THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#695970 - 07/26/11 03:30 PM Dang, another Folbe bites the dust!
fp Offline
Old Duffer

Loc: Hoquiam,WA.USA
I have to go on record that I do like my Folbe rod holders but for the second time I had one fall out of the gunnel lock and head to Davy Jones's locker. Pretty expensive for that piece of $hit locking system.

I know why they are built that way but the locking device is still a piece of $hit.

Now, as I can't find one here in the Aberdeen/Hoquiam area I gotta go out of town and buy a new one.

Anybody figure out a way to secure the rod holder to the piece of $hit locking base that it can't come out? I'm headed for the drill motor right now and gonna attach some bailing wire too them. Now, that's gonna be pretty! But, should match pretty good: a piece of $hit wire to a piece of $hit locking system.

My name is fp and I don't approve the piece of $hit locking system on the Folbes.

#695978 - 07/26/11 03:56 PM Re: Dang, another Folbe bites the dust! [Re: fp]
Twitch Offline
The Beav

Loc: Oregon Central Coast
I've seen a few guys lock them in, then place a pan head screw snug next to the locking mechanism & into the base, so that the lock slider can't move back into the free/release position.

I've lost one in the salt, and almsot lost one a month ago when a front seater didn't lock it, went to pop the rod out on a summer, and flipped the rod holder overboard. I jump over after it, went under, grabbed it and climbed back up over the side of the drifter, all while going downstream with my friend fighting the fish smile

I've also seen people paint the inside of the locking piece, so you can see with a quick glance around the boat if any paint is showing, indicating a rod holder that isn't locked...

#695979 - 07/26/11 03:57 PM Re: Dang, another Folbe bites the dust! [Re: fp]
MartyMoose Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Lake Stevens, Wa
Well.....$hit
A veteran - whether active duty, retired, or national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America," for an amount of "up to and including my life."

#696008 - 07/26/11 05:29 PM Re: Dang, another Folbe bites the dust! [Re: MartyMoose]
kalamageo Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Oly
I'm thinking about putting a bright colored sticker, like for the back of spinner blades, so I can see if someone is trying to donate one of my rods to the briney deep. I've had the Folbe for 5 years now and NO problems. BUT, you guys are scaring the hell out of me............maybe you guys are just dangerous?

#696011 - 07/26/11 05:48 PM Re: Dang, another Folbe bites the dust! [Re: kalamageo]
Canyon Man Offline
The Golden Child

Loc: Bothell, WA U.S.A.
Just get the push button snap in mounts and problem solved.

CM
Your Insurance Professional

#696013 - 07/26/11 06:04 PM Re: Dang, another Folbe bites the dust! [Re: Canyon Man]
Sleddddder Offline
Spawner

Loc: Lake Stevens
I run Scotty bases under my Folbe's. The new Scotty pushbutton locks are slick.

#696018 - 07/26/11 06:28 PM Re: Dang, another Folbe bites the dust! [Re: Sleddddder]
steely slammer Online   content
Three Time Spawner

GO FRED GO

mainly region 6

#696020 - 07/26/11 06:29 PM Re: Dang, another Folbe bites the dust! [Re: steely slammer]
Sky-Guy Offline
The Tide changed

Loc: Everett
FP, I cant see how its a folbe problem if the lock wasnt..well...locked.

#696037 - 07/26/11 07:06 PM Re: Dang, another Folbe bites the dust! [Re: Sky-Guy]
FGB Offline
Smolt

Loc: Olympia
Buddy of mine went with the new Scottys, loves em. No issues lik eteh Folbe releases. I'm switching to Scottys on the DB.

#696039 - 07/26/11 07:09 PM Re: Dang, another Folbe bites the dust! [Re: FGB]
STRIKE ZONE Offline
GOOD LUCK

Loc: Hobart,Wa U.S.A
What Sky said.Good luck,
SZ

#696047 - 07/26/11 08:01 PM Re: Dang, another Folbe bites the dust! [Re: fp]
Direct-Drive Offline
ExtenZe Field Tester

Loc: Vancouver, WA
Originally Posted By: fp
But, should match pretty good: a piece of $hit wire to a piece of $hit locking system.

My name is fp and I don't approve the piece of $hit locking system on the Folbes.

Hey fp, sounds like you're all healed up beer

DD
Who's been usin' Tempress FO's since '84 without a loss.
Well, we did have a rocket launch one day due to user error.
"Did you see that ?!" was all that was said by the unfortunate front-seater.

#696056 - 07/26/11 08:23 PM Re: Dang, another Folbe bites the dust! [Re: Direct-Drive]
eyeFISH Offline
Ornamental Rice Bowl

Spring loaded automatic lock on pedestal base mounts and flush mounts are 100% foolproof.

But they both require a flat horizontal surface.... like a coaming gunnel.... or a guide transom with a flat rear workspace/shelf.

If you are stuck with sidemounts, every fishing day with newby's should start with a FOLBE 101 lecture. Also helps to just get in the habit of continually checking the slide locks all day long.

"If you don't kill them, they will spawn." (Carcassman)

The Keen Eye MD
Long Live the Kings!

#696082 - 07/26/11 09:28 PM Re: Dang, another Folbe bites the dust! [Re: ]
steelhd101 Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Everett, WA.
I have lost one too. The lock system is a p.o.s. I do like the idea of paint or a sticker so a quick glance will tell if it is locked or not. Thanks lots.

#696087 - 07/26/11 09:33 PM Re: Dang, another Folbe bites the dust! [Re: Sky-Guy]
fp Offline
Old Duffer

Originally Posted By: Sky-Guy

There ya go, they didn't get locked. So, they are gone. And, it looks like I'm not alone with problems of losing a holder.

#696089 - 07/26/11 09:38 PM Re: Dang, another Folbe bites the dust! [Re: Direct-Drive]
fp Offline
Old Duffer

[quote=Direct-Drive][quote=fp] But, should match pretty good: a piece of $hit wire to a piece of $hit locking system.

Hey fp, sounds like you're all healed up beer

Getting there DD. Not healed up all the way but a little at a time. Maybe gonna take a year to feel good again but at least I'm still alive.

DD
Who's been usin' Tempress FO's since '84 without a loss.

Tempress started out with locks like Folbe has now and then at least they fixed them so you didn't have to slide the lock to make them stay in the boat. I also think the Fish On's aren't much and took them off of both my boats as they are much worse then Folbes.

#696090 - 07/26/11 09:40 PM Re: Dang, another Folbe bites the dust! [Re: steelhd101]
fp Offline
Old Duffer

Originally Posted By: steelhd101
I have lost one too. The lock system is a p.o.s. I do like the idea of paint or a sticker so a quick glance will tell if it is locked or not. Thanks lots.

There ya go. I ain't alone any more. But ya shouldn't have to look for paint marks that ya have to put on a holder.

fp

#696092 - 07/26/11 09:42 PM Re: Dang, another Folbe bites the dust! [Re: fp]
AP a.k.a. Kaiser D Offline
Hippie

Loc: B'ham
All you have to do for the Folbe's that everyone raves about is to modify them! rofl

#696093 - 07/26/11 09:44 PM Re: Dang, another Folbe bites the dust! [Re: Sky-Guy]
fp Offline
Old Duffer

Originally Posted By: Sky-Guy

As I see that I'm not alone hating the Folbe locking setup I am thinking it is a Folbe problem. I did say I like the rod holder but I have different words for the POS locking device.

Took the drill motor out and fixed the holders so no launching them in the krik no mo.

fp

#696111 - 07/26/11 10:56 PM Re: Dang, another Folbe bites the dust! [Re: fp]
Somethingsmellsf Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Ahhhhh, damn dog!
Whats a krik?

I thought that was a catch in your geddy-up!

Hope they solve the Folbe problems, I want to put them on my salt boat.

Fishy

The idea of a middle class life is slowly drifting away as each and every day we realize that our nation is becoming more of a corporatacracy.

I think name-calling is the right way to handle this one/Dan S

We're here from the WDFW and we're here to help--Uhh Ohh!

#696116 - 07/26/11 11:10 PM Re: Dang, another Folbe bites the dust! [Re: fp]
RognSue Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: edmonds
fp...we've been there done that, only one time...it still doesn't make it any cheaper...still love our Folbe's...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
landcruiserwilly, Tom Trune
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
1 registered (wolverine), 433 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63778 Topics
645372 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |