Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#69303 - 01/14/03 01:10 PM Launch Ramp Ediquite
ACT Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Port Townsend, WA
Don't you just love it when your trying to launch or pull your boat out of the water and some Idiot ties up the boat ramp while he unloads all his gear onto the ground from a pick up or car then launches or picks up his boat and then reloads the gear back into the boat or vehicle all the while tying up the ramp so no one else can use it.

Or how about the guy that can't drive a car muchless back a trailer up trying to back down the boat ramp to launch or retrieve his boat.

#69304 - 01/14/03 01:32 PM Re: Launch Ramp Ediquite
HBP Offline
Spawner

Loc: Everett,Wa
I feel your pain man. My biggest pet peave is the guy that takes way to long backing his boat down the ramp. Another one of mine is the jackass that has his wife do it for him. She launches a boat once a year,and he procedes to make her look like an idiot,by yelling and swearing at her,cause she is having problems.

Even the ramps that have reminders posted,as to how to launch in a timely manner,are always clogged up with these yahooo's.

- no boss, no clock, no stress, no dress code...no shoes,no shirts, no problems. - Kenny Chesney -

#69305 - 01/14/03 01:40 PM Re: Launch Ramp Ediquite
Micro Brew Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Normandy Park
I believe that the topic title is an oxymoron....

#69306 - 01/14/03 01:55 PM Re: Launch Ramp Ediquite
Zen Leecher aka Bill W Offline
Spawner

Loc: Moses Lake
This could lead to an interesting discussion as I'm one who is "back-up challenged" and since our trailer is a ride off type trailer, my wife will be the one to back it down the ramp.

I wouldn't even consider criticizing any of her efforts though.

I did have an fun time one year trying to back our trout fishing pram down a ramp over at Burke Lake. The ramp slants off to the side and the trailer was behind the camper where I could only see it when it was way too far at an angle. After about 5 stabs at trying to get it down the ramp, I finally quit and dragged the boat from the trailer down to the water. Should have done that in the beginning. I did/do have a little dolly that goes under the boat for that exact same purpose. It's slick.

We've got a Neah Bay trip in the plans for this Memorial Day and the new boat will be behind our camper. Only difference is this new boat is big enough where I think I'll be able to see it beyond the sides of the camper.

#69307 - 01/14/03 05:20 PM Re: Launch Ramp Ediquite
Dave D Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Gold Bar
Boat ramps are always good for a laugh, people are so stupid and rude. frown laugh

#69308 - 01/14/03 05:44 PM Re: Launch Ramp Ediquite
Micro Brew Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Normandy Park
The locks are always good from some cheap entertainment too.

#69309 - 01/14/03 05:54 PM Re: Launch Ramp Ediquite
Spawner

I've had some cars I couldn't get around on the freeway... and one had the bumpersticker "I may be slow, but I'm ahead of you"

#69310 - 01/15/03 03:31 AM Re: Launch Ramp Ediquite
PELICAN Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Maple Falls, Wa
Bill don't worry, I'll cheer you on when you come up here. laugh

#69311 - 01/15/03 09:33 AM Re: Launch Ramp Ediquite
Easy Limits Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Nisqually
Go to the Redondo launch, in July, on a Sunday, around 11 AM, when there is a minus tide. beathead fight

#69312 - 01/15/03 11:32 AM Re: Launch Ramp Ediquite
TRAUT Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: HIDING
HEY ZEN,

I can sympathize with the "by the time you see it, it's tooo late" syndrome, when backing up with the camper. One slick fix for this is to put a trailer hitch on your front bumper. It only takes a second to swap the trailer to the front bumper when you get to the ramp, and then you can see what's going on when you launch. Don't try this on the freeway though!!!!

#69313 - 01/15/03 11:41 AM Re: Launch Ramp Ediquite
ACT Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Port Townsend, WA
I still think of the two Oriential gentleman from Bremerton who launched their brand new fiber glass inboard/outboard boat about half way down the Fort Worden boat ramp on a minus tide a number of years ago. They were backing down the ramp hit their brakes and launched it on the ramp.

I can also remember more than one boat owner at the same ramp who had jumped line on boats waiting to get at the launch dock coming back with their trailer to pick up their boat only to find it floating some distance from the from the ramp dock some of the old boys up here played a little ruff especially if someone jumped line and there was twenty or thirty boats waiting in line to ge to the dock.

#69314 - 01/15/03 11:57 AM Re: Launch Ramp Ediquite
Spawner

you know... that's a good tip of the ball in the front of the truck.

I don't have much of a problem backing a boat up when I don't have the camper on... but when the boat is narrower than the camper, and the ramp is slanted sideways.. I have problems.

I'll find out for the trout opener how backing this new one down a ramp is. I suspect since it's either as wide or wider than the camper that I'll find it easier.

I could cheat and go over to the local mall one evening when it's deserted and practice backing the boat up into a parking spot. Naahhhh.... that would make actual fishing trips too easy..... I forget who gave me that tip. It may have been from this board. Might have been Carl.

#69315 - 01/15/03 01:38 PM Re: Launch Ramp Ediquite
Dave D Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Gold Bar
http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/ubbcgi/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=011800

#69316 - 01/15/03 10:43 PM Re: Launch Ramp Ediquite
glowball Offline
Spawner

Loc: bullcanyon
I understand being upset with the guy who loads his boat when its his turn instead of while he's waiting, but not everyone was born with the ability to back a trailer their first time.
Not to say there isn't some people out there that played hookie the day common sense was handed out.

#69317 - 01/16/03 01:11 PM Re: Launch Ramp Ediquite
bustin loose Offline
Alevin

Loc: Omak, WA
For those with campers you could get a Stable Lift system and load or unload your camper in about 10 minutes. I have one and it works like a charm.

#69318 - 01/16/03 01:41 PM Re: Launch Ramp Ediquite
Spawner

I got an fun story from my first trip out with my Lund. We were over at Sekiu and headed back to camp after the first trip out fishing. I was attempting to turn it around between the mooring docks and doing a poor job of it. Almost whacked another boat. Those boat owners rushed to the corner of their boat to push me off so we wouldn't hit.

The woman said "my... that's sure a nice looking boat but you can't operate it worth beans".

I replied.... "yeah... I just got this boat. Plunked down my money, got the keys and by virtue of plunking down the cash.. I'm a qualified boat operator. Scary isn't it?"

We both laughed after that.

I did lots better swinging it around after the evening trip out.

Now, it's no big deal.

#69319 - 01/30/03 02:39 PM Re: Launch Ramp Ediquite
Steve Ericsson Offline
Spawner

Loc: Olympia, Wa
Yep, the more you do it the better you get. My wife can now back me down the ramp pretty darn good which works great because then I can get the motor running and get out of everyones way that fast. Then I just run up to the bank or ramp when she is ready, grab her and go. Works pretty good, and the ladies on the ramp give her a big cheer. Took awhile to train her to do it, she really worried a few folks at first. It is now a real team effort! She decided she would rather learn to back the trailer than how to start the boat.

#69320 - 02/11/03 05:55 PM Re: Launch Ramp Ediquite
SalmonFisherJeff Offline
Smolt

This past summer was my first time to back up a boat trailer. I've always tried to avoid doing so but got brave one day and told my dad that I'd need to learn sooner or later so I took the initiative. One thing my dad told me is when backing up a boat trailer w/ or w/o a canopy is to open up the tailgate and/or canopy door to see what you're doing. I can say that for my 1st time backing up a boat, it helped me tramendously!!! I'd highly suggest others to that as well if they're not as experienced as I am. My dad is experienced at backing up a boat but he still does the method mentioned because it's easier and you can judge your distance from the dock or anything else you might wind up hitting.

The only thing that would concern me in backing up a boat is parking it in a small lot with a ton of other vehicles. If I can get that solved, I'm set!

Fish On,

SFJ

Get Hooked!

#69321 - 02/11/03 11:01 PM Re: Launch Ramp Ediquite
HBP Offline
Spawner

Loc: Everett,Wa
I have to use the tailgate down tecnique,when I don't have the boat on the trailer. The trailer is so narrow and short,I can't see it in the mirrors or thru the back window. I learned that trick along time ago.

- no boss, no clock, no stress, no dress code...no shoes,no shirts, no problems. - Kenny Chesney -

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Swifty27
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 378 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13525
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63781 Topics
645402 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |