline
The Rainman

Loc: elma washington
i have 2 i would sell

#690083 - 06/21/11 01:05 PM Re: Drift boat anchor needed. [Re: AP a.k.a. Kaiser D]
Todd Offline
Dick Nipples

Loc: Seattle, Washington USA
The only thing more humbling than the "opened carabiner trick" is not the rock you have to use...but having buddies who "help" you out...

Many years ago I was anchored in two feet of water rigging schit up on the upper Sauk, just above a log jam...all of a sudden, we were floating away.

Damn.

Had a locking carabiner on, and it still came undone. D'oh.

Hopped on the sticks, and got around the log jam, no worries.

Pulled over at the next convenient spot, and did the ol' "look for a big rock" routine...found one, wrapped it in cam straps, and tied it on.

Didn't work worth a schit, but it was better than no anchor...I guess.

Typically knowing people is a good thing...but I guess it depends on who ya know wink

Got back to town later and called up my buddy Rob Endsley, when he was still guiding up there, and living in Bellingham.

"Rob, if you've got an anchor laying around, I need it tomorrow...I know right where my anchor is, but it's a few miles to get to it and I'd like to have an actual anchor to use to get there."

Since Rob was there daily, and I was up there camping for a month, this was an easy fix...right?

"You know we're moving, right? I have this old homemade POS anchor in the garage...it's three sided, weighs about 20 pounds, and has a crescent wrench sunk in it for a loop. I was going to bury it in the backyard before we moved...it'll be perfect for you!"

"Uhh...thanks!"

Rob showed up at my camp early the next morning with his clients in tow, who thought this was all pretty funny. He comes out of his truck with a small three sided anchor, with the wrench sticking out of it...spray painted bright yellow with the words "Endzlee's Kustom Ankerz" written all over it with a black Sharpie.

He presented it to me like it was the fuckin Stanley Cup, and everyone laughed.

Not one to ruin a good joke, I dutifully tied it on, and went fishing.

It didn't work much better than the rock I had on the day before, but got a few funny looks in the first few miles of river, that's for sure!

When I got to where my own anchor was sitting, I pulled over and grabbed it, tied it on, and tossed the yellow Kustom Anker in my box, where it sat for two years, thankfully never to be needed again.

I gave it to another friend as a pontoon anchor a few years later...don't know where it ever went after that.

Ahhh...friends. Like I said, it's good to know people, just be careful about who ya know.

Honestly...it was a hella nice thing to do, to dig around and find that anchor and give it to me to use for half a day...and if everyone has fun with it, then all the better.

Fish on...

Todd

P.S. I never use carabiners ever, after that...always a good strong knot.

Team Flying Super Ditch Pickle

#690087 - 06/21/11 01:34 PM Re: Drift boat anchor needed. [Re: Todd]
Coho Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Muk
Put a thimble around the anchor the guide the rope through and tie a good solid noose tightened down to the thimble/anchor.

another handy McGiver anchor is carry a mesh nylon bag in the boat and extra rope (in the boat storage) Then you can pull over and fill it with rocks and your day is not ruined for fishing..This saved my arse before.

Edited by Coho (06/21/11 01:45 PM)

#690091 - 06/21/11 02:13 PM Re: Drift boat anchor needed. [Re: Coho]
steeliedrew Offline
SRC Poser

Originally Posted By: Coho

This is exactly what is already at the end of my anchor rope. The only reason I like the carabiner is so I can carry the anchor in my rig from place to place and just clip it on and off with ease. I guess it's with too much ease though if i'm loosing expensive chunks of lead. I'll take everyone's advice here and get a new thimble and tie a savage knot.

Thanks everybody,

Drew

#690092 - 06/21/11 02:16 PM Re: Drift boat anchor needed. [Re: steeliedrew]
steeliedrew Offline
SRC Poser

That's a funny story Todd. I've had the anchor slip a couple times while anchored above obstructions in the river, rigging up and all of a sudden a buddy goes..."DUDE!!! FUCKIN ROW!!! and I look up to see that we're being pulled right into danger. I'm pretty selective about where I anchor now. Got a picture of that old yellow anchor? Sounds awesome.

Drew

#690097 - 06/21/11 02:46 PM Re: Drift boat anchor needed. [Re: steeliedrew]
Todd Offline
Dick Nipples

Loc: Seattle, Washington USA
It was embarrassing enough without pictures.

'Nuf sed.

Fish on...

Todd

Team Flying Super Ditch Pickle

#690157 - 06/21/11 05:15 PM Re: Drift boat anchor needed. [Re: Todd]
steeliedrew Offline
SRC Poser

I hear ya. I probably looked pretty funny with a huge fuckin rock ghetto rigged off the back the other day. Got my new anchor today though.

Thanks everybody.

Drew

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
BigRedHead, Gene, Milton Fisher, Selther, SpinyRayLover
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
3 registered (seabeckraised, No More Ice Fishin, 20 Gage), 1194 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63779 Topics
645373 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |