Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#69138 - 12/14/02 07:41 AM I'm back, and opinions wanted on porta-botes
Arklier Offline
Returning Adult

Some of you guys who have been here for awhile may remember me. I got 95% of my freshwater gear stolen out of my car in the middle of the summer. That was at least $400 worth of stuff. While I got it all back after posting a $100 reward, I just couldn't motivate myself to go fishing for the rest of the year. Thankfully, I'm now over it and looking forwards to fishing in the spring.

I've decided that I'm going to get a fishing boat before fishing season starts next year, and no longer be landlocked. However, the distinct lack of a real towing vehicle, and the fact that I'm mostly on my own while fishing limits what I can handle. I'm still driving my dinky Corolla, and the fact that it's 60 miles round trip to work 5 days a week keeps me from trading it in for a truck. Plus there's the fact that if I had a trailer, I would have to leave the boat unattended after launch while I park. Not a good idea. So I was thinking of going with a 10' or 12' Porta-Bote. You know, the folding ones. Seems like it would be the perfect one person cartopper, and if I order the wheeled dolly, I could drive up, park, assemble the boat, stow everything in it, walk it down to the water, then launch and take the wheels off. I already have a trolling motor that I got for an inflatable I sold last year. It can take an outboard up to 5.5 hp too, for bigger water. Does anyone have any experience with these? I don't want another inflatable. Tried them, didn't like them. Thanks!

#69139 - 12/15/02 05:07 PM Re: I'm back, and opinions wanted on porta-botes
Easy Limits Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Nisqually
I have not ridden in one. I have seen them out and about though. Mostly on lakes. They seem to do OK.

This is their web page

#69140 - 12/15/02 09:12 PM Re: I'm back, and opinions wanted on porta-botes
NOFISH Online   content
River Nutrients

Loc: Olalla, WA
I fished outta one several times with two other guys in the boat.......little bit of leakage around the seams, but nothing that a coffee can couldn't handle! We were all in our early 20's, and, speaking for myself, a heckuva lighter then......It will probably work just fine for you as long as you don't push it's capacity.

Damn Stam!
Remember, Ask yourself "What would Stam do?" smile

#69141 - 12/16/02 03:05 AM Re: I'm back, and opinions wanted on porta-botes
Arklier Offline
Returning Adult

Could it be used to go out on larger bodies of water? Like Lake Samammish or Lake Washington? With the outboard, I mean.

#69142 - 12/16/02 09:44 AM Re: I'm back, and opinions wanted on porta-botes
Easy Limits Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Nisqually
Sure you could use it on a big lake. I would practice on a small lake first though. Lakes like WA and Samm can get very rough in a hurry. You don't want to get caught out there when the big waves kick up.

#69143 - 12/16/02 11:03 AM Re: I'm back, and opinions wanted on porta-botes
HBP Offline
Spawner

Loc: Everett,Wa
A guy I work with has one,he's a big dude,goes about 275lbs. He goes out with his friend all the time,he's a bit smaller. I ran into them at a nearby lake and the boat they had,didn't leak a drop in 3hrs of fishing. Not that porta-boats can't leak,it's just this one didn't.

- no boss, no clock, no stress, no dress code...no shoes,no shirts, no problems. - Kenny Chesney -

#69144 - 12/17/02 05:00 PM Re: I'm back, and opinions wanted on porta-botes
Steve Ericsson Offline
Spawner

Loc: Olympia, Wa
Saw one this summer while camping on Mayfield Lake. Looked pretty darned cool to me! I was surprised how stable it was. He carried it down to the water, put the seats in, brought down a small motor and off he went! I see a lot of them on the sides of motor homes on the highway, looks like a great way to carry a boat when you don't have the means to pull one.

#69145 - 01/13/03 07:39 AM Re: I'm back, and opinions wanted on porta-botes
Arklier Offline
Returning Adult

For anyone who was interested, here is the response I got from the vendor a few days ago with their current show prices. I also posted this on the main forum, but this is for those who might be interested and don't read that board.

-

Thanks for contacting Porta-Bote.

Porta-Bote is a unique folding, portable boat that actually folds to
4 inches (10 cm) flat. It's ideal for the fishing, boating, sailing,
hunting and camping enthusiast who lacks the space to
store or transport ordinary boats.

Here are the current 2003 factory SHOW prices, valid through Feb 3rd, 2003:

COLORS Pacific Pearl Olive Drab Aluminum Gray

8' Porta-Bote, (List Price: $1705) Factory SHOW Price: $1,149
10' Porta-Bote, (List Price: $1745) Factory SHOW Price: $1,199
12' Porta-Bote, (List Price: $1795) Factory SHOW Price: $1,249

Sailkit - New Model, $499
Porta-Sunshade, $159
Porta-Dolly III, $179
Pair Oars/Oar Locks, FREE
Pair RV Mounts, $129
Pair Cartop Straps, $39
Trolling Mount, $59
3.5 HP Nissan Outboard (8',10',12'), $725
4.0 HP 4 Stroke Nissan Outboard (10',12'), $995
5.0 HP 4 Stroke Nissan Outboard (10',12'), $1,149
6.0 HP 4 Stroke Nissan Outboard (12'), $1,225
2 Step EZ Boat Opener, FREE
Freight (Regularly $285) Factory SHOW Special: FREE

We guarantee a lower price than Cabela's. Please come see us at:

The Washington Sportsmen's Show
Western Washington Fairground
Puyallup, WA
Jan 22 - 26

Luke will be our representative. You can reach him at 208-630-4748.

Or call our office to place your order.

Please call our office toll free at 1-800-227-8882
Monday-Friday 8 am - 5 pm (Pacific time)
to order at these special prices.

We look forward to welcoming you aboard!

Best regards,
Paul Mintz & Tine Gildersleeve
Sales Department, Porta-Bote International

#69146 - 01/20/03 08:20 PM Re: I'm back, and opinions wanted on porta-botes
ErynH Offline
Alevin

Loc: Bellevue
I have a 12' Porta-bote and it's great. It carries three adults no problem. It's a bit unwieldy for one person when it's folded up, but not ridiculously so. I don't have a gas motor yet, but a 40 lb thrust electric works great for propulsion if you're not going far. I would definitely get a small outboard though if you're going out on big water, in case the wind comes up and you have to get in quick.

One pointer: I got mine last spring for $600--INCLUDING the wheels and oars which each sell for $100-something--by buying the boat used out of the classified ads. Check both the little nickel and seattle times.

Also, the wheels are pretty big and unless you want to padlock them to the dock you'll have to toss them in the front of the boat so as not to have to walk back up to your car. You probably will want the 12' rather than the 10'.

Ours is six years old and the seams don't leak a drop.

Good luck!

#69147 - 01/21/03 10:22 AM Re: I'm back, and opinions wanted on porta-botes
Arklier Offline
Returning Adult

I'm thinking I want to get one of the new ones, because in the last year or two, the design of the seats changed slightly. They're now plastic, and can be folded, which is an important consideration when you'll be transporting it about in a very small car like my Corolla. I have a 42lb thrust trolling motor, so I think I'm going to be saving the gas engine purchase for next year. I definitely want the wheels, though. Even though they're way overpriced at $180.

#69148 - 01/23/03 05:48 PM Re: I'm back, and opinions wanted on porta-botes
Arklier Offline
Returning Adult

I went to the Sportsman's show yesterday, and they had a 12'6" model set up. After looking it over, I ended up ordering the 10'6" model, because eventually I'm going to have to store it in an apartment, and those extra 2 feet could make a difference between being able to fit it through the front door or not. Plus the 12'6" model looked kinda big for one person to handle alone, which is how I do most of my fishing. I'll be sure and let everyone know how it performs over the summer!

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
ET, kbrain57, OLYBEAV
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
1 registered (1 invisible), 534 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14489
Salmo g. 13526
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63783 Topics
645418 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |